Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 25 > OOTP Mods > OOTP Mods - Names and Nations
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-27-2015, 01:26 PM   #21
Questdog
Hall Of Famer

Location: In a dark, damp cave where I'm training slugs to run the bases......
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saul Goodman View Post
Is that just in the MLB Quickstart? Or does that extend to setting up a game through 'New Standard Game' that includes MLB in it?
That is the MLB Quickstart. If you have the real players, my names won't work as intended, but they will be of use.
Questdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 12:26 AM   #22
endgame
Hall Of Famer

Last version I checked ratios to make sure I had yours installed. Does this look like the your v16 ratio?
Attached Images
Old 03-30-2015, 01:58 AM   #23
Questdog
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by endgame View Post
Last version I checked ratios to make sure I had yours installed. Does this look like the your v16 ratio?
Sorry for the late response....Yes, that is correct.
Old 03-30-2015, 07:16 PM   #24
RANGER11JP
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by endgame View Post
Wow! I have never seen that screen. Where do I find it?

Also. does that breakdown reflect who would be considered a "foreigner" in a league?

Thanks.

JP
Old 03-31-2015, 06:04 AM   #25
hfield007
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RANGER11JP View Post

Also. does that breakdown reflect who would be considered a "foreigner" in a league?

Thanks.

JP
you find it in explore world, click any country, and hit nation editor.

and no. those are what ethnicities can be found within a country and are all considered members of that country, not foreigners.
hfield007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 09:35 AM   #26
Questdog
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Thanks.

JP
A foreigner is determined by where he is born, not his ethnicity.
Old 04-01-2015, 03:28 PM   #27
LloydLungs
Minors (Single A)

I was just looking at last year's thread for the name file, and I am having the same issue that some people in that thread were having -- the issue where there are certain names that are far too prevalent in generated guys, far too many Toms, Daves, etc.

It was determined that it was an issue with the MLB Quickstart. I actually am not using a quickstart but generated a new custom game with MLB setup and all fictional players. I did not install Questdog's name file until several years into the sim (through re-importing the names database). I never really saw a solution posed for this, just that quickstart games don't play nice with mods like this. Am I out of luck? If so, if I restore the original names.txt and first_names.txt files and then re-import again, will this issue go away, albeit with the inferior default names file?

Thanks for any help!
LloydLungs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 04:35 PM   #28
Questdog
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LloydLungs View Post
I was just looking at last year's thread for the name file, and I am having the same issue that some people in that thread were having -- the issue where there are certain names that are far too prevalent in generated guys, far too many Toms, Daves, etc.

It was determined that it was an issue with the MLB Quickstart. I actually am not using a quickstart but generated a new custom game with MLB setup and all fictional players. I did not install Questdog's name file until several years into the sim (through re-importing the names database). I never really saw a solution posed for this, just that quickstart games don't play nice with mods like this. Am I out of luck? If so, if I restore the original names.txt and first_names.txt files and then re-import again, will this issue go away, albeit with the inferior default names file?

Thanks for any help!
I have never experienced this myself, so I cannot offer definitive suggestions. Try reimporting my names again, first. If I can reproduce this, I'll let you know what I figure out.
Old 04-02-2015, 02:40 AM   #29
DB930
Major Leagues

Questdog, I love your work on this and it improves the game so much, but there's one little thing that kinda stuck out at me: in the 1870 world_default file, the only other country besides the US with a baseball quality of "excellent" is the DR. But they didn't organize their first (notable) teams until the 1910s, didn't form a true league around them until the 1920s, and didn't send their first player to the majors until the 1950s. Wouldn't Cuba seem to be the country most closely on a level with the US during that 1870-1970 period?
DB930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 05:19 AM   #30
Questdog
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DB930 View Post
Questdog, I love your work on this and it improves the game so much, but there's one little thing that kinda stuck out at me: in the 1870 world_default file, the only other country besides the US with a baseball quality of "excellent" is the DR. But they didn't organize their first (notable) teams until the 1910s, didn't form a true league around them until the 1920s, and didn't send their first player to the majors until the 1950s. Wouldn't Cuba seem to be the country most closely on a level with the US during that 1870-1970 period?
Baseball Level does not have any meaning anymore. It is not used for anything other than determining the percentage that a country defaults to when you add it to a player origin list and possibly the chance that country is picked for a player from the "Other" percentage. The Baseball Levels in the file were set back when they determined the percentage of players from each country and were set to try to match the 1969-1992 time period. When I created the 1870 file, there was no reason to go through an edit them all, so I did not.

