Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 15 > OOTP 15 - General Discussions

OOTP 15 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2014 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

View Poll Results: Do you want team color text boxes back?
Yes..It really adds to the immersion factor 120 76.92%
No...It really doesnt matter to me at all 32 20.51%
Undecided 4 2.56%
Voters: 156. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 04-27-2014, 11:29 PM   #81
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honorable_Pawn View Post
It could be popcorn Markus was selling. He better check to see if people want butter on their popcorn or if they want vegetable oil.
And if the popcorn vendor suddenly decides to replace everyone's favorite butter with cheap margarine, then he'd better expect upset customers.

Which is what we have here.

This ill-conceived change really impacts those of us who play every game out.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
Old 04-27-2014, 11:29 PM   #82
megamanmatt
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
If Markus wasn't around someone else would quickly fill that void--I'm sure you have heard of football manager and a half a dozen others.

The only other game in the last 20 years or so to really compete with OOTP is Baseball Mogul. You weren't here but in 2005 OOTPDevelpoments was bought by SI, the makers of Football Manager. Worst OOTP release in the game's history. I'm not exaggerating ask anyone who was here.

It was my first release and second verson. Oh the memories......
"The Minneapolis Lakers moved to Los Angeles, where there are no lakes; The Oilers moved to Tennessee where there is no oil; the Jazz moved to Salt Lake City where they don't allow music; The Oakland Raiders moved to Los Angeles and then back to Oakland, no one in Los Angeles seemed to notice."

Note to self: Princess Kenny was really off-putting.
Old 04-27-2014, 11:30 PM   #83
Fyrestorm3
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I understand the license purchase thing. It is irrelevant to my point. It could be popcorn Markus was selling. He better check to see if people want butter on their popcorn or if they want vegetable oil.
That is, somehow, a brilliant metaphor for this situation. If OOTP was a movie theater, Markus has been selling us popcorn with butter, but always had vegetable oil available for those who wanted it. This year, he's decided to sell the popcorn with vegetable oil and not even offer a choice of butter. This doesn't affect the quality of the movie theater on the whole, but it's irksome and there's no reason the customer shouldn't be offered butter as an option.
Old 04-27-2014, 11:31 PM   #84
megamanmatt
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
And if the popcorn vendor suddenly decides to replace everyone's favorite butter with cheap margarine, then he'd better expect upset customers.

Which is what we have here.

This ill-conceived change really impacts those of us who play every game out.

Much better analogy. See the problem, as I see it, isn't that old version was better but that the secondary color is essentially useless as it isn't utilized for anything.
"The Minneapolis Lakers moved to Los Angeles, where there are no lakes; The Oilers moved to Tennessee where there is no oil; the Jazz moved to Salt Lake City where they don't allow music; The Oakland Raiders moved to Los Angeles and then back to Oakland, no one in Los Angeles seemed to notice."

Old 04-27-2014, 11:33 PM   #85
Honorable_Pawn
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by megamanmatt View Post
Much better analogy. See the problem, as I see it, isn't that old version was better but that the secondary color is essentially useless as it isn't utilized for anything.
Funny how something so "useless" has exploded into the most important thread.
Old 04-27-2014, 11:33 PM   #86
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
If people ask for butter or vegetable oil after they've purchased and consumed the popcorn then what their choice is is irrelevant, however the customer will learn to check what the options are before they hand over their precious dollar and the seller will learn to offer options to reach an even wider customer base.
Matt, this is a real issue to ~80% of us. We know from the poll there are ~20% to whom it isn't, and obviously you are one of the ~20%, and that's okay, but the other ~80% of us really do have legitimate concerns here.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
Old 04-27-2014, 11:36 PM   #87
megamanmatt
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

HP. Reread what I said. You're speaking before digesting. That was me agreeing with you.

Old 04-27-2014, 11:38 PM   #88
megamanmatt
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Matt, this is a real issue to ~80% of us. We know from the poll there are ~20% to whom it isn't, and obviously you are one of the ~20%, and that's okay, but the other ~80% of us really do have legitimate concerns here.
No. I just think it's a different issue than the rest of you. Actually I'd be willing to guess most of you think it's actually the same issue as me but are so focused on one thing you're not seeing the forest for the trees.

Old 04-27-2014, 11:40 PM   #89
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrestorm3 View Post
For what it's worth, using the MLB as an example: the Yankees, Rays, Tigers, Indians, Twins, Mariners, Braves, Brewers, and Nationals ALL default to similar shades of Navy & White. Meanwhile, the Red Sox, Cardinals, Reds, Phillies, Angels, and Diamondbacks ALL default to Red & White. The Royals, Rangers, Blue Jays, Cubs, and Mets ALL default to a lighter Blue & White. Yikes.

To those saying it's not a big deal: well, it's not. No one's saying it's a total game-breaker. I don't regret buying 15 in the least, and it's still a great game that I would wholeheartedly recommend to others. But I really, REALLY do not like this change. Try playing out a game between two of those teams above and tell me it isn't at least a little annoying to have only a few shades of difference between the two teams. Just being able to have tan text for Arizona and black text for Cincinatti adds an incredible amount of variation that we (obviously) took for granted before.

The thing that I'm upset about, however, is the fact that this cosmetic change was FORCED on us. This is a game that is built and marketed on customization. Even the new UI comes pre-packaged with three different skins. It doesn't make any sense whatsoever to take any cosmetic option away from the players.

As I said before, a default to white & black text would be fine, as long as there was some way to change it back.
I tell ya one thing. I do miss such combos as the distinctive blue and orange of the Mets, brown and orange of the Giants, and the black and yellow of the Pirates. There's a bunch more but I'm tired.

- Bru

Old 04-27-2014, 11:40 PM   #90
Honorable_Pawn
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
HP. Reread what I said. You're speaking before digesting. That was me agreeing with you.
Oh...call that Budweiser.
Old 04-27-2014, 11:44 PM   #91
megamanmatt
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Oh...call that Budweiser.
No problem. I do it all the time. Well not Budweiser, mine we'll call wacky tabacky. Either way I knew you just hadn't quite fully processed it. Happens to the best of us.

Old 04-27-2014, 11:45 PM   #92
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Which is a good thing because THIS is the way that we bring an issue to the attention of the developers. They are going to be waking up over there around now and they are going to be checking the boards. A big fat 5-page (so far) thread is going to be sticking out like a sore thumb. I can hear it now: "GOT IM HIMMEL! WAS IST DAS?!?"

- Bru

Last edited by Déjà Bru; 04-27-2014 at 11:47 PM.
Old 04-28-2014, 12:05 AM   #93
Honorable_Pawn
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
No problem. I do it all the time. Well not Budweiser, mine we'll call wacky tabacky. Either way I knew you just hadn't quite fully processed it. Happens to the best of us.
Many years with you...the job is the elephant in the room.
Old 04-28-2014, 12:09 AM   #94
megamanmatt
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Many years with you...the job is the elephant in the room.
I don't want to talk about jobs. I ended up going in to mine for two hours today because I felt I didn't do enough work yesterday.

Old 04-28-2014, 12:48 AM   #95
Bowtie
All Star Starter

Quote:
You're speaking before digesting.
Quote:
]Either way I knew you just hadn't quite fully processed it. Happens to the best of us.
Yeah, it happened to me on pg.4 of this thread. I'm not offended by what you said Matt. Uh oh. Please excuse me while I burp. Still trying to digest. Somebody please pass the Rolaids, lol.

Old 04-28-2014, 01:33 AM   #96
DreamTeams
Hall Of Famer

Hopefully, Markus will eventually return the ability to edit the text color. The work around I've decided to use is gray or white for the team colors. That way, on the field, the player boxes will be the home white and the road gray so they don't blend in and the text color is not that big a deal. The way it works is that I've created two identical logos for each team, one for home (white hex code) and one for road (gray hex code) and attach the colors to the logo. That way I can manually switch the logos out based on the home/away match-ups. Of course, I run a very small league and the extra work is quite doable, but wouldn't even suggest anyone with a larger league take this approach. Still, I've posted this idea here in case someone else could use it.

Here's a sample of what it looks like in-game...
Attached Images
Old 04-28-2014, 01:43 AM   #97
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
No. I just think it's a different issue than the rest of you. Actually I'd be willing to guess most of you think it's actually the same issue as me but are so focused on one thing you're not seeing the forest for the trees.
We are unhappy playing out games with teams whose players are colored identically on the field. It doesn't have to be that way. That's the issue.

Old 04-28-2014, 01:48 AM   #98
megamanmatt
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
We are unhappy playing out games with teams whose players are colored identically on the field. It doesn't have to be that way. That's the issue.
I agree. The issue isn't the fact team text is the same. I refuse to believe the only solution is how it was done in previous versions.

Old 04-28-2014, 03:01 AM   #99
StyxNCa
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

However that'll be the end of me bothering you folks in this thread. I've said my piece and made my feelings known. That's all I set out to do.
False statement.
Old 04-28-2014, 03:02 AM   #100
megamanmatt
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by StyxNCa View Post
False statement.

Yeah, well I'm known for that.

Last edited by megamanmatt; 04-28-2014 at 03:03 AM. Reason: To make the quote acurate.
Closed Thread