Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 15 > OOTP 15 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 15 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2014 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 02-10-2015, 07:50 PM   #1
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Convert a C to LF?

I have a 23-year-old catcher who is excellent offensively and average on defense. He is a left-handed batter, but he hits LH pitching ok. On a 20-80 scale, his contact is 75 vs. RH and 55 vs. LH. He would have won the batting title (.355) as a rookie if he had enough at bats to qualify, but I rested him quite a bit against LH pitching because I have a good RH-hitting backup catcher who is better defensively.

I am considering moving the young catcher to the outfield (left) because I am weak in left field and I have two more good catching prospects at AAA. His outfield ratings are: range 45, error 60, arm 60 but he has zero experience so no rating there. I can live with some defensive shortcomings for a while if he will develop into an average left fielder eventually. However, I don't want to send him to the minors to learn; I would rather leave him at catcher and have his offense. He might be an all-star catcher even with the mediocre defense because his offense is that good.

1. Would you do it or leave him at catcher?
2. How likely am I to be successful if I start in spring training?
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 08:35 PM   #2
ihatenames
Hall Of Famer

I would leave him at catcher until one your catching prospects are ready. Then I would put him in left if you still have a need there and let him learn the position in the majors.

I wouldn't do that with a middle infielder but I would have no problem with a left fielder.
Old 02-10-2015, 08:58 PM   #3
simcrazy
All Star Reserve

That's tough. He's going to be a butcher out there, even if you start in spring training. How about DH? I hate bad defense, so I'd probably DH him or trade him for a more well-rounded player. If those options are off the table, I'd play him at catcher, because bad outfield defense will make your pitching staff look bad. How about 1B, what are his infield ratings?
simcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 09:36 PM   #4
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Did I mention that one of the catching prospects was the MVP of his AAA league last season?

I don't have the DH in this league. My 1B is the best player on my team and one the top 5 players in the league. He can't play another position.
Old 02-10-2015, 09:48 PM   #5
TomVeal
All Star Starter

Since you have an embarrassment of catcher riches, I suggest trying to trade your other catcher for a better LF than you have now. Then start your 23-year-old at catcher, with the AAA prospect as his backup. After next season, you'll have a better idea of who should be your regular catcher.
TomVeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 12:20 AM   #6
JCarter93
Minors (Double A)

You might want to take his Work Ethic and Intelligence into account. The higher those two ratings are the better the chance that he will learn the position. However, picking it up in the majors takes more time than it does in the minors or in spring training. Trading him once you've got a replacement might be the better option. LF's are pretty fungible anyways.
JCarter93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 07:53 AM   #7
Number4
Major Leagues

I'd convert him to LF without a doubt. He can do double duty as LF and backup catcher, and who do you rather use as a pinch hitter, backup catcher or backup LF? You can save a roster spot there.
Number4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 08:22 AM   #8
saturn2187
All Star Reserve

Do you play out your games individually? If so you can switch him to LF late in games if/when his defense won't matter as much. Do this and in spring training play him full time. It will take some time but he will get there.
saturn2187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 08:32 AM   #9
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

His intelligence is "very high" and his work ethic is "high". I considered that when formulating the original idea, along with his good ratings in outfield skills.

I sim most of my games, so he would either be the regular LF or not.

I am leaning toward TomVeal's suggestion at the moment, but it depends upon the demand for my former #1 catcher and supply of good, young, and affordable outfielders. My budget demands someone under club control and preferably pre-arbitration.
Old 02-11-2015, 10:17 AM   #10
endgame
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomVeal View Post
Since you have an embarrassment of catcher riches, I suggest trying to trade your other catcher for a better LF than you have now. Then start your 23-year-old at catcher, with the AAA prospect as his backup. After next season, you'll have a better idea of who should be your regular catcher.
This'd be my approach. Go get what you need, rather than create it. I know budgets crimp desires, but usually better to acquire than convert, IMHO. I never have wrapped my head around conversions as a real benefit in most cases.
Old 02-11-2015, 10:41 AM   #11
BIG17EASY
Hall Of Famer

If he's adequate defensively at catcher, my first plan would be to try to use the catching prospects in a trade to acquire a left fielder. If that doesn't work, then I would put the current catcher in left field in spring training to build some experience and see how it goes.
BIG17EASY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 06:39 PM   #12
Number4
Major Leagues

I don't think you should give up on him that early. With that age, positional and mental ratings, I'd say a full spring training in LF might get you a usable left fielder. Force start him every single game there.

He'll get there in time, and with age 23, good intelligence and work rating, I see no reason why that would take ages.

You can then try out your prospects, in the knowledge that in case they fail, there is a good catcher the time it takes to erase "7" and write down "2" on the lineup card away.

If one of those prospects turn out as a good starter, you can go with him and the LF as your roster catchers - the LF starts at C on the rest days and you'll be able to insert a forth outfielder (usually decent bat) instead of a backup C (usually the worst non-pitching bat) into the lineup. Also, pinch-hitting or running for your starter won't hurt the team that much if the game goes to extra innings.
Old 02-11-2015, 07:56 PM   #13
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

As OOTP luck would have it, another team offered me a trade for a 23 y/o LF with one year of good performance under his belt. They wanted a starting pitcher that was a candidate for my fifth. I had other candidates, so I took the deal and I still have all of the catchers.

I say luck, but a weakness at a position is always a good way to attract trade offers. The LF obviously fell out of favor with his old team for some reason - maybe I will be back in the market once I figure it out.
Old 02-11-2015, 09:11 PM   #14
Number4
Major Leagues

So you got all the bases covered, which is always a good thing.

I'd still give the catcher some spring innings in LF, just to have another option. You can try the new LF then in RF or somewhere, so even if the C stays at C in the regular season, he could move there in case of injury.

Edit: And him playing LF means more time for the prospects behind the plate.

Last edited by Number4; 02-11-2015 at 09:13 PM.
Old 02-20-2015, 11:26 AM   #15
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Interesting development... in spring training, with no input from me, my AI manager played the starting catcher as a substitute in RIGHT field enough times to give him a 20 rating there. He has used him a couple of times as a RF sub in the regular season too. Maybe he thinks RF is a better spot for him because there are more RH hitters in the league. It makes me consider moving him there next season when the best of the catching prospects is ready to play for the big club.
Old 02-20-2015, 11:29 AM   #16
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcin View Post
Interesting development... in spring training, with no input from me, my AI manager played the starting catcher as a substitute in RIGHT field enough times to give him a 20 rating there. He has used him a couple of times as a RF sub in the regular season too. Maybe he thinks RF is a better spot for him because there are more RH hitters in the league. It makes me consider moving him there next season when the best of the catching prospects is ready to play for the big club.
Check mark for OOTP!

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 12:06 PM   #17
TomVeal
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcin View Post
The AI may have thought that his relatively strong arm would be most useful in right field.
TomVeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 01:28 PM   #18
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomVeal View Post
The AI may have thought that his relatively strong arm would be most useful in right field.

This is more likely.