Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > Perfect Team
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Perfect Team Discover the new amazing online league competition & card collecting mode of OOTP!

Old 02-03-2019, 03:47 PM   #1
Renfro
Minors (Double A)

Thoughts on How Difficult It Is to Get Promoted

I posted this on the Discord but I thought I'd post it here, too.

My 102-60 All-Defense team lost in the WC and will remain in Bronze for a 6th season. In the last three seasons, we've won 102, 97, and again 102 games. With only 2 teams moving up to Silver, I think there's a going to be a LOT of really good Bronze teams just dominating during the regular season. While it's fun to rack up the PP, it has to be disconcerting for those coming up from Entry Pool to see teams that have one or two Diamond players on their rosters.

Hell, my All-Defense team featured a team ERA of 2.49 with an opponent's batting average of .199 and a BABIP of .244. And that's BEFORE I bought Cy Young off the Auction House. Young has a 65 DEF and, more importantly, an 83 Hold Runners.

The good teams are going to get better and better, and better and better. Except for my division (of course), in my league (B329), the 1st place team won their division by 23, 14, 31, 18, and 14 games!

The bad teams are going to be forced to buy PP if they want to get better quickly.

At the same rate, the usual statements: "That's why we play the game" and "Anything can happen in any given game of series." And my team, which did feature one Diamond (Aaron Judge as the DH), and 3 Golds, did get beat by a team with only 2 Golds.

Any thoughts on this?
Renfro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 03:54 PM   #2
DonkeyKongSr
All Star Reserve

Yeah, I'm not sure why the advancement is so difficult on the lower levels. I just think it should be 4 up, 4 down across the board. If you can win a Divisional Series, you are good enough to move up.
DonkeyKongSr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 03:54 PM   #3
CrazyWR
All Star Reserve

So you take English soccer. Typically 20 team leagues, sometimes 24. 3 teams move up and down. This is 30 teams in a league. You should have at least 4 teams moving each direction I'd say. That makes it easy, each of the championship teams for each league.
CrazyWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 04:19 PM   #4
bobbycockstrong
Minors (Double A)

yeah 4 up 4 down seems like a good way to do it. Even still, its a bit harsh to win 100+ games and not go up. If you win 100 your team is probably ready to go up.

I won 126 games once and lost to WC team in divisional. rip
bobbycockstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 04:27 PM   #5
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

The bad bronze teams need to friend up and fill a league. That way two of them are sure to be promoted. Add two more bad teams... rinse and repeat.
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 04:28 PM   #6
zrog2000
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonkeyKongSr View Post
Yeah, I'm not sure why the advancement is so difficult on the lower levels. I just think it should be 4 up, 4 down across the board. If you can win a Divisional Series, you are good enough to move up.
Well, there are 6 division winners, but I do agree it should be easier to be promoted from the lower levels.
zrog2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 05:43 PM   #7
daves
Hall Of Famer

I am not against the spending, but there should be a point system valuing the 25 player roster when creating leagues at all levels. I have a Gold level team created on points earned only. Every season there are teams with high end diamond and perfect players that just dominate while they move up. There needs to be a competitive balance at all levels.

daves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 05:44 PM   #8
daves
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcin View Post
The bad bronze teams need to friend up and fill a league. That way two of them are sure to be promoted. Add two more bad teams... rinse and repeat.
I was thinking of forming a no diamond or perfect player Gold league to have a competitive balanced league.

daves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 08:16 PM   #9
JoeDec89
Bat Boy

This is my first season in bronze. I made it to the world series with this squad.
Attached Images
JoeDec89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 11:21 PM   #10
shockenawe
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by daves View Post
I am not against the spending, but there should be a point system valuing the 25 player roster when creating leagues at all levels. I have a Gold level team created on points earned only. Every season there are teams with high end diamond and perfect players that just dominate while they move up. There needs to be a competitive balance at all levels.
This has been discussed quite a bit in other threads, but you can make it to Perfect leagues without spending a dime. I've done it with 2 different teams, neither of which had a single diamond player before I reached perfect leagues.
shockenawe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 11:24 PM   #11
shockenawe
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renfro View Post

At the same rate, the usual statements: "That's why we play the game" and "Anything can happen in any given game of series." And my team, which did feature one Diamond (Aaron Judge as the DH), and 3 Golds, did get beat by a team with only 2 Golds.

Any thoughts on this?
Because you have to look beyond the ratings and rarity of the cards and examine their underlying ratings. For example, there are silver cards that are better than a lot of the 2018 Live diamond cards.
Old 02-03-2019, 11:32 PM   #12
eldur00
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by shockenawe View Post
This has been discussed quite a bit in other threads, but you can make it to Perfect leagues without spending a dime. I've done it with 2 different teams, neither of which had a single diamond player before I reached perfect leagues.

