Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 03-19-2019, 08:15 AM   #1
MightyVotto
Minors (Double A)

Injured List Real Transactions is Great

Thanks for making the historical transactions include injured list movements. I really like simulating past seasons using real transactions and lineups as a way of emulating baseball history. It was always a little annoying knowing a player was injured in real life but the AI would insert them as pinch hitters or relievers. I didn't think this type of solution was even possible.

One small thing I noticed, though, is if you have the GM-only owners set lineups box checked under settings, the AI doesn't put the players returned from IL on the active roster. Obviously, I realize I should just leave this box unchecked, but if it isn't supposed to work this way, thought I'd point it out.
MightyVotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 09:26 AM   #2
bradleycchurch
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyVotto View Post
Thanks for making the historical transactions include injured list movements. I really like simulating past seasons using real transactions and lineups as a way of emulating baseball history. It was always a little annoying knowing a player was injured in real life but the AI would insert them as pinch hitters or relievers. I didn't think this type of solution was even possible.

One small thing I noticed, though, is if you have the GM-only owners set lineups box checked under settings, the AI doesn't put the players returned from IL on the active roster. Obviously, I realize I should just leave this box unchecked, but if it isn't supposed to work this way, thought I'd point it out.

To use this new feature, do you turn on historical transactions and historical lineups or just historical transactions? And so I understand, basically, if a player got hurt on May 7th in real life and was out for 15 games, the game will also reflect that?
bradleycchurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 09:54 AM   #3
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleycchurch View Post
To use this new feature, do you turn on historical transactions and historical lineups or just historical transactions? And so I understand, basically, if a player got hurt on May 7th in real life and was out for 15 games, the game will also reflect that?
Yes. You just need to turn on historical transactions for this.
Markus Heinsohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 12:55 PM   #4
bradleycchurch
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Heinsohn View Post
Yes. You just need to turn on historical transactions for this.
Wow! That is awesome.
bradleycchurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 06:27 PM   #5
dodger300
Minors (Triple A)

Does it only work with historical transactions, or both historical transactions and historical lineups? Is there a box you check, or does it work automatically work?
dodger300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 06:41 PM   #6
pstrickert
Hall Of Famer

It works with both. Step 2 of the Historical League creation wizard includes options for historical lineups and historical transactions. Check both boxes.
pstrickert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 06:51 PM   #7
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pstrickert View Post
It works with both. Step 2 of the Historical League creation wizard includes options for historical lineups and historical transactions. Check both boxes.
Can you use roster limits with this new feature, or is required that everyone be active?
David Watts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 06:57 PM   #8
pstrickert
Hall Of Famer

Roster limits will be enabled by default. So, yes.
Old 03-19-2019, 07:00 PM   #9
swampdragon
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Am I seeing things with my 1901 replay, or has a lot been done with these early transactions? Everyone used to be available who belonged to the team. Not any more. I have 105 free agents, as well as a large group on the various injured lists. This is great.
“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies." -- C.S. Lewis
swampdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 08:52 PM   #10
pstrickert
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampdragon View Post
Am I seeing things with my 1901 replay, or has a lot been done with these early transactions? Everyone used to be available who belonged to the team. Not any more. I have 105 free agents, as well as a large group on the various injured lists. This is great.
I'm pretty sure there are no injuries listed in the transactions file for 1901. Data that far back is hard to come by. Do you have injuries enabled in your replay for some reason?
Old 03-19-2019, 08:54 PM   #11
pstrickert
Hall Of Famer

Wait a minute. My mistake. There are injuries for 1901 in the file.
Old 03-19-2019, 09:54 PM   #12
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Wait a minute. My mistake. There are injuries for 1901 in the file.
The trouble in terms of recreating things is that there was no disabled list back then.
Le Grande Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 10:03 PM   #13
pstrickert
Hall Of Famer

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/08/s...-baseball.html
Old 03-19-2019, 10:59 PM   #14
swampdragon
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Grande Orange View Post
The trouble in terms of recreating things is that there was no disabled list back then.
Or that the names on it have been lost forever. But if there is a blurb in the paper on April 24 that Player X has a sore arm, and he didn't pitch again until July 1, then a game using real life transactions can approximate that by putting him on the injured list between those dates.
“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies." -- C.S. Lewis
Old 03-22-2019, 09:41 AM   #15
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Got a couple of questions for those of you that like to use real transactions/real lineups.

