Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: Online Leagues
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2003, 02:37 PM   #21
darkhorse
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by wireman
I never doubt DH in OOTP matters, but I am curious as to why he's so certain Easter will get the nod.

Is it his league-leading RBI total, or something else? Or is this a "trade secret"?

Or are you just so darned sagacious?
Quote:
Originally posted by bigsmooth
I am sure Dark Horse is right as well, but I know who the real winner is, and it isn't Luke Easter...Sorry Brooklyn, but Sievers had a better year and should be NL ROY!!!

Bigsmooth!!!
I agree with both of my comrades that Sievers clearly had the better year but OOTP pays far more attention to HR and RBI when handing out awards and this will lead the game to dole out the prize to Easter.

I should have known why Louie was a Sievers fan.

Old 07-20-2003, 02:39 PM   #22
darkhorse
Hall Of Famer

No doubt, this offseason all the awards will be placed in the hands of WinShares and the voting of the PWBL GM's. Something we've been moving toward but will finally reach complete fruition.
Sievers will receive his due accolades in this setup.

Last edited by darkhorse; 07-20-2003 at 02:41 PM.
darkhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2003, 03:25 PM   #23
darkhorse
Hall Of Famer

Another shocking piece of PWBL trivia. Hal Newhouser has 161 victories and is just entering his prime, at age 28. He has 127 wins in the past six seasons alone. If he continues this level of pitching for another decade, the numbers he amasses could be startling.

Old 07-20-2003, 09:21 PM   #24
darkhorse
Hall Of Famer

To put Newhouser's remarkable win record in some context, Cy Young, the MLB leader in wins with 511, had totaled 167 victories through his 28th birthday. Different eras and OOTP's devouring of players who hit 38 will keep Newhouser far from that epic total but it touches on how amazing is the pace Hal has set.
Old 07-20-2003, 09:45 PM   #25
Nuk
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally posted by darkhorse
The series this past week between the Yankees and Red Sox is worthy of a writeup. Amazing and dramatic contests between two fine, worthy opponents.
Let's not - I'd rather not re-live the pain.

Admittedly - it's an interesting turnaround from '48 when the Red Sox owned the Yankees (I think I took 15 of 19 or something like that). But Ned Garver's sophmore slump - and some general struggles from my pitching staff (really - only Dave Ferriss has played to expectations - well, Tex Hughson has too - just because of all his injuries). The offence is carrying the team (though Bobby Doerr is having an awful season - and Culberson is struggling in the second half) - Mickey Vernon has done nicely after coming over from the Nats. And as awful as Doerr has been - Dario Lodigiani has been as big a surprise - as the expected backup utility infielder has been moved into starting roles, and has excelled.

And the future looks good - as names like Stobbs, Walker, Goodman and Avila will make their debuts with the Sox in the coming years.
Nuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2003, 11:15 PM   #26
darkhorse
Hall Of Famer

1915 Photo of Casey Stengel with the Dodgers.

1947 AL pennant winners, the Yankees endured defeat in the World Series at the hands of the Colossal Cards and the malaise spread to the following season. New York spiraled into a funk they never snapped out of and finished the '48 campaign at 74-80 and in 7th place. This would never do and manager Bucky Harris paid the price with his job.

Yankees faithful's heads were spinning after the dismal season and fans were further puzzled when GM Jim Grimley hired Casey Stengel to the manager post. Stengel had compiled one winning season and a cumulative record of 581-742 in stints with the Dodgers and Boston Bees. After being fired by Boston, Stengel refurbished his reputation with turns in Milwaukee (AA), Kansas City (AA) and Oakland (PCL), winning a pennant with the Oaks in the '48 season.

Still, there were grave doubts about his ability to handle the biggest club in baseball and they were exacerbated when bitter rivals, the Red Sox, laid waste to the AL in the first half of the '49 schedule and built up a double digit lead in the standings. The powerful offense was shortcircuited by an inability to consistently get ducks on the pond.

