Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 15 > OOTP 15 - General Discussions

OOTP 15 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2014 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

View Poll Results: Do you want team color text boxes back?
Yes..It really adds to the immersion factor 120 76.92%
No...It really doesnt matter to me at all 32 20.51%
Undecided 4 2.56%
Voters: 156. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 04-27-2014, 11:43 AM   #21
Honorable_Pawn
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Questdog View Post
Well, I liked the colored team headers in OOTP 14, too, but if that's the reason not to buy the game, then you and I have very different lists of priorities for what makes a baseball sim better than the old version.

P.S. I NEVER thought I'd see the day when the LOOKS of a text sim would be the deciding factor on whether to purchase or not......
No, that's not my only reason. I have other reasons but I wanted to stick to the topic at hand.
Old 04-27-2014, 11:47 AM   #22
Sweed
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCG12 View Post
I posted about this in the first impressions thread and fighting the battle in beta here
http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...2-post248.html

Markus is pretty much set on this Im afraid
Your effort fighting this in beta is appreciated. I knew I read somewhere that Markus was stuck on this idea and I guess that's fine like I said not game breaking.

I just can't see why it wouldn't be possible to have it the old way (choice of color for both box and text) for on field boxes but have the default under team options set to either dark or light text dependent on the team box color. Users could then to go in and make the change to whatever color we wanted ourselves.
Old 04-27-2014, 12:59 PM   #23
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCG12 View Post
I posted about this in the first impressions thread and fighting the battle in beta here
http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...2-post248.html

Markus is pretty much set on this Im afraid
Then Markus is wrong. This diminishes the game and lessens the enjoyment of many of his customers.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
Old 04-27-2014, 01:00 PM   #24
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweed View Post
Your effort fighting this in beta is appreciated. I knew I read somewhere that Markus was stuck on this idea and I guess that's fine like I said not game breaking.

I just can't see why it wouldn't be possible to have it the old way (choice of color for both box and text) for on field boxes but have the default under team options set to either dark or light text dependent on the team box color. Users could then to go in and make the change to whatever color we wanted ourselves.
That's an excellent solution.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
Old 04-27-2014, 01:37 PM   #25
BCStone
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweed View Post
Player boxes and boxes on team menus are colored in my game too.

I think what the original poster is getting at is that the text in the colored boxes is now only black or white depending on the color of the box. In previous versions the Cubs would have red text in a blue box, the Mets orange text on in a blue box, Orioles orange text in a black box etc.

I read in another post, can't find right now, that the team specific text color was removed from the colored boxes to eliminate some boxes that were hard to read. Markus wanted to make all boxes "readable" by default and going with only white on dark or black on light colored boxes accomplishes that. Having the default boxes easily readable is reasonable. The trouble is Markus locked text in as either white or black and took away the option for the user to change it. So now my Cubs will always have white text on a blue box as I no longer have the option to make the text red. When I play the Dodgers, also white text on blue box, it takes a bit away from the "old" immersive flavor the game had with more team specific colors in the boxes. Not to mention it is hell of a lot of white and blue on the screen at one time and if I have the bases loaded it just doesn't look as good as it did before.

I think what the original poster is asking for is the return of the option to change the text color, as we had in previous versions, to match team colors we select. Its not a game breaker to me but I do support his request that we should be able to mod it as we see fit.
Yes, this is exactly what I was referring to. Thank you Sweed for explaining it much better than I. All I want is to be able to choose whatever color's I want for instance the Oakland A's, green background, yellow lettering. Why take it out of the game? shouldn't it be up us to use whatever color combinations we want within the game. To some it may seem like a very small thing but for someone who plays out every single game it's a big thing to me.
Old 04-27-2014, 02:08 PM   #26
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Let's push Marcus to make it selectable in a patch.

Old 04-27-2014, 02:11 PM   #27
Honorable_Pawn
Hall Of Famer

I believe the expression is: Throwing out the baby with the bath water.

Maybe I don't skip this version. I don't know. But right now I think I like the way 14 is set-up better. I wouldn't use 3-D or international league so no biggie there. I really would like to use those age limits though. But I stay on top of it weekly in my leagues and with a filter it is quick enough to retire older minor leaguers out.

Like Markus always says, "optional, optional, optional." I am very surprised by this take-away. Maybe they plan on selling DLC that lets us get the old UI back. I sure hope so, I would buy it.
Old 04-27-2014, 02:20 PM   #28
pmoehrin
Minors (Rookie Ball)

I don't really see a huge difference, but if I wanted to make all the team texts white I could do it on my own.

I don't see the need or reason to limit options.
Old 04-27-2014, 02:22 PM   #29
Honorable_Pawn
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmoehrin View Post
I don't really see a huge difference, but if I wanted to make all the team texts white I could do it on my own.

