Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Baseball 25 > OOTP Dynasty Reports

OOTP Dynasty Reports Tell us about the OOTP dynasties you have built!

Old 10-11-2013, 02:43 PM   #201
illeracula
Hall Of Famer

Week 13

Current Week: 5-2 (51-30 - GB 1st (+3.0))
Next Week: 2 vs Ocean City Tourists, 3 vs Wilmington Iron Pigs
Power Ranking: 1
Fan Interest: 64 (+2)
Owners Mood: Ecstatic

Game 75
Washington 1, Norfolk 8
Karl Armstrong (7-3) was inserted into the rotation after coming back from his injury to pitch against the Senators, instead of Sun Ho, and it seemed to pay off. Armstrong was on his game, pitching a complete game 3 hitter, allowing a solo-HR for the only damage he took. The offense took advantage of the 7 walks and 8 hits. Lead by Brian Cline 3-4 3 RBI, including a HR (14) and Pablo Freitas 2-5 with 2 runs and an RBI.

Game 76
Washington 2, Norfolk 7
Don Sweetapple (5-4) followed with a solid 7 inning performance of his own. Don gave up 6 hits and 1 run. Ron Harris struggled in the 8th, but Dalton Whitaker picked him up and picked up the save (2). The offense slugged out 11 hits, which included 4 players with 2 (Mauro Candelaria, Pablo Freitas, Tomas Reyes and Chris Shopland). Shopland lead the team with 3 RBI, Jesus Rivera lead the team with 3 runs and Pablo Freitas hit a HR (18).

Game 77
Annapolis 5, Norfolk 3
Carlos Mateo (10-3) took home the win, throwing 1 hit ball over 7 innings. Dalton Whitaker struggled giving up 2 HR's, but Carlos Rodriquez finished off the game for the save (17). The offense was on a roll stroking 10 hits, sincluding 2 by Ron Alder and 2 by Pablo Freitas. Five different players had RBI's.

Game 78
Annapolis 10, Norfolk 0
Tsuneo Sato (10-4) got roughed up in 3.2 innings, allowing 7 runs, on 8 hits, before being pulled for Sun Ho. Ho didn't fair much better giving up 2 runs in 2.1 innings. The offense was 1 hit, with Tomas Reyes singling for the only hit. Just one of those games when the pitchers and hitters both decided to take off.

Game 79
Norfolk 4, Baltimore 10
Geoffrey Bayles (5-4) given another start after his stellar performance last week, got roughed up, as he gave up 8 runs on 6 hits in 4.1 innings. Sun Ho pitched 2 innings and gave up 2 runs of his own. The offense got back on track with 10 hits, including 2 hit days by Jose Rodriquez and Tomas Reyes. Bot of which hit solo-HR's (10,5).

Game 80
Norfolk 4, Baltimore 1
Karl Armstrong (8-3) continued to stay hot, going 7 innings of 3 hit ball, allowing just 1 run. Carlos Rodriquez closed the door in the 9th for the save (18). The offense was pretty quiet, with Tomas Reyes staying hot with a 2-4 day and Jacob Chaney had a 3-4 day with 3 RBI.

Big Trade: We sent Howard Harper, Ken Coffman, 2nd Round Pick and our 5th Round pick to the Chesapeake Blue Crabs for Jose Villa and their 1st Round pick. Jose Villa is a 4* reliever who will shore up our bullpen... Sending them Harper and Coffman move two guys that are burried in our system. Harper saved us last season in the playoffs, but lost his spot this spring, we don't feel like he makes enough contact. Coffman once a top prospect never developed the control we want to see (8/8). Recap will be posted below. Villa is nationally known and boosted our fan interest.

Transactions: To make room on the roster for Jose Villa, Sun Ho was sent back down to AAA. I'd rather him in the rotation for a little while, but I have no one else to send down. Trade Bayles?

Game 81
Norfolk 6, Baltimore 2
Don Sweetapple (6-4) had another solid performance going 8.1 innings, allowing just 2 runs (1 ER) on 8 hits. The offense slugged 12 hits with Brian Cline and Tony Soto collecting 3 and Mauro Candelaria and Pat Shelton collecting 2. Ron Alder (3) and Tony Soto (10) each hit HR's.

Players of the Week:
Delaware: Chris Adams, Wilmington Iron Pigs, 9-21 2 HR, 8 RBI, 7 Runs
MarVa: Abraham Thomas, Washington Senators, 13-28, 5 HR, 9 RBI

Power Rankings:
1) Norfolk Cavaliers (119.3)
2) Annapolis Admirals (109.0)
3) Washington Senators (108.7)
4) Lewes Braves (102.3)
5) Wilmington Iron Pigs (101.5)

GM Thoughts/Notes: We did what we had to, beat the Senators two times at home. Great job by Armstrong and Sweetapple... Still aren't scoring enough runs, but we did much better this week than last. We have been talking to some teams about trades, but nothing special is coming out of it. I am not going to give up my starting catcher or starting shortstop. Crazy some of these deals these GM's want... One more week till the all-star break and some well need rest for the 2nd half of the season... Should be a fun ride till the end of the year.
Attached Images

Check out my OOTP dynasty, the DelMarVa Baseball League:
DelMarVa Baseball League.

and the spin off:
DelMarVa Baseball League - 2037 WBC Tournament - Won by Team USA - New England.

DelMarVa Baseball League - 2039 WBC Tournament - Won by Team USA - New England..
illeracula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 05:00 PM   #202
illeracula
Hall Of Famer

The Big One

Official Press Release: Norfolk, Baltimore Make Trade: In an effort to add some depth to its roster, the Norfolk Cavaliers have swapped 21-year-old minor league starting pitcher Eugene Carpenter, 30-year-old starting pitcher Geoffrey Bayles, a 1st round draft pick and a 3rd round draft pick to the Baltimore Barons for 25-year-old third baseman Roberto Pérez, a 2nd round draft pick and $500,000 in cash. The Cavaliers GM told reporters, "We saw a chance to upgrade our ball club and took it."

This season Bayles has a 5-4 mark in 14 starts with a 5.51 ERA. He has given up 100 hits in 80 innings, struck out 58 and issued 25 walks. Opposing clubs have compiled a .306 batting average against him.

For the year Pérez has hit at a .383 clip with 81 RBIs, 21 home runs and 64 runs scored.

Post Trade Transactions: Roberto Perez was inserted into the lineup as the everyday 3rd baseman and will hit 4th, sliding Brian Cline to the 5th hole and Jose Rodriquez to the 6th. Mauro Candelaria will take over as the first baseman. Chris Shopland will be optioned to AAA. Sun Ho will be brought up from AAA and placed in the rotation taking Bayles spot.

General Manager Comments: We have the pitching to compete, but our offense has just been to inconsistent. Bringing in Perez gives us a true bat, an All-Star and someone who makes us better. The trade does have some side effects though. How deep is our starting pitching? Sun was our #6, do we have one now? Who will step up? Will our defense be ok with Candy at first? He isn't a first baseman, but will learn on the job. He has played all over for us. And finally how will this constrict our budget? We are here to win it, you don't get a chance to repeat very often and we feel this trade is going to put us over the top. We are excited to add Roberto to our team.
Attached Images

and the spin off:

DelMarVa Baseball League - 2039 WBC Tournament - Won by Team USA - New England..
Old 10-11-2013, 10:51 PM   #203
illeracula
Hall Of Famer

July in Review

Delaware Conference

Batter of the Month: Glen Jenkins, Lewes Braves
Seasoned by several years of professional experience, 33-year-old Glenn Jenkins put together a solid offensive month for Lewes and was crowned June's top batter in the Delaware Conference. He batted .430 with 2 home runs, 14 RBIs and 24 runs scored. Jenkins is hitting .375 this year with 5 home runs and 24 RBIs. He also has an OBP of .487, 47 walks and scored 45 times.

Pitcher of the Month: James McLaughlin, Newark Millers
Newark Millers starter James McLaughlin has collected the Delaware Conference Pitcher of the Month award for a run of lights-out performances. "This town really appreciates it when you're going well," said McLaughlin. "They might boo you when you're getting knocked around, but they love you when you're mowin' them down." In June the 26-year-old compiled a 5-0 record in 5 starts with a 1.30 ERA. He threw 34.2 innings, fanning 28 while walking 8. So far this year McLaughlin has compiled a 9-1 record with a 1.65 ERA.

Rookie of the Month: Cody Patton, Georgetown Sixteens
When all the votes were counted for the Rookie of the Month in June, Cody Patton of the Georgetown Sixteens was on top of the pile. The standout second baseman rifled hits here, there, and everywhere in Delaware Conference ballparks the entire month to win the honor. The 27-year-old second baseman took the trophy by putting up a .393 average and .417 on-base percentage, 22 hits, no home runs, 3 RBIs and 6 runs scored. For the year Patton is batting .348 with no home runs, 15 RBIs and 28 runs scored.

MarVa Conference

Batter of the Month: Roberto Perez, Baltimore Barons
When Roberto Pérez stepped up to the plate in June, he did it with confidence and today he was honored with the MarVa Conference Batter of the Month award. The young Baltimore third baseman posted a .442 batting average with 10 home runs, 36 RBIs and scored 26 runs. Pérez also worked pitchers for 11 walks to post a .496 on-base percentage. This year Pérez has hit at a .388 clip with 116 hits, 21 home runs, 80 RBIs and 63 runs scored.

Pitcher of the Month: Miguel Contreras, Ocean City Tourists
Miguel Contreras took a much-deserved turn in the spotlight earlier today as he accepted the MarVa Conference Pitcher of the Month award for June. The 27-year-old Tourists starter is a relative newcomer to the league, but nonetheless racked up an impressive 4-2 won-lost record in 6 starts. This month he fanned 38 batters in 46.1 innings and compiled a 1.55 ERA. This season in 16 starts Miguel Contreras has a record of 7-7 with 95 strikeouts in 104.2 innings and a 3.78 ERA.

Rookie of the Month: Bill Little, Annapolis Admirals
Youngster Bill Little emerged as the latest MarVa Conference Rookie of the Month today. The young man from Annapolis deserved the honor, batting .317 with 6 home runs and 28 RBI. Is the month of June a harbinger of things to come or just a fluke? We'll find out someday, but for now, we'll just let Little enjoy the limelight. This season Little is hitting at a .299 pace with 7 home runs, 31 RBIs and has scored 16 times.

League Leaders (as of July 5th)
* means new leader for the month
Delaware Division:
AVG: Glen Jenkins (Lewes Braves) .375*
HR: Billy Moore (Milford Clippers) 29
RBI: Billy Moore (Milford Clippers) 75
SB: Jeff Lewis (Newark Millers) 22

W: Marcos Estrada (Wilmington Iron Pigs) 12
ERA: James McLaughlin (Newark Miller) 1.97
K: Marcos Estrada (Wilmington Iron Pigs) 133
SV: Otik Duffek (Milford Clippers) 25

Marva Division:
AVG: Roberto Perez (Baltimore Barons) .383*
HR: Abraham Thomas (Washington Senators) 27
RBI: Roberto Perez (Baltimore Barons) 81*
SB: Ron Alder (Norfolk Cavaliers) 33 (on pace for 66, record is 60)

W: Tsuneo Sato (Norfolk Cavaliers)/ Carlos Mateo (Norfolk Cavaliers) 10*
ERA: Felippe Aarsee (Ellicott City) 2.90*
K: Tony Garcia (Annapolis Admirals) 104*
SV(t): Bill Fox (Ocean City Tourists) 23

Standings (as of July 5th)

The Lewes Braves are starting to starting to add some space between them and the Brewers, but its not over yet. The Dover Generals are trying to creep their way back in... The Northern Division is still anyones ball game. I am surprised to see New Castle dropping, they are too good to be dropping down in the standings... Not much doing in the Eastern Division. The Admirals and Tourists are still fighting and the Tourists are slowly creeping in. The Tourists have a powerful offense, so watch for them to make a run... In the Western Division the Senators are trying to catch the Cavaliers, but the Cav's keep holding them off. They play each other 7 more times this season, all in Norfolk. The Senators won it all 2-years ago with a late season surge, so keep that in mind...

