Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 18 > OOTP 18 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 18 - General Discussions Everything about the 2017 version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 03-30-2017, 05:23 PM   #1
Neasag
Minors (Double A)

Teams not filling lowest minor affiliate.

I'm having an issue in a fictional league where the AI refuses to sign enough players to fill its lowest minor affiliate. In OOTP17, the AI would always keep 40+ players at the lowest level. However, now in OOTP18 the AI keeps 13-15 total players, and something like 4 pitchers.

I imported an OOTP 17 league, with exactly the same settings. As soon as I did, the AI purged its lowest affiliate.

This is actually screwing up my league, since large numbers of young players rot in free agency, then retire. Surely I'm not the only one seeing this?
Neasag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 05:39 PM   #2
HonusWagner
All Star Reserve

I think I had a similar sounding problem. I changed the roster limits to "no limits" and have had no problems since.
HonusWagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 06:02 PM   #3
Neasag
Minors (Double A)

Problem is, it's already set to "no limits".
Old 03-31-2017, 08:05 AM   #4
jpeters1734
Hall Of Famer

best thing to do in this situation is to report it as a bug and upload your league files.
http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...d.php?t=275256

Founder and League Caretaker of the Professional Baseball Circuit, www.probaseballcircuit.com

An Un-Official Guide to Minor League Management in OOTP 21

Ratings Scale Conversion Cross-Reference Cheat Sheet
jpeters1734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 10:55 AM   #5
Neasag
Minors (Double A)

Yeah, that's what I've done now.
Old 03-31-2017, 07:43 PM   #6
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

i reported this shortly before you...

It is somethign not quite workign right, since there are tons of options to be signed in FA and their international complex... BUT, there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

Whatever has caused this is likely tied to the solution, too... they've changed how the AI handles the rookie leauge for sure... i've noticed as i bump up # of draft rounds that the ones with plenty of players are doing a better job of limiting how many are in rookies league and not having 30-40 in the tiers above either.

it doesn't go much higher than 45-50ish even as i've added ~7-10 rounds over time.

anyway 1 layer at each tier - 25-30 rounds needed, this year. This will maintain ~45 for 80-90% of the league and a few will dwindle to ~30ish but still be able to cover the bases.

if you have 2 rookies or 2 of anything at any tier, you will need more. i'd guess what it suggests for modern ... ~32 or whatever ... it says "if you go lower you will have trouble keeping league filled" [sic].

I use service time limit of 2 years (allows 3 years of eligibility) for the rookie league). that will be significant too... if yo udon't use service time limits, you won't need nearly as many rounds, FYI.

i need to turnover the rookies league in 3 years... all new players... if 1/2 the picks go to HS kids thats ~30some players plus influx of international ama FA and discoveies per year... = enough. so, it's not jsut a blind stab in the dark -- use your settings to determine how to use this info.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 11:42 PM   #7
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

hey, bump up the rounds of hte draft slowly until you see all the teams roughly maintain ~45 at rookie ball. it's probably safe to just pick a larger number and ignore it, too... but excess deleted players may bog down the game later on?? best to find the lowest point possible while maintaining enough players at rookie league. (in years past you couldn't do this, which is maybe why we are in the same boat due to expetations? it's a concern we don't need anymore as of '18)

this assumes normal structure but not real-world that has 2+ rookie teams for some organizations.... in that case if ost players are kept in one or the others.. that one whousl be ~45... or they both need enough of each position and you'll have to look a bit harder.

this year seems different... i think you can just load up on draft rounds and the ai does a better job of not hoarding 70-80-90+ players.

i can give you some guesses on # of rounds... i have service time limits that will significantly affect this, though...

R - 2 years max, so 3 years eligibility.
S A - 3 / 4eligible
A- 4 / 5 years
AA- 4 / 6 years

so, my Rookie league needs enough players every 3 years to literally cover the bases and other positions... figure at least half the picks go to younger players more ikely to go to rookie ball... more likely more than half, but this is on the safe side.

25-30 will keep a single leayer filled -- this isn't about 'most' of the teams, but 'all' of the teams... the stragglers may still get as low as 30-35.. just a couple teams in any year typically.

i have seen R-teams with 30 players not have enough position players or pitchers... so, that's not enouhg, typically.

also, most don't get higher than R-SA-A ball... so you need more than just replacement numbers for the next tier... attrition causes a need for more each level up...

so, 45 at rookie-level is not too many... it's just enough.

Last edited by NoOne; 04-01-2017 at 11:43 PM.
Old 04-02-2017, 08:20 PM   #8
Neasag
Minors (Double A)

This hasn't been fixed in the latest patch. AI is still broken.

I also notice that independent leagues will also fail to sign enough players, or a proper balance of pitchers and batters, despite tons of free agents.
Old 04-02-2017, 08:37 PM   #9
mitchkenn
Hall Of Famer

we discussed this in beta testing.
Either it's using ghost players, or manually going through teams with extra players on their reserve rosters or using those in the Free Agent list and assigning them to the teams short of players.
Ghost players is the easiest i guess.
not my decision, just what the discussion pointed out.
don't shoot the piano player.
"I saw a young man leaning on his wooden crutch - He called out to me, 'Don't ask for so much' And a young woman leaning in her darkened door She cried out to me, 'Why not ask for more?' " - Leonard Cohen
"Hello darkness, my old Friend ...." - Paul Simon
Before Mays, before DiMaggio, there was Oscar Charleston.
"All the lies about Babe Ruth are true." - Waite Hoyt

Avatar is the late great Townes Van Zandt. rip.

Last edited by mitchkenn; 04-02-2017 at 08:38 PM.
mitchkenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 08:40 PM   #10
Orioles1966
Hall Of Famer

I have 4 fictional leagues(all with reserve's) and none of the teams have been signing players and some of the team rosters are below the player limit(26 or 28 or 30).
Orioles1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 02:35 AM   #11
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

i can't tell you anythign for a reserve, but ... i can say for certain you can load up on draft rounds without saturation.

with a reserve that might not be much help?... but a rookie team carrying 45 players is almost assured to have enough of each position... (closer than you think, though... i've seen 6c or 51b on a R team, lol, that crap can add up fast if too many positions are duplicated -> bad luck) that should be enough to feed the next tier including attrition, too.