Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 25 > OOTP Mods > OOTP Mods - Names and Nations

Old 04-18-2014, 08:46 PM   #21
Questdog
Hall Of Famer

Location: In a dark, damp cave where I'm training slugs to run the bases......
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthian23 View Post
First thing it did was changed the baseball quality levels around the world from the default. Now the only two countries that are listed as Excellent are the US and DR. Japan, for instance, is down to average, but there are only eight countries above average, so that could be normal. I'll let you know if anything seems off.
That is as it should be.

Do you have fewer countries after the import than before? Is Algeria a country?
Questdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 09:11 PM   #22
BadluckinOOTP
All Star Starter

Still cannot figure out what I'm doing incorrectly when it comes to using this namefile with the quick-start MLB league that the game comes loaded with. It works perfectly on new leagues, but when you load the QS, you get the default name file (complete with nicknames. ) and when you re-import the name files they aren't quite right.

Far too many players named Jamie, Pat and some variation of x.J. (A.J, B.J, C.J, etc...), though the last names seem to work. Special characters are not removed from Hispanic names either.
Old 04-18-2014, 09:13 PM   #23
Questdog
Hall Of Famer

If the Hispanic names have special characters, then the game is not using my files.
Old 04-18-2014, 09:15 PM   #24
BadluckinOOTP
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Questdog View Post
If the Hispanic names have special characters, then the game is not using my files.
Even more confused then.
Old 04-18-2014, 09:18 PM   #25
Questdog
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadluckinOOTP View Post
Even more confused then.
Let me amend that statement: If the NEW Hispanic players have special characters in their names, the game is not using my files.
Old 04-18-2014, 10:12 PM   #26
Ruthian23
All Star Reserve

Quote:
That is as it should be.

Do you have fewer countries after the import than before? Is Algeria a country?
Algeria is listed as a country.
Ruthian23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 10:27 PM   #27
Questdog
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Algeria is listed as a country.
So re-importing my file only adds stuff from my file and does not delete stuff already in the game.

Let me know if the names appear to be working as intended, especially that you have black players created from the USA.
Old 04-18-2014, 10:32 PM   #28
Ruthian23
All Star Reserve

Quote:
So re-importing my file only adds stuff from my file and does not delete stuff already in the game.

Let me know if the names appear to be working as intended, especially that you have black players created from the USA.
Question: I'm not far into my game at all and wouldn't terribly mind starting a new one. If I started a new one would it start properly? I could run my existing game multiple years into the future as a test league for your name file and let you know what happens. If I do that, what specifically should I be checking for? What questions would you be interested in having answered?
Old 04-18-2014, 10:57 PM   #29
Questdog
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Question: I'm not far into my game at all and wouldn't terribly mind starting a new one. If I started a new one would it start properly? I could run my existing game multiple years into the future as a test league for your name file and let you know what happens. If I do that, what specifically should I be checking for? What questions would you be interested in having answered?

If you follow the instructions in the readme.txt file it will work perfectly for a new game.

Main question for the imported names is whether you are getting any black players in the draft from the USA. Also, if you are getting any names from the USA that are not in my list, but this might be a tough one for you to figure out since you are not familiar with my list.
Old 04-18-2014, 11:07 PM   #30
Ruthian23
All Star Reserve

So I started a new league and am still seeing Algeria. Additionally, the number of names in the database is still what it originally was (slightly over 150K.) In the other one, where I re-imported the name and ethnicity database, that number changed to 324,388 (though, as I said, Algeria's still there), so it seems like the larger name file is there (if re-importing it gave me many more names). I'm using the default MLB Quickstart.

Edit: I also checked the quality of baseball in other countries. It's back to the default, even though that updated properly when I did the re-import in the file that was already created. Odd.

Last edited by Ruthian23; 04-18-2014 at 11:11 PM.
Old 04-18-2014, 11:18 PM   #31
Questdog
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
So I started a new league and am still seeing Algeria. Additionally, the number of names in the database is still what it originally was (slightly over 150K.) In the other one, where I re-imported the name and ethnicity database, that number changed to 324,388 (though, as I said, Algeria's still there), so it seems like the larger name file is there (if re-importing it gave me many more names). I'm using the default MLB Quickstart.

Edit: I also checked the quality of baseball in other countries. It's back to the default, even though that updated properly when I did the re-import in the file that was already created. Odd.
Ah!...you said you were going to start a new league, but the MLB Quickstart is not a new league, but really a save game that has already been started.

Unfortunately, it appears that the way they set the league up keeps my name files from working very well.

Using my files with the MLB Quickstart, you ALWAYS have to re-import everything, even from the get-go. It should be an improvement on the default names, but will never be as good as starting a fictional league from scratch.

