Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - Historical Simulations

OOTP 20 - Historical Simulations Discuss historical simulations and their results in this forum.

Old 08-19-2019, 10:27 PM   #1
Buster Cherry
Minors (Triple A)

The St. Louis Browns

I've decided to take on the impossible. Yes, I'm going to be GM for the St. Louis Browns beginning in 1902 when they moved to the Gateway City from Milwaukee. I'll see if I can build the Brownies into a respectable franchise instead of the sad sack outfit they became. So far, so good. I signed Rube Waddell as a free agent and traded for Tommy Leach from the Pirates and Joe McGinnity from the old Baltimore Orioles (whom the Browns later became). I also convinced OF Jesse Burkett to switch leagues from the crosstown Cardinals. So far, it appears I have a pretty strong lineup but games aren't won on paper. We shall see what we shall see.
Buster Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 03:26 AM   #2
tomp55
Bat Boy

It will be cool to see if you get matched up against the cards at any point (who by the way were formerly named the St. Louis Browns as well in the 1880's and 90's)
tomp55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 10:28 AM   #3
Buster Cherry
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomp55 View Post
It will be cool to see if you get matched up against the cards at any point (who by the way were formerly named the St. Louis Browns as well in the 1880's and 90's)
It'll have to be in a World Series because there's no interleague play.
Old 08-20-2019, 10:33 AM   #4
Buster Cherry
Minors (Triple A)

I've played eight exhibition games so far and the Browns are 4-4. Two of the losses were to Bahstan and Philly who appear to be the two strongest teams with 7-1 and 8-0 records respectively. I know it's only pre-season but lots of times it's a good indicator of what to expect. The good news so far for the Browns is that my two pitching meal tickets, Rube Waddell and Joe McGinnity, have only given up one earned run between them in their two starts. Hitting hasn't been that great but that should come around with more games.
Old 08-21-2019, 12:02 AM   #5
Buster Cherry
Minors (Triple A)

The Browns went 15-15 during exhibition season. A potential worry is that we were shut out 7 times but in 15 games our pitchers held the opposition to 2 runs or less. Another worry is that almost certain kiss of death from BNN which picked us to win the league.
Old 08-24-2019, 05:11 AM   #6
Brownieand45sfan
Bat Boy

Can you acquire Christy Mathewson and do it right this time, please? Browns owner Robert Lee Hedges had him signed, jumping from the Giants, but in order to make peace between the leagues and restart the World Series, Hedges was cajoled into giving Christy back.
Brownieand45sfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 10:37 AM   #7
Buster Cherry
Minors (Triple A)

Sorry I'm late but I had to retool things a bit because the AI didn't give out full rosters to AL teams. Anyway, I still ended up signing Rube Waddell as a free agent along with a promising young 2B named Johnny Evers and a hard-hitting OF named Turkey Mike Donlin who will play 1B on the Browns. Jesse Burkett and Bobby Wallace also jumped leagues from the cross-town Cardinals. No Joe McGinnity in the rotation though but I can always make a trade later. Tommy Leach also remained with the Pirates due to a last minute intercession by Honus Wagner.

In the season opener, Rube Waddell took the hill against Cleveland and their fine young pitcher named Addie Joss. The game was no contest as the Browns won 9-3. Waddell gave up 9 hits in addition to the three runs but he also struck out 11 Clevelanders. We knocked Joss out in the sixth inning. My DP combo of Johnny Evers and Bobby Wallace did the most damage with three hits apiece. Davy Jones and Jesse Burkett each had two hits. My big guns did their jobs. No errors in the field either which was somewhat of a rarity for the times.

In the future, I'll give weekly or monthly updates.

Last edited by Buster Cherry; 08-26-2019 at 12:34 PM.
Old 08-26-2019, 07:44 PM   #8
Buster Cherry
Minors (Triple A)

I'm hoping that my manager assigns someone to keep an eye on my free agent signees, Waddell and Donlin. Both are notorious carousers. We don't need either one going on a binge during the middle of a pennant race (if we're in one, that is).

Last edited by Buster Cherry; 08-27-2019 at 06:26 PM.
Old 08-27-2019, 12:23 PM   #9
Buster Cherry
Minors (Triple A)

Off to a Fast Start

Swept Cleveland out of town in the opening series. Outscored them 21-7 over the course of three games. It was supposed to be a four game series but the final game was rained out. Then Detroit came to town and the Browns swept them three straight. I've gotten six consecutive complete games from my starters. Johnny Evers, Mike Donlin, Jesse Burkett, and Bobby Wallace are leading the way at the plate. Evers was over .600 until going 0-5 in the second game against Detroit knocked him down to .444.

Although the start has been great there's one huge fly in the ointment as they say. Two actually. Fly #1--All the games have been at home in the friendly confines of Sportsman's Park. Fly#2--Neither Cleveland nor Detroit have actually won a game. Are we that good or has the opposition just been that bad?