One area that would carry the team all season was the sterling, magnificent pitching. Hal Newhouser has pitched with sublime skill. Mort Cooper has pieced together his best season since '46 when he led all major league pitchers in WinShares. #3 starter Ed Bahr arrived from Steeltown in a swap for second sacker, Joe "Flash" Gordon. #4 hurler, Bill Bevens, would be the ace of many a team around the league.

After the All-Star break, the Red Sox pitching began to fail them and the lessons of patience that Stengel and the coaching staff had been preaching all season began to fall on receptive ears. The batters walked more, the heart of the order rang the dinner bell sharply and the runs flowed. The Boston lead began to shrink rapidly and a vital series against the Beantowners this past week was a resounding success as the broom was broken out. A pair of heart-stopping victories and a laugher completed the sweep.

The Yankees had done it. In a weeks time they had caught, passed and mounted a 4 game lead on their fiercest competitor. With 12 games remaining, it seems almost insurmountable, but if any team is equal to the challenge, it is the Red Sox.

A few final notes about New York and how a 91-51 team was built from the ashes of recent disappointment. The team leads all of baseball in ERA, opponents BA and runs allowed. They are 2nd in fewest HR allowed, 4th best in free passes issued. The offense has pounded out a major league leading 160 HR and is 6th in BB and runs scored. The defense is superb.

Stengel has nurtured and watched with pleasure as Ralph Kiner has rebounded from past inglory and shaped his best season to date. The young slugger is an immense talent and his future is as bright as that of the club for which he plies his wares.

"The secret of managing is to keep the five guys who hate you away from the five who are undecided." -- Casey Stengel

Last edited by darkhorse; 07-20-2003 at 11:25 PM.
Old 07-21-2003, 12:28 AM   #27
The Professor
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
1947 AL pennant winners, the Yankees endured defeat in the World Series at the hands of the Colossal Cards and the malaise spread to the following season. New York spiraled into a funk they never snapped out of and finished the '48 campaign at 74-80 and in 7th place. This would never do and manager Bucky Harris paid the price with his job.

Yankees faithful's heads were spinning after the dismal season and fans were further puzzled when GM Jim Grimley hired Casey Stengel to the manager post. Stengel had compiled one winning season and a cumulative record of 581-742 in stints with the Dodgers and Boston Bees. After being fired by Boston, Stengel refurbished his reputation with turns in Milwaukee (AA), Kansas City (AA) and Oakland (PCL), winning a pennant with the Oaks in the '48 season.

Still, there were grave doubts about his ability to handle the biggest club in baseball and they were exacerbated when bitter rivals, the Red Sox, laid waste to the AL in the first half of the '49 schedule and built up a double digit lead in the standings. The powerful offense was shortcircuited by an inability to consistently get ducks on the pond.

One area that would carry the team all season was the sterling, magnificent pitching. Hal Newhouser has pitched with sublime skill. Mort Cooper has pieced together his best season since '46 when he led all major league pitchers in WinShares. #3 starter Ed Bahr arrived from Steeltown in a swap for second sacker, Joe "Flash" Gordon. #4 hurler, Bill Bevens, would be the ace of many a team around the league.

After the All-Star break, the Red Sox pitching began to fail them and the lessons of patience that Stengel and the coaching staff had been preaching all season began to fall on receptive ears. The batters walked more, the heart of the order rang the dinner bell sharply and the runs flowed. The Boston lead began to shrink rapidly and a vital series against the Beantowners this past week was a resounding success as the broom was broken out. A pair of heart-stopping victories and a laugher completed the sweep.

The Yankees had done it. In a weeks time they had caught, passed and mounted a 4 game lead on their fiercest competitor. With 12 games remaining, it seems almost insurmountable, but if any team is equal to the challenge, it is the Red Sox.

A few final notes about New York and how a 91-51 team was built from the ashes of recent disappointment. The team leads all of baseball in ERA, opponents BA and runs allowed. They are 2nd in fewest HR allowed, 4th best in free passes issued. The offense has pounded out a major league leading 160 HR and is 6th in BB and runs scored. The defense is superb.