Norfolk July Recap

Pitching has been keep us in games as our offens eis trying to figure out what they are doing. We need to start scoring some runs to help support our pitchers and I think we will have a good shot with this team. We have played very well against some of the better teams and we have owned the Senators... We made two moves that I think will push us over the top, and hopefully we will remain healthy. Health is the key... We are heading into All-Star break after this next week and I am feeling good about this team... We still have some questions, but overall we are a much better team today than we were yesterday...

I posed some questions for June, so lets see what happend...
Pablo Freitas raise his average currently he is hitting .250.
>> Freitas is hitting .241 now. Should I move him out of the #3 slot? Put Cline there, or maybe Perez? I am going to put Perez in 4 hole for now, but we will see. I have options.

Don Sweetapple get 3 wins, currently he is 2-2 with the 2nd best ERA in the league.
>> Sweetapple got his 3 wins, and he fisnished the month winning his last 2 starts. Hopefully thats a sign of good things to come.

Edgar Matsuda pitch better. Highest ERA in the bullpen. Trade material?
>> Matsuda was shipped to AAA and Jose Villa was brought in to help the pen out. We will see how that works.

Carlos Rodriquez, our closer, lower his walk per/9 rating, currently 8.16
>> Rodriquez's ratio is now 5.79, which is awesome compared to where he was. He had a great month and I am happy to see his walks go down.

Questions for July:
Does Sun Ho have enough?
How will Freitas hit with Perez behind him?
Did I sacrafice too much pitching for hitting?
How many runs did we score?

and the spin off:

Last edited by illeracula; 10-11-2013 at 10:56 PM.
Old 10-14-2013, 01:38 PM   #204
illeracula
Hall Of Famer

Week 14

Current Week: 4-2 (55-32 - GB 1st (+2.0))
Next Week: **All Star Break**, 4 vs New Castle Colonials
Power Ranking: 2 (-1)
Fan Interest: 72 (+8)

Game 82
Ocean City 1, Norfolk 8
Carlos Mateo (11-3) got back on the winning track, throwing an impressive 7.2 innings, giving up 1 run on 2 hits against a powerful offense. Tomas Reyes lead the offense with a 1-4 day with 2 runs and a 3-run HR (6). Ron Alder, Mauro Candelaria and Jacob Chaney added 2 hits a piece. Roberto Pereze went 0-4 with 2 RBI and a SB in his debut.

Game 83
Ocean City 13, Norfolk 2
Tsueno Sato (10-5) got roughed up, going 2.1 innings allowing 7 runs on 7 hits, and Elmer Hawkins didn't do much better in relief giving up 5 runs on 4 hits in 2 innings. The offense was lead by Pablo Freitas and Roberto Perez who both went 2-4. Perez added 2 RBI, including a 2B and 3B.

Game 84
Wilmington 3, Norfolk 4 (10 innings)
Sun Ho (ND) threw a solid game in his first start as our offical #5. He went 7.2 innings, allowing 3 runs on 5 hits. Dalton Whitaker threw the last 1.1 innings to get the win (5-2). Mauro Candelaira lead the offense going 3-5 with a run and 4 RBI, including a walk-off HR (5) in the 10th. Tony Soto added 2 hits.

Game 85
Wilmington 9, Norfolk 3
Karl Armstrong (8-4) got roughed up, in 4.2 innings of work, he gave up 6 hits on 7 runs, 2 HR's. The offense was kept quiet, getting 8 hits, lead by Mauro Candelaria and Brian Cline each with 2.

Game 86
Wilmington 12, Norfolk 4
Don Sweetapple (7-4) did what he does best, pitched 8.2 innings of solid ball, allowing 3 runs (2 ER), on 8 hits. The offense exploded with 14 hits, 5 HR's. Mauro Candelaria lead the offense with 4 hits. Tomas Reyes hit a solo-HR (7), Brian Cline hit a solo-HR (15), Jesus Rivera hit a 3-run HR (5), Pat Shelton hit a 2-run HR (4) and Roberto Perez hit his first HR as a Cavalier a 2-run shot (22).

Game 87
Wilmington 1, Norfolk 5
Carlos Mateo (12-3) went 7 innings allowing 1 run (0 ER) on 3 hits and Ron Harris pitched 2-shut-out innings to finish the game off. The offense was lead by Roberto Perez who went 2-4 with 2 runs and 3 RBI, including a HR (23).

Players of the Week:
Delaware: Charles Culligan (New Castle Colonials) 11-27, 4 HRs, 11 RBI
MarVa: Anthony Cunningham (Ocean City Tourists) 14-25, 5 HR, 11 RBI

Power Rankings:
1) Washington Senators (118.7)
2) Norfolk Cavaliers (117.8)
3) Lewes Braves (109.6)
4) Newark Millers (107.4)
5) Chesapeake Blue Crabs (106.4)

GM Thoughts/Notes: We had a pretty good week going 4-2 the offense showed some pop, but was also flat at times, I would really like to see some consistency with this offense. Hopefully it will come around for the second half... Going into the All-Star break with our heads high and first place. The Senators are starting to heat up, so we will have our hands full. I am going to look around for any pitchers that might be available, but maybe I won't need anything. Just have my eyes open with the way Mateo is going and the unknown with Ho... Pitching we are still going well, top bullpen, top starters, top defense, can't go wrong there... I am looking forward to the All-Star break to get our staff rested and reset for the 2nd half... Going to be an interesting 2nd half, I hope other teams start beating up on the Senators for us.

and the spin off:

Old 10-14-2013, 02:10 PM   #205
illeracula
Hall Of Famer

2015 All-Star Game

The 2015 All-Star game is upon, marking an end to the first half of the season. The best-of-the-best are here to show off what they have and rest up for the final 80 games. The MarVa Conference goes after their first win, as the Delaware Conference has pulled out victories in the previous two.

The games projected starters are Felipe Aarse of the Ellicott City Express going up against Ron Cantrell of the New Castle Colonials.

The Norfolk Cavaliers are sending a team high 6 All-Stars this season, ok so Roberto Perez isn't really a Cavaliers All-Star, but he will be rep'ing the Cav's uniform during the game, so close enough. Don Sweetapple and Roberto Perez will be making their 3rd appearance, Carlos Rodriguez his 2nd and Carlos Mateo, Karl Armstrong and Tony Soto will be making their first.

and the spin off:

Last edited by illeracula; 10-14-2013 at 11:30 PM.
Old 10-15-2013, 12:26 PM   #206
illeracula
Hall Of Famer

2015 All-Star Game

This years All-Star game, hosted by the Milton Brewers, wasn't the classic the previous two were; As Rod Cantrell got roughed up in the second inning, giving up 6 runs on 4 hits and 3 walks. The MarVa Conference pitchers (8 of them) held the Delaware Conference to 3 hits and only 6 base runners. Howard Johns (Chesapeake Blue Crabs) also added 2-hits. Outside of the big second inning this game was pretty much a pitchers game. The Delaware Conference committed an All-Star game high 4 errors.

W: Mike Banks (Annapolis Admirals)
L: Rod Cantrell (New Castle Colonials)
HR: none
MVP: Kent Davis (Baltimore Barons) (2-5, 1 Run, 3 RBI)

** Norfolk Cavaliers Performances **
Roberto Perez 0-2, run and a walk (started, batted leadoff)
Tony Soto 0-2 (PH in the 7th, stayed in a played LF)
The Cavaliers pitches pitched the final 4.

and the spin off:

Old 10-15-2013, 03:22 PM   #207
illeracula
Hall Of Famer

Week 15

Current Week: 3-1 (58-33 - GB 1st (+1.0))
Next Week: 4 @ Dover Generals, 3 @ Annapolis Admirals
Power Ranking: 2
Fan Interest: 72

** All Star Break **

Game 88
New Castle 1, Norfolk 5
I was hoping the 3 day All-Star break was enough to rejuvenate Tsuneo Sato (11-3), who went into the All-Star break on a 3 game losing streak. His last two games he got roughed up really badly not able to get past the 4th in either start (3.2, 2.1). I'd like to see him get back to the form he was to start the season when he won 8 straight (10 starts). And he didn't disappoint, going all 9, giving up 6 hits and 1 only 1 run. The offense had 7 singles, including two by Julio Romero. Pat Shelton and Ron Alder each had 2 RBI.

Game 89
New Castle 4, Norfolk 7
Sun Ho (2-2) has pitched well as a starter and he continued to do so, going 6.1 innings, allowing 2 runs on 6 hits. The bullpen kept the game close for Carlos Rodriquez, who took home the save (19). Roberto Perez and Maruo Candelaria lead the offense with 2 hits a piece. Candelaira had a 2-run HR (6) and Roberto Perez had a 3-run HR (24). Tony Soto and Brian Cline each added 2 hits.

Game 90
New Castle 9, Norfolk 10
Don Sweetapple (ND) didn't have his best stuff, but left in position to get the win, going 7 innings, allowing 6 runs (5 ER) on 7 hits. The bullpen let the game slip away, but Dalton Whitaker (6-2) took home the win thanks to a 3-run walk off HR by Jose Rodriquez (11)! Brian Cline and Tony Soto each had a 4-5 day's and Roberto Perez went 2-3, with 2 walk, 3 runs and 4 RBI, thanks to 2-HR's (26). Ron Alder stole 2 bases raising his season total to 35.

Game 91
New Castle 6, Norfolk 5
Karl Armstrong (8-5) took the loss giving up a run in the 8th (probably should of been removed after 7) as Ron Harris gave up a 2-run HR, which gave the Colonials the lead. Brian Cline continued to stay hot, going 2-4 with a solo-HR (16). Jose Rodriquez, also added 2 hits, and Roberto Perez went 1-3 with 2 runs.

Players of the Week:
Delaware: Jeff Lewis, Newark Millers, 11-18, 3 RBI
MarVa: Abraham Thomas, Washington Senators, 8-19, 6 HR, 11 RBI

Notable Performances Around the League:
Abraham Thomas had a 3 HR day against the Wilmington Iron Pigs, going 3-4 with 5 RBI.

Notable Injuries:
Charles Culligan the starting 1B for the New Castle Colonials will be out 3-4 months with a fractured ankle (.269-22-60).