We shall see what we shall see.
Old 08-27-2019, 12:32 PM   #10
Buster Cherry
Minors (Triple A)

May is a Brutal Month

The Browns have a 24 game road trip beginning the second week of May. That stretch of games will tell the tale. Play something near .500 (and keep Donlin and Waddell from jumping the club) and we'll be contenders. After we get off the road we've got a 14 game homestand in Sportsman's Park to recover.

Next up: the hated Chicago White Sox come to town and then the road trip.

Last edited by Buster Cherry; 09-09-2019 at 11:00 AM.
Old 08-28-2019, 11:25 AM   #11
Buster Cherry
Minors (Triple A)

All Good Things Must End

My undefeated Browns took on the undefeated White Sox in a three game series at Sportsman's Park before we embark upon a 23 game road trip. Sad to say, we lost two out of three to the Pale Hose. In the series opener, I had to use my bullpen for the first time as starter Carl Lundgren was rocked almost from the beginning. After falling behind 9-1 the Browns rallied to cut the deficit to 9-6 but that was as close as we got in a 13-9 loss. My two bullpen pitchers didn't exactly set the woods on fire either.

Game 2 was much better as starter Jack Powell was in control from start to finish. Powell also blasted a 3 run homer to aid his own cause in a 6-1 Browns victory. It was our first homer of the year.

I had high hopes for the rubber game of the series as we had our meal ticket, Rube Waddell, on the hill. Alas, it was not to be as the Sox eked out a 5-2 win. The Rube pitched well, giving up only two earned runs over eight innings and striking out 7. Unfortunately, he was taken out for a pinch hitter in the bottom of the 8th when the Browns tied the game at 2-2. Three unearned White Sox runs in the top of the 9th gave them the game and the series.

Now it's the road for 24 games and the remainder of May.

As for the league standings, it's a three team race in the early going. The White Sox at 8-1, Bahstan at 8-2, and the Browns at 7-2 lead the way. Baltimore, Cleveland, and Detroit bring up the rear and all three have looked terrible in the early going. Philly and Washington are the middle of the pack teams so far.

Last edited by Buster Cherry; 09-08-2019 at 10:32 AM.
Old 09-05-2019, 09:47 AM   #12
Buster Cherry
Minors (Triple A)

4-4 So Far on Road Trip

I had an inauspicious beginning to my 23 game road trip. Went into Detroit to face the winless Tigers and lost two out of three. I guess the law of averages caught up to the Browns. The Tigers had to win sometime. Then onto Cleveland where we split a two game series. Rube Waddell pitched a shutout in the win. Then it was onto Chicago. Jack Powell labored in the series opener but we overcame an early 0-3 deficit to win 4-3 and send Powell to 4-0. Game Two was a wild 9-7 affair in which we once again rallied for the win. The Browns sent their meal ticket, Rube Waddell, to the hill in Game 3 trying for the sweep in Chitown but it didn't happen. The Rube really labored in an extra inning 6-7 loss to the ChiSox. Now it's eastbound and down, as that song once said.

Had to take the lineup selection away from manager Hugh Duffy because he wasn't giving Johnny Evers enough playing time. When this kid is healthy he's gonna play. I don't care if he is a rookie. I also need to seriously consider upgrading at 3b. The guy I have there now is hitting under .200. Turkey Mike Donlin has proven to be an excellent signing so far. He's hitting .380. One thing that concerns me is our lack of power. We've only hit one homer so far and that was by pitcher Jack Powell.

Anyway, the Browns' overall record is 11-6 which is good enough for third in the AL standings behind Chicago and Bahstan. Even though it's only 1902 I still despise the Red Sawks as they later became. If the Browns can't win the pennant I hope any of the other teams besides the Red Sawks win it.

Last edited by Buster Cherry; 09-06-2019 at 10:57 AM.
Old 09-06-2019, 11:03 AM   #13
Buster Cherry
Minors (Triple A)

On the way east, the Browns stopped off in Cleveland for one game with the Bronchos. Jack Powell went to 5-0 with a 2-0 shutout. I also signed 42 year old Sam Thompson, a former star with the Phils back in the 1890's, as a player coach. The guy's legs are gone but he can still hit as he gave an impressive hitting exhibition at his tryout. I figured why not. We can always use him as a pinch hitter and as a coach and I had two roster slots open. Next up are the Washington Senators. 5-4 on the road trip with the meat coming up.
Old 09-07-2019, 10:52 AM   #14
Buster Cherry
Minors (Triple A)

3 out of 4 in Washington

Good series for the Browns in the nation's capitol as they took three out of four. We also hit three homers in the series to bring our season total to four. Jesse Burkett hit two in the series finale which was a 6-4 win that sent Jack Powell to 6-0 on the campaign.

The Browns stand 15-7 and are in second place behind Bahstan with the A's and White Sox close behind on our heels. The League is shaping up to be four strong teams (Browns, Bahstan, A's, White Sox), three weak teams (Cleveland, Baltimore, Detroit), and one average outfit (Senators) although Baltimore appears to be gaining some momentum lately.

Next up is an early showdown with the Americans, Pilgrims, Beaneaters, Red Sawks, or whatever the hell they call themselves. Four games in Bahstan. I'm hoping for a split but we shall see what we shall see.

