Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > Perfect Team

Perfect Team Perfect Team 2.0 - The online revolution continues! Battle thousands of PT managers from all over the world and become a legend.

Old 12-24-2019, 12:42 PM   #21
dkgo
Hall Of Famer

there isnt much difference between bottom half perfect teams and top half diamond teams though

there is a huge difference between the top 1% perfect teams and the bottom 90% perfect teams. and the game lets you run a 4 starter rotation and 4 player bullpen of other elite starters with no downside so those whale teams can platoon every spot in the lineup
dkgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 01:04 PM   #22
joehart
All Star Starter

I agree that it would make sense to maybe always move the top teams in addition to the 4 top playoff teams.

In other words, make sure the teams that win the most games in the league are moved up. Some of them lose in rd1 (due to bad luck or because they deliberately want to stay in the lower levels).
This would help create movement and allow an increase in the number of teams that also move down.

But you also have to be careful that you don’t relegate too many. If you relegate too many, then the weekly shuffle becomes a decision maker.

Get shuffled into a division that is more competitive than others and you are destined for relegation. No fun knowing on Monday morning that you will be relegated no matter if you play or not.
We don‘t want to increase the number of managers that walk away and come back another week because the outcome of the week has already been determined.

joehart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 01:33 PM   #23
dkgo
Hall Of Famer

If there is incentive to stay out of relegation and you are fighting to stay out of the bottom 12 or 16 or whatever the number then that is a reason to pay attention each week. I don't think any team is guaranteed to be in the bottom half based on bad luck of the draw.

But the way it is now, if you are a medium team that gets stuck in a division with an ultra whale who is a lock to win 135 games then there is truly no reason to pay attention.
Old 12-24-2019, 02:37 PM   #24
joehart
All Star Starter

As it is today, a team can survive a shuffle with a much better team in the division.
However, if the number of relegated teams is higher, a division with much better teams (a whale, a manager that made drastic changes, a manager that has more time, a.s.o.) will increase the risk of relegation.

I assume the OP wants to increase overall enjoyment of the game by adjusting the # of wins by each team (shift from the top team to the rest of the league).

It would be interesting to know if there is indeed a higher level of participation in even/competitive leagues vs. leagues that contain an outlier.

What if we had a check-box for "play in highly competitive league" to allow any manager that wants a more competitive week to be moved into such a league for the upcoming week?
As it was stated, the difference between the very best and the next 50-150 teams is enough for those teams to not win.
Today, we have plenty of whales that can buy a trophy. I am not sure
if they would be able to do so if they faced the best of the best.

Are we removing their incentive to spend money? Will they be happy to never win a title and be stuck in the middle to lower level of the best of the best league?

Maybe we need a tournament setup that plays like a regular league but at a faster frequency.

Old 12-24-2019, 07:20 PM   #25
One Great Matrix
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkgo View Post
there isnt much difference between bottom half perfect teams and top half diamond teams though

there is a huge difference between the top 1% perfect teams and the bottom 90% perfect teams. and the game lets you run a 4 starter rotation and 4 player bullpen of other elite starters with no downside so those whale teams can platoon every spot in the lineup
Those teams that are winning 120+ games though? They are not going to win less than 100 in any 30-team league except for like the perfectest league maybe...even if you had randomness among 300 very very very solid teams they would win 110+ most seasons so … I mean, if you run the 2019 All Star team out there and you are crushing them, what really can be done? No offense meant really.

One Great Matrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2019, 07:48 PM   #26
mcdog512
Hall Of Famer

Location: Pack Robert Gibson; November 9, 1935 – October 2, 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by One Great Matrix View Post
Those teams that are winning 120+ games though? They are not going to win less than 100 in any 30-team league except for like the perfectest league maybe...even if you had randomness among 300 very very very solid teams they would win 110+ most seasons so … I mean, if you run the 2019 All Star team out there and you are crushing them, what really can be done? No offense meant really.

I'm still a huge fan of the concept of a champions league, think Euro football.

The winners of all perfect leagues get promoted to this league, and at the end of the season everyone but the winner gets relegated and all the new perfect team winners get promoted.

