Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP Update 20.6 - OOTP 20 Available - FHM 6 Available

FHM 6 Available Now!

  

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > Talk Sports

Talk Sports Discuss everything that is sports-related, like MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, MLS, NASCAR, NCAA sports and teams, trades, coaches, bad calls etc.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2019, 01:57 PM   #281
Westheim
Hall Of Famer
 
Westheim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Germany
Posts: 6,585
Thanks: 2,292
Thanked 4,691x in 2,688 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by low View Post
If there's one thing I cannot stand in sports, it's professional athletes making millions of dollars who don't hustle.
Oh you just wait for the Generation Fortnite to enter the game. You ain't seen nothing yet in terms of posing.

I just watched the game from the archives and I think my reactions were "****ing punk" on the first one and on the second then "dumb ****", dinger be damned ...
__________________
Portland Raccoons, 56 years of excell-.... of baseball: Furballs here!
1983 * 1989 * 1991 * 1992 * 1993 * 1995 * 1996 * 2010 * 2017 * 2018 * 2019 * 2026 * 2028
1 OSANAI
: 2 POWELL : 8 REECE : 10 BROWN : 15 HALL : 28 CASAS : 32 WEST : 39 TONER : 46 SAITO

Resident Mets Cynic



Westheim is online now   Reply With Quote
Thank you for this post:
Magus978 (10-05-2019)
Old 10-04-2019, 02:24 PM   #282
CBeisbol
Minors (Double A)
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 104
Thanks: 70
Thanked 42x in 25 posts
Seems like a lot of people think a hustle single is better than a lazy single that should have been a double.

I'll take 9 guys as talented as Acuña who don't hustle over 9 guys less talented than Acuña who do any day.

Also, Acuña should have hustled
CBeisbol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 10:50 PM   #283
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer
 
Cobra Mgr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Parts unknown
Posts: 3,062
Thanks: 316
Thanked 531x in 401 posts
Look at that. Kershaw is getting beat again in the postseason.
__________________
If a man is guilty
4 what goes on inside of his mind,
then let me get the electric chair
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Cobra Mgr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 10:18 AM   #284
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer
 
Cobra Mgr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Parts unknown
Posts: 3,062
Thanks: 316
Thanked 531x in 401 posts
I just can't take all these calls to the bullpen.
__________________
If a man is guilty
4 what goes on inside of his mind,
then let me get the electric chair
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Cobra Mgr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 06:39 PM   #285
Hrycaj
All Star Reserve
 
Hrycaj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 645
Thanks: 233
Thanked 183x in 126 posts
That almost turned into a Terry Collins/Matt Harvey situation. Andrew Miller came up huge. What a great pitching performance by Waino and Soroka.
__________________
Click on my signature to read "A Baseball Story". A fictional dynasty report about the great game of baseball.

Hrycaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 05:36 PM   #286
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer
 
Bluenoser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Dartmouth, NS
Posts: 11,534
Thanks: 1,197
Thanked 3,596x in 2,176 posts
Cards score 10 runs in the 1st - post season record. Incredible.
__________________
"I don't think a manager should be judged by whether he wins the pennant, but by whether he gets the most out of the twenty-five men he's been given." Chuck Tanner
Bluenoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 05:50 PM   #287
stl jason
Hall Of Famer
 
stl jason's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 2,051
Thanks: 1,012
Thanked 1,519x in 973 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenoser View Post
Cards score 10 runs in the 1st - post season record. Incredible.

on just 5 hits... crazy
stl jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 06:00 PM   #288
monkeyman576
All Star Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,023
Thanks: 6
Thanked 72x in 61 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stl jason View Post
on just 5 hits... crazy
With the Dodgers sputtering, are the Cardinals NL favorites against the Dodgers or Nationals?
monkeyman576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 06:57 PM   #289
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer
 
Cobra Mgr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Parts unknown
Posts: 3,062
Thanks: 316
Thanked 531x in 401 posts
My "nightmare" WS is NYY vs StL
__________________
If a man is guilty
4 what goes on inside of his mind,
then let me get the electric chair
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Cobra Mgr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 08:22 PM   #290
low
Hall Of Famer
 
low's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Wisconsin, USA
Posts: 3,185
Thanks: 1,013
Thanked 9,249x in 2,862 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra Mgr View Post
My "nightmare" WS is NYY vs StL
Same. I won't watch a single inning of that garbage.

It's a shame Atlanta blew it.
low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 11:35 PM   #291
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer
 
Cobra Mgr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Parts unknown
Posts: 3,062
Thanks: 316
Thanked 531x in 401 posts
The "magic" of Kershaw in the postseason.
__________________
If a man is guilty
4 what goes on inside of his mind,
then let me get the electric chair
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Cobra Mgr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 12:23 AM   #292
low
Hall Of Famer
 
low's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Wisconsin, USA
Posts: 3,185
Thanks: 1,013
Thanked 9,249x in 2,862 posts
How does a guy, who is going to walk into the HoF, blow so much in the postseason? I can't figure this one out.
low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 01:46 AM   #293
thehef
All Star Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,664
Thanks: 818
Thanked 477x in 304 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by low View Post
How does a guy, who is going to walk into the HoF, blow so much in the postseason? I can't figure this one out.
And it's not like he flat-out enters a game and chokes. He's had some brilliant post-season moments. Also had games where he was dominant for several innings and then boom. Or like tonight when he entered in the 7th and struck out Easton on three pitches. He clearly wasn't choking at that point in the game... It's like he's cursed. Very strange.

