Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 15 > OOTP 15 - General Discussions

OOTP 15 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2014 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Closed Thread

Old 05-19-2014, 03:57 PM   #41
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Just another reason why the Nickname Project is one of the greatest mods in gaming history.

Alright, I have a really dumb question once again. What about playing historical? Those teams will still come in as the Tigers, Yankees, Indians etc?

Last edited by David Watts; 05-19-2014 at 04:02 PM.
Old 05-19-2014, 03:57 PM   #42
Cryomaniac
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Heinsohn View Post
For 2015 we plan to negotiate a proper MLB licensing for both OOTP 16 and iOOTP 2015, so in the future this no longer will be an issue.
Hopefully this can be done for minimal cost, but unfortunately I'm not optimistic that it wont end up increasing the price of the game, and I'm guessing MLB wouldn't be too keen on you keeping brawls, drug suspensions and various other storylines. If it comes to that I'd rather the games stayed unlicensed and customisable.

Old 05-19-2014, 04:03 PM   #43
Cinnamon J. Scudworth
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG17EASY View Post
OK, makes sense. I just can't wrap my head around where the line is (or why there would be a line) between a photo at the top of a profile page in a text-based game and a player swinging a bat or throwing a pitch in a console game.
There is no difference. The photos have to be licensed. OOTP gets around this by not actually providing the photos. Same as with the team logos/uniforms. The all-in-one mod is a separate user-created mod. Player names (and stats) are fine though.
"Sometimes, this is like going to a grocery store. You’ve got a list until you get to the check-out stand. And then you start reading People magazine, and all this other [stuff] ends up in the basket."

-Sandy Alderson on the MLB offseason

Last edited by Cinnamon J. Scudworth; 05-19-2014 at 04:07 PM.
Old 05-19-2014, 04:10 PM   #44
ukhotstove
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryomaniac View Post
Hopefully this can be done for minimal cost, but unfortunately I'm not optimistic that it wont end up increasing the price of the game, and I'm guessing MLB wouldn't be too keen on you keeping brawls, drug suspensions and various other storylines. If it comes to that I'd rather the games stayed unlicensed and customisable.

I'm with you, we already put the logos and jerseys in, changing a few nicknames is easy.
Old 05-19-2014, 04:12 PM   #45
Tekneek
Major Leagues

Quote:
If they really have to compromise in pricing/features to get the MLB license, they should sell two different versions. One as the MLB OOTP game and the other as the real OOTP that we are all accustomed to having. If the market forces indicate that the MLB license is not really in demand, then drop it from future releases. The only way to really know for sure would be to let the market play out.
Old 05-19-2014, 04:13 PM   #46
Cryomaniac
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukhotstove View Post
I'm with you, we already put the logos and jerseys in, changing a few nicknames is easy.
I'd be okay with it being licensed IF MLB don't meddle in the game. I'm not too optimistic on that.

Old 05-19-2014, 04:20 PM   #47
ukhotstove
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I'd be okay with it being licensed IF MLB don't meddle in the game. I'm not too optimistic on that.
I don't use the storylines within the game, I make my own up so have no idea what they even are. I totally see your point with them maybe sticking their noses in, actually a bit surprised that they haven't before as far as storylines are concerned.
Old 05-19-2014, 04:27 PM   #48
Cryomaniac
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukhotstove View Post
I don't use the storylines within the game, I make my own up so have no idea what they even are. I totally see your point with them maybe sticking their noses in, actually a bit surprised that they haven't before as far as storylines are concerned.
It isn't just the storylines I'd be worried about, I'd be unsurprised if they also went after other stuff too (brawls & drug suspensions mostly, but there's also historical leagues and some customisation stuff).

Not having real team names is also going to put A LOT of potential customers off and affect review scores.

Old 05-19-2014, 04:34 PM   #49
jaysdailydose
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
It isn't just the storylines I'd be worried about, I'd be unsurprised if they also went after other stuff too (brawls & drug suspensions mostly, but there's also historical leagues and some customisation stuff).

Not having real team names is also going to put A LOT of potential customers off and affect review scores.
I disagree. Team and player names having to be edited never screwed ncaa football over.
Old 05-19-2014, 04:42 PM   #50
Cryomaniac
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysdailydose View Post
I disagree. Team and player names having to be edited never screwed ncaa football over.
NCAA Had team names for the most part IIRC, but not player names. This would seem to be the exact opposite of that.