Stengel has nurtured and watched with pleasure as Ralph Kiner has rebounded from past inglory and shaped his best season to date. The young slugger is an immense talent and his future is as bright as that of the club for which he plies his wares.

"The secret of managing is to keep the five guys who hate you away from the five who are undecided." -- Casey Stengel
Fantastic!!
Old 07-21-2003, 02:16 AM   #28
darkhorse
Hall Of Famer

I have to commend Jim Grimley for not giving up on Kiner. He could have easily thrown up his hands in frustration and traded him to the A's, Cubs or another suitor. It was pretty ghastly to watch at Yankees Stadium the past two seasons as Kiner flailed ineffectually hitting .179 in '47 and remained sub-Mendoza at .194 in '48.

Jim never gave up on Ralph and his reward has been manifold.

Old 07-21-2003, 02:22 AM   #29
holyroller
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I have to commend Jim Grimley for not giving up on Kiner. He could have easily thrown up his hands in frustration and traded him to the A's, Cubs or another suitor. It was pretty ghastly to watch at Yankees Stadium the past two seasons as Kiner flailed ineffectually hitting .179 in '47 and remained sub-Mendoza at .194 in '48.

Jim never gave up on Ralph and his reward has been manifold.
While I give him credit for his wisdom, I am not pleased that Jim didn't discard the budding superstar. The Cubs would have gladly taken his power and patience to the bank, and quite possibly the top of the NL.

TonyJ et. al.'s alias

“I confused it with the chicken’s neck,” Mocanu, who was admitted to the emergency hospital in Galati, was quoted as saying. “I cut it ... and the dog rushed and ate it.”
holyroller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 02:28 AM   #30
darkhorse
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally posted by holyroller
The Cubs would have gladly taken his power and patience to the bank, and quite possibly the top of the NL.
Well, I could mention Bill Nicholson but that would just be mean.
Old 07-21-2003, 02:35 AM   #31
AccardoOutfit29
All Star Reserve

Har!
AccardoOutfit29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2003, 02:45 AM   #32
holyroller
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Well, I could mention Bill Nicholson but that would just be mean.
Actually, Nicholson has not outperformed Cavaretta or Valo. He has been better than Pafko, but that is more of an off-year for Pafko, on-year for Nicholson situation than an indication of their talent. Kiner would have been an upgrade over any of those three other than possibly Valo (who is once again having one of the best quiet years in baseball). Joost has cooled down from last season, but I still have confidence in his ability and he will be our opening day SS next season.

TonyJ et. al.'s alias

“I confused it with the chicken’s neck,” Mocanu, who was admitted to the emergency hospital in Galati, was quoted as saying. “I cut it ... and the dog rushed and ate it.”
Old 07-21-2003, 02:57 AM   #33
darkhorse
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Joost has cooled down from last season, but I still have confidence in his ability and he will be our opening day SS next season.
Arky Vaughan, if still in a Cubs uniform, won't give up that spot without a fight. Splendid year from the geezer and his numbers against LHP have shot up.

Nicholson's numbers look pretty normal for his career. Though when you factor in 77 games at Comiskey.....

Last edited by darkhorse; 07-21-2003 at 03:00 AM.
Old 07-21-2003, 02:59 AM   #34
holyroller
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Arky Vaughan, if still in a Cubs uniform, won't give up that spot without a fight. Splendid year from the geezer and his numbers against LHP have shot up.
With an E rating on defense and a year to decline offensively, Arky sounds more and more like a 3B/super sub.

