Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 16 > Grand Championship League

Old 12-17-2013, 05:14 PM   #1
Painmantle
Hall Of Famer

Meet the WBF

Meet the WBF

Hello all,

My name is Rhett aka “Painmantle” I have been bestowed the honor of being the representative of the World Baseball Federation (WBF) for the OOTP Grand Championship League. I went into this league as I do all others, with a plan of action that is a little unorthodox, but this system has generally worked well for me in the past. Most leagues I’m in have a “Mad Rush” on Starting Pitchers early and MR’s late with most everyday hitters taken in between. This draft for the most part followed this path also.

My strategy, as it usually does revolves around taking good hitters with my first 4-5 picks (depending on the depth of pitchers available) then concentrating on Pitching while everyone is making the mad-dash for their offense. We ended up with offense from our picks 1-4 then taking 11 consecutive pitchers in this draft before going back on the offensive side.

Now that the OOTPGCL draft is complete lets look at how this team shapes up,

Batting leadoff: CF Julio Lopez, The 24 year old is a Career .282 Hitter with a .343 OBP. We expect Julio to stay around those marks or even improve on them he should be good for 15 HR and 20+ SB this year . Julio is a dynamic Defender who in 133 career ML games has an impressive 21.8 ZR, so not only can he catch everything he gets to, he gets to things that most CF don’t even go after.

Batting second: DH Chris Arnold, the 45 year old can’t play defense, can’t run, can’t hit for power anymore, so what can he do? This guy gets on base..a career OBP of .412. This may be Chris’ last hurrah and hopefully the WBF can get him a playoff appearance to add to his resume

Batting third: SS Antonio “Nuggett” Hernandez, This little Nugget is a a career .306 hitter just entering his prime, the 26 year old is coming off back-to-back .357+ seasons is a hitting machine. While he doesn’t walk a lot (He doesn’t strike out much either) you don’t need to when you hit over .350 to have a nice OBP, Tony is a very solid defender with plenty of range. He is a true burner on the bases.

Batting fourth: RF Juan Luna, Juan a Career .326 Hitter looks a lot like the aforementioned Hernandez with a little more Pop and excellent Gap power. Hopefully he has plenty of guys on base in front of him, we expect Juan to best his career high 93 RBi’s for the WBF. Juan is well above average defensively and like most of the guys on this team he excels on the bases

Batting fifth: LF David Young. This 28 year old is coming off of a career year, .278/24HR/112RBI, we hope for more of the same from David this year. Davis is a Gold Glove candidate in LF and the base running trend continues here as this guy is well above average on the base paths.

Batting sixth: Ramon Sandovlad will handle the duties here against RHP from the Hot spot at 3B, Ramon is a good all around hitter with average defensive skills, but like the rest of the team he is a solid base runner. Manuel Maldonado will handle the 6th slot from 1B against LHP while he is a little more productive with the bat, he is only an average base runner and a defensive liability at 1B

Batting Seventh: 2B Marc Hughes, Mark has great range at the keystone corner but only average defensive skills, he can however turn the DP with ease. He’s an average hitter with more of that great speed the WBF Brass loves.

Batting eighth: against RHP James Brennan will play 1B and he is a Gold Glove waiting to happen there, another average hitter with speed to spare. Against LHP Michael Anderson will cover the Hot Corner with an outstanding glove and more speed , this 27 year old is unproven at the ML level and were hoping he really gets accustom to ML pitching quick.

Batting ninth: The Catchers, Steve Hatcher will start, with Chad Gordon at backup. These guys are great signal callers with average bats and speed to spare, especially for Catchers. We’re hoping when they get on base they don’t clog up the base paths with the top of the order coming around.

The Bench: Lou Jackson, this guy could win a gold Glove at 2B/3B/SS/LF/CF/RF. He’s pretty much average with the bat, he is the epitome of a “Utility Player” Randolph Lyon is waiting for someone to fail at 3B, if that happens he’ll get the call with his outstanding glove work there and Cannon arm. Raul Mateo: This guy if you can believe it will be the PR on a team full of speed and possibly see time at DH. A defensive liability at either 1B or LF he will most likely spend most of his time on the reserve roster Marco Venegas: This guy is solid at either 2B/SS and can fill in at 1B. He has enough Pop that he may make the team, this guys does NOT fit the base running mold of this team

The Rotation: What we have here is a group of unproven youngsters and mediocre Veterans. We have nothing spectacular unless a guy breaks out or a wily Vet has a good year. This is a staff full of # 3 Starters or worse

The Bull Pen: This is the meat of our Pitching staff. Possibly one of the Best all-around Bullpens in the OOTPGCL with a nice Mix of LH and RH guys who can get it done. 23 year Old Jeff Howell will be given every opportunity to be the Closer while the rest of the Pen consist of 3 LHP and 3 RHP. You will see yur share of LOOGY’s and ROOGY’s as this team isn’t afraid to use 3,4 or even 5 pitchers to get from the 7th inning to the 9th. This Pen is all about slightly above average control with solid Movement and outstanding Stuff

Overall outlook: I believe we have a solid defensive team who can hit well enough to score runs and is one of the better all-around running team in the league. We won’t be afraid to steal or take the extra base…manufacturing runs when necessary. I would put our Bull Pen up against any other teams and feel safe. The Biggest question mark is our Starters, Will they get us to the 7th inning with a lead more often than they don’t? Only time will tell!

Note: Lineups and Pitching assignments are subject to change without notice!
“As soon as I got out there I felt a strange relationship with the pitcher's mound. It was as if I'd been born out there. Pitching just felt like the most natural thing in the world. Striking out batters was easy.” -Babe Ruth
“Ruth made a grave mistake when he gave up pitching. Working once a week, he might have lasted a long time and become a great star.”-Tris Speaker
My Dynasties
The Beantown Bambino

Last edited by Painmantle; 12-17-2013 at 05:24 PM.
Painmantle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 06:25 PM   #2
engels
Bat Boy

Best of luck from the front office in Montreal!
engels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 02:23 PM   #3
spider_monkey_b
Minors (Triple A)

Commish of the WBF here, and owner of the 1 time Cuban Champion Manzanillo Stingrays, wishing you good luck Rhett!

Thanks again for being our rep! It looks like the hitting and bullpen should give us a serious shot this season.
spider_monkey_b is offline   Reply With Quote