Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager 2 > FHM 2 - General Discussions

Old 09-30-2015, 07:45 AM   #61
PromisedPain
Minors (Double A)

Heck I'm not even sure if anyone would willingly take Bolland's contract in real life which is 5.5M. He is overpaid as ... Great for the Panthers, I guess.

Last edited by PromisedPain; 09-30-2015 at 08:03 AM.
PromisedPain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 07:59 AM   #62
Havokk
Minors (Single A)

My concern is the Draft Picks value. I tried trading my first overall pick for Colton Orr and the team would take it. Tried trading anyone on my team for lower draft picks and the game declined. This needs to be fixed! Yes i can go into commisioner mode and do it but still...

Oh and if you are going to have an option for Force Trade added for the game it would be nice to utilize it. Will this be fixed. I am not liking the game much at this time.
Havokk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 08:50 AM   #63
Gerry58
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teloch View Post
The ways I've looked at it:
- The season hasn't started, so stats can't be a part of it yet.
- It's a swap between two RW's, so it's not a desicion based on player position.
- Winnipeg is still 7M over cap floor, so it's unlikely it's to get higher salary in.
- Winnipeg has some potential players like Scheifele (C) and Trouba (D) in Ehlers' age range, which would make it reasonable to keep him instead of trading him for a 36-yo veteran.
- Trade for veteran leadership...maybe. Dupuis is not a leader type as he stands at 15 with the stat and Winnipeg is packed with 15+ players.
- Bolster the current roster of Winnipeg...the most likely choice. Dupuis is one of their better defending RWs now, but in this case the AI would be overextending like crazy, trading their top prospect for a fourth liner (yes, I checked where they put Duper).

So, any insight would be appreciated, as I would like to undestand the game better, before judging it.

IMO you are over-thinking, assuming that the AI is making decisions like a real GM would. Come on, it's only a game
Gerry58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 09:05 AM   #64
krownroyal83
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Trade # 4
NJ sends Mackenzie Blackwood to Carolina for Jeff Skinner.
Unless Blackwood is an next up and coming top tier goalie prospect, there is no way Carolina trades one of there best young players for this prospect straight up.
Same exact trade happened in my game as well. Happened in season 1 right? Make the best of it Skinner had scored 8 points in the first 12 games before being traded for Blackwood. He finished the year with 51 points. It may have been a salary dump but he was 23 and there were better players you could have gotten rid of then a 1st line point producing winger.
krownroyal83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 09:09 AM   #65
Teloch
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry58 View Post
IMO you are over-thinking, assuming that the AI is making decisions like a real GM would. Come on, it's only a game
Well, the thread went from giggling to silly trades to people being all serious about it all, so I figured I might as well try and understand why it all is happening.
Teloch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 09:11 AM   #66
mpejkrm
All Star Reserve

I'm just interested in why 90% of the trades I'm seeing are 1-for-1 player deals. Those are pretty rare IRL
mpejkrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 09:16 AM   #67
Hoiles
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldash View Post
Weird, but Tinordi, Brown and Lack all went on waivers in my game as well...I wonder why that's happening to those specific players.
IRL, Tinordi's in a battle for the last d-man spot for the Habs and there's a decent chance he'll be put on waivers in a few days, so it's not unrealistic to me.

The trades that djsatu posted aren't really that bad except for the Rielly one, and that's specifically because Toronto is rebuilding, both in real life and in the game. That said, in a GM game the trade AI has to be as robust as possible in order to make it a challenge and give a sense of accomplishment when you finally win the Cup. For example, if you could make lopsided trades like the recent Seguin and F. Forsberg ones, it would be much too easy to build a dynasty. As I'm sure the process to make trades in real life is a lot harder than clicking some boxes, I think the AI should be more reject-happy to even things out.

The weakness of the AI seem to be young, potential (4+) star players, with low cap hits to boot, so at least a tweak should be made to force teams to hold on to these players unless they're legit cup contenders.
Hoiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 05:26 PM   #68
djsatu
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoiles View Post
IRL, Tinordi's in a battle for the last d-man spot for the Habs and there's a decent chance he'll be put on waivers in a few days, so it's not unrealistic to me.

The trades that djsatu posted aren't really that bad except for the Rielly one, and that's specifically because Toronto is rebuilding, both in real life and in the game. That said, in a GM game the trade AI has to be as robust as possible in order to make it a challenge and give a sense of accomplishment when you finally win the Cup. For example, if you could make lopsided trades like the recent Seguin and F. Forsberg ones, it would be much too easy to build a dynasty. As I'm sure the process to make trades in real life is a lot harder than clicking some boxes, I think the AI should be more reject-happy to even things out.