Sorry, but there is nothing I can do to fix it.

P.S. I suspect they have done something to have the names of the first 3 or 4 draft classes set in stone because they include real prospects. After that, you may see my names kick into action. Let me know!
Old 04-18-2014, 11:21 PM   #32
Ruthian23
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Ah!...you said you were going to start a new league, but the MLB Quickstart is not a new league, but really a save game that has already been started.

Unfortunately, it appears that the way they set the league up keeps my name files from working very well.

Using my files with the MLB Quickstart, you ALWAYS have to re-import everything, even from the get-go. It should be an improvement on the default names, but will never be as good as starting a fictional league from scratch.

Sorry, but there is nothing I can do to fix it.

P.S. I suspect they have done something to have the names of the first 3 or 4 draft classes set in stone because they include real prospects. After that, you may see my names kick into action. Let me know!
I am going to try to create a league based on the MLB template, but from scratch. That should more or less be the same thing as the MLB Quickstart, I'd think, only the names will take properly.

FYI, I believe I read here that the names of the 3 or 4 draft classes are set in stone because they're based on real current college and high school players likely to be drafted (the roster team was evidently very busy.)
Old 04-18-2014, 11:28 PM   #33
Ruthian23
All Star Reserve

Okay, so I did Create Custom League and then used Create Real World League. Is that the same thing as the Quickstart, because I still have Algeria and 150K names. Would I have to use Create Fictional League and set it up like MLB?

Edit: So that seems to do it, but obviously the players and everything are fictional. I guess there's just no way to use the files properly while having a real MLB setup. I'll fast-forward a game and make sure it's generating African-Americans from the US several years in the future and see if I can get by with the re-import feature. Either way, I'll definitely keep this in mind if I do a fictional league later.

Last edited by Ruthian23; 04-18-2014 at 11:36 PM.
Old 04-18-2014, 11:57 PM   #34
Ruthian23
All Star Reserve

One more thing, as the simulation is running in the background: By making these the default files as I have, it shouldn't have any impact whatsoever on historical leagues with real players in them, right? (assuming I use ghost players for the minors in historicals and don't let anyone who didn't really make the majors make the majors).
Old 04-19-2014, 12:06 AM   #35
Questdog
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
One more thing, as the simulation is running in the background: By making these the default files as I have, it shouldn't have any impact whatsoever on historical leagues with real players in them, right? (assuming I use ghost players for the minors in historicals and don't let anyone who didn't really make the majors make the majors).
Correct. No real players will have their names changed. I play historical replay leagues all the time with my files installed.
Old 04-19-2014, 12:51 AM   #36
Ruthian23
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Correct. No real players will have their names changed. I play historical replay leagues all the time with my files installed.
Great. Thanks again for all your help tonight.

Edit: As an aside, what is the picture in your av from?

Last edited by Ruthian23; 04-19-2014 at 01:09 AM.
Old 04-19-2014, 01:44 AM   #37
Ruthian23
All Star Reserve

Update: Simmed to 2017 draft pool creation. Narrowed the filter to US born players, and there are plenty of potential draftees with the "African" face type.

Now I really should get some sleep.
Old 04-19-2014, 04:54 PM   #38
SirMichaelJordan
Hall Of Famer

Questdog's Names for OOTP 15

Quote:
Okay, so I did Create Custom League and then used Create Real World League. Is that the same thing as the Quickstart, because I still have Algeria and 150K names. Would I have to use Create Fictional League and set it up like MLB?

Edit: So that seems to do it, but obviously the players and everything are fictional. I guess there's just no way to use the files properly while having a real MLB setup. I'll fast-forward a game and make sure it's generating African-Americans from the US several years in the future and see if I can get by with the re-import feature. Either way, I'll definitely keep this in mind if I do a fictional league later.

The way I get this to work with the QS is to setup a fictional league (in my case I set my Indy leagues up first) start the universe (you can choose what date you want to start by simming forward) and then import the QS (after you convert it to a template) as a template and it will work.

Only thing is the nicknames will still appear.

Last edited by SirMichaelJordan; 04-19-2014 at 04:57 PM.
SirMichaelJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 05:26 PM   #39
Questdog
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Great. Thanks again for all your help tonight.

Edit: As an aside, what is the picture in your av from?

My avatar is a combination of an old Cincinnati Reds baseball card from the turn of the century and Ron Perlman in the movie "Quest for Fire", from which I take my screen name.

On the college baseball team, we all had "dog" nicknames and I was "Questdog" because I looked like I belonged in the cast of that movie, which was about cavemen.
Old 04-19-2014, 06:45 PM   #40
txranger
Hall Of Famer

I have always admired your avatar... Very original... Nice to know how you came by it...

txranger is offline   Reply With Quote