Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 25 > OOTP Mods > OOTP Mods - Names and Nations
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-09-2015, 10:14 PM   #81
Imperialism32
Major Leagues

Yep, was able to figure it out haha. The only wonky thing is that some nations' Language Information got thrown off. China, for instance, was 90% US Modern and 10% US Historical. Russia, Afghanistan, Philippines, Honduras, and maybe one or two others were producing US-named white guys.
Imperialism32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 10:34 PM   #82
Imperialism32
Major Leagues

Could you post what your Language Information for the United States is? In my sandbox file I cleared my draft class and created a new one just to get a sense for how the names were and it seems like some names are just repeating way too often. Out of 339 American players, 33 are named Dave, 18 are named Pat and 10 are named Dusty.

If I check the US profile, it's 86% US Modern, 4% Hispanic, 10% US Historical (which I understand is the African-American subset, right?)... is that what it should be?
Old 07-09-2015, 10:45 PM   #83
Questdog
Hall Of Famer

Location: In a dark, damp cave where I'm training slugs to run the bases......
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperialism32 View Post
Yep, was able to figure it out haha. The only wonky thing is that some nations' Language Information got thrown off. China, for instance, was 90% US Modern and 10% US Historical. Russia, Afghanistan, Philippines, Honduras, and maybe one or two others were producing US-named white guys.
Any country that is in my world_default.xml is set to produce the ballplayers that it actually did, not the ethnicity of the country. For example, there has only been 1 player born in mainland China play in MLB and he was not Chinese.

You can easily edit those that you desire to change.
Questdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 10:52 PM   #84
Questdog
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Could you post what your Language Information for the United States is? In my sandbox file I cleared my draft class and created a new one just to get a sense for how the names were and it seems like some names are just repeating way too often. Out of 339 American players, 33 are named Dave, 18 are named Pat and 10 are named Dusty.

If I check the US profile, it's 86% US Modern, 4% Hispanic, 10% US Historical (which I understand is the African-American subset, right?)... is that what it should be?
That is what it should be.

Re-import the names and make sure that my files are the ones active in the database folder (i.e named properly).

With my 2000 first name set, only about 1 in every 1000 white American ballplayers should be named Dave.
Old 07-09-2015, 11:04 PM   #85
Imperialism32
Major Leagues

The original first_names.txt has been re-named ORG_first_names.txt and I renamed 2000_first_names.txt to first_names.txt when I moved it into the /database/ folder. Just tried re-importing the database again and I'm still running into the same problem. Created 1000 American players and ~10% of them are named Dave.

Thanks for your patience in helping me out.
Old 07-09-2015, 11:31 PM   #86
Questdog
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
The original first_names.txt has been re-named ORG_first_names.txt and I renamed 2000_first_names.txt to first_names.txt when I moved it into the /database/ folder. Just tried re-importing the database again and I'm still running into the same problem. Created 1000 American players and ~10% of them are named Dave.

Thanks for your patience in helping me out.
Was this league created as a Standard Game (the MLB Quickstart)?

If so, that puppy has always shown odd behavior when re-importing various things, including my names.

If this league began life as a purely fictional league, then I don't know what the issue could be without being able to look at the files.
Old 07-10-2015, 03:03 AM   #87
RANGER11JP
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Questdog View Post
Correct.

But how did you do that? I have never heard of such a thing!
I am not sure myself. I have been fooling with Spritze's DB and had imported one historic league and started another fictional one. I may also have had an issue with a game update. Began play in about 1850, but not sure when these developed. Trying to take notes and keep going, then start all over. As of now I have 3 ML's, 2 of which have only the United States as countries.
Old 07-10-2015, 06:55 AM   #88
Imperialism32
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Questdog View Post
Was this league created as a Standard Game (the MLB Quickstart)?

If so, that puppy has always shown odd behavior when re-importing various things, including my names.

If this league began life as a purely fictional league, then I don't know what the issue could be without being able to look at the files.
It's a fictional league. Ah well.

Last question: To continue on my main file as it was (all changes and database re-importing/merging was done in a different file), should I do anything with the names/ethnicities text files and the world_default file (currently yours are in my /database/ folder), or will I be okay on that one as long as I don't re-import databases?
Old 07-10-2015, 10:56 AM   #89
Questdog
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
It's a fictional league. Ah well.