It forces the absolute best into one league. Of course you'll have the usual (insert swear word here) people who game it by pulling their starters in the playoffs but the devs could always fix that if they decide to.

mcdog512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 01:36 AM   #27
traveller79
Minors (Rookie Ball)

When your salary comes mainly from the profits derived from a few whales, you need feeder fish to keep the whales well fed. In perfect leagues, if you are not a whale, you are a feeder fish.

traveller79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 02:17 PM   #28
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

I often wonder what this forum would complain about if the game were completely free to play. Would they still demand a level where they did not have to compete against the best teams?
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 03:38 PM   #29
<Pion>
All Star Starter

First post in a league time as I grew disinterested in this game, but this thread feels as good as any to say it since it mentions there being too man 100 cards...

I'm in a minority probably, but I feel like nearly every change made to the game this season made things worse. I have no interest in the missions (as I don't want to lock up players to get a worthless bronze pack or something) and haven't even given tournaments a try as they didn't interest me. Hopefully others enjoy it. Then we have all the players added that made the top echelon heavy with players that frankly do not deserve a card that is on par with the historicals that are legends and hall of famers, many of which were given unbelievable cards before even playing an inning of major league ball. Some day we can look back on them as a great, but it seems way too early now.

That being said, I'll be back in when the new season/release comes out and hope that some of the original magic of the game is rekindled in me.
<Pion> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 05:28 PM   #30
dkgo
Hall Of Famer

The blatant power creep is ridiculous.

These team of the decade cards are just one last cash grab before this version of the game dies. It's falling into the trap of releasing more uber and super-uber cards for the few whales instead of creating content that will encourage everyone else to spend a little bit. I'm out.
Old 12-26-2019, 06:36 PM   #31
QuantaCondor
All Star Reserve

Quote:
The blatant power creep is ridiculous.

These team of the decade cards are just one last cash grab before this version of the game dies. It's falling into the trap of releasing more uber and super-uber cards for the few whales instead of creating content that will encourage everyone else to spend a little bit. I'm out.
This is... how every one of these games work. The power creep here is actually very shallow compared to other Ultimate team modes; for example, consider all the cards that are in the base game and are still endgame staples. I can only conclude that this is your first experience playing an Ultimate Team game.

F2P + restrictions. First F2P winner of PT21 Perfect League

F2P + restrictions. New team -> PT title in 8 weeks
QuantaCondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 01:40 AM   #32
dkgo
Hall Of Famer

I was hoping we could strive to be a little bit better than EA here, but I guess not
Old 12-27-2019, 02:13 AM   #33
QuantaCondor
All Star Reserve

Quote:
I was hoping we could strive to be a little bit better than EA here, but I guess not
It is much better than EA. There is a robust set of cards that are endgame quality that have existed since the first day. If anything, one criticism is that *too many* of these cards existed since the first day, hence the complaints about guys like Wheat being one of the best cards in the game. I mean, a substantial fraction of endgame playables-- 100 Cy, 100 Walt, 100 Cobb, 100 Bonds, 100 Ruth, 100 Maddux, Eppa, Hoyt, Connor, Brouthers, 99 Collins, Cochrane, 100/99 Brett, 100 Boggs, the Arkys, DiMaggio, 100 Ted Williams, and I could keep going-- existed since the first day. Can you name any EA game for which such a large fraction of endgame playable cards existed on day 1?

Alternatively, step back and put your game designer hat on. What is a compelling strategy for continued player engagement that you would choose that is different from the existing one used by the OOTP devteam?

And to further follow up on a comment of yours: Do you think that the last real big content drop of the game, the TOTD set, should be an average set of content? Or do you think that the last cards released should be among the best? Which do you think is positive for player engagement? Or to put it in more specific terms: Let's say TOTD cards were not on the level of endgame playables. To be clear, they're not uniformly the best cards in the game, but they're definitely competitive especially vL. But let's say that most of these were NOT endgame playables. Do you think the community reception to that content would be positive or negative? Which do you think your playerbase would enjoy more?