1, Since this will use as played schedules, do you ever get strange finishes at the end of a season due to games that weren't made up in real life? For example, a team finishing 2nd, but the non replayed game if played could change that?

2. When you get to the post season, and the OOTP AI has to take over, do you like what you see or is does it appear the AI is managing a whole different team than the real manager did for the entire season?

I've always wanted to try this. In fact, I bought ActionPC Baseball to try it, but OOTP has ruined me for single season replays. With OOTP in the past, I simply couldn't get past the entire team being active. Then even when that changed, I still had trouble with a stud player being out of the lineup for a week, but the AI using him as a pinch hitter as soon as he's needed. The injury list deal should solve that.

I was planning to wait till the All Star break or maybe even the World Series to purchase 20, but once again something has been added that I'm simply to curious to see in action to wait. UGH!
David Watts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 03:03 PM   #16
MightyVotto
Minors (Double A)

I've never seen strange finishes when playing with rt/rl. It doesn't always calculate the magic number correctly, though, if you're playing a 154-game season or one in which they didn't make-up some games. I've always seen it send the right teams, though, to the postseason. I even mess with the postseason setup so that more than just two teams go each year.

The AI does take over in the postseason and will use different lineups than what was used all year by the historical manager. It doesn't bother me too much, though.

I've been playing rt/rl since they added this option back in 2012 or so. I enjoy taking over one team and controlling their lineups my way while facing the real lineups of history. It truly is amazing how much injuries and bad decisions related to players capabilities factor into the success of a season.
MightyVotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 06:06 PM   #17
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
The first disabled list, as in an official rule governing how injured players on the roster are handled and what effect that has on the active roster, was in the NL in 1915. It lasted into 1916, then the rule was scrapped. The next iteration of an official DL came in 1941.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampdragon View Post
Or that the names on it have been lost forever. But if there is a blurb in the paper on April 24 that Player X has a sore arm, and he didn't pitch again until July 1, then a game using real life transactions can approximate that by putting him on the injured list between those dates.
Except that a real-life club couldn't replace the injured player. It had to play with one less usable roster spot. That is the key point.

The way clubs back then dealt with a player who was expected to be out for a long time was to have him voluntarily retire. That freed up his active roster spot so another player could be brought in. A player on the voluntarily retired list had to be on that list for a minimum of 60 days, after which he could reapply for reinstatement. In effect, doing this was like having the 60-day DL. (Note that the DL implemented in 1941 essentially codified this unofficial practice into an official procedure, as the DL at that time required a minimum stay of 60 days.)

For injuries where the player was out for only a week or two, the club had to decide between releasing the player and bringing another player in as a replacement, or operating a man down for the duration.

These are key general managing decisions which the real GMs of the day had to contend. Utilizing modern-day rules retroactively means a significant roster management challenge is absent.

Last edited by Le Grande Orange; 03-22-2019 at 06:09 PM.
Old 03-22-2019, 06:12 PM   #18
Le Grande Orange
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Watts View Post
Got a couple of questions for those of you that like to use real transactions/real lineups.

1, Since this will use as played schedules, do you ever get strange finishes at the end of a season due to games that weren't made up in real life? For example, a team finishing 2nd, but the non replayed game if played could change that?
Yes, that is possible. More so for earlier seasons when club schedules were less likely to be played out in full. Note that prior to the early 1950s, there was no rule allowing a club to make up a postponed game after the scheduled end of the season, so winning or losing a pennant by a half-game was entirely possible (and which is what prompted the leagues to make a change).
Old 03-22-2019, 10:18 PM   #19
swampdragon
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Watts View Post

That happened in real life. The 1908 American League finish was Detroit 90-63, Cleveland 90-64.