Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Title Bout Championship Boxing > TBCB General Discussions

TBCB General Discussions Talk about the new boxing sim, Title Bout.

Old 07-21-2018, 10:17 AM   #1
zyberianwarrior
All Star Starter

Boxing Resurgence?

With the PBC Championship Boxing, and ESPN (until football season of course) Golden Boy and a few others do you think we are seeing a resurgence in boxing?
zyberianwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 12:39 PM   #2
hamed2
Hall Of Famer

I know we have some weight classes with a number of good fighters that can make for interesting tourney like events.

140, 147, 154 & 160 all have some interesting potential matchups.

The WBSS @ 118 also looks pretty good.
hamed2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 01:06 PM   #3
IceTea
Hall Of Famer

Not in the USA, but boxing is still strong in England, Mexico, Argentina, and a few other spots. It has been marginalized to "Niche" status in the states.
IceTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 01:16 PM   #4
Cap
Hall Of Famer

This comes up every year or so. There's so much competition out there for your sports dollars and very little media interest in boxing. It's become an "event sport". Only the big hyped names attract viewers. As has been said here and elsewhere, you don't have the buildup of young fighters on free TV anymore. To follow boxing you need premium cable channels or streaming, neither of which I bother with. Newspapers rarely cover fights and they are fading out themselves. The world is changing. Maybe boxing belongs in the past.

Cap
Old 07-24-2018, 11:59 PM   #5
IceTea
Hall Of Famer

I agree with what Cap posted. I attend MMA shows, and the crowds are large and under 40. I attend boxing shows and the crowds are generally smaller and mostly me over 40. I've been to UFC cards in NYC that outdraw heavyweight championship boxing fights held at the same time. There are a few events a year in the USA that draw attention. My goal is to attend a card at Wembley Stadium in England.
Old 07-25-2018, 07:57 AM   #6
bob_bask
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceTea View Post
My goal is to attend a card at Wembley Stadium in England.
Only fighter filling that arena for next few years will be Anthony Joshua... and even the bad seats are pricey.

Eddie Hearns got a monopoly on the world-class fighters coming over, wanted to go see GGG and Spence over last few years, but bad tickets were just too expensive.

"I occasionally agreed to carry an opponent, almost always in what is known as a tune-up fight. I never considered it morally wrong as long as I was winning the fight. I was never a killer, like some fighters. I never enjoyed knocking out a guy who I knew had no chance to beat me." Sugar Ray Robinson
bob_bask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 02:11 PM   #7
Cap
Hall Of Famer

Doesn't help that, for whatever reason, the few top drawer attractions don't want to meet each other unless they get obscene amounts of money. It's become sport-o-tainment.

Cap
Old 07-29-2018, 11:31 AM   #8
zyberianwarrior
All Star Starter

yea the "big money" fights are almost always a joke (Mayweather vs McGregor, Tyson vs pretty much anyone) i have seen some lopsided fights on ESPN but quality wise British fighters (included in wales scots and irish) seems to be more even and far more entertaining than the PPV cards here in the states. Box Nations looks to be the go to spot for that and I have seen stuff in the past from them (on "special" web sites) and they dont seem to have a bias unlike the USA announcers.
zyberianwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 11:36 AM   #9
hamed2
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zyberianwarrior View Post
yea the "big money" fights are almost always a joke (Mayweather vs McGregor, Tyson vs pretty much anyone) i have seen some lopsided fights on ESPN but quality wise British fighters (included in wales scots and irish) seems to be more even and far more entertaining than the PPV cards here in the states. Box Nations looks to be the go to spot for that and I have seen stuff in the past from them (on "special" web sites) and they dont seem to have a bias unlike the USA announcers.
I'm glad boxing doesn't have that many PPV events, I can't imagine having 1 every month like they do in UFC.

Big fights take time to build, 3 a year is plenty & some years even that many is too much if the fight isn't PPV worthy.
Old 07-29-2018, 11:55 AM   #10
Cap
Hall Of Famer

Really sad. I'm one of the old folks who remember live boxing on free non-cable TV. It seems now like it was every week. Not just super ego stars but young guys coming up the ladder and older trial horses and top contenders. A real nice mix. I'd even see local Canadian boxers on our national networks. Those were the days.

Outside of Canada and the US I get the feeling boxing is in relatively good health, but is it mostly specialty channel stuff and PPV? I can't see how that expands the fan base. MMA cards turn up on regular cable here almost monthly. The so-called sports channels never show boxing. Too violent and disorganized for an entertainment industry that is desperately trying to draw in more female eyeballs in a hugely fragmented universe.

