Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 25 > OOTP Mods > OOTP Mods - Names and Nations
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-07-2006, 08:17 PM   #1
Porb
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Female First-Names File Now Available

Here.

Credit goes to LivinLegend for creating this list; I only converted it to the current format. There are a little over a 1000 first names in this file.

So we have now have female photos, xml for pbp + news, and names available. Player and team nicknames could probably also use a little tweaking, but I think this project is mostly done. A new photo for ties in the leaderboard could be done, too.

To use this file, place in the OOTP 2006/data/database folder before starting up the league. This file only has names for country 0 (U.S.) - so foreign players shouldn't be allowed. If you don't mind foreign players with names like Meg, then these names can easily be replicated for the other country codes using something like Excel.

Someday I'll compile a list of female first names from other countries...

edit: Any modded files in use before installing the latest patch will be erased during patch installation. Always have a backup!

Last edited by Porb; 07-07-2006 at 09:26 PM.
Porb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 12:23 PM   #2
Tom the Fish
All Star Reserve

Figued I'd put this here as well so those who know about name files can take a look as well. When I start a league using this name file, a large amount of the names are "T". That's it, just T. seems like close to half, if not more. I looked over the text file but couldn't find anything obvious.

Thanks,
Tom
Tom the Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 01:47 PM   #3
Porb
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom the Fish
Figued I'd put this here as well so those who know about name files can take a look as well. When I start a league using this name file, a large amount of the names are "T". That's it, just T. seems like close to half, if not more. I looked over the text file but couldn't find anything obvious.

Thanks,
Tom
Hmm, have you tried right-clicking the link and using "save link as"?

I just tried left-clicking this link and a new window opened, displaying the contents of the file. This can be pasted into a new txt file, but perhaps there could be formatting errors?
Porb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 02:50 PM   #4
Tom the Fish
All Star Reserve

I've been playing around with it. It seems that whatever i use for a first name for the GM, the first letter becomes the name for many of the players. However, if i start as Joe Nobody, then the problem goes away. Then i change Joe Nobody to me and all is well. Although I hope the problem doesn't repeat at the player draft...

Seems like a weird little bug, no idea if it's the game or the text file.

Tom
Tom the Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 01:23 PM   #5
battists
Hall Of Famer

Just bear in mind as well, that the PbP is not gender-neutral. That is, news articles and PbP will still use the masculine pronoun.
battists is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 02:44 PM   #6
Raidergoo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by battists
Just bear in mind as well, that the PbP is not gender-neutral. That is, news articles and PbP will still use the masculine pronoun.
battists, you may have missed that the first post mentioned the custom english.xml that changes male pronouns to female ones.
Raidergoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 02:47 PM   #7
battists
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raidergoo
battists, you may have missed that the first post mentioned the custom english.xml that changes male pronouns to female ones.
Yup, missed it. But there are also hard-coded references in the game that will not be caught by changing the XML file.

Just warnin' ya!

Steve
Old 07-17-2006, 03:08 PM   #8
dougaiton
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Yup, missed it. But there are also hard-coded references in the game that will not be caught by changing the XML file.

Just warnin' ya!

Steve
Just checking, but I thought the hardcoded references were only to GMs, right? Or are there other Easter Eggs in there?
dougaiton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 03:44 PM   #9
battists
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougaiton
Just checking, but I thought the hardcoded references were only to GMs, right? Or are there other Easter Eggs in there?
Some of the text that appears in a PBP game is hard-coded. For example, when it says "That was his 15th home run of the season." So, even if you have a female baseball league, all of these will say "his". It's also hard-coded when a fielder waves off another fielder, for example.

There are others as well, but there is no one comprehensive list. One way to check this would be to replace all categories in the XML file with phrases starting with "XML:"

That way, when you play a game, any line that does NOT begin with "XML:" is hard-coded. (Except for the fact that some XML entries span multiple lines.)
Old 07-17-2006, 03:47 PM   #10
dougaiton
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Some of the text that appears in a PBP game is hard-coded. For example, when it says "That was his 15th home run of the season." So, even if you have a female baseball league, all of these will say "his". It's also hard-coded when a fielder waves off another fielder, for example.

There are others as well, but there is no one comprehensive list. One way to check this would be to replace all categories in the XML file with phrases starting with "XML:"

That way, when you play a game, any line that does NOT begin with "XML:" is hard-coded. (Except for the fact that some XML entries span multiple lines.)
Heck. Ah well, I can turn a blind eye to that! Many thanks for the answer, and I'll give it a whirl and see what other ones pop up.
dougaiton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 11:12 PM   #11
BMW
Hall Of Famer

female_names file

This thread is very old, but in case anyone is still looking for a file, this one has all the standard nations, with anywhere from 100-8000 names per nation.

There may be some repeated names within a nation, and aside from the US and US historical, all the Name Rate fields are set to 1.

There are quite a few special characters in there, and I haven't tested it with OOTP, but it's here for anyone who wants to take the final steps.

I couldn't get the ZIP small enough, so I took the .txt file and slapped an .xls extension on it. Just erase the .xls and you have your normal .txt file.
Attached Files
File Type: xls female_names.txt.xls (561.1 KB, 14850 views)

Last edited by BMW; 09-03-2008 at 11:13 PM.
BMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 07:52 PM   #12
The Game
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW View Post
This thread is very old, but in case anyone is still looking for a file, this one has all the standard nations, with anywhere from 100-8000 names per nation.

There may be some repeated names within a nation, and aside from the US and US historical, all the Name Rate fields are set to 1.

There are quite a few special characters in there, and I haven't tested it with OOTP, but it's here for anyone who wants to take the final steps.

I couldn't get the ZIP small enough, so I took the .txt file and slapped an .xls extension on it. Just erase the .xls and you have your normal .txt file.
If i add this to the existing OOTP default 1st names, do they need to be in alphabetical order to work? I was just going to copy & paste to the back end of the 1st names txt.
Don't bottle your emotions till they crack and fill a couple just sorrows
Take your mind and refocus go get a paper write your goals out
Throw your middle fingers to all your haters

"Stay Strong"

The Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 09:29 PM   #13
BMW
Hall Of Famer

This file is so old, I have no idea to what extent it would still work. This might have been made for OOTP8 or OOTP9 and we're on OOTP22 now.

That said, others in this subforum might know if the file would work in general. I do doubt that at any time the names needed to be in alphabetical order to work.

As a programmer myself, it wouldn't make a lot of sense to expect any variable dataset to be loaded into your program and make it only work if the data was in alphabetical order. Granted you could always be adapting your old code to new code and have a few legacy behaviors - I'm just saying that it's pretty unlikely.
Old 06-01-2021, 10:15 PM   #14
joefromchicago
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Game View Post
If i add this to the existing OOTP default 1st names, do they need to be in alphabetical order to work? I was just going to copy & paste to the back end of the 1st names txt.
If you do that, you'll be mixing male and female names together. If that's your intention, then go for it. Alphabetical order doesn't matter. If not, then you'll need to assign different nameset IDs to one or the other.

And if you want a nice, tidy, alphabetized names file, you can always copy and paste the data from the names file into a spreadsheet program. There, you can sort the data however you like and then C&P it back into the text file.
joefromchicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 08:42 AM   #15
The Game
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by joefromchicago View Post
If you do that, you'll be mixing male and female names together. If that's your intention, then go for it. Alphabetical order doesn't matter. If not, then you'll need to assign different nameset IDs to one or the other.

And if you want a nice, tidy, alphabetized names file, you can always copy and paste the data from the names file into a spreadsheet program. There, you can sort the data however you like and then C&P it back into the text file.
Yes, that is my intent. thanx.
Don't bottle your emotions till they crack and fill a couple just sorrows
Take your mind and refocus go get a paper write your goals out
Throw your middle fingers to all your haters

"Stay Strong"

The Game is offline   Reply With Quote