Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > OOTP 19 - Fictional Simulations

OOTP 19 - Fictional Simulations Discuss fictional simulations and their results in this forum.

Old 10-03-2018, 12:55 PM   #1
drewandpedey
Minors (Double A)

Never done a fictional sim before, and I have Questions!

Played hundreds of hours of MLB and Historic MLB games on OOTP19, but never actually done a fictional league. I'm looking to make a league with all fictional players and simulate many years in advance, and see the development and history of the league. Is there anything I should know prior to starting that will improve the league and my experience?
drewandpedey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 01:57 PM   #2
battists
Hall Of Famer

Well, a few thoughts on how to tackle things.

1. Map out your league structure outside of OOTP. Figure out how many leagues, subleagues, teams you want. Pick team names, cities, etc. Figure out your minor league structure. It's much easier to get it right the first time in OOTP than to adjust after you start your game.

2. Think about what you want the league to look like both financially and statistically, and set up your league accordingly. Do you want today's giant salaries? Tons of home runs? Etc. etc.

2. Personally, I think smaller is better. Especially to start. A smaller world lets you get to know your players and teams more intimately. The MLB world is, frankly, HUGE. My fictional world has 32 teams and 5 levels of minors for each team, and it's plenty. Even 16 teams with 3 levels of minors would be plenty to start with, in my opinion.

3. Work with the people in the mods forum to set up custom uniforms and logos for your league. It totally helps with your immersion.

4. Create LOTS of distinct templates and backups along the way. Creating a fictional world can involve some trial and error. It's much easier to adapt if you have various clearly-labeled templates and backups to go back to. And without a doubt, before you actually hit the "start game" button or whatever it is, make a template and save it! If you don't do this, and something goes wrong with the initial player creation in your league, you'll have to recreate your entire game, because all of the flawed players have already been created, which is a huge pain. Then, after you hit "start game", make a backup right then and there, before the initial draft has even happened. Really, templates and backups will make your life much easier to handle the likely trial and error involved in getting a new fictional league "just right".

5. Once you have created your basic game setup, save a backup of the league. Then set it to sim automatically for a long period of time. 24 hours, overnight, something like that. Depending on the size of your game and your computer, you should get numerous years of history. This will be a throwaway copy of your league. Once the sim is done, look around the game and see if there is anything that looks odd. Are people hitting too many home runs? Are contracts too big? Are teams out of money? Do other stats look odd? Take some notes, then go back to your backup and tweak any settings as necessary. Then you can start your actual game.

6. Personally, when I started my league, I simmed 10 years without taking over a team. I think it helped me to understand performance expectations and have a little more sense of history.

7. Consider the idea of potentially doing "stats only." This makes it impossible to reply on the stars, which means you actually have to understand how a player is performing, which adds to the immersion.

Good luck! Let us know if you have more questions!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-03-2018, 02:04 PM   #3
drewandpedey
Minors (Double A)

Thank you very much! I will take this all into account and let you know if I have anymore questions, thanks for taking the time out of your day to help me man - means a lot!
drewandpedey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 06:05 PM   #4
BirdWatcher
Hall Of Famer

Battists suggestions are great! I did almost none of this when I started my first, and current, fictional save. Much of it I am sure I should have done but so far I feel like I've been pretty lucky and things are going along swimmingly (granted, I take it slowly, so only now early on in fourth season of the league.)
But one thing I did do, and totally endorse among Battists suggestions above, is keep it small to start. I set mine up to mirror MLB in 1965, so just two sub-leagues with ten teams each at the major league level. I did set it up with basically full minors (AAA down to Rookie) and a college feeder league, but that's it.
And, as suggested above, I've tried to be fairly intentional about the sorts of statistical and strategic environment I wan't the league to reflect. Though I've made mistakes along the way with this and have decided to embrace them as part of the fun. (They haven't been save breakers, just unplanned variations.)

And I guess that is the main point I am intending to make. Have fun and learn along the way. Of course, the more well-thought out your approach is at the start (which is why you should by all means heed Battists advice) the less likely this all ends in frustration and collapse. But, also embrace some surprise, some confusion, some learning moments. Part of what I love about my fictional save is the extent to which I feel like it has forced me to be more aware of the nuances of player development, in particular, and as just one example, than I was in my previous historical saves.

Now that I have started down the addictive path of the fictional OOTP universe, I can't imagine ever going back. It is such great fun!
Hope you love it too.
BirdWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 10:34 PM   #5
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

i would pre-date any fictional league ~20-30 years and sim to intended start date.

seed players != created for draft players. erase history and it's just like a new league. you can turn off certain things to speed up simming too. turn off asthetic stuff like baseball cards, box scores, replays, news, awards, low detail stats collection per league and et al... then turn it all back on, of course.

that can be a hassle. if you plan to let it run those 20-30 years while you sleep or 12 hours of work, it really won't matter. it will likely finish before you get back to it. in that case, leave your normal settings and avoid the hassle.

also, make templates throughout the creation process. you can delete them later. i number them to keep the order, but sorting by date created would work in most cases.

