Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > Perfect Team

Perfect Team Perfect Team 2.0 - The online revolution continues! Battle thousands of PT managers from all over the world and become a legend.

Old 12-01-2019, 05:49 PM   #1
allenciox
All Star Reserve

Top 10 reasons why you SHOULD be playing LIVE! tournaments

In the spirit of the old David Letterman top 10 lists, here goes:

10. Realism: Ok, in general, there is no way for most of these historical players to be able to play in a tournament --- they are DEAD! But it actually is theoretically possible for you to put together a team of great live players and play another team of great live players ---- in real life that could happen (and does, once a year).

9. Variety! There, I said it. The favorite tournament type, going by the number that are played, is bronze. But enter a bronze tournament, and the teams seem to be carbon copies of each other. Enter a live tourney of any flavor (open, silver, gold) and every team is different.

8. Cap tournaments that actually work! You know how every team you go up against in a cap tourney has Cy Young and Walter Johnson? They won't have them in live CAP tournies. In fact, the perfect live pitchers aren't much better than the diamond or even gold LIVE pitchers. My LIVE 1625 cap team doesn't feature any pitchers over gold level. And it is still competitive.

7. Winnable. Nobody has figured out a "meta" strategy yet that carries them through LIVE tournies. I have seen successful open live teams that don't contain a single perfect player. (hint: LIVE 75 Andrelton Simmons is almost as good as perfect Lindor). You can put together really competitive teams easily.

6. Pay homage to your favorite team. Put together a team of players composed largely of players on your favorite team. See how they do.

5. Your team can be composed of spare parts. You know how every pack you open has four or five live players in it? Likely your "inactive players" are 90% live. See what you can do with the parts you already have: how good a team can you put together without buying anything?

4. It's dirt cheap. Ok, you decide you want to really liven up your LIVE team and buy some off the AH. Well, guess what? You can get just about any player you want for little more than quick-sell value. And later on, if you want to try something else, or move away from LIVE tournies, guess what? You can quick-sell the players for very little net PP loss.

3.. Home run derbies. You know how so many of the historical teams are all about contact? Where's the long ball? Well, guarantee those games that feature players in this new "home run era" will hit some out of the park for you.

2. Collections. Put together a good LIVE team and you will find that there are some collections that give very nice rewards. Cash in some of those.

1. So that I have someone to play against and we can fill up some of these daily LIVE tournies. I mean... really... my Weston Pointe Caspers are specializing in all kinds of live tournaments, but often have to wait for them to fill up. Join us and let's have some fun!

Last edited by allenciox; 12-01-2019 at 05:51 PM.
allenciox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 08:48 PM   #2
dkgo
Hall Of Famer

I have a live gold team, every time I look to see if a tourney is close it's at like 2/16 players. Think I've actually played in it twice but did win once.
dkgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 07:59 PM   #3
Westheim
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenciox View Post
10. Realism: Ok, in general, there is no way for most of these historical players to be able to play in a tournament --- they are DEAD!
I stopped reading right there.

Resident Mets Cynic - The Mets from 1962 onwards, here.
Westheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 08:19 AM   #4
Lemandria
All Star Reserve

And the number one reason not to play in a live tournament:

You're a historical team with zero live cards. (Difficult to pass that roster sanity check.)

Last edited by Lemandria; 12-03-2019 at 08:22 AM.
Lemandria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 12:49 PM   #5
dbqs
Major Leagues

I do like some of these reasons! I just have way better historical cards than live cards. I'll have to give it a shot if I get bored/start losing more in gold historical. lol

dbqs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 01:27 PM   #6
Spartan68
Minors (Rookie Ball)

The biggest reason NOT to play them is you get basically nothing for winning them.
If there was a bigger payout I bet more would play them, its just a friendly past time to say I won.
Spartan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 03:04 PM   #7
Argonaut
All Star Starter

My teams are on cruise control now, but I'll be joining you in PT 3.0 in LIVE tourneys! One of my teams will be designated as the LIVE squad. Hmm.. maybe the Crayons.
Argonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 06:31 PM   #8
chazzycat
All Star Starter

Nice job bringing attention to the live tourneys. The daily one actually filled up for once and started!! Well done sir
chazzycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 09:15 AM   #9
Hertston
Major Leagues

My take, for what it's worth. I have two teams, one purely historical (pre-1950), set up that way back in Silver and the other Live cards only, that way from the off.

Obviously for the first, Live! tourneys are a non-starter. With the second I play only Gold Live! quick tourneys (and the odd capped to break the monotony) as the time/reward ratio is far better than anything else IMHO. My Silver is not as strong, and while Platinum is stronger the tourney availability is a lot less.