TonyJ et. al.'s alias

Old 07-21-2003, 03:04 AM   #35
darkhorse
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
With an E rating on defense and a year to decline offensively, Arky sounds more and more like a 3B/super sub.
Seems Arky has taken a couple of lumps in the range department this season. Wasn't aware of that. Still, he could hit .138 against RHP blindfolded and hogtied. Joost, on the other hand.......
Old 07-21-2003, 03:23 AM   #36
holyroller
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Seems Arky has taken a couple of lumps in the range department this season. Wasn't aware of that. Still, he could hit .138 against RHP blindfolded and hogtied. Joost, on the other hand.......
Yeah, Joost has definitely slowed down. I am starting to lose some patience, but I will take his range and his middling bat for now. The Cubs will have a higher pick than in recent years, and a bat is going to top the list.

TonyJ et. al.'s alias

Old 07-21-2003, 01:34 PM   #37
darkhorse
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Yeah, Joost has definitely slowed down. I am starting to lose some patience, but I will take his range and his middling bat for now. The Cubs will have a higher pick than in recent years, and a bat is going to top the list.
I don't see Joost playing regularly against RHP, but good luck there.

I was amused to see that the Cubs have allowed the 5th fewest runs in the majors but are only 8th in runs scored. Not the profile for an HR team. Did the Cubs have the opportunity to draft Easter?

Cal Abrams has been pretty ghastly. Reminds me of Dark last season. Let's hope similar, radical improvement results.

Last edited by darkhorse; 07-21-2003 at 01:37 PM.
Old 07-21-2003, 02:56 PM   #38
holyroller
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I don't see Joost playing regularly against RHP, but good luck there.
We'll see on that. If he can't I can always use Arky and his horrid defense, but Joost will get the first shot. Acquiring another middle infielder is a priority however. I am fortunate in that Dark can play both 2B and SS equally well.

Quote:

I was amused to see that the Cubs have allowed the 5th fewest runs in the majors but are only 8th in runs scored. Not the profile for an HR team. Did the Cubs have the opportunity to draft Easter?
No, I believe that he was selected one or two picks before me. I would have taken him in a second.

As for the offense, it is not my usual team indeed and I have been a bit surprised by the lack of production. McCullough has collapsed, Phillips has gone to hell, Joost has tailed of, Jorgensen has not progressed, Pafko is having a down year, and, Abrams has not broken out of the gate well.

Quote:

Cal Abrams has been pretty ghastly. Reminds me of Dark last season. Let's hope similar, radical improvement results.
Well, I am just guessing that his current ratings are not that great. Hopefully with his playing time this year and spring training next year, he will start to approach his potential. Players rated excellent in drawing walks do not grow on trees.

TonyJ et. al.'s alias

Old 07-21-2003, 05:12 PM   #39
darkhorse
Hall Of Famer

I am fortunate in that Dark can play both 2B and SS equally well.

Flexibility is good. The A's have a hella good IF named Jack Wallaesa who has this attribute in spades. Might be worth a look for the Cubbies.

As for the offense, it is not my usual team indeed and I have been a bit surprised by the lack of production. McCullough has collapsed, Phillips has gone to hell, Joost has tailed of, Jorgensen has not progressed, Pafko is having a down year, and, Abrams has not broken out of the gate well.

McCullough, Phillips and Joost are question marks in any season. All have abilities to exploit but none are prodigious talents. Pafko and Abrams will most certainly perform at a higher level next year.

Players rated excellent in drawing walks do not grow on trees.

Aye, indeed. However some, like Elbie Fletcher, are still pretty worthless for the most part.
Old 07-21-2003, 09:15 PM   #40
JDScorch
Minors (Triple A)

Geez, I don't check in for a few days and a great thread pops-up. Excellent write-ups you guys!

As far as my Yankees, I hope they can hold on, it's been a long climb. I was shocked to say the least that I had a 4 game lead after the last sim. We're feeling less than secure, even if we are the "Evil Empire" that is the Yankees. As far as the Newhouser acquisition, I wish I could take credit, but that happened prior to my ownership. I have made some other trades that I hope have had an impact, and I did manage to stay confident that Kiner would turn it around no matter how hard Roger tried to convince me he should be in an A's uniform. It's been a lot of fun, we'll see how it turns out. Stay Tuned....
JDScorch is offline   Reply With Quote