I don't see the need or reason to limit options.
Agree with your 2nd sentence. As far as it being a huge difference...well...78% of those responding to this poll want it back. That's a pretty large...uh...super majority.
Old 04-27-2014, 02:29 PM   #30
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

I now find that I pick the nickname for the team I'm going to follow based on them having a unique color scheme. That way I will always be able to tell them apart on the field. I'm really glad I'm not a MLB quickstart user. The Tigers, Yankees, Indians, Twins and Red Sox all might as well be the same team.
Old 04-27-2014, 02:42 PM   #31
craftdr
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Watts View Post
I now find that I pick the nickname for the team I'm going to follow based on them having a unique color scheme. That way I will always be able to tell them apart on the field. I'm really glad I'm not a MLB quickstart user. The Tigers, Yankees, Indians, Twins and Red Sox all might as well be the same team.
I also do this and if I can't find something appropriate I find myself changing the team colors to be unique even if it doesn't match the logo/uniform for that team just to avoid all players having the same color scheme when I play out the games.
Old 04-27-2014, 02:43 PM   #32
BCStone
Minors (Double A)

Marcus it seems has always made the effort to make many different aspects of the game optional. That has been one of the selling points of the game, "Play it your own way" is what I hear quite a bit from Marcus. Well I want to play it with the option to choose whatever color combinations I want. I want to play the game "My own way"!!!!
Old 04-27-2014, 02:43 PM   #33
pmoehrin
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honorable_Pawn View Post
Agree with your 2nd sentence. As far as it being a huge difference...well...78% of those responding to this poll want it back. That's a pretty large...uh...super majority.
I just look at it as a secondary concern.

I understand its the internet and a dissenting voice is always going to be louder and more strong minded then an approving voice. But like the one guy earlier who said I'm not going to buy the game because of this one change, that seems like a bit much.

I don't like it but I'm not going crazy over it either. I just didn't and don't see the reason to get rid of it.

Regarding the Tigers comment from above, I think its a decent point. I always made the Tigers secondary color orange just to differentiate them from the Yankees as well, where as now there's no difference between the two.

Last edited by pmoehrin; 04-27-2014 at 02:45 PM.
Old 04-27-2014, 02:46 PM   #34
Charlie Hough
Hall Of Famer

I am temporarily breaking my retirement from most of the forums to make this statement.

Let this be a lesson to OOTP Developments. During the beta process, I was among several testers who raised an immediate red flag when we saw that team colors and backgrounds were completely altered and that the game was re-skinned in favor of some bizarre notion that it should look like a sleek tech app.

I pushed back pretty hard, and a number of people expressed their concern and disappointment, but we were told on more than one occasion that OOTP Developments had already had extensive internal discussions about this and that the decision was made. There was no turning back, and they liked it personally. End of discussion.

On two different occasions, I asked why customers or beta testers weren't consulted about this in advance and why customer survey research was not conducted before making the decision. But, again, we were told that they had already discussed this internally and were not going to revisit it. They never directly answered my question, but they made it clear that this was purely an internal decision based on their own aesthetics.

That is not how such a visible design decision should be made, especially when it renders some of the color coding system obsolete, potentially renders logos obsolete or less effective with the skin, and has a major impact on user immersion. While you can't make design decisions by committee, you should at least do some cursory research to let you know whether customers will like it and whether you might inadvertently take something away that people really value.

The poll thus far reinforces what several of us felt and what we expected that the reaction would be. They could have easily informed their decision with a quick email poll or by using the forums. The result would probably have been quite clear. But that never happened, and I consider it to be a shocking disregard for the paying customers.

The change should not have been made or should have been set up as an option so that many users could still enjoy the visual immersion they get with OOTP 14. Maybe this poll will finally change their minds, but all of this could have been avoided when it was pointed out on the first day of the beta testing process, weeks before the game was released.
Old 04-27-2014, 02:48 PM   #35
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Exactly. And this is bad.

Old 04-27-2014, 02:50 PM   #36
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmoehrin View Post
I just look at it as a secondary concern.

I understand its the internet and a dissenting voice is always going to be louder and more strong minded then an approving voice. But like the one guy earlier who said I'm not going to buy the game because of this one change, that seems like a bit much.

I don't like it but I'm not going crazy over it either. I just didn't and don't see the reason to get rid of it.

Regarding the Tigers comment from above, I think its a decent point. I always made the Tigers secondary color orange just to differentiate them from the Yankees as well, where as now there's no difference between the two.
I agree. In no way is this a big enough issue to regret my purchase.
Old 04-27-2014, 03:10 PM   #37
Honorable_Pawn
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Hough View Post

But that never happened, and I consider it to be a shocking disregard for the paying customers.
This, alone, is more important to me than the actual skin.
Old 04-27-2014, 03:10 PM   #38
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
P.S. I NEVER thought I'd see the day when the LOOKS of a text sim would be the deciding factor on whether to purchase or not......
Yes, but this is true:
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
I'm upset about how about how every team now has on-field player colors of white text on the team color, whereas it always used to be team text color on team color. It makes for confusing games - the Red Sox and Yankees are now very hard to tell apart when you play a game out, for example.
And this is the best post so far:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCStone View Post
Yes, this is exactly what I was referring to. Thank you Sweed for explaining it much better than I. All I want is to be able to choose whatever color's I want for instance the Oakland A's, green background, yellow lettering. Why take it out of the game? shouldn't it be up us to use whatever color combinations we want within the game. To some it may seem like a very small thing but for someone who plays out every single game it's a big thing to me.

- Bru

Old 04-27-2014, 03:13 PM   #39
Honorable_Pawn
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I agree. In no way is this a big enough issue to regret my purchase.
Again, so I don't sound like it's the UI alone that has caused me pause, it is true that the UI is important to me but I do have other reasons. I don't want to sidetrack this thread with those reasons. This is one of several reasons and based upon the negative reaction from long-term users I am not alone.
Old 04-27-2014, 03:16 PM   #40
Honorable_Pawn
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Ok, I am going to elaborate for just a sec...funny that you mention LOOKS as 3-D is the primary selling feature in this release. Just saying. Don't get me wrong, I like you and I respect you but I see a lot of things with this version that is causing me alarm.
Closed Thread