Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 15 > OOTP 15 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 15 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2014 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 08-08-2014, 12:56 PM   #1
tayloraj
Minors (Double A)

Move Over DiMaggio, Make Room for the Hobo...

So I'm playing through my current MLB quickstart league in 2025, desperately trying to shore up the rather lousy pitching staff of my Red Sox, when my mailbox began to fill up rather regularly with news that Pittsburgh's second baseman, Raul "Hobo" Saenz was on a hitting streak. I didn't think much of it at first, since these things tend to burn themselves out after 22 games or whatever.

This time, however, Hobo kept going on and going, on past 30, past 40, breaking the NL record on June 21 and zooming right on past 50. He pulled even with Joltin' Joe on July 3rd, and, on the 4th of July, surpassed him, picking up a single in the 8th inning to extend his streak through its 57th game. The Reds finally held him hitless on the 13th, but by then he'd extended his streak all the way to 63.

I've been playing OOTP since OOTPX, and this is the longest hitting streak I've ever seen, although Frankie Frisch did once hit in 58 straight in a historical sim I did in OOTP13. Saenz possesses the perfect qualities for a streak: tremendous contact ability, speed, and a seemingly pathological unwillingness to take a walk (his career high in unintentional walks is 23). I guess this is just a reminder that, no matter how long I've been playing this game, there's always a chance to witness something incredible that I've never seen before.
Attached Images
tayloraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 12:59 PM   #2
Mike45
Minors (Double A)

nice! cool to hear things like this. Longest streak I've ever had in any league I've run was 50, twice, both times by Harry Heilman in the early 20's
Mike45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 01:20 PM   #3
munstermash
Minors (Triple A)

that is awesome, 34 is the longest i have seen in my games.
munstermash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 08:08 PM   #4
mikestack
Minors (Triple A)

I saw (and started a thread for...) 58 games a long time ago:

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...-counting.html

I simmed a season I think after the second or third patch this year where two players on 2014 rosters hit 40 game hitting streaks simultaneously. Ithought that was pretty cool.
mikestack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 08:10 PM   #5
Cryomaniac
Hall Of Famer

Awesome story, and for him to break the record in the 8th inning on the 4th of July? Even better. If that happened in real life I don't know what would happen.

Cryomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 08:47 PM   #6
JMDurron
All Star Starter

This is one record that I put ahead of winning games when I get a shot at it. Whoever is on the streak gets moved to leadoff, always swings away, etc., to try to get that wife-beating jerk out of the record books. No luck yet, though!

63 games is just awe-inspiring. Thanks for posting.
JMDurron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 08:20 PM   #7
tayloraj
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomaniac View Post
Awesome story, and for him to break the record in the 8th inning on the 4th of July? Even better. If that happened in real life I don't know what would happen.
I was thinking about this, too; kind of imagining the media frenzy to end all media frenzies, with the poor kid having to answer the same idiotic questions about the streak every day for weeks on end. Even setting aside non-white players, modern breaking pitches and relief pitchers, DiMaggio never had to deal with the 24-hour news cycle, social media and our society's obsession with celebrity gossip, making the Hobo's streak even more imaginarily impressive.
Old 08-10-2014, 08:33 PM   #8
JMDurron
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tayloraj View Post
I was thinking about this, too; kind of imagining the media frenzy to end all media frenzies, with the poor kid having to answer the same idiotic questions about the streak every day for weeks on end. Even setting aside non-white players, modern breaking pitches and relief pitchers, DiMaggio never had to deal with the 24-hour news cycle, social media and our society's obsession with celebrity gossip, making the Hobo's streak even more imaginarily impressive.
Not only that, but DiMaggio had the positive press coverage that comes with a team that was always winning during his streak. A player on a mediocre or bad team would likely get a completely different type of media treatment, even for that time and place.
JMDurron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 09:01 PM   #9
tayloraj
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMDurron View Post
Not only that, but DiMaggio had the positive press coverage that comes with a team that was always winning during his streak. A player on a mediocre or bad team would likely get a completely different type of media treatment, even for that time and place.
The 2025 Pirates finished 77-85 in the midst of a run of poor seasons that would see them lost 97 games the year before and 100 the year after. Saenz himself would bolt Pittsburgh after his record-setting season for the green, green pastures of the Bronx, taking $124 million of the Steinbrenners' money
to play for a half-decent (91-71) Yankees team. Given that he hit .374 while leading the AL in hits his first year (230), I'm going to guess that the New York press did stay somewhat off his back.

Even so, it's hard to expect the same kind of treatment Joe D got playing on a team so stacked they'd have won the pennant easily with Vince Dimaggio in center. Just like they would have in '36, '37, '38, and '39...