Old 05-19-2014, 04:51 PM   #51
BIG17EASY
Hall Of Famer

I don't think we're in danger of losing player names, but I could be wrong. I'd think that if we were, Markus would have to take them out in this next patch, which he isn't. It's only team nicknames that are affected, which isn't that big of a deal. It's a bigger deal if it includes minor league teams, but that's still nothing compared to losing player names.

I also suspect that an hour or so after the next patch (and subsequent patches) is released, someone's going to post the latest MLB quickstart with the nicknames fixed, so we can all just download that instead of having to do it ourselves.
Old 05-19-2014, 04:52 PM   #52
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Given the MLB's history of meddling with licensees - and, of course, their total incompetence - that's exactly what has me worried too.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
Old 05-19-2014, 05:18 PM   #53
JohnHoward
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
Given the MLB's history of meddling with licensees - and, of course, their total incompetence - that's exactly what has me worried too.
I agree with both of you. I'm not going to be the doomsayer here but I foresee an exploitative licensing agreement and a break-even retail price of $80 for the game. Next to follow would be MLB lawyers going after individual mod makers for copyright infringement. It would be expensive and pointless but that just about sums up MLB corporate "strategy".
Old 05-19-2014, 05:20 PM   #54
JohnHoward
All Star Reserve

Quote:
I don't think we're in danger of losing player names, but I could be wrong.
Well that would be a separate licensing agreement with MLBPA.
Old 05-19-2014, 05:22 PM   #55
Cryomaniac
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I don't think we're in danger of losing player names, but I could be wrong. I'd think that if we were, Markus would have to take them out in this next patch, which he isn't. It's only team nicknames that are affected, which isn't that big of a deal. It's a bigger deal if it includes minor league teams, but that's still nothing compared to losing player names.

I also suspect that an hour or so after the next patch (and subsequent patches) is released, someone's going to post the latest MLB quickstart with the nicknames fixed, so we can all just download that instead of having to do it ourselves.
The problem is that "casual gamers" most likely don't want to have to download a mod to get real team names (I agree that player names aren't an issue here), so a lot of them will just not download the game. It also effects how reviewers talk about the game, since they wont be able to mention real teams in the reviews without disclaimers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnHoward View Post
Well that would be a separate licensing agreement with MLBPA.
That isn't necessary as long as you don't include pictures by default. MLBPA lost a court case about that some years back.

Old 05-19-2014, 05:32 PM   #56
JohnHoward
All Star Reserve

Quote:

That isn't necessary as long as you don't include pictures by default. MLBPA lost a court case about that some years back.
Right, I remember.
Old 05-19-2014, 06:17 PM   #57
Trebro
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
I would be willing to bet the first thing to go is customization, either by direct order or by going after anyone who posts a mod.

In fact, wouldn't shock me if they' C&D OOTPMods within a week.
Old 05-19-2014, 06:22 PM   #58
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Geez guys let things happen before we have the apocalypse dance.

RichW

#stopthestupid

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
Old 05-19-2014, 06:42 PM   #59
Sweed
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by panelpatter View Post
I would be willing to bet the first thing to go is customization, either by direct order or by going after anyone who posts a mod.

In fact, wouldn't shock me if they' C&D OOTPMods within a week.
Keep in mind Markus doesn't have to buy the license if he doesn't like requirements that come with it. I would think no customization would be a deal breaker for Markus, but who knows?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RchW View Post
Geez guys let things happen before we have the apocalypse dance.
This is very good advice.
Old 05-19-2014, 06:52 PM   #60
24Rocks
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweed View Post
This is very good advice.
Most people have played a version of this game that didn't have proper team names, i know I hated having to change them in V7 V8 when i wanted to make a new league and its probably just a minor bump what have had MLB team loaded up since v9 I think and every year after that and no problems so this is just a minor bump and every one need to clam there tits man.

AFBL:Ontario Blue Pirates (2013-2055) 3177-3255(.494)
Wild Card:8
Division Titles: 8
Pennants: 2020, 2049, 2051
2051 CHAMPS

Former leagues:
LOHO: Detroit Tigers
ISL: San Diego Padres
VSL: Pittsburgh Pirates
NPBL: Ohio Raptors/Nova Scotia Fishermen
Check you my YOUTUBE or TWITCH
Closed Thread