Last edited by thehef; 10-10-2019 at 01:49 AM. Reason: clarity
thehef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 03:14 AM   #294
thehef
All Star Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,664
Thanks: 818
Thanked 477x in 304 posts
My post-mortem on the Dodgers...

Time to face facts. The Dodgers are the best organization in baseball, top to bottom. But they are built for regular-season success. They are extremely deep everywhere and can plug in 30-35 good players any time, anywhere, which nobody else can do, and which helps amass 100+ wins over a long season. Having the best 30-35 players in the regular season is great. But having the best five or six players is what translates to postseason success.

In a year or two or three, some of the Dodgers' youngsters may develop into unstoppable forces who can be counted on not just for solid production over the long-haul of a regular season, but for stepping up big in the postseason. It could be argued that Buhler is already there. But nobody else is, yet.

Another way of looking at it is that the Dodgers as constructed include about 12-15 of the best hitters in baseball for the 6th, 7th and 8th spot in your order. Sure, in another contender's lineup, Bellinger would hit higher up, and so might Turner... You can win a lot of games with that many better-than-average hitters. But 12-15 off those guys fitting into 6 or 7 lineup spots in a short series is whole different ballgame. Literally... Similarly, in Bueller they have a borderline (and certainly future) ace. And Ryu was very ace-like much of the season. But while Kershaw (at this stage of his career), Maeda (when in his usual starting role), rookie Gonsolin, and Hill (when healthy) can help you amass lots of regular season wins, they are a collection of #4 starters who make you hold your breath if starting a playoff game. And as good as they are, Bueller (not yet) and Ryu (not quite) are not at the level of "ace-ness" where you would say, "we can ride these two guys to the title" (ala Johnson & Schilling in 2001).

That all said, unlike the last few years when I would’ve fired Roberts because of his idiotic, over-analytics-based decisions, this year I don’t quibble as much with his decisions. I fire him for the Dodgers’ lack of playoff preparedness; lack of playoff fire. The Nationals played like they had nothing to lose and everything to win. The Dodgers of course had pressure on them to not just return to, but win, the World Series. It’s Roberts’ job to have his team in the right frame of mind for that journey. Clearly, he didn’t.

Bottom line: The team is not constructed for, nor is its manager equipped to lead it to, postseason success.

All of the above is why, as a Dodger fan, I'm disappointed with the loss to the Nationals, but not devastated. I was not expecting a World Series victory this season, because the team was simply not good enough. Coming up short - maybe not quite this short - was expected. Unlike 2017, when the World Series was theirs to take, and they (primarily Roberts) let it slip away. That was devastating.
thehef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 05:36 AM   #295
Hrycaj
All Star Reserve
 
Hrycaj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 645
Thanks: 233
Thanked 183x in 126 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehef View Post
My post-mortem on the Dodgers...

Time to face facts. The Dodgers are the best organization in baseball, top to bottom. But they are built for regular-season success. They are extremely deep everywhere and can plug in 30-35 good players any time, anywhere, which nobody else can do, and which helps amass 100+ wins over a long season. Having the best 30-35 players in the regular season is great. But having the best five or six players is what translates to postseason success.

In a year or two or three, some of the Dodgers' youngsters may develop into unstoppable forces who can be counted on not just for solid production over the long-haul of a regular season, but for stepping up big in the postseason. It could be argued that Buhler is already there. But nobody else is, yet.

Another way of looking at it is that the Dodgers as constructed include about 12-15 of the best hitters in baseball for the 6th, 7th and 8th spot in your order. Sure, in another contender's lineup, Bellinger would hit higher up, and so might Turner... You can win a lot of games with that many better-than-average hitters. But 12-15 off those guys fitting into 6 or 7 lineup spots in a short series is whole different ballgame. Literally... Similarly, in Bueller they have a borderline (and certainly future) ace. And Ryu was very ace-like much of the season. But while Kershaw (at this stage of his career), Maeda (when in his usual starting role), rookie Gonsolin, and Hill (when healthy) can help you amass lots of regular season wins, they are a collection of #4 starters who make you hold your breath if starting a playoff game. And as good as they are, Bueller (not yet) and Ryu (not quite) are not at the level of "ace-ness" where you would say, "we can ride these two guys to the title" (ala Johnson & Schilling in 2001).

That all said, unlike the last few years when I would’ve fired Roberts because of his idiotic, over-analytics-based decisions, this year I don’t quibble as much with his decisions. I fire him for the Dodgers’ lack of playoff preparedness; lack of playoff fire. The Nationals played like they had nothing to lose and everything to win. The Dodgers of course had pressure on them to not just return to, but win, the World Series. It’s Roberts’ job to have his team in the right frame of mind for that journey. Clearly, he didn’t.