The weakness of the AI seem to be young, potential (4+) star players, with low cap hits to boot, so at least a tweak should be made to force teams to hold on to these players unless they're legit cup contenders.
This is just meant for discussion to see what other's have been seeing, and to understand the AI logic in the game. I just want to know why teams are trading young 4+ star potential players for over the hill 30 year old has been's. The Lack deal surprised me as Carolina just got him in real life, so why would they trade him already? New players on teams should not be traded right away. Foligno was traded a second time in my first sim last night, which again would probably not happen in real life. Im sure the development team is hard at work on tweaking the game in its early life. Will lower the trade frequency on my next test coming up shortly, and im curious to see what moves I will see happen today. Keep up the good work guys, no doubt you are onto something good with the game

Front Office Football 7, Football Manager 2016, EHM EA, BBCF, OOTP 16

Last edited by djsatu; 09-30-2015 at 05:29 PM.
djsatu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 07:08 PM   #69
pucku33
Major Leagues

As the Coyotes, I was able to get Kane for Tinordi (whom i got from waiver wire), Upshall (signed as FA), a 2nd, 3rd and 5th rd picks.

I also got Cam Fowler for Grossmann, 6th and 7th.
pucku33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 08:33 PM   #70
Hoiles
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsatu View Post
This is just meant for discussion to see what other's have been seeing, and to understand the AI logic in the game. I just want to know why teams are trading young 4+ star potential players for over the hill 30 year old has been's. The Lack deal surprised me as Carolina just got him in real life, so why would they trade him already? New players on teams should not be traded right away. Foligno was traded a second time in my first sim last night, which again would probably not happen in real life. Im sure the development team is hard at work on tweaking the game in its early life. Will lower the trade frequency on my next test coming up shortly, and im curious to see what moves I will see happen today. Keep up the good work guys, no doubt you are onto something good with the game
Lack being traded IRL is pretty much irrelevant to the FHM deal, as the computer doesn't know this, however it is a weakness if he's being put on waivers by the same team a week later.

In another questionable trade, I was able to make every Hab message board fan's dream come true and trade Desharnais + 2nd rounder to Edmonton for Jordan Eberle. They both have 3.5 stars (Eberle 4.0 potential), but Eberle (as expected) was outpointing him 16/9 20 games into the season. That said, Edmonton flat out refused a deal to completely reverse the trade, so that part of the AI is intact. Anyways, I'll make sure to pass on the word to boost the game's sale in Quebec

I'm putting these out because as I'm playing more with this version, I see huge leaps and bounds compared to the first version, in terms of the sim engine, interactivity and presentation. The trade AI isn't horrible but needs tweaking, when that occurs it'll be sitting comfortably on my laptop next to OOTP.
Hoiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 10:06 AM   #71
brent_dog
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havokk View Post
My concern is the Draft Picks value. I tried trading my first overall pick for Colton Orr and the team would take it. Tried trading anyone on my team for lower draft picks and the game declined. This needs to be fixed! Yes i can go into commisioner mode and do it but still....
This is eactly the same issue I'm having... no AI team seems willing to swap players for draft picks, even 7th rounders... makes a strategy of trying to rebuild through the draft somewhat difficult!
brent_dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 04:25 AM   #72
krownroyal83
All Star Reserve

Despite the fact that trades don't always seem to make sense on the surface i like the fact that big name players will potentially get traded from time to time just like real life.
Trading in this game has improved quite a bit since the game dropped though. It's one of the main things and hardest things to get right in a sim game and it looks like it's heading in the right direction.
krownroyal83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 10:05 AM   #73
nyline
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by brent_dog View Post
This is eactly the same issue I'm having... no AI team seems willing to swap players for draft picks, even 7th rounders... makes a strategy of trying to rebuild through the draft somewhat difficult!

I agree -- this is perplexing. I can understand the AI GM saying "that pick is too low" but essentially no matter what the pick that is offered, the AI says "NO WAY"

I think this is a "feature" not a bug, but it's a feature that I hope is changed.
nyline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 10:57 AM   #74
Penfold75
Major Leagues

Have tried to make a few trades with teams using players I have taken in the expansion draft plus draft picks to try and improve my team and a lot of these trades are rejected as well. Value of draft picks in trades does seem a bit off.

Mario Lemieux - "Every day is a great day for hockey."
Penfold75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 03:53 PM   #75
facelessman
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenoser View Post
For the record - I didn't think it was a bad trade, I was just looking for other thoughts on it.

Edmonton has depth at centre, they need depth at wing and they need defense. I thought they might have gotten a high draft pick too, but I don't think it was a rip off by any means.
With McLellan at the helm, they won't worry about defense, especially without Mr. "Acquire Dmen regardless" Doug Wilson as their GM.

Signed,

Hardcore Sharks Fan since the inception.

"I want a refund" = "I'm not willing to explore the learning curve, I need instant gratification".
facelessman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 03:59 PM   #76
zyberianwarrior
All Star Starter

well I'm still in Fantasy league mode not really messing with the real players but I've seen a few interesting trades.
zyberianwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote