Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager > FHM - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2013, 10:15 AM   #41
Mafarfloune
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jh95 View Post
5. Niklas Lidstrom was taken 1st overall in 88. This should not be possible. He was a hidden talent and taken in later rounds by Detroit. True Talent should be hidden somehow to get it more realistic (in a historical perspective).

6. Rob Blake, Tony Amonte and John LeClair were taken in the 1st round of 88. Their rights were released by their draft teams in the following months (July/August). This should not happen in the first place. And to Amonte and LeClair the same Problems applies as described in 5..
Fair point, but being true to history in that regard would bring up a much worse problem : drafts would become waaayyyy too easy for human players. Even if the AI doesn't know that Lidstrom is a HOF talent, you will still know it, and be able to snatch him before any AI team. Same goes for every other late round picks : Luc Robitaille, Pavel Datsyuk, Henrik Zetterberg, Henrik Lundqvist, Peter Bondra, Pavel Kubina, Daniel Alfredsson, Brett Hull, Theo Fleury and so on. And then you have a loaded team and the game is boring.
Mafarfloune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 10:29 AM   #42
Claude Luster
Bat Boy

This is great! Thanks so much for everyone's hard work!
Claude Luster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 10:29 AM   #43
jh95
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mafarfloune View Post
Fair point, but being true to history in that regard would bring up a much worse problem : drafts would become waaayyyy too easy for human players. Even if the AI doesn't know that Lidstrom is a HOF talent, you will still know it, and be able to snatch him before any AI team. Same goes for every other late round picks : Luc Robitaille, Pavel Datsyuk, Henrik Zetterberg, Henrik Lundqvist, Peter Bondra, Pavel Kubina, Daniel Alfredsson, Brett Hull, Theo Fleury and so on. And then you have a loaded team and the game is boring.
In my oppinion historical games are only interesting if you have the salme environment as it was in those times.
Nobody knew e.g. about N. Lidstrom. Except for some Detroit scouts.

For me the fun in historical mode is what would have happened if my Team/me knew about that too.

But foremost it should be as realistic as possible.

The NHL Pre-Draft Rankings did not list N. Lidstrom going 1st Overall in 1988.
So why should this happen in a historical game?
jh95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 10:38 AM   #44
Mafarfloune
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
In my oppinion historical games are only interesting if you have the salme environment as it was in those times.

For me the fun in historical mode is what would have happened if my Team/me knew about that too.

So basically what you want is for history to be respected... except for your team?
Old 09-08-2013, 11:21 AM   #45
jh95
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mafarfloune View Post
So basically what you want is for history to be respected... except for your team?
Yes, in some way that´s how I imagine the historic mode...

But not only for my team.
If no human would control a team N. Lidstrom should also be chosen late in the draft.
jh95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 12:07 PM   #46
dave1927p
FHM Moderator

Quote:
I tried the "Historical Mode" today in this new Version.

5. Niklas Lidstrom was taken 1st overall in 88. This should not be possible. He was a hidden talent and taken in later rounds by Detroit. True Talent should be hidden somehow to get it more realistic (in a historical perspective).
This was a choice made by FHM to make the historical mode have a fun factor. For example if Lindstrom of any of the Russians of the late to early 90s were to go in the late rounds, the user would always pick them knowing how great they are. In historical mode currently any late round steals are impossible because of this choice. The AI knows the players potential.

They have just recently said how they have found a way to make players get drafted approximately where they did in real life but will take some time to implement as it probably requires a lot of editing of ratings.

In terms of the update, this is a great one. They've definitely worked some long hours on it. This is one that should of been on release date.

And now that we can simulate beyond 6 years (that's as far as I am right now and still going), I certainly see a patern of too many young players taking over the league. The average age looks like it could be as low as 25 for most teams.

Last edited by dave1927p; 09-08-2013 at 02:46 PM.
dave1927p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 03:00 PM   #47
MacIsaacM
Minors (Double A)

Not bad -- thanks for this.

If I can add a hope of mine to the countless others, I hope the Goalie filter for FA load times isn't a permanent fix. It does nothing if I still want to sort skaters by overall or potential, and I'm not going combing through 3000 players.
MacIsaacM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 03:04 PM   #48
dmacgreg37
Major Leagues

Quote:

Maybe as an option, something like that would work. But I'm with the other people posting in here that say that you have to have them appear as they were later. Otherwise, it'd be far too easy. I MUCH prefer the system they put in.
dmacgreg37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 03:38 PM   #49
Rob316
Minors (Single A)

**JeffR**

I appreciate you guys are keeping this Tough guy and Enforcer system in the back of your heads. It's looking like all of this was overlooked obviously in the first place and the developers are proving to have a more difficult time on implementing the system then previously thought.

There's two things that still strike me as when they finally take up the challenge to actually solidify this matter and they are :

- If you do manage to get teams to finally value these players, and the various teams throughout the hockey world especially the NHL / AHL in fact use them in the lineups I hope you are AWARE these players are still not fighting on a regular basis right ? You can lead a horse to water... but you can't make it drink!!

- Agitators like Ott, Kaleta, Desjardins, Roussel, Marchand, Cooke, Rinaldo and the list goes on. Will they be drawing penalties as opposed to taking them for they're "dirty" play ?

I really do believe you guys have your work cut out and are doing a phenomenal job, there's alot of requests and features people are really going over the top for and some I truly shake my head at... I intent to help you by making this aware every other patch and now that I've caught your attention on it, I truly hope you run with it and polish it off Jeff. It's obviously a big part of the game that isn't implemented to well and when it is, I'm sure it'll be valued alot!

*cheers* OOTP Crew.

Rob.
Rob316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 03:40 PM   #50
MacIsaacM
Minors (Double A)

Is anyone else having a not enough players to create a proper line-up problem?

I have no idea what the issue is -- my line-up is good to go.
MacIsaacM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 04:51 PM   #51
Mafarfloune
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacIsaacM View Post
Is anyone else having a not enough players to create a proper line-up problem?

I have no idea what the issue is -- my line-up is good to go.
Make sure your third PK unit has players assigned, even if you wish to play only 2.
Old 09-08-2013, 06:47 PM   #52
shootermcgavin
Bat Boy

Thanks!

Just wanted to say thanks to Jeff and the dev team for their hard work and clear concern about client satisfaction on this project. I've played a ton of video games, and I can honestly say I've never encountered a game where the dev team solicits -- and actually acts on -- feedback as consistently as you guys.

Sure I've got some quibbles here and there with bugs, UI, etc., and it would be great if the game could do this or that and shoot lasers from its eyes. But months ago I paid some 30-odd dollars for a game that has swallowed up a great many hours of my time already, and will surely eat up a ton more. Even if 1.0 had never come out, I'd have gotten solid value for the dollar. Knowing that you guys are still working on making it even better -- including releasing a pretty significant patch a week after launch -- makes FHM one of the better video game purchase decisions I've made.

All this to say, thanks to you all!

Last edited by shootermcgavin; 09-08-2013 at 06:49 PM.
shootermcgavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 07:01 PM   #53
dave1927p
FHM Moderator

I, Maple Leafs GM, tried to trade Bozak and Phaneuf to Boston for Lucic and Chara. Boston said "no way". Are you kidding me!? This trading must still be broken. Who would turn down such all-time great leader defenceman and 1st line centre superstar. And they say us maple leaf fans overrate our players. Common!
Old 09-08-2013, 07:40 PM   #54
Bruins86
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1927p View Post
I, Maple Leafs GM, tried to trade Bozak and Phaneuf to Boston for Lucic and Chara. Boston said "no way". Are you kidding me!? This trading must still be broken. Who would turn down such all-time great leader defenceman and 1st line centre superstar. And they say us maple leaf fans overrate our players. Common!
Try two 1st's and a 2nd.
Bruins86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 09:06 PM   #55
QMJHL_GUY

Quote:

Doing it this way will cause your dynasty to be very different than the real NHL and that is kinda the goal of historical mode isnt it ? In this case Lidstrom gets taken 1st overall sure, but the game has pre-set data % for busts and late round steals.

Which means Lidstrom might just bust after being taken 1st and some no-name guy that never played a single NHL game that you're going to draft in the last round could developp into the new Daniel Alfredsson.

You should view things that way instead.
QMJHL_GUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 01:33 AM   #56
BryceG
Bat Boy

Crash Build 3

I started a Custom League - 22 teams. I had a fantastic initial draft while for some reason it seemed Computer teams drafted a bunch of low ranking bums. I also noticed before the draft all teams had a bunch of players on the roster ranking 4 and below and counting towards the salary cap.

So the real trouble came after the draft I simulated to Sept 18,2013 and now no matter what I do it crashes everytime I try and simulate the 18th of September? Not sure what the issue is?

Cheers Bryce
BryceG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:35 AM   #57
Russ1983
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmerger View Post
Also I am trying to make a trade but for some reason the game is defaulting me as the Montreal Canadians when I am playing as the NY Rangers.

Will post this in the bugs thread too.
Same here, im playing as the nottingham Panthers and the game is defaulting me as Tampa Bay.
Russ1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 06:44 AM   #58
Peter G
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Crashing when making trades

I am playing historical mode and tried to make a trade with Terry Sawchuk and Goedie Howe and the game crashes. I love the game and know that there will be clitches but thought you guys need to know.
Peter G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 07:18 AM   #59
Rayzor
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1927p View Post
Maybe the AI watch the Leafs playoff games last season & said "No Way" I don't want the bum Phaneuf, not even close to a "all-time great leader", are u saying he's in the same class as, oh...BOBBY ORR, your dreaming man.

Go Sens.
Rayzor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 08:26 AM   #60
Smetana
All Star Starter

Somebody's sarcasm detector has malfunctioned.
Smetana is offline   Reply With Quote