Bottom line: The team is not constructed for, nor is its manager equipped to lead it to, postseason success.

All of the above is why, as a Dodger fan, I'm disappointed with the loss to the Nationals, but not devastated. I was not expecting a World Series victory this season, because the team was simply not good enough. Coming up short - maybe not quite this short - was expected. Unlike 2017, when the World Series was theirs to take, and they (primarily Roberts) let it slip away. That was devastating.
I understand where you are coming from as a fan of a particular team. In that passionate position I think we at times are super ctitical of our own teams. The Dodgers are really good. Not just regular season good, which I'm not even sure if I can get behind that term, but I'm not posting to bash you at all. Everything you have said could have been said about the Nats if they lost this series. Historically speaking, the Nats have been that snake bitten team in the postseason. To a lesser extent because they have won a title the same thing could be said about the Astros if Tampa pulls it out tonight. The Yankees are surely feeling that same pressure. With teams openly tanking to follow a blueprint of whatever team you want to credit with starting this trend (Houston, Chicago, someone else) you really have like 6 super teams, 4-5 pretty decent teams, and a lot of junk. So win totals get inflated, home run numbers go through the roof (with the help of juiced balls) but in the end you don't learn a ton until they go up against another super team. The Dodgers are one of those super teams. However, the Nats are a super team as well. The playoffs are a real small sample size as ootp people love to toss out to protect the integrity of this product we all love. Well same here, anything can and will happen. I feel for you brother, I went through it with the Tigers, how could they not win a title just once with their rosters during their window of opportunity? Worst thing LA could do is blow the whole thing up, because you could probably be right there again next season with a different outcome.
__________________
Click on my signature to read "A Baseball Story". A fictional dynasty report about the great game of baseball.


Last edited by Hrycaj; 10-10-2019 at 05:38 AM.
Hrycaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Thank you for this post:
CBeisbol (10-10-2019)
Old 10-10-2019, 06:47 AM   #296
Reed
All Star Reserve
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 930
Thanks: 128
Thanked 332x in 235 posts
Small sample size. All these teams in the playoffs are obviously very close, except maybe the Yankees. When a series goes to the final game it just take 1 bad pitch or great hit or defensive play or a fan interference or a bad bounce, etc..
Who has done worse in post season, Atlanta or Dodgers?
Reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 06:55 AM   #297
Cobra Mgr
Hall Of Famer
 
Cobra Mgr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Parts unknown
Posts: 3,062
Thanks: 316
Thanked 531x in 401 posts
Career advice: Following the example of Antonio Brown is not a way to gain tenure.
__________________
If a man is guilty
4 what goes on inside of his mind,
then let me get the electric chair
4 all my future crimes.

- Prince
Batdance
Cobra Mgr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 01:06 PM   #298
daves
All Star Starter
 
daves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,857
Thanks: 1,270
Thanked 497x in 350 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenoser View Post
Cards score 10 runs in the 1st - post season record. Incredible.
Game was over before many fans sat down.
__________________
1st 4-peat team in PT history 1.0

Righty defense team

Lefty Custom
daves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 01:10 PM   #299
daves
All Star Starter
 
daves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,857
Thanks: 1,270
Thanked 497x in 350 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reed View Post
Small sample size. All these teams in the playoffs are obviously very close, except maybe the Yankees. When a series goes to the final game it just take 1 bad pitch or great hit or defensive play or a fan interference or a bad bounce, etc..
Who has done worse in post season, Atlanta or Dodgers?
Dodgers. They had much higher expectations after two World Series loses. Kershaw seems cursed in the post season.

Of course the top of the 1st in the Atlanta game was embarrassing.
__________________
1st 4-peat team in PT history 1.0

Righty defense team

Lefty Custom
daves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 02:55 PM   #300
Rizon
Hall Of Famer
 
Rizon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: SF Area, California Total Posts: 531,300
Posts: 2,276
Thanks: 278
Thanked 271x in 158 posts
I can't say I didn't celebrate the annual choking of the Dodgers last night.
__________________
JML MILKSHAKES
Rizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:38 PM.

 

Major League Baseball trademarks and copyrights are used with permission of MLB Advanced Media, L.P. Minor League Baseball trademarks and copyrights are used with the permission of Minor League Baseball. All rights reserved.

The Major League Baseball Players Association (www.MLBPLAYERS.com ) is the collective bargaining representative for all professional baseball players of the thirty Major League Baseball teams and serves as the exclusive group licensing agent for commercial and licensing activities involving active Major League baseball players. On behalf of its members, it operates the Players Choice licensing program and the Players Choice Awards, which benefit the needy through the Major League Baseball Players Trust, a charitable foundation established and run entirely by Major League baseball players. Follow: @MLB_Players; @MLBPAClubhouse; @MLBPlayersTrust

Out of the Park Baseball is a registered trademark of Out of the Park Developments GmbH & Co. KG

Google Play is a trademark of Google Inc.

Apple, iPhone, iPod touch and iPad are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries.

COPYRIGHT © 2017 OUT OF THE PARK DEVELOPMENTS. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.

 

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright © 2018 Out of the Park Developments