Power Rankings:
1) Washington Senators (127.7)
2) Norfolk Cavaliers (121.7)
3) Chesapeake Blue Crabs (107.8)
4) Newark Millers (107.8)
5) Milford Clippers (106.7)

GM Thoughts/Notes: The steam engine called the Washington Senators are just plowing through their competition. I thought a 3-1 week was going to allow us to keep some space, but they gained a game. They are playing at their top level right now and we will have to pick it up to try to slow them down... The return for Roberto Perez so far has paid odd, the offense seems to be scoring more (3rd in Conf). Hot week or the new norm? We will have to wait and see... Pitching seems to be chugging right along, still #2 in Starters ERA, #1 in Bullpen ERA and #1 overall in runs allowed... Moving Mauro Candelaira to first hasn't slowed the defense down (.714 D Eff), but he is struggling to learn the new position.

and the spin off:

Old 10-15-2013, 09:10 PM   #208
illeracula
Hall Of Famer

Week 16

Current Week: 4-3 (62-36 - GB 1st (Tied))
Next Week: 2 vs Washington Senators, 4 vs Milford Clippers
Fan Interest: 71 (-1)

Game 92
Norfolk 7, Dover 4
Carlos Mateo (13-3) stayed hot, going 7 innings, allowing only 2 runs on 8 hits. Bill Lee had a rough 9th, allowing 2 runs on 3 hits, before Carlos Rodriquez came in to close the door for the save (20). The offense stroked 11 hits, with the bopper being Brian Cline. Cline went 3-3 with 4 RBI, including a 3-run HR (17). Patrick Shelton hit a PH HR (5) in the 8th, and Pablo Freitas and Tomas Reyes each added 2-hits.

Game 93
Norfolk 8, Dover 3
Tsuneo Sato (12-5) took home the win, throwing 7 innings, allowing 2 runs on 4 hits. The offense was lead by Julio Romero, who went 2-4 with 2 runs and 2 RBI, including a HR (1). Jose Rodriquez added 2 hits and Mauro Candelaria added 2 RBI.

Game 94
Norfolk 4, Dover 7
Sun Ho (2-3) took the loss, allowing 6 runs (4 ER) over 5.2 innings of work on 10 hits. The offense fought back, but just couldn't score enough. Jacob Chaney hit a 2-run HR (3) and Brian Cline had a PH 2-run HR (18). Roberto Perez added 2 hits.

Game 95
Norfolk 9, Dover 11
Don Sweetapple (ND) had the worse start of his career, not making it out of the 1st. Don gave up 6 runs on 6 hits in 2/3 of an inning. The Cav's fought back, but Dalton Whitaker (6-3) and Ron Harris each gave up 2 runs in 1 Inning to let the comeback slip away. The Cav's offense was lead by Pablo Freitas with 2 hits and 2 RBI and Jacob Chaney 1-3, 2 runs and 3 RBI, including a HR (4). Jesus Rivera added a PH grand slam (6) in the 5th.

Conference News: The Washington Senators lose ending a 10 game win streak and are now tied for first in the Western Division.

Game 96
Norfolk 19, Annapolis 3
Karl Armstrong (9-5) pitched a complete game, allowing 3 runs on 5 hits. He was a benefactor of an offense that got a little fire lit under them. The offense exploded for 21 hits and 19 runs. Lead by Mauro Candelaria we went 5-6 with 4 runs scored. Roberto Perez hit a HR (27) and added 4 runs and 3 RBI. Patrick Shelton had a 4-6 day, with a HR (6), driving in 3 and scoring 2 times. Gilberto Ramos added 3 hits and 2 RBI. And Brian Cline hit 2 3-run-HR's (20) and drove in 8!

Game 97
Norfolk 5, Annapolis 11
Carlos Mateo (13-4) got roughed up over 3.1 innings allowing 10 hits and 7 runs. Elmer Hawkins continued to struggle out of the pen giving up 2 runs in relief. Jacob Chaney, Roberto Perez and Mauro Candelaria each had 2 hits, and Jose Rodriquez lead the team with 5-hits, including a HR (12).

Injury News: Pablo Freitas came off the field in the 5th and went staright back to the clubhouse. After Francisco Gonzalez evaluated him, he gave us the bad news. Freitas is out of commission for 5 weeks. Freitas is our CF'er who was leading the team in RBI's, on the season he is hitting .245 with 18 HR's and 70 RBI. Chris Shopland will be brought up to take Fretias roster spot, and Pat Shelton will be our new CF'er.

Game 98
Norfolk 4, Annapolis 2
Tsuneo Sato (13-5) had another solid start, going 8 innings, allowing 1 run on 5 hits. Carlos Rodriquez closed out the game for the save (21). In his first start since being name the starting CF'er in Freitas absence Pat Shelton continued to swing a hot bat, hitting a 3-run HR (7). Ron Alder added 3 hits and a SB (38) and Roberto Perez and Jesus Rivera each had 2 hits.

Transactions: After the game we sent Chris Shopland back down to AAA, at 24 years old, we want him to get more AB's, as he is struggling with the bat this season. We replaced Shopland on the roster with Gabriel Rios, at 29 years old, and a free-agent to be we figured we would give him a shot to show off his stuff.

Players of the Week:
Delaware: Emory Cameron, New Castle, Colonials, 15-31 3 HR, 14 RBI
MarVa: John Bowles, Baltimore Barons, 12-27, 3 HR, 10 RBI

Power Rankings:
1) Washington Senators (118.9)
2) Norfolk Cavaliers (116.9)
3) Ocean City Tourists (110.2)
4) Chesapeake Blue Crabs (107.7)
5) Annapolis Admirals (101.0)

GM Thoughts/Notes: Well the offense had a week to remember. Two players with 5 hit games, one with 8 RBI. Just an awesome week. Something the fans in Norfolk aren't accustomed too. And our fan interest dropped, go figure... With Freitas out it makes the pick up of Roberto Perez that much more important. He will play an important role on this team. I looked to make a trade, and at the free agent wire, but really nothing is appealing. It will be interesting to see how this team deals with the first major injury of the year... Our pitching must just of been totally awesome at the beginning of the year, as much as they have been hit around over the past couple of weeks its hard to believe we are still 1 in Bullpen ERA and 2 in Starters ERA... We start off this week with 2 HUGE games against Washington, and then we head into August. Going to be fun final 2 months.

and the spin off:

Old 10-16-2013, 12:26 PM   #209
illeracula
Hall Of Famer

Week 17

Current Week: 5-1 (67-37 - GB 1st (+2))
Next Week: 3 vs Ellicott City Express, 3 @ Richmond Cardinals
Fan Interest: 70 (-1)

Game 99
Washington 1, Norfolk 2
Sun Ho (3-3) scattered 12 hits and 4 walks over 6.2 innings to take home the win. He was the benefactor of 3 double plays and some timely defense. Five relievers held the Senators in check and Carlos Rodriquez took home the save (22). The Cav's offense was held in check, but when you have good pitching sometimes all you need to do is score 2 runs. Roberto Perez had 2 hits and an RBI and Jacob Chaney added 2 hits and a run scored.

Game 100
Washington 4, Norfolk 5
Don Sweetapple (8-4) followed Sun's performance with a solid showing himself. Sweetapple threw 8 strong innings, allowing just 3 runs on 5 hits. Carlos Rodriquez had a rocky 9th, but took home the save (23). Ron Alder lead the offense going 2-4 with a HR (4) and 3 RBI, plus his 39th SB. Jose Rodriquez added 2 hits and Tony Soto hit a 2-run HR (11).

Interesting Trade Opportunity: John Ross, the GM of the Ocean City Tourists, gave me a call and wanted to make a huge deal. He wanted to send Anthony Cunningham, one of the games best hitters, a throw-in MR and 1.5 million for 2 prospects and SP Carlos Mateo... this really had me thinking, but with the trade of Geoffrey Bayles we just don't have the SP depth to give up one of our best.

Game 101
Milford 6, Norfolk 5
Karl Armstrong (9-6) threw well, but his defense didn't help him out (4 errors), as he went 5.2 innings, allowing 5 hits and 6 runs (3 ER). The offense fought back, but just didn't have enough. Jacob Chaney had a 3-3 day with a solo-HR (5). Jose Rodriquez had a 2-4 day with a triple and 2 RBI. Maruo Candelaria added to hits. Tony Soto was pulled from the game in the 6th after a collision on a defensive play.

Game 102
Milford 6, Norfolk 7 (10 innings)
Carlos Mateo (ND) didn't have one of his best starts only going 4.2 innings, allowing 8 hits and 6 runs (5 ER), but the bullpen kep the Clippers in check with Ron Harris (2-1) pitching 1.2 shutout innings to take home the win. Roberto Perez, Brian Cline and Jose Rodriquez all had 2-hits and Tomas Reyes and Roberto Perez each added 2 RBI. Roberto Perez singled home Ron Alder in the 10th for the win. Alder stole his 40th and 41st base today. He is now 19 away from the season record.

Injury News: More bad news came down as we were notified that Tony Soto, our starting shortstop, and one of our top hitters, has a partially torn labrum and will be out 3-4 months. Soto missed last years playoffs and it looks like he will miss this years playoffs as well. Last years ROY was having another solid season, hitting .307-11-39

Transactions: Tony Soto was sent to the DL and Chris Shopland was recalled to join the Cavaliers.

Lineup Changes: Mauro Candelaria will move from 1B to SS, Ron Alder will come in from the outfield to play 1B, Brian Cline will go from DH to leftfield and Jesus Rivera will now be our starting DH. These changes will weaken our defense, but it shouldn't be that bad.

Game 103
Milford 5, Norfolk 8
Tsuneo Sato (14-5) continued in his groove going 5.1 innings, allowing just 3 runs on 8 hits. Dalton Whitaker gave up 2 runs in 1.1 inning of work in the pen as he continues to struggle. Carlos Rodriquez pitched the final 1/3 for the save (24). Ron Alder continued to stay hot, going 3-4 with a SB (42). Roberto Perez added 2 hits and 4 RBI, including a HR (28). Jose Rodriquez added a 2-run HR (13). Brian Cline and Mauro Candelaria each had 2 hits..

Game 104
Milford 4, Norfolk 7
Sun Ho (4-3) continued doing what he has been, pitching good enough, going 5.1 innings, allowing 7 hits and 3 runs (1 ER). Carlos Rodriquez pitched the 9th for the save (25). Ron Alder, Mauro Candelaria, Roberto Perez and Joe Payne all had 2-hits, Alder and Perez each added 2-RBIs.

Players of the Week:
Delaware: Jason Myers, Milton Brewers, 10-19 2 HR, 8 RBI
MarVa: Anthony Cunningham, 10-24, 5 HR, 15 RBI

Outstanding Performances:
July 30th Miguel Contreras of the Ocean City Tourists did something that has no other pitcher has done in the DelMarVa Baseball League. He threw a Perfect Game, he faced 27, retired 27 (8 of which were strikeouts). This is the 3rd no-hitter of the season.

Power Rankings:
1) Norfolk Cavaliers (123.0)
2) Ocean City Tourists (113.1)
3) Washington Senators (111.5)
4) Chesapeake Blue Crabs (105.8)
5) New Castle Colonials (101.5)

GM Thoughts/Notes: Well we pulled off the trade for Roberto Perez to help our offense score runs and it seems to be working, as we are now #1 in the Conference in runs scored... Our defense had an awful week, and our defensive efficiency showed, dropping .008 points... The injuries to our starters is starting to mount, we have lost 2 of our big bats and will now work with a less than ideal defense. The next couple of weeks will be interesting as we adjust to life without Tony Soto... All in all we had a great week, and we gained some ground on the Senators. Beating them sure does feel good. Next week we play our other division rivals, both teams are having off seasons, so hopefully we don't take them too lightly.

and the spin off:

Old 10-16-2013, 04:46 PM   #210
illeracula
Hall Of Famer

July in Review

Delaware Conference

Batter of the Month: Emory Cameron, New Castle Colonials
The #1 hitter in the Delaware Conference in July was New Castle shortstop Emory Cameron. He was selected the Batter of the Month. Cameron starred with a .418 batting average, 7 home runs and 33 RBIs. Thus far this season Cameron has hit .300 with 17 home runs, 66 RBIs and scored 50 times.