Cap

Last edited by Cap; 07-29-2018 at 11:56 AM.
Cap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 01:33 PM   #11
hamed2
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap View Post
Really sad. I'm one of the old folks who remember live boxing on free non-cable TV. It seems now like it was every week. Not just super ego stars but young guys coming up the ladder and older trial horses and top contenders. A real nice mix. I'd even see local Canadian boxers on our national networks. Those were the days.

Outside of Canada and the US I get the feeling boxing is in relatively good health, but is it mostly specialty channel stuff and PPV? I can't see how that expands the fan base. MMA cards turn up on regular cable here almost monthly. The so-called sports channels never show boxing. Too violent and disorganized for an entertainment industry that is desperately trying to draw in more female eyeballs in a hugely fragmented universe.

Cap
I'd actually heard women say MMA is too violent & others says boxing is too boring by comparison.

Interesting that in 2019, ESPN will be in UFC after Fox drops them so now boxing & MMA will both be on ESPN. I read they want to put a lot of UFC content on ESPN Plus.
Old 07-30-2018, 01:54 AM   #12
IceTea
Hall Of Famer

MMA is already bigger than boxing in the USA. Their minor shows outdraw heavyweight championship boxing fights when they're in the same city. I've seen it first hand in NYC. On the grassroots level, there's no comparison. Boxing gyms need government funding to keep from being shuttered whereas MMA gyms and gyms that teach the various skills, are opening daily. For those under 35, it's NBA and MMA.
Old 07-30-2018, 07:31 AM   #13
hamed2
Hall Of Famer

On another site I visit, someone posted this list:

Below are some of the business side metrics from 2017.

Most Television Viewership (Top 20) :
Thurman vs. Garcia Boxing CBS 3,060,000
Pacquiao vs. Horn Boxing ESPN 2,812,000
Mayweather vs. McGregor Prelims Boxing FOX 2,438,000
Shevchenko vs. Pena MMA FOX 2,189,000
Lawler vs. Dos Anjos MMA FOX 2,107,000
Weidman vs. Gastelum MMA FOX 2,046,000
Johnson vs. Reis MMA FOX 1,996,000
Wilder vs. Washington Boxing FOX 1,862,000
Lomachenko vs. Rigondeaux Boxing ESPN 1,730,000
Ramirez vs. Reed Boxing ESPN 1,487,000
Santa Cruz vs. Avalos Boxing FOX 1,483,000
Sonnen vs. Ortiz MMA Spike TV 1,374,000
Stephens vs. Choi MMA Fox Sports 1 1,280,000
UFC 217 Prelims MMA Fox Sports 1 1,276,000
Bermudez vs. Jung MMA Fox Sports 1 1,158,000
UFC 211 Prelims MMA FX 1,148,000
Rodriguez vs. Penn MMA Fox Sports 1 1,090,000
UFC 209 Prelims MMA Fox Sports 1 1,033,000
Crawford vs. Indongo Boxing ESPN 965,000
Belfort vs. Gastelum MMA Fox Sports 1 946,000

Most Residential Pay Per View Buys (Top 10) :
Mayweather vs. McGregor Boxing 4,300,000
Alvarez vs. Golovkin Boxing 1,300,000
Alvarez vs. Chavez Jr. Boxing 1,000,000
Bisping vs. St. Pierre MMA 875,000
Cormier vs. Jones MMA 860,000
Justino vs. Holm MMA 380,000
Woodley vs. Thompson MMA 300,000
Cormier vs. Johnson MMA 300,000
Miocic vs. Dos Santos MMA 300,000
Holloway vs. Aldo MMA 230,000
Old 07-30-2018, 02:34 PM   #14
Cap
Hall Of Famer

The ridiculous number of Boxing organizations are what's really killing boxing. The heads of these mafia-like orgs are too stupid and greedy to realize they're strangling the golden goose. No one knows who is champion of what and all these 'champions' are ducking contenders and each other. Imagine the top two guys in tennis, or golf or lawn bowling refusing to meet each other?

Have to wonder, if MMA is so lucrative, why hasn't the same thing happened to it? Why only UFC? Why aren't multiple MMA organizations springing up all over the world to compete with UFC? Mob connections?

One thing MMA has going for it, in this age of instant gratification, is the speed with which most bouts are settled. Viewers don't want to wait around when they could be taking selfies or texting the person sitting next to them. (As for the attraction for NBA, I'm completely dumbfounded. Back and forth and back and forth. Talk about boring.)

Cap
Old 07-30-2018, 02:34 PM   #15
Cap
Hall Of Famer

Weird. Duplicate post. NBA strikes back.