Feel free to edit them as you wish.
Old 04-02-2015, 02:06 PM   #31
RANGER11JP
All Star Starter

Nlb

Questdog,

I an using your names file starting in the 1870 time frame. I did want to try to simulate a Negro League scenario, but I am at a loss of the correct settings. If I do not allow foreigners in MLB, then the Irish and English etc. are rejected. What am I missing?

Thanks for your great work on this.

JP
Old 04-03-2015, 08:17 AM   #32
ArcAngel
All Star Starter

I noticed a few "quirks" with 16 and QD's 1870 name files.

I started a "new historical" league that began in 1871, first off.

Now the quirks:

1) Anyone whose first name began with "Mac" would NOT have a space in between their first or last names.

2) There were a few players with "Ballplayer" as their first name.

3) Some USA players had "Oriental" last names.

All of these were easy enough to fix using Commish mode, but gosh - maybe there was something I missed in the install?
ArcAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 12:55 PM   #33
Questdog
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcAngel View Post
I noticed a few "quirks" with 16 and QD's 1870 name files.

I started a "new historical" league that began in 1871, first off.

Now the quirks:

1) Anyone whose first name began with "Mac" would NOT have a space in between their first or last names.

2) There were a few players with "Ballplayer" as their first name.

3) Some USA players had "Oriental" last names.

All of these were easy enough to fix using Commish mode, but gosh - maybe there was something I missed in the install?
Maybe...that won't happen in a normal installation.
Old 04-03-2015, 01:05 PM   #34
Questdog
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Questdog,

I an using your names file starting in the 1870 time frame. I did want to try to simulate a Negro League scenario, but I am at a loss of the correct settings. If I do not allow foreigners in MLB, then the Irish and English etc. are rejected. What am I missing?

Thanks for your great work on this.

JP
In the Negro League settings under the Rules tab, uncheck the box to allow trading with other major leagues and on the Financials tab uncheck the boxes "Allow Free Agents from other Leagues" and "Allow Free Agents to leave League".

This should keep it segregated. Note that if you are using the Reserve-Clause Era Rules, you have to uncheck that to see the free agent option boxes. After unchecking the free agent boxes, you can then re-check the Reserve-Era Clause Rules box.
Old 04-03-2015, 03:08 PM   #35
RANGER11JP
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Questdog View Post
In the Negro League settings under the Rules tab, uncheck the box to allow trading with other major leagues and on the Financials tab uncheck the boxes "Allow Free Agents from other Leagues" and "Allow Free Agents to leave League".

This should keep it segregated. Note that if you are using the Reserve-Clause Era Rules, you have to uncheck that to see the free agent option boxes. After unchecking the free agent boxes, you can then re-check the Reserve-Era Clause Rules box.
Thanks for the step by step instructions on this. I have yet to get a handle on just what those (and some other) settings mean or do.

Also, I wanted to change the name from "America" to maybe something like "Negro League". Any pratfalls I need to be aware of before trying that?

Thank you.

JP
Old 04-03-2015, 03:34 PM   #36
Questdog
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Thanks for the step by step instructions on this. I have yet to get a handle on just what those (and some other) settings mean or do.

Also, I wanted to change the name from "America" to maybe something like "Negro League". Any pratfalls I need to be aware of before trying that?

Thank you.

JP
None that I can think of....
Old 04-03-2015, 08:44 PM   #37
ArcAngel
All Star Starter

Quote:
Maybe...that won't happen in a normal installation.
Define "normal installation" please.

I double checked how I installed your names pack, and I have re-named the four files needed to ORG_ethnicities, ORG_first_names, ORG_names, and ORG_world_default.

I did notice that your world_default is a smaller size than the OOTP's default one. The other three are larger. Is this correct?
Old 04-03-2015, 09:19 PM   #38
Questdog
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Define "normal installation" please.

I double checked how I installed your names pack, and I have re-named the four files needed to ORG_ethnicities, ORG_first_names, ORG_names, and ORG_world_default.

I did notice that your world_default is a smaller size than the OOTP's default one. The other three are larger. Is this correct?
By normal, I mean correct.

Did you rename the files that begin with "QD_" by erasing the "QD_" and the two names files you want to use be erasing the year from the beginning?
Old 04-03-2015, 09:24 PM   #39
ArcAngel
All Star Starter

Quote:
Did you rename the files that begin with "QD_" by erasing the "QD_" and the two names files you want to use be erasing the year from the beginning?
Yes, that's exactly what I did.
Old 04-03-2015, 09:58 PM   #40
Questdog
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Yes, that's exactly what I did.
Then I have no explanation, unless this is the MLB Standard Game (which usually has all kinds of issues with trying to change the names).