Pitcher of the Month: Eric Burt, Milford Clippers
Veteran Eric Burt put together quite a successful stretch in July for the Milford Clippers, earning himself the Delaware Conference Pitcher of the Month award. Burt racked up a 5-0 record in 6 starts, posting a 0.99 ERA over 45.2 innings and striking out 18. This year Burt has registered 9 wins and 4 losses in 17 starts with a 3.07 ERA while registering 57 strikeouts and 38 walks in 108.1 innings.

Rookie of the Month: Cody Patton, Georgetown Sixteens
The Delaware Conference has made it official -- Cody Patton is the winner of the Rookie of the Month award. During July the Georgetown shortstop was outstanding with a .275 batting average, no home runs and 12 RBIs. Patton also had 5 walks and posted a .310 on-base percentage. This season Patton has hit at a .323 clip with 27 RBIs, 0 home runs and 44 runs scored. He has played in 75 games.

MarVa Conference

Batter of the Month: Anthony Cunningham, Ocean City Tourists
One of the more consistent batters in July, Ocean City first baseman Anthony Cunningham grabbed MarVa Conference Batter of the Month honors by hitting .436 with 44 hits in 101 at-bats. He racked up 13 home runs and 29 RBIs, scored 22 runs. On the season, Cunningham is batting .368 with 36 home runs and 91 RBIs. He has played in 102 games.

Pitcher of the Month: Miguel Contreras, Ocean City Tourists
Miguel Contreras has made fans throughout DELMARVA Baseball League take notice over the past month with an exceptional 5-0 record. No pitcher in the MarVa Conference threw better in July, garnering him the Pitcher of the Month award today. In 5 starts Contreras compiled a 1.95 ERA, putting up a 5-0 record, striking out 31 and tossing 37 innings. On the season Contreras has 12 wins and 7 losses and a 3.30 ERA.

Rookie of the Month: Totoya Ogawa, Chesapeake Blue Crabs
When you think of rookies, you think of men in their early to mid 20's. Despite the fact that Totoya Ogawa is 30, he made a big splash by putting up solid numbers to win MarVa Conference Rookie of the Month honors. He told BNN reporters at the press conference, "I'm thrilled beyond words. All I can say is... better late than never." In July, the Chesapeake first baseman hit .313 while rapping out 30 hits, 8 home runs, 22 RBIs and 20 runs scored. This season Ogawa is batting .295 with 25 home runs.

League Leaders (as of August 3rd)
Delaware Division:
AVG: Bruce Walker (Lewes Braves) .345*
HR: Billy Moore (Milford Clippers) 35
RBI: Billy Moore (Milford Clippers) 87
SB: Jeff Lewis (Newark Millers) 26

W: Marcos Estrada (Wilmington Iron Pigs) 16
ERA: James McLaughlin (Newark Miller) 2.02
K: Marcos Estrada (Wilmington Iron Pigs) 156
SV: Otik Duffek (Milford Clippers) 34

Marva Division:
AVG: Roberto Perez (Baltimore Barons) .373
HR: Abraham Thomas (Washington Senators) 39
RBI: Roberto Perez (Baltimore Barons) 111
SB: Ron Alder (Norfolk Cavaliers) 42

W: Tsuneo Sato (Norfolk Cavaliers) 14
ERA: Felippe Aarsee (Ellicott City) 3.11
K: Barney Bulter (Washington Senators) 131
SV: Bill Fox (Ocean City Tourists) 33

League Records:
AVG: Peter Peters (New Castle Colonials, 2014) .359
HR: Billy Moore (Milford Clippers, 2014) 64
RBI: Billy Moore (Milford Clippers, 2014) 162
SB: Francisco Durango (Georgetown Sixteens, 2013) 60

W: Jerry Copeland (Dover Generals, 2014) 21
ERA: Marcos Estrada (Wilmington Iron Pigs, 2014) 1.92
K: Marcos Estrada (Wilmington Iron Pigs, 2013) 257
SV: Michael Willard (Washington Senators, 2013) 50

Standings (as of August 3rd)

The Braves remain 5 games in front of the Brewers, the big news is that the Sixteens gamed 4 games. Will they make a run? Is Lewes in control? We will see... The Northern Division remains a cat-fight, as they have their third different leader in the past 3 months. Everyone is still alive. It will be interesting to see what August brings, my guess is New Castle will be in front... Ocean City pulled within 1 game of the Blue Crabs as the Admirals faded 2 games. Should be an interesting finish between these 3 teams... And finally the Cavaliers lost a game to the Senators, but continue to lead. The Senators put together a 10 game win streak and are creeping. This should be a fun finish between these two teams.

Norfolk July Recap

The last 2 months we played pretty much the same kind of ball, winning 17 games. I'd like to think that if we can win 34 more games this season we would see ourselves in 1st, but the way Washington is playing who knows. We do play Washington 3 more times, but not until September.

Monthly Records:
April 16-6
May 15-12
June 17-10
July 17-9

The biggest question we have right now is how will we manage the injuries? Soto is done for season, and Frietas is out the rest of this month. Thats 29 HR's and 109 RBI's that we are out for 4 more weeks. Makes that trade for Roberto Perez even more important to this offense.

Answers for the Questions from July:
Does Sun Ho have enough? So far he is looking good. 3-1 with a ND since being inserted into the starting rotation.

How will Freitas hit with Perez behind him? Well it didn't last long and Freitas might not be hitting behidn Perez when he returns. I will have to see how Cline and Rodriquez are doing. Freitas might end up getting dropped to the #6 hole.

Did I sacrafice too much pitching for hitting? We are still #1 in bullpen ERA, #2 in Starters ERA and #1 in Runs against, so as of right now the answer is no. Plus being #1 in runs scored in the MarVa conference helps.

How many runs did we score? 151 runs in the month sounds pretty good. The real question is how will we do in August.

I think we are headed in the right direction as long as we can stay healthy, we lost 2 big time players and I am not sure we will be able to handle the loss of anyone else. I have polled the waiver wire and the free-agent list and if we are in trouble if we need another SP. We will see, we have done it before and now its our turn to do it again.

and the spin off:

Old 10-16-2013, 05:00 PM   #211
illeracula
Hall Of Famer

Quick Visit to the Players we Traded

Howard Harper was traded to the Chesapeake Blue Crabs for Jose Villa to help solidify our bullpen.

Harper so far with the Blue Crabs is hitting .169-4-10 in 24 games. I was thinking how I could of used him when Freitas went down, but after looking at those stats, it was the right move. He was hitting .380 in AAA when we moved him.

Geoffrey Bayles was traded to the Baltimore Barons for Roberto Perez to help us score some runs.

After 4 starts with the Barons, Bayles was moved to the bullpen and will be used as a set-up man. So far in 5 games (20.2 IP) he has posted a 6.10 ERA and a 1-1 record. I know its been a short period of time, but I have to say at this point it looks like I made the right move.

and the spin off:

Old 10-18-2013, 11:23 AM   #212
illeracula
Hall Of Famer

Week 18

Current Week: 5-1 (72-38 - GB 1st (+2))
Next Week: 2 vs Annapolis Admirals, 4 vs Georgetown Sixteens
Power Ranking: 1 (+1)
Fan Interest: 70

Game 105
Ellicott City 4, Norfolk 11
Don Sweetapple (9-4) had no issues with the Express, going 8.2 innings, allowing 4 runs on 6 hits, while striking out 7. The offense had a nice 15 hit game, with Tomas Reyes breaking out of a cold streak going 3-5 with 3 RBI.. Mauro Candelaria went 4-5 and Gilberto Ramos (2) and Julio Romero (2) each added HR's.

Game 106
Ellicott City 3, Norfolk 6
Karl Armstrong (10-6) became the 3rd Cavalier pitcher to win 10 games, having a strong performance, going 7.2 innings, allowing 1 run on 8 hits. Carlos Rodriquez pitched the final 2/3 for the save (26). Roberto Perez lead the team with 2 hits, Mauro Candelaria lead the team with 2 Runs, and Jacob Chaney lead the team with 2 RBI.

Game 107
Ellicott City 1, Norfolk 6
Carlos Mateo (14-4) continued the pitching success this week, with a 8.1 inning performance, allowing 4 hits and 1 run. Julio Romero lead the offense going 3-4 with 2 RBI, including a HR (3). Ron Alder stole base #44 and Roberto Perez stole base #28. Perez now has 28 HR's and 28 RBI and should become the 2nd player in the DelMarVa league history with a 30/30.

Transactions: We claimed Justin Fresi off of waivers, he was put on our 40 man and sent to AAA. He is a decent middle reliever, and would probably be the next one to come up. Figured can't hurt to have extra parts laying around. Plus he has another option left and makes the minimum.

Game 108
Norfolk 2, Richmond 7
Tsueno Sato (14-6) continues to be inconsistent, I thought we were beyond this, going 4.1 innings, allowing 7 runs on 7 hits. The offense was held in check, managing 5 hits, one being a HR (5) by Ron Alder, leading off the game. Pat Shelton added 2 hits.

Game 109
Norfolk 4, Richmond 0
Sun Ho (5-3) and 4 relivers combined to through a shut-out. Ho went the first 6.2 innnings, giving up 5 hits and striking out 4. The offense was a little more active today getting 10 hits, including 2-hits a piece by Ron Alder, Brian Clien and Tomas Reyes. Brian Cline hit his team leading 21st HR. Ron Alder stole 3 bases, bringing his season total to 47.

Game 110
Norfolk 5, Richmond 2
Don Sweetapple (10-4) became the 4th starting to post 10 wins for the Cav's throwing 8 strong innings. He gave up 7 hits and 2 runs (1 ER) while striking out 10. Carlos Rodriquez pitched the 9th for the save (27). The offense put up 9 hits today, leaving 11 runners stranded. Ron Alder, Roberto Perez and Jesus Rivera each had 2 hits. Tomas Reyes added 2 RBI's. Alder stole base #48.

Players of the Week:
Delaware: Chris Thomas, Dover Generals, 12-23 3 HR, 10 RBI
MarVa: Anthony Cunningham, Ocean City Tourists, 8-20, 4 HR, 6 RBI

Major Injuries:
Jorge Padilla of the Richmond Cardinals was diagnosed with a torn rotator cuff and will miss at least 14 months. He was having a pretty good year for a bad team, posting a record of 10-8 with a 3.68 ERA.

Eric Moore of the Ocean City Tourists tore some ankle ligaments and will miss the next 5 months. Moore was hitting .320-3-18 for the Tourists.

Power Rankings:
1) Norfolk Cavaliers (125.8)
2) Washington Senators (124.5)
3) Chesapeake Blue Crabs (106.1)
4) Annapolis Admirals (105.2)
5) Ocean City Tourists (113.1)

GM Thoughts/Notes: The Senators matched us game for game, we lost one, they lost one its going to be a battle that is for sure, one of us will hit a speed bump and the other team will take the advantage and spread out the division. Hopefully the Senators will hitting it soon... We now have 4 starters with 10+ wins, shows how consistent they have been all season. Our pitching and defense have consistently been #1 or #2 all season in all categories. These guys are solid... Our offense was a little off last week, with Tony Soto out the offense is a little different than it is with him in there. I would like to see Jacob Chaney pick it up a little bit, I am thinking about playing Julio Romero a little more: Chaney .242-5-35 (in 285 Ab's), Romero .303-3-23 (in 132 AB's). Romero just doesn't hit righties well.

and the spin off:

Old 10-18-2013, 12:18 PM   #213
illeracula
Hall Of Famer

Week 19

Current Week: 3-3 (75-41 - GB 1st (+2))
Next Week: 4 vs Newark Millers, 3 @ Ocean City Tourists
Power Ranking: 2 (-1)
Fan Interest: 70

Game 111
Annapolis 7, Norfolk 5
Karl Armstrong (10-7) just didn't have it, giving up 6 first inning runs, and only going 1.2 innings for the game. Karl walked 3, gave up 3 hits and 6 runs. Jose Villa pitched 4.1 innings of relief, allowing 1 run, and Bill Lee pitched 3 shut-out innings. The offense is still sluggish, getting 6 hits, 3 of which were by Tomas Reyes. Ron Alder had 2 RBI.