"1 basic settings done"
"2 mil structure changed or added"

i save a template at various stages of creation. that way if i screw up, i ony have to re-do a small portion of all the work that was done.

don't load a template ontop of existing work... you'll duplicate everything. restart process and load the template onto a fresh new game creation.

these template files are very small as long as you make them during the creation process before 6000 players are added. no worries, and you can delete them later, anyway... i suggest that you save the final template. make one after you load up the league with players, too -- after 20-30 years would be the keeper, this one a temporary step in case of problem. this file will be larger, but you may have some unforseen tweeks you want to include in the template. (only ~200-250mb for a mlb-like league and ~20-30mb without players)

..data\world templates\

making a template with the players obviously locks in the players... this may not be conducive to replayability for some people... weigh the cost of simming 20-30years to turnover league and the ability to merely load the template and run... each to their own on that stuff. they aren't that large, so keeping 2 templates, pre and post 30year sim is not a problem for 99.999% of people.

Last edited by NoOne; 10-03-2018 at 10:37 PM.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 09:38 PM   #6
stevem810
All Star Starter

If you haven't already done it, spend some time on this thread 'Fictional Simulations' to see what others are doing. Cherry pick components that you think you might like to include in your own fictional simulation.

Consider describing your vision of your league using either bullet points or by writing a paragraph. It may help to add clarity to what you want and need to do.

Good luck!
stevem810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 04:00 PM   #7
Sizeman21
Major Leagues

Quick Starts are always a fun way to get immersed if you don't have the time or patients to manually create a league. I found a TX Ranger QS of a fun fictional league called The Great American Baseball Co. set in 1920 with no history. So many directions you could go there.

Or if you do have the time, make sure you are committed to planning, working and re working your league. You are always gunna find something wrong with the initial set up first time through.

A fun way to follow the league you create is to shortlist and follow a single player or a few to watch their career unfold from the draft trough the minors and into stardom.

Battists hit on a good point in that you should be active in the forums here and get to know different people and ask for some graphics or just have a simple question about the game. This community is the best and really never have problems with questions or requests unless you get really annoying asking for too many things at once I have seen, then you get ignored. Be considerate of peoples time but also. don't be afraid to ask for something.

I could ramble on but most of my other points have been hit by people.

Don't be afraid o fail. Have fun and stay positive!

Sizeman21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 01:39 AM   #8
cavebutter
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by battists View Post

4. Create LOTS of distinct templates and backups along the way. Creating a fictional world can involve some trial and error. It's much easier to adapt if you have various clearly-labeled templates and backups to go back to. And without a doubt, before you actually hit the "start game" button or whatever it is, make a template and save it! If you don't do this, and something goes wrong with the initial player creation in your league, you'll have to recreate your entire game, because all of the flawed players have already been created, which is a huge pain. Then, after you hit "start game", make a backup right then and there, before the initial draft has even happened. Really, templates and backups will make your life much easier to handle the likely trial and error involved in getting a new fictional league "just right".

5. Once you have created your basic game setup, save a backup of the league. Then set it to sim automatically for a long period of time. 24 hours, overnight, something like that. Depending on the size of your game and your computer, you should get numerous years of history. This will be a throwaway copy of your league. Once the sim is done, look around the game and see if there is anything that looks odd. Are people hitting too many home runs? Are contracts too big? Are teams out of money? Do other stats look odd? Take some notes, then go back to your backup and tweak any settings as necessary. Then you can start your actual game.

This whole post is excellent.

Numbers 4 and 5 should be mandatory reading for every fictional player.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Logo Gallery
cavebutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 05:49 PM   #9
catholic
Bat Boy

I have been playing this game for the past 3 months, first time player, and I created a fictional league with fantasy draft, mocking the real MLB but with fictional MLB team names and fictional player names. I did not simulate any seasons. I just hit the all Star break yesterday and am having a blast playing this game. Every game I play, no simulation, so I can have controller of everything on and off the field. The only thing I don't do is set lineups for minor league teams and play minor league games. I really enjoy checking on my minor Leaguers and moving them up once they produce. I have made some fun trades. Looking forward to continuing my season and seeing what happens in the off season. It's slow but it's fun, I'm am bonding with my players...haha. Just thought I would share. Peace and all good.
catholic is offline   Reply With Quote