Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > OOTP 19 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 19 - General Discussions Everything about the 2018 version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 03-10-2018, 07:36 AM   #1
ti6er
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Steam vs Direct Download

Will be my first OOTP (19). Was getting round to pre-ordering before I came across the conundrum of 'steam vs direct download'.

If it helps, this is the only game I will be playing and my device is a MacBook.
ti6er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 08:45 AM   #2
mitchkenn
Hall Of Famer

see this thread:

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...d.php?t=285427
"I saw a young man leaning on his wooden crutch - He called out to me, 'Don't ask for so much' And a young woman leaning in her darkened door She cried out to me, 'Why not ask for more?' " - Leonard Cohen
"Hello darkness, my old Friend ...." - Paul Simon
Before Mays, before DiMaggio, there was Oscar Charleston.
"All the lies about Babe Ruth are true." - Waite Hoyt

Avatar is the late great Townes Van Zandt. rip.
mitchkenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 09:36 AM   #3
ti6er
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchkenn View Post
Thanks for that - had seen that earlier but some nice points in there. Is the auto-updating really a big factor? Is it any less convenient to manually update?

Last edited by ti6er; 03-10-2018 at 09:47 AM.
ti6er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 10:23 AM   #4
mitchkenn
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ti6er View Post
Thanks for that - had seen that earlier but some nice points in there. Is the auto-updating really a big factor? Is it any less convenient to manually update?
once in a while, some updates do not work quite as expected ... some users like to wait a week or more before downloading new updates to make certain it doesn't mess up their game. With Steam, (at least in my settings) it auto updates as soon as you open the program.

So to some it is a big issue. Just something to be aware of.
"I saw a young man leaning on his wooden crutch - He called out to me, 'Don't ask for so much' And a young woman leaning in her darkened door She cried out to me, 'Why not ask for more?' " - Leonard Cohen
"Hello darkness, my old Friend ...." - Paul Simon
Before Mays, before DiMaggio, there was Oscar Charleston.
"All the lies about Babe Ruth are true." - Waite Hoyt

Avatar is the late great Townes Van Zandt. rip.
mitchkenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 10:28 AM   #5
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

If you don’t use Steam for other games, it makes sense to buy direct and give the company some extra profit while maintaining control over your update process.

FYI I use Steam or Blizzard for all of my games, but I still buy OOTP direct for reasons above.

Last edited by Orcin; 03-10-2018 at 10:30 AM.
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 11:50 AM   #6
ti6er
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcin View Post
If you don’t use Steam for other games, it makes sense to buy direct and give the company some extra profit while maintaining control over your update process.

FYI I use Steam or Blizzard for all of my games, but I still buy OOTP direct for reasons above.
Thank you for this, after mulling it over and looking at other threads I have come to the same conclusion.

It will be the sole game I play (so no need for a library, etc.) and it would be nice as you said to be in control over your game. Buying directly from the developers also feels crisper and comes with their custom benefits (add-ons, early access and such). And if I'm able to add a few extra coins into their coffers then that's all the better.
Old 03-10-2018, 12:58 PM   #7
Rosco Peabody
All Star Starter

I buy directly from them almost exclusively because I want them to get the extra money.
Rosco Peabody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 02:01 PM   #8
smiller
Major Leagues

I have Steam, but always buy direct from the company for reasons others have stated.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 02:41 PM   #9
demjansk1942
Minors (Single A)

I bought through Steam since it allows me to install and uninstall quickly
demjansk1942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 04:27 PM   #10
rastyk
Minors (Rookie Ball)

I hadn't noticed downloads from OOTP's site being slow. Realistically, the difference seems to be that Steam has Windows / OSX / AND Linux and the direct purchase has access to downloads central (and you have to choose 2 licenses to either PC/Mac OR Linux. Direct purchase pre-orders give you an advance beta copy on March 19 (tomorrow).
rastyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 05:18 PM   #11
Hoiles
All Star Reserve

The pros of direct download are mostly (1) the mods are better integrated (2) OOTP devs gets a bigger cut. The main advantage of Steam is the auto-install of updates, though some don’t like that. I actually have the Steam version because I like the pop-ups you get from achievements, which is a totally silly reason I guess.
Hoiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 06:09 PM   #12
demjansk1942
Minors (Single A)

Agree with all posts and I do buy direct on many games. However, on this one I had wallet money on Steam and decided to use it. Next year we will have ootp20.
demjansk1942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 08:14 PM   #13
Dargone
Hall Of Famer

I buy everything via STEAM except OOTP. Like others, I want Markus and company to get all the revenue.
I was never one to patiently pick up broken fragments and glue them together again and tell myself that the mended whole was as good as new. What is broken is broken -- and I'd rather remember it as it was at its best than mend it and see the broken places as long as I lived.-Margaret Mitchell
Dargone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 04:03 AM   #14
Caporegime
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dargone View Post
I buy everything via STEAM except OOTP. Like others, I want Markus and company to get all the revenue.
Same here, with one other exception: AGEod. They're another small company that caters to a niche market, only in their case it's strategy games.

I once loathed Steam, but these days I have such a huge investment in it (104 games) that I can't imagine gaming on my PC without it.
Old 03-20-2018, 07:33 AM   #15
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caporegime View Post
Same here, with one other exception: AGEod. They're another small company that caters to a niche market, only in their case it's strategy games.

I once loathed Steam, but these days I have such a huge investment in it (104 games) that I can't imagine gaming on my PC without it.
Nice to see another AGEod gamer here

I believe I have every game AGEod has ever made

lukas@ootpdevelopments.com

Order Out of the Park Baseball 25!

Need to upload files for us to check out? Instructions can be found here
Lukas Berger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 07:57 AM   #16
Tunnelrunner
Minors (Single A)

I do both. I buy the direct version to support Markus and the OOTP team AND I also buy the Steam version for my own reasons.

BTW, I have held off trying the beta because I'll be doing my seasonal campaign on Steam. It's taking a lot of self control.
Tunnelrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 12:23 PM   #17
Caporegime
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukas Berger View Post
Nice to see another AGEod gamer here

I believe I have every game AGEod has ever made
Nice! I don't have every game they've made, but the ones I do have I absolutely love and have played for hundreds of hours a piece, especially Civil War II & Wars in America. Heck, what other company would even consider making a strategy game based on the Russian revolution? AGEod is awesome.