Game 112
Annapolis 1, Norfolk 4
Carlos Mateo (15-4) went 8 strong innings, allowing 3 hits and 1 run, before handing the game over to Carlos Rodriquez for the save (28). The offense had 10 hits today, 3 by Jesus Rivera and 2-each by Brian Cline and Jose Rodriquez. Mauro Candelaria hit a lead-off HR (7).

Game 113
Georgetown 7, Norfolk 9
Tsueno Sato (15-6) didn't have his best stuff, but got some support from the offense, going 6 innings, allowing 10 hits and 6 hits. Carlos Rodriquez picked up the save (29) with a perfect 9th. The offense stroked 14 hits, with 5 players getting 2-eac h. Roberto Perez had 2 hits and 2 RBI, Brian Cline had 2 hits, including a HR (21) and Jesus Rivera added 3 RBI. Roberto Perez stole 2 bases, raising his season total to 30, he is now 2 HR's away from becoming the 2nd 30-30 man in the DelMarVa history.

Game 114
Georgetown 4, Norfolk 0
Sun Ho (5-4) probably went 2/3 of an inning too long, pitching 8 shut-out innings, before him and Ron Harris gave up 4 runs (2 a piece) in the 9th to break the tie. The offense was stymied getting 3-hits on the day. Roberto Perez had a double for the only extra base hit of the 3.

Injury News: Brian Cline was removed from the game in the 9th getting injured on a collision at first. We await the results, hopefully its nothing too bad... Pablo Freitas returns in 2-weeks so losing another bopper might be hard to overcome.

Game 115
Georgetown 0, Norfolk 13
Don Sweetapple (11-4) does what he does best, pithced all 9, allowing 3 hits and striking out 8. The offense went crazy, making up for the lack of offense last game, slugging 13 hits. Roberto Perez lead the way going 3-5 with 3 runs and 2 RBI. Tomas Reyes added a 3-run HR (8) and 4 RBI total. Jose Rodriquez added 2 hits, including a HR (14) and 2 runs and 2 RBI.

Game 116
Georgetown 9, Norfolk 3
Karl Armstrong (10-8) bookend'ed the week with another poor performance. Going 6 innings, allowing 14 hits and 6 runs. This being his first full season as a starter, he may be showing signs of fatigue. Jose Villa gave up 2 runs in 2.1 innings of relief, he seems to be struggling some. 3 of the Cavaliers 7 hits came from lead-off man Mauro Candelaria, who had a 3-4 day with 2 runs. Ron Alder stole base #49 on the season.

Free-Agents: We reached out to Kendrick Lynch and offered him a contact for the rest of this season. Lynch hit .271-0-55 last season and had no interest this season. He is 33 years old and decent hitting ratings (no power). Surprised he is still around... I also tooled around with reach out to Carlos Feliciano, our late season acquisition from last year, but decided against the 41 year old.

Players of the Week:
Delaware: Emilio Roman, Milford Clippers, 9-13 3 HR, 4 RBI, 5 Runs
MarVa: Kent Davis, Baltimore Barons, 15-28, 4 RBI

Major Injuries:
Jorge Sanchez, Ellicott City Express, one of their top hitters, for this struggling team, will miss the rest of the season with torn ankel tendons. On the season Sanchez has put up some solid numbers: .293-18-59

Power Rankings:
1) Washington Senators (119.3)
2) Norfolk Cavaliers (117.4)
3) Chesapeake Blue Crabs (108.0)
4) Ocean City Tourists (103.4)
5) Annapolis Admirals (102.5)

GM Thoughts/Notes: The Senators matched us once again, as we continue to hold a 2-game lead. Which means we had an opportunity to add some distance between us, but didn't advantage... Armstrong is starting to worry me with his "good" starts coming fewer and further between... Roberto Perez hasn't homered in 13 games, but is hitting .356 since being acquired... We have 46 games left, and I will need someone to step up and take over, lead us to the division title. Sweetapple and Perez can't do it on their own... With these injuries our once "potent" looking lineup is starting to look weak... Not including Roberto Perez who was picked up at the all-star break we have 0 regulars hitting over .300 (Alder .298, Candy .294).

and the spin off:

Old 10-18-2013, 01:32 PM   #214
illeracula
Hall Of Famer

Week 20

Current Week: 1-6 (76-47 -1 GB, 2nd)
Next Week: 3 vs Baltimore Barons, 3 vs Chesapeake Blue Crabs
Power Ranking: 6 (-4)
Fan Interest: 71 (+1)

Game 117
Newark 1, Norfolk 4
Carlos Mateo went 8.2 innings, allowing only 1 hit and 1 run (0 ER) while striking out 7. Carlos Rodriquez closed the door for the save (30). The offense was lead by Joe Payne, filling in for Brian Cline, with a 3-4 day. Jose Rodriquez and Tomas Reyes each added solo-HR's (15,9)

Game 118
Newark 3, Norfolk 1
Tsuno Sato (15-7) threw the ball well, but got no support from his offense, going 7 innings, allowing 3 runs (2 ER) on 8 hits. Gilberto Ramos had 2 of the teams 6 hits. Ron Alder drove in Pat Shelton in the 3rd for the teams only run.

Injury News: The call came in. Brian Cline will be out 5-6 weeks. That means he "might" be back for the playoffs, if we can hold off the Senators. He strained his hamstring during the collision. Cline has been our leading powerman since Frietas went out. .278-22-83, he was having a break out season, and will be missed.

Transactions: With our minor league talent thinning and no answer from Kendrick Lynch, we brought up the #41 prospect in the game, Augusto Rodriquez. Rodriquez will be put in the line to play SS, moving Mauro Candelaria over to 1B. Rodriquez is only 21 and this might be a little early for him, but I felt like the move was necessary. He is an elite SS, and should do a decent job with the stick.

Game 119
Newark 5, Norfolk 3
Sun Ho (ND) went 5.2 innings, giving up 1 run on 4 hits, to continue throwing the ball well, but Dalton Whitaker (6-4) continued his struggles giving up 4 runs on 3 hits, including a game-deciding granny. The offense was quiet once again scoring 3 times on 8 hits. Ron Alder, Jacob Chaney and Chris Shopland each had 2 hits.

Game 120
Newark 8, Norfolk 1
Don Sweetapple (11-5) took the loss, but it wasn't his fault as the offense took the day off, as did the bullpen. Sweetapple went 7.1 innings allowing 2 runs on 7 hits and he struck out 10. The bullpen combined to give up 6 runs, with Ron Harris taking the brunt of it (5 hits, 3 runs, .1 IP). Six separate players had 1-hit for the Cav's. The only run was a solo-HR by Roberto Perez (29).

Injury News: Pablo Freitas has suffered a set-back and will be disabled another 2 weeks, delaying his return into September. Freitas hasn't played since July 25th. He was having a solid season before the injury leading the team in HR's and RBI's .245-18-70

Game 121
Norfolk 8, Ocean City 14
Karl Armstrong (10-9) didn't have it once again, going 3.2 innings, allowing 7 hits and 8 runs. Ron Harris was awful in the pen as well, giving up 5 runs on 2 hits and 3 walks. At least the offense showed some signs of life, getting 11 hits. Jesus Rivera had a 3-4 day, Pat Shelton had a 2-4 day with 2 runs. Chris Shopland hit a solo-HR (3).

Game 122
Norfolk 3, Ocean City 6
Carlos Mateo (ND) didn't bring his a-game today, but the bullpen didn't help him out either. Jose Villa (2-3) gave up 2 runs in 2 innings, and Dalton Whitaker gave up 2 runs in 1.2 innings. The offense had 10 hits, including 3 by Ron Alder, including a HR (6), 2 by Jacob Chaney, including a HR (6) and a 2-4 day in his debut by Augusto Rodriquez.

Game 123
Norfolk 5, Ocean City 8
Tsuneo Sato (15-8) just didn't have it today, going 3.2 innings, allowing 6 hits and 6 runs. Ron Harris gave up 2 more runs in 1 inning of relief. The offense did slug 10 hits, but 4 of them came from Jose Rodriquez, who wen 4-5 with 3 RBI and 3 Runs, including a HR (16). Chris Shopland added 2 hits.

Players of the Week:
Delaware: Pete MacCammon, Wilmington Iron Pigs, 7-22, 3 HR, 7 RBI
MarVa: Alberto Trujillo, Annapolis Admirals, 10-26, 5 HR, 11 RBI

Major Injuries:
Juan Alvarez, Lewes Braves, will be out 8-9 months after suffering a broken knee cap on 8/19. On the season he was hitting .301-12-38. The Braves will miss him as they try to hold off the Brewers.

Power Rankings:
1) Annapolis Admirals (119.0)
2) Chesapeake Blue Crabs (118.8)
3) Washington Senators (1116.7)
4) Ocean City Tourists (111.9)
5) Lewes Braves (103.2)
6) Norfolk Cavaliers (101.6)

GM Thoughts/Notes: Losing 6 in row is never a good thing. The Senator took advantage of our losses and took a 1 game lead over us. That is a 3-game swing this week... It seems like the news of Brian Cline being out for an extended period has took some wind from out sails. He means a lot in that club-house... This was a rough week, we fell out of the top-5 in the power rankings, we fell out of first and we are no longer #1 in runs allowed! Some how our bullpen ERA is still #1, which goes to show you had great they did at the beginning of this year... As the GM I am starting to get nervous, since these injuries and falters are starting to show our lack of ML ready depth. Next week Armstrong is going to be skipped in the rotation some extra time off might do him some good. We need to turn this ship around before it gets too far out of hand... oddly enough we hit a wall last week and our fan interest gained a point. Go figure, lol.

and the spin off:

Old 10-18-2013, 02:40 PM   #215
illeracula
Hall Of Famer

Week 21

Current Week: 2-4 (78-51 - GB, 1st (+1/2)
Next Week: 2 vs Richmond Cardinals, 4 @ Lewes Braves
Power Ranking: 5 (+1)
Fan Interest: 70 (-1)

Transactions: Kendrick Lynch finally said he is game on for joining the team, we placed him on the active roster and optioned Gabriel Rios down to AAA. Rios has his first taste of ball, but only got in 2 games and went 1-2 while up here. At 30-years old and free-agency impending this might of been his only cup ever (he may came back up in Sept).

Lineup Changes: I made some tweaks to the offense and defense hopefully this will help us out. Roberto Perez had been moved from 3B to DH (.903 PCT @ 3B since joining us). Tomas Reyes moves from 2nd to 3rd, Jesus Rivera moves from DH to 2nd. For the lineup. I dropped Candelaira out of the leadoff slot and moved Ron Alder up to leadoff, Roberto Perez is up from #3 to #2, Candy will hit #3.

Game 124
Baltimore 5, Norfolk 3
Sun Ho (5-5) pitched well over 7.2 innings, but the offense continued to flounder. Ho gave up 5 runs (4 ER) on 10 hits. The offense managed to bang out 5 hits, lead by Pat Shelton and his 2-3 day. Maruo Candlaria had 2 RBI's. Roberto Perez went 0-5 in the #2 hole.

