Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - Historical Simulations

OOTP 14 - Historical Simulations Discuss historical simulations and their results in this forum.

Old 07-18-2013, 02:27 PM   #1
LeiterFanatic
All Star Starter

What did I do wrong?

Tried to set up a single season replay league but all players are on the active roster. Meaning, I have about 30 guys active on the roster. What did I miss toggling to only have the 25 man roster that was available that day? using real transactions and lineups
LeiterFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 03:11 PM   #2
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeiterFanatic View Post
Tried to set up a single season replay league but all players are on the active roster. Meaning, I have about 30 guys active on the roster. What did I miss toggling to only have the 25 man roster that was available that day? using real transactions and lineups
Are you trying to use the real lineups function?
David Watts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 07:33 PM   #3
LeiterFanatic
All Star Starter

Yes, I am using the real lineups but I shouldn't have every reliever and pinch hitter available
Old 07-18-2013, 10:01 PM   #4
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Yes, I am using the real lineups but I shouldn't have every reliever and pinch hitter available
If you use real lineups, that's how OOTP works. Your entire roster is available at all times.
Old 07-19-2013, 05:29 PM   #5
LeiterFanatic
All Star Starter

So OOtP doesn't do what Pursue the Pennant AKA Diamond Mind baseball did 5 versions ago? Which to use as played historical,lineups and move players up and down from the 25 man roster when they did in real life? That can't be true.
Old 07-19-2013, 06:56 PM   #6
CatKnight
All Star Starter

Believe it. DMB is specialized for single season replays. OOTP has other priorities.
CatKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 07:01 PM   #7
Charlie Hough
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
So OOtP doesn't do what Pursue the Pennant AKA Diamond Mind baseball did 5 versions ago? Which to use as played historical,lineups and move players up and down from the 25 man roster when they did in real life? That can't be true.
No game can move players on and off the 25-man roster according to the full history of baseball. Roster rules have changed over the years and there is no complete set of historical data that covers ALL transactions, including disabled list action. There are even minor league transactions missing for early decades of baseball.

This is why OOTP uses an unlimited active roster when using real life transactions and lineups. Since there is no historical information to cover all the real transactions, it has to sacrifice a bit with the roster rules.

So let's not pretend that these other products are offering full transactions for all of baseball history and applying the real life roster rules for all seasons. They can only do it for seasons for which complete data sets are available.
Charlie Hough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 08:15 PM   #8
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Hough View Post
So let's not pretend that these other products are offering full transactions for all of baseball history and applying the real life roster rules for all seasons. They can only do it for seasons for which complete data sets are available.
And you pay for each season or group of seasons.

RichW

#stopthestupid

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 11:49 AM   #9
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Why can't the game provide the correct lineups and starting pitchers, but still allow us the option of a limited roster? I personally don't care if the players on my bench are historically accurate(real transactions means that anyone available was at least a member of the team and that's enough for me) and the same goes for my bullpen. For me it's the unlimited bullpen that ruins the real lineup feature. Seeing the AI use 9 pitchers in a game is something I simply can't overlook. Plus, the stats end up goofy at the end of the year.
Old 07-22-2013, 12:32 PM   #10
CatKnight
All Star Starter

Unless it was fixed (and I doubt it if the programming answer was to maximize the active roster), limited rosters broke the 'starting lineup.'

For example, I ran a game as the '68 Cards and noticed the Mets used the wrong starting pitcher.

I checked the lineup file: OOTP had it correct. The problem was the AI put that pitcher on the reserve roster. Therefore, since that player was 'unavailable' the AI was left to its own devices.
CatKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 06:42 PM   #11
LeiterFanatic
All Star Starter

When I saw real transactions as an option, I had assumed it worked like DMB. On April 4, 1988, the Orioles has these 25 players and this lineup. On April 7, Player X was sent down and Player Y became available. This is the was DMB works, so I thought this was entirely in the realm of possibilities. So, while I love the product, I don;t think the claims of real transactions and real lineups really is what I envisioned.
Ok back to DMB 10 for that.
Old 07-24-2013, 10:03 PM   #12
JohnHoward
All Star Reserve

I hesitate to jump in here and I will probably regret it but here goes. OOTP does give exactly what it claims, real transactions and real lineups. It does not give real roster moves, since those are not "transactions", which by definition involve more than one party (team, in this case).

I play with 30 man limits on my rosters but usually with 25 players available per game (sometimes 24 or 26, or weirdly for the Cubs in the 60's as few as 22) determined to the best of my ability. I keep a roster move/mini-calendar for each team that I construct myself for each season, along with a pitching spreadsheet so I can keep track of reliever roles as they evolve. It takes a lot of work but I love it and get more out of it than by paying $$ for a DMB season where it is done for me.

I like the OOTP set-up because I like DOING something and working through the season set-up and making the right roster changes is FUN (if you like that sort of thing; I do). The game helps tremendously by auto providing the lineups and trades.

Yes, DMB makes this easier, but thereby assigns the gamer a very passive role. Doing it the OOTP way, with my own contributions, helps me learn more about the history of baseball, so I prefer it the OOTP way.

Last edited by JohnHoward; 07-24-2013 at 10:05 PM. Reason: you already know it's for spelling
JohnHoward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 04:58 PM   #13
LeiterFanatic
All Star Starter

Okay, so "transactions" are not call-ups and send-downs and DL moves, but simply "trades" in the scope of the game. But OOTP counts these as transactions under your team history page.

Ok will delete that league and continue the fictional and career leagues I have
Old 08-18-2013, 03:25 PM   #14
PhilM
Minors (Rookie Ball)

I don't care about the roster size so much for the teams I am not managing, though, as pointed out previously, having every pitcher on the 40 man roster available to relieve does lead to inaccuracies. Too bad you can't use a 25 man roster and have the game "prompt" the owner/manager to substitute if a player used in the real line-up is unavailable / not on the roster. I forget which other game I've experimented with in the past that did that very thing. One would think with the exhibited expertise behind OOTP that this could be accomplished.
PhilM is offline   Reply With Quote