Did you climb the levels when they were literally promoting half the leagues up a level, or have you been doing it just the last couple weeks when only 2 teams at a time gets promoted?

Because that would make a whole lot of a difference.

I've been in Bronze since the beginning, which doesn't bother me. But I just had a 92 Win season where I finished 18 GB. Needless to say, the guy with the 110 win team got rid of me in 3 games, he with his team filled with gold players (except for 3 backups).

I think that pretty much sums up what the OP was trying to say. Sure, that guy is more than likely moving up. But, as it as been the case since the very beginning, another team filled with gold+ players will just take his place, and it's the Bronze level we are talking about. I'm probably seeded where I need to be (in the basement where I can't get any deeper), but was that guy where he was supposed to be ?

Again, I don't really care myself. But new players faced with that...I dunno how they feel about that.
eldur00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 11:41 PM   #13
shockenawe
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldur00 View Post
Did you climb the levels when they were literally promoting half the leagues up a level, or have you been doing it just the last couple weeks when only 2 teams at a time gets promoted?

Because that would make a whole lot of a difference.

I've been in Bronze since the beginning, which doesn't bother me. But I just had a 92 Win season where I finished 18 GB. Needless to say, the guy with the 110 win team got rid of me in 3 games, he with his team filled with gold players (except for 3 backups).

I think that pretty much sums up what the OP was trying to say. Sure, that guy is more than likely moving up. But, as it as been the case since the very beginning, another team filled with gold+ players will just take his place, and it's the Bronze level we are talking about. I'm probably seeded where I need to be (in the basement where I can't get any deeper), but was that guy where he was supposed to be ?

Again, I don't really care myself. But new players faced with that...I dunno how they feel about that.
I had one team climb the ranks early at launch when it was easier to get promoted and then another that did it recently when you had to make the diamond league finals to make perfect leagues.
Old 02-04-2019, 12:29 AM   #14
Echo127
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDec89 View Post
This is my first season in bronze. I made it to the world series with this squad.
That looks like a gold-caliber team to me.
Echo127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 12:38 AM   #15
joehart
All Star Starter

For anyone that starts now and does not get mass promoted (like many of us got promoted during the initial start of PT).....enjoy the lower league competition while you can. You may not get promoted but you get to enjoy winning seasons and good competition.

Many of the teams at the top level learn quickly that it is hard to compete against teams that spend a lot of PPs and have amazing rosters.

It becomes very difficult to make the playoffs and many teams hang in the balance.
Not good enough to make the playoffs and not bad enough to get related to a lower level. So as a result, they start to cheat and replace players with black and bronze cards. As a result, they risk getting banned, upset other teams, ...

I have two teams that are also stuck in the middle levels and I personally enjoy them more than the team that moved all the way to Perfect but is stuck while waiting for additional PP investments.

I suggest that you look for other teams in your league and build out your own competitions. I miss these early days when I was able to play a much larger set of players that just won't cut it anymore at the top level.
joehart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 12:43 AM   #16
Renfro
Minors (Double A)

Awesome. Most definitely know that OVR isn't the end all. Hell, I was on the Larry Dierker train early and even I was surprised that he outperformed 90 Clemens on my Diamond League team.

My team in Bronze that inspired the post is an experimental team that has an insane focus on defense. While we would love to take our experiments to the next level, like eldur00, I don't mind staying in Bronze.

Our pitching staff kept our opponent's BA to .199 and a BABIP of 2.49. I'm probably going to create a separate thread about that and the team in general.

[IMG][/IMG]
Renfro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 12:47 AM   #17
JoeDec89
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echo127 View Post
That looks like a gold-caliber team to me.
I hope to have a way better team than this by the time I get to gold. Also, I didn’t spend any real money. A lot of these guys you can get for cheap. I just read a lot of the forums & learned about the hidden gems.
JoeDec89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 06:22 AM   #18
freedavebrown
Minors (Double A)

I think the problem is that the bronze league is just the onramp for all the teams and so when you only promote two there is a pretty good chance that deserving teams get passed over because of whales coming up from the Entry Pool.

I think there are at least two solutions for this and im not sure which is better:

1) Sort some teams from the entry pool into higher leagues based on average overall ratings on their roster

2) Promote more teams out of bronze so that you dont consistently get screwed by entry pool whales
freedavebrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 07:49 AM   #19
mess
Minors (Triple A)

I always thought 4 teams got promoted out from Bronze and Silver but I checked the universe screen and was proven wrong.

That's way too tough to get out of Bronze.
Old 02-04-2019, 07:49 AM   #20
Maddox
All Star Reserve

According to the Universe screen 4 Bronze teams should move up to silver. I was moved up to Silver last week after being one of the final 4 teams.
Maddox is offline   Reply With Quote