Game 125
Baltimore 8, Norfolk 5
Don Sweetapple (ND) didn't have his best stuff, but kept the Cav's in it, going 6.2 innings, giving up 14 hits and 5 runs. Elmer Hawkins (2-2) gave up a solo-HR in 1/3 of an inning, before leaving, and Ron Harris gave up 4 hits and 2 runs. The offense showed a little more life, slugging 7 hits, and scoring 5 times. Agusto Rodriquez lead the offense with a 2-3 day. Kendrick Lynch went 1-3 in his debut. Jose Rodriquez had 2 runs scores. Ron Alder stole base #50. Roberto Perez is now 0-8 in the #2 hole.

Injury News: Elmer Hawkins one of our top guys in the pen, left the game with an injury. He will miss about a week... Due to his injury I am not going to be able to skip Karl Armstrong, I didn't think I should put him on the 15-day for 5 day injury, so I will push Armstrong back 2 starts, and everyone else will be starting on short rest. We will see how that goes. My plan was to start a member of the bullpen, but being down one man, I didn't think it would be wise.

Game 126
Baltimore 7, Norfolk 4
Carlos Mateo (16-5) pitching on short rest, had a decent outing, giving up 6 runs on 11 hits. Jose Villa threw the final 3.1 innings giving up 1 run (I almost started Villa this game). The offense had 10 singles, lead by Ron Alder, Roberto Perez and Jacob Chaney, each with 2.

Game 127
Chesapeake 2, Norfolk 0
Tsueno Sato (15-9) went 8 innings allowing 1 run on 7 hits, while striking out 7. The offense was once again off, only able to get 3 hits, 2 by Patrick Shelton, one by Roberto Perez.

Game 128
Chesapeake 2, Norfolk 4
The losing streak is over at 10! Sun Ho (6-5) went 6.2 innings, allowing 2 runs on 7 hits, he gave up 2-solo HR's. Dalton Whitaker pitched a perfect inning and a third, striking out 2 and Carlos Rodriquez got the save with a perfect 9th (32). The offense wasn't all that, getting 7 hits, but did score 4 times, which was more than the Crabs scored, and thats all that matters. Roberto Perez was the offensive star going 2-4 with a 3 RBI, including a hr (30). Joe Payne and Mauro Candelaria each had doubles.

Milestones: With his 30th HR Roberto Perez became only the 2nd player, in DelMarVa League history (3 years) to join the 30/30 club. He joins his teammate Roberto Freitas, who did it in 2013. Perez now had 30 HR's and 35 SB's. Can he do 40/40? With 4 weeks left, it will be tough.

Game 129
Chesapeake 2, Norfolk 4
Karl Armstrong (11-9) pitched that and extra 3-days off is what he needed. Going 8 innings, allowing 2 runs on 6 hits. Ron Harris pitched the 9th for the save (2). The offense was lead by Ron Alder, Jose Rodriquez and Jesus Rivera each who had 2 hits. Tomas Reyes added a 2-run HR (10). Ron Alder stole base number 52, he is now 8 shy of the record.

Players of the Week:
Delaware: Peter Peters, New Castle Colonials, 11-22, 3 HR, 5 RBI
MarVa: Steve Williams, Annapolis Admirals, 16-32, 3 HR, 7 RBI

Power Rankings:
1) Annapolis Admirals (117.2)
2) Ocean City Tourists (112.2)
3) Wilmington Iron Pigs (107.3)
4) Lewes Braves (106.9)
5) Norfolk Cavaliers (104.8)

GM Thoughts/Notes: Our Defensive Eff has continued to drop, which is one reason why we moved Perez out of the field, but we are still #1 at .700. We were up to .714 at our high... We are now #2 in runs and #2 in runs against. I can live with that, but I would really like to be #1 in runs against. Our staff has just hit a ROUGH patch... We lost 10 straight, and reclaimed first. Seems like Washington and us have hit a wall at the same time, lucky for us. Next week will be a tough week for us, after we play Richmond we start September off with 4 games in Lewes... We will bring up some guys to help out our staff, but we are really thin. Edgar Matsuda who was brought in the help solidify the pen, before being sent down to AAA is out for the season with an arm injury. We will see who we have to call-up... These are times that really try your patience. If this was earlier in the season I would of been tempted to blow up the team, or take that trade from Anthony Cunningham. Injuries and slumps are just so unpredictable. Getting Freitas back might help, but he has been out a while, so who knows how long it will take him to get back into the swing of things. The final 33!!!

and the spin off:

Old 10-21-2013, 12:33 PM   #216
illeracula
Hall Of Famer

August 2015 In Review

Delaware Conference

Batter of the Month: Peter Peters, New Castle Colonials
When Peter Peters stepped up to the plate in August, he did it with confidence and today he was honored with the Delaware Conference Batter of the Month award. The young New Castle right fielder posted a .352 batting average with 9 home runs, 20 RBIs and scored 19 runs. Peters also worked pitchers for 22 walks to post a .477 on-base percentage. In 2015 Peters has hit at a .293 clip with 133 hits, 32 home runs, 76 RBIs and has scored 101 times.

Pitcher of the Month: Colin McRankin, Wilmington Iron Pigs
Veteran Colin McRankin put together quite a successful stretch in August for the Wilmington Iron Pigs, earning himself the Delaware Conference Pitcher of the Month award. McRankin racked up a 5-0 record in 6 starts, posting a 2.43 ERA over 40.2 innings and striking out 33. This year McRankin has compiled a 10-9 record with a 4.10 ERA.

Rookie of the Month: Emilio Roman, Milford Clippers
Emílio Román's eyes seem to light up whenever he sees the baseball. The young Milford first baseman has been hitting everything in sight for the better part of a month. In August he was voted the Rookie of the Month Award. During the month he hit .560 with 2 doubles, no triples and 7 home runs. Román also scored 9 times and drove in 9 runs. This year Román has hit at a .259 pace and produced 25 RBIs, 14 home runs and scored 25 runs.

MarVa Conference

Batter of the Month: Anthony Cunningham, Ocean City Tourists
Seasoned by several years of professional experience, 28-year-old Anthony Cunningham put together a solid offensive month for Ocean City and was crowned August's top batter in the MarVa Conference. He batted .327 with 10 home runs, 28 RBIs and 27 runs scored. In his season totals, Cunningham has 46 home runs, .359 BA, .460 OBP, 119 RBIs and 114 runs scored. He has played in 131 games.

Pitcher of the Month: Jorge Moran, Chesapeake Blue Crabs
Jorge Morán took a much-deserved turn in the spotlight earlier today as he accepted the MarVa Conference Pitcher of the Month award for August. The 25-year-old Blue Crabs starter is a relative newcomer to the league, but nonetheless racked up an impressive 5-0 won-lost record in 6 starts. This month he fanned 34 batters in 43.2 innings and compiled a 1.44 ERA. This season Morán has a 16-6 mark in 26 starts with a 3.25 ERA. He has given up 148 hits in 177 innings, struck out 143 and issued 59 walks. Opposing clubs have compiled a .225 batting average against him.

Rookie of the Month: Totoya Ogawa, Chesapeake Blue Crabs
Totoya Ogawa is a latecomer to this league. The 30-year-old Chesapeake first baseman is putting up quality numbers, even though he's not your traditional rookie. On the heels of posting a .278 average, the MarVa Conference named him August's Rookie of the Month. He hit 8 home runs last month, knocking in 20 runs and scoring 20 runs. He banged out 25 hits and drew 29 walks to post a .455 OBP. Ogawa is hitting .292 so far this season with 80 RBIs and 89 runs scored. He has 134 hits including 33 home runs, 95 walks and .415 OBP.

League Leaders (as of September 1)
Delaware Division:
AVG: Bruce Walker (Lewes Braves) .333
HR: Billy Moore (Milford Clippers) 43
RBI: Billy Moore (Milford Clippers) 115
SB: Jeff Lewis (Newark Millers) 40

W: Marcos Estrada (Wilmington Iron Pigs) 18
ERA: James McLaughlin (Newark Miller) 2.11
K: Marcos Estrada (Wilmington Iron Pigs) 195
SV: Otik Duffek (Milford Clippers) 36

Marva Division:
AVG: Steve Williams (Annapolis Admirals) .379
HR: Anthony Cunningham (Ocean City Tourists) 46*
RBI: Roberto Perez (Baltimore Barons) 124
SB: Ron Alder (Norfolk Cavaliers) 52

W: Miguel Contreras (Ocean City Tourists) 17*
ERA: Jose Matos (Chesapeake Blue Crabs) 3.16*
K: Barney Bulter (Washington Senators) 173
SV: Bill Fox (Ocean City Tourists) 42

League Records:
AVG: Peter Peters (New Castle Colonials, 2014) .359
HR: Billy Moore (Milford Clippers, 2014) 64
RBI: Billy Moore (Milford Clippers, 2014) 162
SB: Francisco Durango (Georgetown Sixteens, 2013) 60

W: Jerry Copeland (Dover Generals, 2014) 21
ERA: Marcos Estrada (Wilmington Iron Pigs, 2014) 1.92
K: Marcos Estrada (Wilmington Iron Pigs, 2013) 257
SV: Michael Willard (Washington Senators, 2013) 50

Standings (as of August 3rd)

The Lewes Braves made it clear that the Southern Division is theirs by pulling away from and now own a 9.5 game lead. This division fight seems over... In the Northern Division, the Wilmington Iron Pigs turned the division over again and now own a 3-game lead over New Castle. This is still anyone's division, but look for New Castle and Wilmington to be in a fight to the end. New Castle is starting to play much better of late... The 3-team race in the Eastern Division remains, with Annapolis coming from 2 down to take a 2-game lead. I think the Blue Crabs and the Tourists still have a shot, but the way Annapolis is playing it will be tough. The Blue Crabs are my team to click in September... And in the Western Division the Cav's and Senators are trying to figure out who can play the worse and still win the division. The Senators own a 1/2 game lead, but have been playing much better ball the my injury plagued Cavaliers. I still have faith that this team can turn it around, but missing Cline and Soto might be too much to overcome.

Key Divisional Games Up Coming:
Wilmington vs New Castle 3-games
Wilmington vs Newark 4-games
New Castle vs Newark 3 games
Annapolis vs Ocean City 4-games
Chesapeake vs Annapolis 3-games
Ocean City vs Chesapeake 4-games
Norfolk vs Senators 3-games

Norfolk July Recap

August was understandable our worse month of the year, losing Freitas, Soto and Cline means our offense is down. Our pitching has done great all year and now we have 3 or 4 guys in slumps. Pitchers might be getting tired, might have to work a 6th starter in there to give some of these guys an extra day off here and there, but at the same time try to stay hot enough to keep pace with Washington.

Monthly Records:
April 16-6
May 15-12
June 17-10
July 17-9
August 13-15

Our pitching has been shaky of late, and it will be interesting to see how they will perform in September. Hopefully the "slumps" are over and we can focus on winning some games. We have a pretty tough schedule ahead of us. We will play a role in the Eastern Division final as we play Chesapeake 4 times and Ocean City 2. But we finish the season with 8 of our last 11 games against last place teams.

Our offense won't be able to manage many more injuries. Freitas will be back this week and Cline will miss most of this month, but we could finish the season with our Cline and Freitas in the lineup. We will miss Soto's bat, but getting 2 of the 3 back will be a huge help.

Having Scott Smith on the 60-day DL hurt us more than we would of thought at the beginning of the season. He would of been a nice #5/6 pitcher, but now we are going to rely on our starting 5 and a late season free-agent signing to get us over the hump.