EDIT: Even just probing a little further, the EA comparison gets more ridiculous. One of the main criticisms about EA's predatory microtransaction model is that F2P currency gains/accessibility come very slowly and with much effort, which might frustrate players into paying. PT gives players a significant, constant stream of effortless passive income as well as a substantial source of active income via collections, or now tournaments, or both. Further, F2P teams aren't competitive in EA models, which goads any serious player into feeling like they have to spend to be able to play the game right. That is clearly not true of PT either, given how many FTP teams regularly win titles. If you're going to criticize game design, it helps to be nuanced and think beyond that very surface level.

Last edited by QuantaCondor; 12-27-2019 at 02:43 AM.
Old 12-27-2019, 07:18 AM   #34
Lemandria
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcin View Post
I often wonder what this forum would complain about if the game were completely free to play. Would they still demand a level where they did not have to compete against the best teams?

Bolded what's actually missing from PeL. Whales paid an exceptional amount of money to avoid competing, to fast-forward past it. They want to win 130 every season, and they want to shoot for the lifetime WinP trophy.

Which is why this idea isn't particularly popular with them. Actual competition? No wai, you're minimizing my investment.

Last edited by Lemandria; 12-27-2019 at 07:22 AM.
Lemandria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 07:31 AM   #35
QuantaCondor
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemandria View Post
Bolded what's actually missing from PeL. Whales paid an exceptional amount of money to avoid competing, to fast-forward past it. They want to win 130 every season, and they want to shoot for the lifetime WinP trophy.

Which is why this idea isn't particularly popular with them. Actual competition? No wai, you're minimizing my investment.
You are aware that most of the current top whales are on a friends list competing with one another, right? And that the monthly whale invitational is pretty popular among that community?

Old 12-27-2019, 08:06 AM   #36
Lemandria
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantaCondor View Post
You are aware that most of the current top whales are on a friends list competing with one another, right? And that the monthly whale invitational is pretty popular among that community?
I do hope they have all 30 teams locked down. Because it's .200 winps for fresh-from-diamond promotions who stumble in randomly, yes? What you're saying is that they've already created the self-contained whaleverse.

:glance at thread title:

Why so many objections, then? We all agree!

Last edited by Lemandria; 12-27-2019 at 08:11 AM.
Lemandria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 10:09 AM   #37
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemandria View Post

You miss the point entirely. Whales don't want to avoid competition. They invest heavily in order to compete with the other whales. I would like a league where the best team(s) have 100-110 wins. In order to get there, we need more good teams at perfect level, or fewer perfect leagues.

My point is that someone in that league, in fact several teams, will have 60-70 wins. Someone will lose, no matter how balanced the league is. What will those team owners say? Will they rejoice in the great competition and eagerly anticipate next week? Or will they whine incessantly about the teams that are ahead of them and how much money they spent and how unfair and unbalanced the game is? I think it is the latter, which is why the idea won't solve the problem.
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2019, 10:16 AM   #38
dkgo
Hall Of Famer

It depends on if you have a 60 win season but there are choices you can make to get better (choices that aren't just "buy perfect Cy Young"), or if you are going to be stuck at 60 wins forever.
Old 12-27-2019, 10:23 AM   #39
dkgo
Hall Of Famer

To me the fun comes from making decisions then seeing the impact of those decisions. In a whale league, does perfect Boudreau or Ozzie fit your team build better? Do you value a 128 stuff starter like Gooden/Waddell or a balanced starter like Walsh?

But when there are perfect league teams with lineups still playing cards like live Trevor Story at shortstop, neither team is making decisions that matter.
Old 12-27-2019, 10:39 AM   #40
joehart
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcin View Post
You miss the point entirely. Whales don't want to avoid competition. They invest heavily in order to compete with the other whales.

I am not sure about this. I think you have a combination of both. People that get bored and want to compete against the best (because they know they are the best and will still win) and people that don’t want to compete against the best and look for other ways to make their life easier (have a funded team) and enjoy the game (player records, win records, beating lesser opponents
...).
Also, I have a strong feeling that a league of the best of the best will also separate itself and a few will win more often while others won’t ever win, hence they will soon get bored and walk away.
This is why I suggested a check-mark that moves people based on their decision rather than a forced one.