Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: Online Leagues

Old 08-01-2007, 08:37 PM   #61
jetking
Minors (Double A)

Hmm. I won't bail based on the 2006 rosters - heck, it might help me even, a little - but I am worried about AP's predictions on >30s players crashing and rookies taking over the spotlight. So y'all don't need to take me off the list. I'll just cross my fingers and trust that you fine folks know what you're doing.
Old 08-01-2007, 08:53 PM   #62
Matty86
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetking View Post
Hmm. I won't bail based on the 2006 rosters - heck, it might help me even, a little - but I am worried about AP's predictions on >30s players crashing and rookies taking over the spotlight. So y'all don't need to take me off the list. I'll just cross my fingers and trust that you fine folks know what you're doing.
It will all be tested I can assure you of that. I don't know of any rosters that are out so far that don't have one problem or another. I hope that AP's are the first released that run perfect, if not for a online league, at least so that we have something for solo use.

We will keep everyone informed. I have the site all done, just waiting on Fidel to get a template installed for me. The forums are set and as soon as I get the new template in place I will post the link. It should be by friday afternoon at the latest.
Matty86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 09:01 PM   #63
APujols5
Banned

Infractions: 1/3 (3)
Quote:
http://www.diamondleaguebaseball.com...tml/index.html

Have a look at the pitching stats in this league Jet... I am not trying to discourage anyone from this league, but the results of Erich's 06 rosters speak for htemselves. I am sure he will tell you also that develpment is way off in that set. It's a fine balance to find the right numbers and made worse by the fact that there is no specific set of numbers that can be used to fix it. it has to be tested for each roster set. It's one of the things that I made a huge effort at fixing for the roster I am finsihing up.
APujols5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 09:51 PM   #64
Mike Lowe
Hall Of Famer

The fact of the matter is, as it currently stands, there is not a 2007 roster available that is functioning properly. There isn't even a 2007 roster available that's fully complete let alone functioning at any level. A roster almost done is an unfinished roster nonetheless and no one really knows when it will be available and working properly.

There are ways to tweak settings, that's the beauty of OOTP. If tests need to be done so be it. It is the leagues best interest to start testing and finding solutions with a file versus waiting for a file which may never be completed (anyone's roster).

Until a 2007 roster actually falls out of the sky I will consider them nonexistant. I think we've all waited long enough and I am grateful to the roster makers because that sh*t is crazy but at the end of the day, we all want to play ball.

Besides, baseball is an unpredictable sport. If it doesn't mirror MLB to a tee so what? Is it that unbelievable? What if we started a 1998 league in 1997 and had guys smacking 60+ HRs? We'd say there was something wrong with the file. In all honesty, baseball players are getting better faster and at a younger age. We're all in the same boat here, wanting the best most realistic league. There's not may other places to go right now so let's buckle down and do this right.

Last edited by Mike Lowe; 08-01-2007 at 09:53 PM.
Mike Lowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 09:58 PM   #65
APujols5
Banned

Infractions: 1/3 (3)
My only problem is you aren't even using the best roster that's available right now. Even using Cubby's 07 set I could probalby get you closer to the correct developmental numbers than I could using a 2006 roster because I never tore apart the components of the developemental and aging equations like I have now. and I doubt you can test Erich's rosters enough to get the numbers right before I would have finished my tested set. But hey, whatever floats your boat. You never seemed interested in my involvment anyways. So have fun
APujols5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 03:17 AM   #66
Mike Lowe
Hall Of Famer

Pujols you seem to be very quick to judge people. I'm sorry the league didn't work out for you. Good luck on your rosters, I look forward to seeing them and using them in solo leagues down the road.

Take care and thanks for the help earlier this week.
Old 08-02-2007, 09:50 AM   #67
jetking
Minors (Double A)

Any news on the league site being ready for prime time? I'm itching to take a look at the goodness!

(Again with the itching. Maybe I should get that looked at)
Old 08-02-2007, 10:24 AM   #68
Mike Lowe
Hall Of Famer

The site has been created and I've uploaded a league file for Matty to take a look at. We also have the forums up and ready. We still have to do some testing with the file and change some of the settings which is what Matty and I will be working on tonight after he is off of work.

Stay tuned. This is moving along much quicker than I anticipated but we want to ensure we have everything set before making anything public. There's still a handful of things that need to be done.

I encourage the rest of you to continue to discuss what you'd like to see in a league? What will make this league the best for you? Do you hate leagues that have too many trades? Well, how could we handle that? Do you have a preference for a sim schedule? What is it?
Old 08-02-2007, 11:11 AM   #69
Mike Lowe
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by APujols5 View Post
http://www.diamondleaguebaseball.com...tml/index.html

Have a look at the pitching stats in this league Jet... I am not trying to discourage anyone from this league, but the results of Erich's 06 rosters speak for htemselves. I am sure he will tell you also that develpment is way off in that set. It's a fine balance to find the right numbers and made worse by the fact that there is no specific set of numbers that can be used to fix it. it has to be tested for each roster set. It's one of the things that I made a huge effort at fixing for the roster I am finsihing up.
And for the record, this was using OOTP2006. We will be testing the Rolen file to see how OOTP2007 handles converting it.
Old 08-02-2007, 11:15 AM   #70
Mike Lowe
Hall Of Famer

Guys,

What logos, player pics, and jersey templates do you all prefer? Matty and I were thinking of putting a set up on the site so that newbies can easily get them into the game and matching.

What else is there? I feel as though I'm forgetting something...
Old 08-02-2007, 11:42 AM   #71
jetking
Minors (Double A)

Things That Matter To Me

1) Normally I like a 1-week (sun-sat) sim schedule. It's a logical break in the action (usually) that goes by slow enough to do what needs to be done but fast enough that a season doesn't take forever. That said, if we're going to focus on having people behave as just GMs and not also managers, we might consider a 2-week sim schedule. It speeds things up a little bit and sort of discourages the roster meddling since any changes someone tries to sneak in are longer term. And it renders 7-day schedules more-or-less useless.

2) I like a sim that approximates "real life" as much as possible. So excessive trading and other roster moves annoy me. If I want to game the system that way I can just go play in a yahoo fantasy league. As to how to discourage that kind of behavior, I'm not entirely sure.

3) I don't much have a preference on pictures and jerseys and such. They're cool and add a lot to the experience, of course, but I haven't dwelt on them enough to have much in the way of an opinion.

4) For logos, I tend to like good retro ones, but the modern ones are dandy, too. The only thing to note here is that since I've got the Mariners I must request that the stupid "M's on the ball" logo from the late 80s never darken my door. Give me the compass or give me the trident (all-star or original) or give me death.

That's all I've got for now. More if I think of it.
Old 08-02-2007, 12:56 PM   #72
ku_mpa04
Bat Boy

I'm glad that most of those still interested prefer a GM only format. I like the Icy pack for jerseys and logos, but I'm sure there are other good ones out there as well.

I'm not big on excessive trading, but I don't like to restrict GM freedoms, so my vote is to leave it alone. If you don't like excessive trading, don't trade excessively.

Schedule: I would like to make a break with tradition and sim more than 3 times per week. I prefer smaller sim periods with more frequency. To modify the suggestion above of 2 weeks per sim, I would suggest 1 week per sim, but sim 5 times per week. I understand if that is too much committment from the commissioner(s). I think it is effectively the same as the other suggestion, and it gives people different options for how active they want to be. You would just need to set an export minimum such as no more then three exports in a row missed. You would still have to export at least twice a week (real time).

Finally, if we're going for realism, I assume that all options will be open: Rule 5, scouts, waivers, summer draft, and no salary caps.
ku_mpa04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 02:17 PM   #73
Mike Lowe
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku_mpa04 View Post
I'm not big on excessive trading, but I don't like to restrict GM freedoms, so my vote is to leave it alone. If you don't like excessive trading, don't trade excessively.
I agree. If we find the right kind of people for this league things like this will take care of itself.

Quote:
Finally, if we're going for realism, I assume that all options will be open: Rule 5, scouts, waivers, summer draft, and no salary caps.
Absolutely. Don't forget coaches!

As far as scheduling, I like smaller chunks of time too. Even though we are a GM only league it would still be nice to have an opportunity to call up a SP replacement if one of the starters are hurt. With that said, based on pitchers at least (not so much hitters), I was thinking 5 days per sim regardless of how many times per week. 3 times a week would have us simming two weeks in a real calendar week. We could go faster, we could go slower. I like to keep things moving because the more we sit motionless it gets dull for non-contenders and increases trading (I'm bored!). However, going too fast forces people with full-time jobs, families, both, etc. to not get as much out of it and often times forces them to have to quit.

With the waiver system, we could do 3 days per sim like 5 days a week or something? Obviously, this is all dependant on Matty who, as far as I know, will be the most handling the majority of the sims (if not all).

Here's a question...is there a way to add players to the DL retroactively? Say we sim 5 days and a position player gets hurt on the first day. You want to put him on the DL but he will only be hurt for another 10 days and you don't want to loose him for the extra five? Since he's hurt he hasn't played since the injury. Is there a way to retroactively add him to the DL from the day of his injury? If not, is this something that could be handled manually via the forums? It sounds tedious, but how often will it really happen?
Old 08-02-2007, 02:35 PM   #74
ku_mpa04
Bat Boy

I like that idea alot. I cannot imagine that the retroactive DL issues would happen more than once or twice per week in the entire league. It would be incumbent upon the GM to request the change via the forums. I cannot imagine it would take much time for the commissioner to make the change to the DL status - assuming that it is possible to edit that field.
Old 08-02-2007, 03:27 PM   #75
jetking
Minors (Double A)

I'm all for coaches, scouts, waivers, rule 5 and all that. Give me all of those intangibles and complications and such.

5 sims per week is stretching my limits, though. But as long as everyone's cool with the fact that I might make 2 or 3 tops in any given week, then I don't really see a problem with it. Or, at the very least, I won't pitch a fit over it
Old 08-02-2007, 04:05 PM   #76
Matty86
Major Leagues

Quote:
I like that idea alot. I cannot imagine that the retroactive DL issues would happen more than once or twice per week in the entire league. It would be incumbent upon the GM to request the change via the forums. I cannot imagine it would take much time for the commissioner to make the change to the DL status - assuming that it is possible to edit that field.
I should be able to do something about the retroactice DL. But like you said, and I was going to suggest before you mentioned it. I'm going to put a section in the forum where if someone is on the DL, it is the responsibility of the GM to put him on the DL in the file, and then make a forum post about it.

As far as sim schedules, I like to go full weeks, so I personally would like either 7 or 14 days a sim. Preferably 7. I should be able to do at least 3 sims a week, I will put a vote on the league site (which I plan to release tonight if all goes well and as planned).

I may be having some changes made to my work schedule, during the college school year I had been working nights 7PM-1AM, but with new ownership coming in to my work place, I may or may not be on that schedule. I will be able to make time for at least 3 sims a week though. I would like to do live sims, but I don't want to set that in stone. When the time comes to set the schedule, and I know my work hours I will announce if that will become a reality.

I will be looking for those logos/jerseys/face packs, but it would be great if anyone has a link to them, either PM me on here with a link or post it up, not sure if that is an issue around here, but I don't see why it would be.

I have a hour or 2 to play around with the site and league file before I head out to practice, then I have the rest of the night from 9pm on if anyone has any questions I'll be around.

Also, if anyone is handy with photoshop or knows someone who is and wants to take a stab at making a league banner get in touch with me.

Last edited by Matty86; 08-02-2007 at 04:18 PM.
Old 08-02-2007, 04:19 PM   #77
changewand
Minors (Single A)

I admit that I am less enthused by playing with a 2006 roster set, since the ones I have tried myself fared much worse in OOTP2007 sims than Cubby's has in terms of realism. I won't back out, but I am VERY keen to see how quickly and accurately you are able to tweak one of the 2006 sets compared to the work that is currently being done on Cubby's and APuljols5's (presumably).
changewand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 04:31 PM   #78
jetking
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty86 View Post
Also, if anyone is handy with photoshop or knows someone who is and wants to take a stab at making a league banner get in touch with me.

Slide me the dimensions you need and I'll see what I can whip up. Of course, I'll need to know the name y'all settled on, too.
Old 08-02-2007, 04:38 PM   #79
Matty86
Major Leagues

Quote:
Slide me the dimensions you need and I'll see what I can whip up. Of course, I'll need to know the name y'all settled on, too.
do you have AIM? get in touch with me at lobsterkillahjea if you do. I'll check on the dimensions now
Old 08-02-2007, 08:27 PM   #80
ku_mpa04
Bat Boy

I'm very much an amateur at mods and rosters, but some of the best compilations I'm aware of are at padrefans mod site at:

http://web.mac.com/sixwilsons/iWeb/OOTPMods/Main.html

As I stated earlier, I like Icy's template and graphics, but there are lots o' goodies there incl. stadiums, photopacks by Gambo and many others, rosters,etc.