This should be a fun finish the season.

and the spin off:

Old 10-21-2013, 03:51 PM   #217
illeracula
Hall Of Famer

Week 22

Current Week: 4-2 (82-53 - GB, 1st (+1.5)
Next Week: 4 @ Milton Brewers, 3 vs Washington Senators
Power Ranking: 3 (+2)
Fan Interest: 59 (-1)

Game 130
Richmond 6, Norfolk 5 (10 innings)
Don Sweetapple (ND) went 7.1 innings, but couldn't get the job doing, giving up 10 hits and 5 runs and only striking out 3. Ron Harris (2-2) took the loss giving up a solo-HR to start the 10th after throwing 1.2 innings of shut-out ball. The offense was lead by Roberto Perez and his 3-hits. Mauro Candelaria and Jose Rodriquez added 2 hits, and Ron Alder (7) and Pat Shelton (8) each hit HR's.

September Calls-Ups: I am only bringing up 2 guys right now and depending on how the rest of the Yokohama (AAA) season goes maybe one more (2B Yasutoki Ine). We just don't have many "ready" players... For now Gabriel Rios will be joining the club once again. Just in case its nice to have another bat on the bench, and pitcher Justin Fresi. I signed Fresi as a starting pitcher to help-out in case of injuries, but our manager in Yokohama has been using him as the closer (and not a very good one). He probably doesn't deserve to be up, but he is our best option without depleting AAA too much. Fresi is rated fairly ok Stuff: 12/12, Movement: 10/10, Control: 12/12, but just hasn't had any success wherever he has gone. Hopefully that will change this month.

Game 131
Richmond 4, Norfolk 7
Carlos Mateo (17-5) is now 2 wins away from tying the Franchise record for wins, after a 6.1 inning performance, where he gave up 3 runs on 7 hits. Carlos Rodriquez pitched the 9th for the save (32). The offense slugged out 12 hits, with Jose Rodriquez leading the way with a 4-4 day. Ron Alder added 2. Jacob Chaney lead the team with 2 RBI and Roberto Perez and Rodriquez scored 2 times. Ron Alder stole base #53 moving 7 away from a league record.

Transactions News: Pablo Freitas is ready to come back and play... I put him on the active roster and moved him into CF, placing Pat Shelton back on the bench. I figure an adjusting Frietas is better than a healthy Shelton (hopefully). Shelton will now be backup for all outfielders. Freitas will bat 5th, moving everyone else down, Shelton was the #9 hitter.

Game 132
Norfolk 3, Lewes 2
Tsuno Sato (16-9) threw a solid 8 innnings, giving up only 3 hits and 2 runs, 2 solo-HR's, to take home the win and Carlos Rodrqiuez threw the 9th for the save (33). Pablo Fretias lead the offense with his first HR (19) since his return, going 1-4 with 2 RBI. Jose Rodriquez added the other RBI and Jacob Chaney 2 hits.

Game 133
Norfolk 8, Lewes 3
Sun Ho (7-5) took home the win going 6 innings, giving up 2 runs on 5 hits. Ho also added 2 hits and 3 RBI to help his cause. Pabl Freitas had a 3-5 day with 2 runs, as he is adding some spark to this lineup since his return. Tomas Reyes, Chris Shopland and Ron Alder each added 2-hits. Jose Rodriquez hit a solo-HR (17).

Game 134
Norfolk 4, Lewes 3
Karl Armstrong (12-9) threw 6 solid innings, allowing 4 hits and 2 runs, before giving way to the bullpen. A combined 4 pitchers threw the final 3 innings to preserve the win, Carlos Rodriquez took home the save (34). Pat Shelton lead the offense with a 2-run double and Roberto Perez added 2-hits, for an offense that wasn't very exciting.

Game 135
Norfolk 2, Lewes 5
Don Sweetapple (11-6) had a rough first inning, giving up 3 runs, but followed it up with 6 solid ones, going 7 innings on the day, allowing 3 runs on 9 hits. Ron Harris gave up 2 runs in 1/3 of an inning, on 0 hits and 1 walk. Pablo Fretias lead the offense going 3-3 with a run and RBI. Roberto Perez and Mauro Candelaria each added 2-hits.

Players of the Week:
Delaware: Keith White, Milton Brewers, 2-0 8 K's, 17 innings, 0.00 ERA
MarVa: Francisco Vargas, Chesapeake Blue Crabs, 9-19, 3 HR's, 8 RBI, 9 Runs

Major Injuries:
Totoya Ogawa, Chesapeake Blue Crabs, the reigning Rookie of the Month was hurt and will be sent to the DL. He will be out 6 weeks, in essence ending his regular season. Ogawa is still the front runner to bring home the Rookie of the Year, but the Blue Crabs will miss him in their line-up as they try to track down the Admirals. On the Season Ogawa is .289-33-83

Power Rankings:
1) Annapolis Admirals (114.7)
2) Chesapeake Blue Crabs (110.7)
3) Norfolk Cavaliers (110.3)
4) Ocean City Tourists (102.2)
5) Newark Millers (101.3)

GM Thoughts/Notes: The return of Pablo Freitas added a nice little spark to the lineup, as he went 8-16 with 2 doubles, 1 homer, 5 runs and 3 RBI. Maybe moving him back to the 5th hole, instead of the 2 or 3 has taken some pressure off him as well. Either way its nice to have him back in the lineup... We now have a 1.5 game lead over the Senators with a HUGE 3-game series against them at the end of the coming week. 3 games at home could determine our season. This is the last time we play them on the season... We are still #2 in runs against and runs scored, which shows the balance of this team. I am actually shocked that we are that high on both, just seems like we have had some really bad weeks scoring and/or pitching. Starters are #2 and bullpen is #1 in ERA. We have had 1 or 2 guys really struggle lately out of the pen. Defensively I thought moving Roberto Perez from 3rd would of been a good thing, but we dropped to #2 and are now at .701. My goal is to be over .700, we didn't do it last season, and its going to be close this season. Was Tony Soto really that big of factor on our defense?... With 3 games against the Senators, this might be our biggest week of the rest of the season.

and the spin off:

Old 10-21-2013, 05:58 PM   #218
illeracula
Hall Of Famer

Week 23

Current Week: 1-6 (83-59 4.5 GB, 2nd)
Next Week: 4 vs Chesapeake Blue Crabs, 3 vs Richmond Cardinals
Power Ranking: 8 (-5)
Fan Interest: 69 (-1)
Owners Mood: Delighted (dropped)

Game 136
Norfolk 1, Milton 2
Carlos Mateo (17-6) threw a great game, but was unable to get any help from his offense. Mateo went 7 innings, giving up 2 runs on 6 hits. The offense was held to 4 singles. Ron Alder singled, stole second and was knocked in by a single by Roberto Perez for the only offensive highlight. Alder is now 5 SB's away from the record.

Milestones: Today marked the first time in 43 games that Steve Williams didn't get a hit. A hitting streak that will be the mark to be chased for a long time to come. The first hitting streak over 30 games in the league.

Game 137
Norfolk 1, Milton 2
Tsuneo Sato (ND) therw 7 innings that in most games would give him a win, giving up 1 run on 3 hits. Elmer Hawkins (2-3) took the loss giving up a run scoring single in the 8th. The offense was even worse than the day before only getting 3 singles, all in the 3rd, to account for the only run. Jacob Chaney, Augusto Rodriquez, Roberto Perez.

Injury News: Roberto Perez, our top hitter, goes down for 2-3 weeks after getting hurt in the 3rd on a fielding play. Perez was a key acquisition to our run and has kept us afloat during the big injuries... but now he is one. This injury couldn't come a worse time as we are heading into Washington in a couple of days in a series that may control the outcome of the season.... Roberto Perez is leading the league in WAR at this point with 8.9.

Game 138
Norfolk 2, Milton 1
Sun Ho (8-5) pitched another great game and was lucky enough to get the win. Ho went 7 innings, allowing 2 hits and 1 run (0 ER). Carlos Rodriquez pitched the 9th for the save (35). Chris Shopland lead the offense with 2-hits, scoring on a frist inning double by Pablo Freitas. Jacob Chaney doubled in the 6th and scored on a Sun Ho single in the 6th.

Game 139
Norfolk 0, Milton 3
Karl Armstrong (12-10) took home a frustrating loss, as the offense was quiet once again. Armstrong went 6 innings, giving up 2 hits, 6 walks, and 1 run. Dalton Whitaker gave up 2 runs in 2 innings of relief. Another down day by the offense, seems like the wind has been taken from our sails, only able to get 5 hits, 4 singles and a double. Pablo Freitas was 1-2 with 2 walks to lead the offense.

Milestones: Abraham Thomas, of the Washington Senators, hit homerun #48, breaking the MarVa Conference HR record.

On the season the Senators are 3-8 versus the Cavaliers. Lets hope that is a sign of good things to come... wish we had some momentum...

Game 140
Washington 6, Norfolk 5
Don Sweetapple (ND) had an average start, but left with the game tied, going 7 innings giving up 8 hits and 5 runs, including 2 HR's. Ron Harris (2-3) gave up 2 hits and a run in the 8th, which turned out to be the deciding run. The offense showed a little life, getting 11 hits and scoring 5 times! They were lead by Ron Alder and his 3-5 day, as well as 2-hit days by Jacob Chaney and Gilberto Ramos. Pablo Freitas hit a solo-HR (20) in the 2nd. Ron Alder stole #57.

Game 141
Washington 15, Norfolk 7
Carlos Mateo (17-7) got roughed up in 3.1 innings of work, giving up 6 runs on 7 hits and 2 HR's. Jose Villa followed by giving up 4 runs in 1.2 innings and Elmer Hawkins gave up 4 runs on 5 hits in 1.1 innings. Today pitching was the problem, as the offense slugged out 13 hits, 12 singles. Julio Romero, Ron Alder and Mauro Candelaria all had 3-hits. Romero had the only extra base hit, a double. Ron Alder stole #58 moving within 2 of the record.

Game 142
Washington 4, Norfolk 3
Tsuneo Sato (16-10) took the loss, but had a decent game, going 6.2 innings allowing 7 hits and 4 runs (2 HR's). Pat Shelton lead the offense with a 2 hit day, and 6 other Cav's had one a piece. Gilberto Ramos hit a solo-HR (3) in the 2nd. We put the ball in play, but couldn't string anything together, leaving 7 men on and only striking out 3 times. We really could of used this game...