Cap

Last edited by Cap; 07-30-2018 at 02:36 PM.
Cap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 03:54 PM   #16
hamed2
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
The ridiculous number of Boxing organizations are what's really killing boxing. The heads of these mafia-like orgs are too stupid and greedy to realize they're strangling the golden goose. No one knows who is champion of what and all these 'champions' are ducking contenders and each other. Imagine the top two guys in tennis, or golf or lawn bowling refusing to meet each other?

Have to wonder, if MMA is so lucrative, why hasn't the same thing happened to it? Why only UFC? Why aren't multiple MMA organizations springing up all over the world to compete with UFC? Mob connections?

One thing MMA has going for it, in this age of instant gratification, is the speed with which most bouts are settled. Viewers don't want to wait around when they could be taking selfies or texting the person sitting next to them. (As for the attraction for NBA, I'm completely dumbfounded. Back and forth and back and forth. Talk about boring.)

Cap

UFC is almost set up like the NFL - Dana basically controls who fights who & when. My brother follows that sport & he told me when Cormier just knocked out Stipe Miocic for the HW title, Stipe received $750K. Can you imagine a HW boxing champ receiving chump change like that for a huge PPV fight where it's also a unification fight? Cormier is also the LHW champ.

Wonder if they'll ever unionize like the NFL? I know Dana hates that talk but every once in a while you hear top UFC fighters grumble they wish they made more $ like top boxers do.
Old 07-31-2018, 01:21 PM   #17
Cap
Hall Of Famer

If the UFC doesn't pay very well, why hasn't some other group offered MMA participants more cash to work for them? Seems odd. Where are the other promoters?

Cap
Old 07-31-2018, 01:54 PM   #18
hamed2
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
If the UFC doesn't pay very well, why hasn't some other group offered MMA participants more cash to work for them? Seems odd. Where are the other promoters?

Cap

Seems like UFC cornered the market & it's probably tough to start up a company or get fighters. Bellator takes older UFC fighters or ones that ticked off Dana or that he just cut if they lose too much.

I read UFC needs more stars, Bones Jones can't stay clean (off roids or whatever he keeps getting caught taking), Ronda was exposed, GSP appears to be semi retired again. They'd love to have Brock again because his PPV numbers are big & Conor appeared headed back to fighting MMA again & then gets into legal trouble.

Last edited by hamed2; 07-31-2018 at 01:56 PM.
Old 08-02-2018, 11:46 AM   #19
hamed2
Hall Of Famer

Based on this, looks like ESPN is in boxing for the long haul & can only help the sport:

Top Rank, ESPN Enter Into New Content Deal Through 2025

ESPN and Top Rank, today announced the most comprehensive, exclusive rights agreement in the history of boxing. This new seven-year deal runs from 2018 to 2025 and includes 54 events per year, as well as a full offering of exclusive shoulder programming, classic fights and studio content.

Top Rank on ESPN content will air on ESPN linear networks or stream on ESPN+ — the new multi-sport, direct-to-consumer subscription streaming service from The Walt Disney Company's Direct-to-Consumer & International segment in conjunction with ESPN.
This new agreement is the result of the huge success of the first year of Top Rank on ESPN. It will allow for a comprehensive alliance between Top Rank and ESPN’s leading networks and platforms to showcase even more Top Rank content, including live events, additional original programming and library content.

In the new deal, the 54 live events provide fans with a consistent boxing destination that showcases not only the finest of U.S. and international championship matchups, but also comprehensive coverage of up-and-coming prospects and contenders.

The exclusive live event breakdown per year is as follows:
- 18 events on ESPN
- 12 exclusive, prime time events on ESPN+
- 24 premium international events on ESPN+
- Undercard coverage of all 54 events on ESPN+
Subscribers to ESPN+ will also have access to a variety of new and existing boxing content throughout the year, including:
· The Boxing Beat with Dan Rafael (Tuesdays)
· In this Corner (twice monthly)
· Camp Life
· The unmatched, on-demand treasure chest of the greatest fights of all time, including hundreds of fights from the ESPN Big Fights Library and the Top Rank archive, including Ali vs. Frazier I-III, Ali vs. Foreman, Leonard vs. Duran I-III, Hagler vs. Hearns and Mayweather vs. Pacquiao, among many more

· Re-airs of all Top Rank on ESPN and Top Rank on ESPN PPV bouts
· Weigh-ins, post-fight interviews, and press conferences
Boxing news, information, and opinion will also appear across ESPN platforms and new programs will be developed and announced at a later date.