Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 17 > OOTP 17 - General Discussions

OOTP 17 - General Discussions Everything about the latest Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 06-04-2016, 08:26 PM   #241
Lockdog
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUColonel View Post
rather than a stuff rating, actual scouts grade each individually...but stuff is the culmination of the quality of those pitches.
Real-life scouts also describe the quality of each pitch in words, which does not happen in OOTP.
Lockdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 09:11 PM   #242
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockdog View Post
Real-life scouts also describe the quality of each pitch in words, which does not happen in OOTP.
yes, true
PSUColonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 10:14 PM   #243
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bababui View Post
Don't let him get to you. It's the Aspergers talking.
Sorry, I'm not one of them. But do violate the forum rules yet again with another attempted insult. Fail better. Because lately you've been really pathetic in your attempts.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 10:21 PM   #244
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeters1734 View Post
scouting reports have ratings on it though.Real GM's see ratings as in numbers. To take something away that a real GM sees and call it more realistic is laughable.
What's laughable is your ridiculous belief that GM's have the ability to somehow look into an editor and see accurate current and real player potentials.

Quote:
Look, we all have our favorite way to play. But I'm really getting sick and tired of certain members berating and belittling others, only because they don't agree with their way of playing. Play how you want, but stop saying it's more realistic because it's not.
It's more realistic. You're utterly wrong.

And, as I have said over and over again, stats-only is not for everyone. If you don't like it, don't play it. But don't go around as you have been attacking it and those who do play it. Isn't there a cat you can kick somewhere instead of bothering us? Your nonsense got old years ago. You're sick of us and we're sick of you, so please leave us in peace.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
Old 06-04-2016, 10:25 PM   #245
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
That's an analogy that must come from someone who think the members of the military are mindless drones. The truth is, every rating in xcom directly ties into what is actually known about a soldier. how well does he shoot? how fast can he run? how durable is he? what is his state of mind? A good military leader knows everything about their soldiers in order to keep them alive. nice try though.
That's wasn't what he was saying at all and your interpretation is really amusing. You took what he wrote and tried to make it into something completely different. I get it: you absolutely hate uncertainty and must know everything, all the time.

Now I feel sorry for you. Now wonder you hate stats-only, it takes away your perfect knowledge of players and forces you to deal with uncertainty like a real GM has to. Your animosity finally makes sense.

Last edited by The Wolf; 06-04-2016 at 10:26 PM.
Old 06-04-2016, 10:55 PM   #246
Lockdog
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRed75 View Post
Lack of support from whom? If it's lack of support from fellow players, there is always going to be one mode of play that is more popular than another.

If it's lack of support from the company, they have a varied customer base. I can see why they would want to appear agnostic on the issue.
Improving on the scouting model would be beneficial for everyone.
Lockdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 10:42 AM   #247
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockdog View Post
Improving on the scouting model would be beneficial for everyone.
That's a great and long-overdue idea.

Old 06-05-2016, 02:57 PM   #248
jpeters1734
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
What's laughable is your ridiculous belief that GM's have the ability to somehow look into an editor and see accurate current and real player potentials.

It's more realistic. You're utterly wrong.

And, as I have said over and over again, stats-only is not for everyone. If you don't like it, don't play it. But don't go around as you have been attacking it and those who do play it. Isn't there a cat you can kick somewhere instead of bothering us? Your nonsense got old years ago. You're sick of us and we're sick of you, so please leave us in peace.
Who's saying anything about looking at ratings in the editor? you can do this no matter how you play, lol.

You're the only one attacking people here, wolf, and everyone knows it.

Quote:
That's wasn't what he was saying at all and your interpretation is really amusing. You took what he wrote and tried to make it into something completely different. I get it: you absolutely hate uncertainty and must know everything, all the time.

Now I feel sorry for you. Now wonder you hate stats-only, it takes away your perfect knowledge of players and forces you to deal with uncertainty like a real GM has to. Your animosity finally makes sense.
you really are a hateful guy aren't you? you can't handle disagreement. Regarding ratings in xcom, I stand by what I said. There's a lot more known about a person than you'd like to think.

I actually don't hate stats only, I even tried it using your settings. There were flaws I found that when I asked about, I got no response. So I went back to my very low ratings. What I don't like is your demeanor towards people that don't worship you.

Founder and League Caretaker of the Professional Baseball Circuit, www.probaseballcircuit.com

An Un-Official Guide to Minor League Management in OOTP 21

Ratings Scale Conversion Cross-Reference Cheat Sheet
jpeters1734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 03:00 PM   #249
Spanish Lefty
Minors (Single A)

I didn't want to write again in this thread because it's the same old story: someone disrespecting others for playing with numbers. Really sad.

Anyway...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bub13 View Post
Going back to this: I'm in the middle of my current season; will changing these factors now alter anything? Should I wait until the off-season? Or maybe any mid-season changes won't take effect until the off-season? Never played around with these settings before but wanting to take the chance, since I'm frustrated with the same things happening w/ 32-33 year olds all dropping off the cliff.
I think those changes happen gradually, so if you change them mid-season, it won't alter the ratings immediately. Go ahead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by catcherjul View Post
Hey! Did The Wolf finally tested those settings too? I rely a lot on this guy since he is one of the most experience player in this forum!

Thanks a lot Spanish Lefty for those settings
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpollex View Post
I too am curious about this. That is if Wolf tested Spanish Lefty's settings?
I tested those numbers in more simulations and they work perfect comparing them with real life players from the last 10-15 years and when they get promoted to the show, the oldest players and the performance of +35y/o players.

Quote:
Originally Posted by catcherjul View Post
Also have a question to everyone : Does TCR affects more younger/prospect players or it affects everyone equally?
In my experience, it affects more younger players, under 25 mainly. Then you get some players which start performing very well from 27-29, the "Donaldsons" and "Bautistas".

So, for me, the best way to play right now is this. It's challenging, difficult and one of the most realistic approaches:

Quote:
- Scouting report updates: season start and end. (forces you to request a scouting report if it's trading deadline, for instance)
- Scouting accuracy: very low (varies a lot for prospects, not so much for veterans)
- Player actual ratings: none
- Player potential ratings 2 to 8 (be careful with youngsters)
- Other player ratings: 2 to 8
- Overall and potential rating: none displayed (makes a huge difference in difficulty)

- Injury frequency: high (realistic modern day)
- Batter and pitcher aging speed: .300
- Batter and pitcher dev speed: 1.350
- Talent Randomness: 170 (160-180)

- Trading difficulty: very hard
- Preference: Heavily favor prospects
- AI Settings: 25 / 50 / 20 / 5

Just for fun, every year, when the World Series ends, I go to the financial tab under "league settings" and multiply every cell by x1.03 to x1.05. Sometimes x1.02... others I leave it the same. Because, you know, inflation. I like to see how contracts are every year a bit higher, like in real life.
If anyone wants to play another way, I won't disrespect it

Last edited by Spanish Lefty; 06-05-2016 at 03:09 PM.
Spanish Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 04:22 PM   #250
jpeters1734
Hall Of Famer

you know, at a quick sim through, i kind of like your dev and aging speeds. in most of my sims at default, 3000 hits happens once in 20 years. most ROY are 24-25 year olds. How many sims have you ran to test this?

Founder and League Caretaker of the Professional Baseball Circuit, www.probaseballcircuit.com

An Un-Official Guide to Minor League Management in OOTP 21

Ratings Scale Conversion Cross-Reference Cheat Sheet
jpeters1734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 05:53 PM   #251
Spanish Lefty
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
you know, at a quick sim through, i kind of like your dev and aging speeds. in most of my sims at default, 3000 hits happens once in 20 years. most ROY are 24-25 year olds. How many sims have you ran to test this?
6 times. I kept 3 saves.

New +3000 hit players

Simulation 1 (up to 2031):
- Miguel Cabrera: 3.494
- Jose Altuve: 3.484
- Adrian Beltre: 3.154
Simulation 2 (up to 2037):
- Miguel Cabrera: 3.529
- Adrian Beltre: 3.059
- Manny Machado: 3.044
- Albert Pujols: 3.026

Simulation 3 (up to 2060):
- Brad Manning: 3.539
- Miguel Cabrera: 3.532
- Manny Machado: 3.275
- Prince Fielder: 3.218
- Adrian Beltre: 3.193
- Brad Failla: 3.166
- Ryan McMahon: 3.081

New +500 HR Players

Sim 1 (up to 2031):
- Bryce Harper: 645
- Giancarlo Stanton: 584
- Miguel Cabrera: 554
- Miguel Sano: 552
- Chris Davis: 535
- Prince Fielder: 511
- Mike Trout: 500

Sim 2 (up to 2037):
- Giancarlo Stanton: 618
- Thomas Johns: 607
- Joey Gallo: 601
- Miguel Cabrera: 595
- A.J. Reed: 543
- Kris Bryant: 536

Sim 3 (up to 2060):
- Matt Thaiss: 586
- Prince Fielder: 580
- Miguel Cabrera: 567
- Tony Palomera: 545
- Rafael Devers: 543
- Richard Urena: 536
- Brad Failla: 533
Old 06-05-2016, 07:43 PM   #252
jbergey22
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Agree! His settings make for a more fun long term simulation. Players are capable of playing past the age of 32 without sucking and being sent back to the minors.
jbergey22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 07:49 PM   #253
jbergey22
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

If you play with scouting set to very low it does not give you "perfect knowledge of players." Stats only is fine. I would love it other than trying to figure out how to call up players from the minors and the draft.

A real life gm has things they can go off. 40 times, throws to 2nd, pitchers release speed, bat speed, velocity off the bat, etc. We need some of this information to be able to manage a team. Unfortunately the game doesnt give us this information so we use very poor scouting to try to mimic this.
Old 06-05-2016, 07:51 PM   #254
Spanish Lefty
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbergey22 View Post
Agree! His settings make for a more fun long term simulation. Players are capable of playing past the age of 32 without sucking and being sent back to the minors.
You get different situations:

- +30y/o players which start performing badly (usually retire early... 34-36)

- Others who still perform at a high level but are injury prone up to a "wrecked" status, where they can only play 100 games max per season (end up retiring 36-39)

- Injury prone players which also start to perform below their 20s level and end up retiring before36-37

- Players which stay in a normal-fragile injury status and perform well and are able to last until 38-41 years old.

- Supermans which perform at a +4 war level without injuries and are over 40. In one of the simulations, Goldschimdt is 42 and in this situation. I remember Mike Trout retiring at 44 in one simulation with respectable numbers up until 42.
Old 06-05-2016, 08:03 PM   #255
jbergey22
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanish Lefty View Post
You get different situations:

- +30y/o players which start performing badly (usually retire early... 34-36)

- Others who still perform at a high level but are injury prone up to a "wrecked" status, where they can only play 100 games max per season (end up retiring 36-39)

- Injury prone players which also start to perform below their 20s level and end up retiring before36-37

- Players which stay in a normal-fragile injury status and perform well and are able to last until 38-41 years old.

- Supermans which perform at a +4 war level without injuries and are over 40. In one of the simulations, Goldschimdt is 42 and in this situation. I remember Mike Trout retiring at 44 in one simulation with respectable numbers up until 42.
The only minor thing with your numbers that I might tweek is the AI settings. I am always able to re-sign my players to cheap deals early in the season if I have the current years weight to high. I tend to leave the prior season higher for that reason. Its feel like a cheat to me when I can re-sign players starting the season slow to 4 year deals for half their market price.
Old 06-05-2016, 08:53 PM   #256
RubeBaker
All Star Reserve

One of the mantras here is "it's your game, play it your way". I appreciate everyone on here being willing to make suggestions and recommendations for settings. I tried "stats only" using MLB and all I can say is that it's not for me, but if you or someone else like it, that's cool. It probably does work better for a fictional league, but I'm not interested in fictional leagues at this point.
RubeBaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 10:50 PM   #257
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubeBaker View Post
One of the mantras here is "it's your game, play it your way". I appreciate everyone on here being willing to make suggestions and recommendations for settings. I tried "stats only" using MLB and all I can say is that it's not for me, but if you or someone else like it, that's cool. It probably does work better for a fictional league, but I'm not interested in fictional leagues at this point.
It only works with fictional leagues. Otherwise residual player knowledge and expectations mess everything up.

Old 06-05-2016, 11:02 PM   #258
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
You're the only one attacking people here, wolf, and everyone knows it.
Wow, the Big Lie. You yourself have attacked me personally repeatedly, even in the post I'm quoting. Read it again

Quote:
I actually don't hate stats only
I'm sorry, given the vitriol you continue to hurl at stats only and me that statement is simply unbelievable. If you did not hate it you would not attack stats only every time it comes up. But you always do.

Bad news: I truly don't care what you think or how you play. But, if by some freakish chance, you were being honest, then don't attack stats-only again.

Old 06-06-2016, 01:23 AM   #259
RubeBaker
All Star Reserve

Quote:
It only works with fictional leagues. Otherwise residual player knowledge and expectations mess everything up.
True that. Well I really appreciate your expertise and recommendations in this realm, Wolf. We can agree to disagree on some aspects of stats only, but I really appreciate your input as well as others who have been posting here for a long time, much longer than I have.
RubeBaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 12:04 AM   #260
Cod
All Star Reserve

Spanish Lefty, I'm starting a US Baseball League game with your settings. I wanted to try it using players I have zero clue about and USBL was an easy go to since its a default quick-start. I'll let everyone know how it plays out in a few weeks...
Cod is offline   Reply With Quote