Players of the Week:
Delaware: Marvin Martin, Newark Millers, 12-17 1 HR, 3 RBI
MarVa: Francisco Vargas, Chesapeake Blue Crabs, 16-28, 2 HR, 10 RBI

Power Rankings:
1) Washington Senators (121.8)
2) Chesapeake Blue Crabs (110.7)
3) Ocean City Tourists (110.5)
4) Annapolis Admirals (105.3)
5) Wilmington Iron Pigs (98.9)

Division Races:
Southern Division
Lewes Braves Magic #18
Milton Brewers -2.5

Northern Division
Wilmington Iron Pigs Magic #19
Newark Millers -1
Milford Clippers -2
New Castle Colonials -3.5

Eastern Division
Chesapeake Blue Crabs Magic #19
Annapolis Admirals -1
Ocean City Tourists -2.5

Western Division
Washington Senators Magic #16
Norfolk Cavaliers -4.5

GM Thoughts/Notes: Not much to say about this week, our pitching did what they had to do, but the offense didn't show up, and heading into a 4 game series with the Blue Crabs with this streak going, might mean the end of the season for us. If we can't score we can't win. Didn't realize how Tony Soto held this team together, at least that is what it is looking like now. We haven't had a full-line up for a while now and its starting to show. Role players can only do so much... Our offense is now #4 in runs scored. And we have at least 2 weeks left without Brian Cline and Roberto Perez. Hopefully we can keep it close till their return... Making the trade for Perez was a no brainer. Not making the trade for Cunningham might look like a huge mistake at this point. But without this pitching staff we wouldn't be where we are. Offense can only take you so far... At least we are getting a good look at Augusto Rodriquez, who will most likely be our starting SS next season. Rodriquez came up when Soto went down. We will make sure gets more at-bats over the rest of the season. In 11 games he is hitting .294-0-1 (10-34), and posting a ZR of 1.7 at SS... This week hit me hard, even the owner's mood dropped a notch, we were in a nice position to keep the Senators at bay and we just were off. We have to score runs, and with 3 of our middle of the lineup bats missing its going to be tough.

and the spin off:

Old 10-23-2013, 12:39 PM   #219
illeracula
Hall Of Famer

Week 24

Current Week: 3-3 (86-63 7 GB, 2nd)
Next Week: 2 @ Ocean City Tourists, 4 @ Ellicott City
Power Ranking: 6 (+2)
Fan Interest: 69
Owners Mood: Delighted

Game 143
Chesapeake 2, Norfolk 3 (10 innings)
Sun Ho (ND) continued his solid seasons going 6.2 innings allowing 2 runs on 5 hits, but the offense was unable to get him the win. Ron Harris (3-3) pitched the final 2.2 innings, giving up 1 hit for the win. The offense was lead by Ron Alder and Chris Shopland each with 2 hits, and Jose Rodriquez who hit a solo-HR (18). Alder stole base #59, moving 1 away from the league record.

Game 144
Chesapeake 2, Norfolk 3 (15 innings)
Karl Armstrong (ND) had one of his best gaves on the season, going 8 innings allowing just 1 run on 3 hits and striking out 11. Bill Lee (3-1) pitched the final 2.1 innings for the win. The Cav's offense was quiet all day, getting just 8 hits, and one extra base hit, and 9 walks, leaving 12 men on. Ron Alder and Chris Shopland each had 2 hits to lead the offense.

Game 145
Chesapeake 8, Norfolk 5
Don Sweetapple (ND) went 8 innings allowing 4 runs (3 ER) on 5 hits, but took the ND as Carlos Rodriquez failed to shut the door (BS 3) in the 9th. Carlos (0-5) didn't have his control today, walking 3 and giving up a grand-slam for the loss. Jacob Chaney lead the offense with a 2-4 day and 3 RBI, hitting a 3-run shot in the 7th (the only Cav's XB hit). Jose Rodriquez also had 2 hits.

Game 146
Chesapeake 2, Norfolk 0
Carlos Mateo (17-8) was a tough luck loser, going 7.1 innings allowing 2 runs on 5 hits while striking out 8. The offense just couldn't get anything going facing Jorge Moran one of the games best. The Cavs offense was held to 4 hits, with Mauro Candelaria getting 2 of them, including a double.

Game 147
Richmond 0, Norfolk 4
Tsuneo Sato (17-10) did what he had to get the win, holding the Cardinals to 0 runs, over 8.2 innings on 3 hits. Carlos Rodriquez got the last out for the save (36). The offense was lead by Pablo Freitas, 2 hits, a double and a HR (21), and Maruo Candelaria who added 2-hits of his own.

Game 148
Richmond 5, Norfolk 3
Sun Ho (8-6) went 5 innings, giving up 5 runs on 7 hits and 5 walks. The offense once again was quiet, getting 9 hits and leaving 10 men on base. Jose Rodriquez and Jacob Chaney each had 2 hits and Gilberto Ramos drove in 2 runs. Jose Villa was removed from the game in the 9th with what arm pain.

Game 149
Richmond 10, Norfolk 1
Karl Armstrong (12-11) got hit hard over his 2.2 innings of work, giving up 6 runs (4 ER) on 7 hits. Justin Fresi went 2.1 innings in relief giving up 3 runs on 3 hits, including 4 walks. The offense struggled again, getting just 6 hits and 8 walks, leaving 12 on base. Augusto Rodriquez went 2-4 to lead the offense.

Injury News: We got word that Jose Villa is out for 4-months with a shoulder impingement. Villa was acquired mid-season in a trade and put together a pretty decent season as a middle reliever. Posting a 0-1 record with a 3.27 ERA in 27 games. We expect him to play a role in our bullpen next season.

Top Performances:
Joaquin Torres, Lewes Braves, went 6-8, in a 9-8 15-inning loss. This is the first time in DelMarVa League history, that a player had 6 hits.

Players of the Week:
Delaware: Glenn Jenkins, Lewes Braves, 14-23 2 HR, 4 RBI
MarVa: Alberto Trujillo, Annapolis Admirals, 13-25, 5 HR, 11 RBI

Power Rankings:
1) Washington Senators (124.3)
2) Ocean City Tourists (112.1)
3) Wilmington Iron Pigs (102.9)
4) Annapolis Admirals (101.4)
5) Chesapeake Blue Crabs (98.1)
6) Norfolk Cavaliers (97.9)

Division Races:
Southern Division
Lewes Braves Magic #10
Milton Brewers -4.0

Northern Division
Wilmington Iron Pigs Magic #12
Newark Millers -2.0
Milford Clippers -3.0
New Castle Colonials -6.0

Eastern Division
Ocean City Tourists Magic #14
Chesapeake Blue Crabs Magic #14
Annapolis Admirals -0.5

Western Division
Washington Senators Magic #7
Norfolk Cavaliers -7.0

GM Thoughts/Notes: This month has been tough, and you can tell our offense is hurt by missing the power-men (Cline, Soto, Perez). So far in September we are 8-11 and will have a tough time catching Washington as they are now 7 games up on his and are red hit (9-1 in their last 10). Can't fault these guys as they have kept fighting, but its been tough... Our pitching has continued to perform as we are still #1 in runs against and #2 in Starters and Bullpen ERA. They have just been stellar. And this past week shows as they kept us in every game, but one, we just couldn't score... The defense has been all over the place but we are still #1... And as this week showed our offense had turned into a problem, we got a nice jolt when Perez came on board, but then Freitas and Soto went down and that hurt. Soto means a lot to this team. And now we are #5 (of 8) in runs scored... With 12 games left its going to be tough to catch the Senators, but I still have faith. But I'd be lying if I haven't started to think about next season and what this team may need. Changes will be happening, primarily because of budget issues. But I am not ready to focus on that just yet...

and the spin off:

Old 10-23-2013, 05:19 PM   #220
illeracula
Hall Of Famer

Week 25

Current Week: 4-2 (90-65 6 GB, 2nd)
Next Week: 4 vs Baltimore Barons, 3 vs Annapolis Admirals *Regular Season Ends*
Power Ranking: 3 (+3)
Fan Interest: 69
Owners Mood: Delighted

Game 150
Norfolk 3, Ocean City 9
Don Sweetapple (11-7) had a rough outing only going 3.2 innings allowing 7 runs (6 ER) on 8 hits. The offense was lead by Jose Rodriquez and his 3-4 day with a HR (19) and 2 RBI. Jacob Chaney and Ron Alder each added 2 hits, and Pat Shelton hit a HR (9). Ron Alder stole base #60 tying the league record for steals in a season.

Game 151
Norfolk 8, Ocean City 3
Carlos Mateo (18-8), is one win away from tying the team high set by Sweetapple 2 years ago, after going 7 solid innings, allowing 7 hits and 3 runs (0 ER). The offense had 14 hits, a number I don't remember seeing in a while. Ron Alder, Mauro Candelaria, Tomas Reyes, Jacob Chaney and Augusto Rodriquez all had 2 hits. Alder was thrown out trying to steal going for sole possession of the record for the 19th time this season.

Game 152
Norfolk 4, Ellicott City 2
Tsuneo Sato (18-10), is also one win away from tying the team high set by Sweetapple 2 years ago, Sato went 7.0 innings, allowing 1 run on 4 hits. Carlos Rodriquez pitched the 9th, striking out the side, for the save (37). The offense was lead by Mauro Candelaria and Chris Shopland, both with 2 hits. Mauro hit a 2-run HR (8) in the 3rd.

Game 153
Norfolk 3, Ellicott City 10
Sun Ho (8-7) got roughed up, going 4.2 innings, allowing 7 runs on 10 hits, including 3 HR's. Walter McNeal made his debut pitching the 9th, giving up 2 runs on 2 hits. Augusto Rodriquez and Mauro Candelaria lead the offense with 2 hits.

Game 154
Norfolk 5, Ellicott City 1
Karl Armstrong (13-11) got back into the swing of things going 8.1 strong innings allowing 1 run on 1 hit. Carlos Rodriquez pitched the final .2 for the save (38). The offense had 8 hits, all singles, lead by Mauro Candelaria 2-5 3 RBI and Tomas Reyes 2-3 1 RBI.

Transactions: Roberto Perez and Brian Cline were activated from the DL and moved right into the starting line. We looked forward to finishing up our season with them in the game. Might be too little too late, but we are glad they are back!

Game 155
Norfolk 5, Ellicott City 3
Don Sweetapple (12-7) had a solid 8 inning performance, giving up 3 runs on 7 hits (2 HR's) while striking out 9. Carlos Rodriquez threw a perfect 9th for the save (39). Roberto Perez was happy to be back going 4-5 with a double and 2 SB's. Ron Alder was happy to have him hitting behind him and Alder went 3-4 with 4 RBI and 2 HR's (9). Brian Cline went 1-3 in his return to the lineup.

Transactions: Called up the following players for the final week of the season 2B Yasutoki Ine, MR Andrew Donnelly, MR Joe Davis, C Bob Barrett and OF Bryan O'Neill. Not sure how much PT they will get.

Players of the Week:
Delaware: Alonso Reyna, Milton Brewers, 15-23, 2 HR, 8 RBI
MarVa: Dave McGill, Ellicott City Express, 10-24, 4 HR, 7 RBI

Power Rankings:
1) Washington Senators (116.5)
2) Chesapeake Blue Crabs (107.8)
3) Norfolk Cavaliers (106.5)
4) Ocean City Tourists (102.4)
5) Annapolis Admirals (99.7)

Division Races:
Southern Division
Lewes Braves Magic #3
Milton Brewers -5.0

Northern Division
Wilmington Iron Pigs Magic #7
Newark Millers -1.0
Milford Clippers -3.0
New Castle Colonials -5.0

Eastern Division
Chesapeake Blue Crabs Magic #5
Ocean City Tourists Magic -3.0
Annapolis Admirals -3.5

Western Division
Washington Senators Magic #2
Norfolk Cavaliers -6.0

GM Thoughts/Notes: We got Perez and Cline back, but with 7 games left, it seems like its going to be too late. We just couldn't score enough runs with them gone for the past 2+ weeks. I hate to blame injuries on us not making the playoffs, but there really is no denying it. When you lose 4 of your big bats for an extended period. Now we know our biggest weakness and it was exploited. Somethings to focus on in the off-season... I can't say enough about this pitching staff, they have kept us in almost every game this season. One hit here or there could of made a huge difference... This team had an incredible season and I am going to go into the final week thinking we still have a shot. I wish we had a 7-game series against the Senators, but we don't, so we will be rooting for the Sen's to lose. Its not over till its over...

Yokohama Baystars (AAA) were eliminated in the first round of the playoffs by the Trinidad Hummingbirds 3 games to 1.
Jacksonville Tritons (A) were eliminated in the first round of the playoffs by the Hartford Warriors 3 games to 2.

and the spin off: