Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 02-17-2020, 02:22 AM   #1
jim255
Minors (Double A)

No defense for this!

I've seen this so many times it's almost ridiculous. Although I marvel at the game's ability to manufacture a synopsis of the game immediately after it is finished, I have yet to see any reference to defense when, in fact, unearned runs were the MAJOR factor in the outcome. As in a recent Cubs game (lost 4-3) when all four of the opponent's runs were uneared due to three Cub errors. Yet only the offense (this guy had 2 doubles and a homer) and the pitching (so-and-so struck out 11) are mentioned. Has anyone else noticed this? What's the point of these "game stories" if they routinely overlook the key factor?
jim255 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 08:24 AM   #2
Mr. Marlin
All Star Starter

Game summaries are a work in progress I think. Two versions ago they didn't exist. One version ago they were random IIRC. OOTP Gets better ever version. You would be amazed at how far the PbP has come over the years.

Don't get me wrong, you have pointed out a legit issue where details need to be improved. And I suspect they will be.
Mr. Marlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 08:30 AM   #3
Rosco Peabody
All Star Starter

I'd like to see a feature where you could click a button to modify the player of the game. I've had too many games where the wrong guy gets picked.

For instance, one guy will go 3 for 4 with 3 RBI and get picked over someone who went 2 for 4 with 3 RBI. The problem is, the 3 for 4 guy got all singles over the course of the game, where the 2 for 4 guy, say, got his 3 RBI while coming back from down two runs in the bottom of the ninth and hit a 3 run homer to win.

(just an example, but you get the point)

I'd like to be able to edit that for accuracy

Been playing since OOTP '08

Avatar is a picture of me drawn by one of my students a few years ago

(My real name is not Rosco, nor do I live anywhere near Peabody)
Rosco Peabody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 08:48 AM   #4
Bunktown Ballers
All Star Starter

Infractions: 0/1 (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosco Peabody View Post
I'd like to see a feature where you could click a button to modify the player of the game. I've had too many games where the wrong guy gets picked.

For instance, one guy will go 3 for 4 with 3 RBI and get picked over someone who went 2 for 4 with 3 RBI. The problem is, the 3 for 4 guy got all singles over the course of the game, where the 2 for 4 guy, say, got his 3 RBI while coming back from down two runs in the bottom of the ninth and hit a 3 run homer to win.

The worst example is Team 1 beating Team 2, 11-2 but Team 2 player that went 2-4 with 2 solo home runs win POTG. Lots of 2 homer players win POTG regardless. But I still read report after game for most part. Needs to remain in game for sure
Bunktown Ballers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 01:26 PM   #5
albatross11
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosco Peabody View Post

I really like your suggestion. It's not about "accuracy", however, since there's no "official" POG. I used to select my own POG's, but now it's too cumbersome, and doesn't show up in the player's history. Your suggestion would probably help a lot.

albatross
albatross11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 03:12 AM   #6
CBeisbol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by albatross11 View Post
there's no "official" POG.
Right

Are we looking for contextual or non-contractual performance? As in Rosco's example. I, typically, prefer the contextual performance but that's a preference more than something that's right or wrong.

I don't really ever care about the player of the game, but I think the game models real life in that raw stats are favored over contextual ones.

Last edited by CBeisbol; 02-19-2020 at 03:14 AM.
CBeisbol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 06:56 AM   #7
Torse6294
Bat Boy

The issue I'm hoping they fix is in the post season when there seems to be no acknowledgment of the length of the series. After a series clinching game there are always the mentions of a team taking a 4-1 advantage and the opposing manager putting things in perspective my saying that it's just one loss and they'll be ready to plan tomorrow.
Torse6294 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 03:14 AM   #8
jim255
Minors (Double A)

Yes, the Player of the Game choices are sometimes downright comical. A pitcher goes 7 great innings, then the bullpen collapses and an opponent hits a game-winning grand slam. Yet that hapless starter is the Player of the Game. He's not the goat, either, but no way he merits that honor.
jim255 is offline   Reply With Quote