Last question: To continue on my main file as it was (all changes and database re-importing/merging was done in a different file), should I do anything with the names/ethnicities text files and the world_default file (currently yours are in my /database/ folder), or will I be okay on that one as long as I don't re-import databases?
The game only reads the files in the database folder when you create a league or re-import, so it does not matter what is in there otherwise.
Old 09-05-2015, 02:09 PM   #90
ashantewarrier
Hall Of Famer

Your efforts are much appreciated Q-dog! Thanks for this!
-Jackie Robinson, #42 Brooklyn Dodgers

"Hitting is better than sex." - Reggie Jackson
ashantewarrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 07:12 PM   #91
craftdr
Minors (Triple A)

I've been running the same league now for some time and was looking for a way to freshen it up so instead of doing something drastic, I thought I would change the nameset. I switched from the 1970 set to the 1800's and it was exactly the little something the league needed. I laughed out loud when the first draft list came out and the "best" player's name is Old Hoss in the year 2032. Perfect. Thanks again for the effort you put into this.

I will say though that the suggestion to remove nicknames for any league started with this nameset is a must as Old Hoss having a nickname kind of sucked but hey that's what the editor is for.
craftdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 01:25 PM   #92
cavebutter
All Star Starter

I know I should know how to fix this, but I am stumped.

I set up a fictional league with only 1 ML, and set the nationality of both the league and draft class to 85% US, 10% Canada, 7% Mexico, 3% random.

I started the league, then imported QD's 2016 files, randomized the names of the initial players and simmed 10 years.

At the end of 10 years, only 50% of the players are American, but the ratios I set up at league creation are still the same.

Anyone have any ideas on what I should change? I'm thinking to just start the league again with the nameset already installed and see what happens.

Logo Gallery
cavebutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 03:41 PM   #93
cavebutter
All Star Starter

Just started fresh and simmed 10- years again and the same thing. Anyone at all have an idea of where I should make the changes?

Logo Gallery
Old 10-01-2015, 06:17 PM   #94
cavebutter
All Star Starter

Figured it out. I needed to set the region for the ML to USA-Canada-Mexico. I'm done rubber ducking this thread.

Logo Gallery
Old 04-04-2016, 07:56 AM   #95
dime
Minors (Double A)

anyone know if the 16 names files play well with version 17? if not, will there be an update?
dime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 05:32 PM   #96
dhall2010
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dime View Post
anyone know if the 16 names files play well with version 17? if not, will there be an update?
Questdog's name files have been implemented into OOTP17, so no need to download anything this year.
dhall2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 01:24 PM   #97
Biggio509
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhall2010 View Post
Questdog's name files have been implemented into OOTP17, so no need to download anything this year.
Is that just the 2000 set or the 1870 and 1970 names as well?
How do you access the 1870 or 1970 name set if it is included in OOTP17?
Biggio509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 10:02 AM   #98
Questdog
Hall Of Famer

Sorry for the late reply; I must have missed an email notification of your post.

Only the Modern Set (2000) is included in OOTP17. If you want one of the other sets, you need to download the OOTP16 version and install it. The old sets will work without issue.
Old 04-30-2016, 01:19 PM   #99
elclarkey
Minors (Single A)

I'm using OOTP 16 and I've downloaded Questdog's mod.

I've been manually adding a lot of names I'm finding and keeping track of them. I'd love to understand how the file works a little better. I understand Ethnicity, but there is a second number which I don't quite get.

Questdog, if you are continually maintaining and working on a new version, I'd love to help you out by sending you names that I'm finding. I'm keeping a list in case you are interested (first and last names).

Would be awesome for a future version if OOTP would allow you to add names from within the game interface vs. via text editor.
elclarkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 01:22 PM   #100
elclarkey
Minors (Single A)

One more note, I've noticed that certain nations aren't represented as well as they should be. For instance, Haiti. It uses French names, but Haitian names are quite different.

Is there a way to add these?

Questdog - I saw in an earlier thread that you were considering going outside of the defaults a bit.
elclarkey is offline   Reply With Quote