Last edited by Buster Cherry; 09-07-2019 at 10:53 AM.
Old 09-08-2019, 10:46 AM   #15
Buster Cherry
Minors (Triple A)

It's Finally Over

The Browns finally returned home to St. Louis after their 24 game road trip. On the whole I can't complain. The team went 13-11 to bring their record to 20-13 which is good enough for third behind the A's in second and whatever nickname Bahstan is using these days in first. Once the Browns finished their single game in Cleveland they headed east for four games with the Senators. The nation's capitol was kind to the Browns as they took 3 out of 4. Then it was up to Bahstan for 4 with the Pootbeaners. We got a split with a 14-1 rout in the series finale.

I was feeling good after leaving Bahstan. We'd gotten a split with the Pootbeaners on their field and really given them something to think about with that 14-1 pasting in the final game of the series. Then we hit Philly for a four game series. We also hit the wall. Or rather we quit hitting in the first two games which were 1-3 and 0-2 losses. A 6-7 loss in extra innings was the result from game three. Fortunately, Jack Powell ran his record to 8-0 with a win in the series finale so the Browns at least salvaged something in the City of Brotherly Love.

The road trip finally ended with the Browns taking two out of three in Baltimore from the 7th place Orioles who seemed to be looking north towards Noo Yawk. Now it's back home to Sportsman's Park with a four game series against 1st place Bahstan. Four games with Washington are next followed by three gamers against both Baltimore and Philadelphia.
Old 09-09-2019, 10:57 AM   #16
Buster Cherry
Minors (Triple A)

Sportsman's Park is Now a Fortress

The Browns are 15-5 at Sportsman's Park. Since getting off that 24 game road trip they've been 8-3. Split a 4 game series with 1st place Bahstan. Won the opener by scoring 5 runs in the bottom of the 9th to send Jack Powell to 9-0. Got whacked 8-0 in game 2 but a strong mound effort from Red Donahue gave the Browns game 3 and a chance to win the series against the Pootbeans. Alas, it was not to be, as Cy Young outdueled Rube Waddell to salvage a series split for the Pootbeans.

Next up was the Senators. The boys from the nation's capitol won the opener and foiled Jack Powell's efforts to go 10-0 but the Browns took the final three games of the series allowing only three runs in three games. Next up were the Orioles of Baltimore. After a horrid start the Birdies had been playing decent ball lately so this one had me a little worried. I should have had more faith in the Browns as they swept the O's on out of town, outscoring them by a total of 28-3 in the three games.

A potential worry spot also emerged when our backup 2b Dick Padden, who's barely hitting over .200, and lost his starting position to rookie Johnny Evers, called out RF Davy Jones, who's hitting over .300, in the press for not giving it his all. I'm going to have to read that punk the Riot Act. You wanna call somebody out in the media, have your ducks in order or you're going to the waiver wire and can be Detroit's problem.

Anyway, the Browns are now 28-16 and in third place a game and a half behind the first place Athletics who are next on the schedule. Hopefully, the friendly confines of Sportsman's Park will continue to work towards the Browns' advantage. We need all the help we can get against the A's as they beat us three out of four in Philly.

Last edited by Buster Cherry; 09-11-2019 at 04:53 PM.
Old 09-10-2019, 09:50 AM   #17
Buster Cherry
Minors (Triple A)

The Winning Continues

Two out of three from the visiting A's and then an odd series with Cleveland. We traveled to Cuyahoga River country and swept them then returned to St. Louis for a double header which the Browns split. This puts the Browns at 33-18 good enough to move past the A's into second place but still a game and a half behind the Pootbeaners from Bahstan. Little worried about Turkey Mike Donlin. His batting average has slipped to .333. Rumor around the clubhouse is that he has female troubles. No worries about Jesse Burkett or Jack Powell though. Burkett is hitting over .380 and Powell's mound record is 11-1.

Next up is three games with the ChiSox who have been slumping recently and have fallen off the pace in the pennant race. Then we have an odd series with Detroit. Three games at Sportsman's Park followed by four at Detroit. After Detroit we head out for another long road trip.

Last edited by Buster Cherry; 09-11-2019 at 01:06 PM.
Old 09-11-2019, 01:19 PM   #18
Buster Cherry
Minors (Triple A)

The Halfway Point

Got a message from my owner, Jimmy "the Rat" Egan. He's ecstatic about the team's progress so far. Since his goal record wise for me this year was to not suck that's to be expected. Egan is a pretty miserable fellow most of the time. They don't call him the Rat for nothing but he does leave me alone and let me run the club and he hasn't pinched pennies in the financial department. Those are all I can really ask from an owner.

My assistant GM, Richard "Dink" Conway, is a crony of Egan's who was forced upon me when I took the job. He's basically there to be Egan's eyes and ears but that's okay by me as long as he completes the tasks I assign him to my satisfaction. So far, so good. Manager Hugh Duffy has done a good job so far in game management even if I did have to take the lineup selection away from him for not playing Johnny Evers enough. Bench coach Big Tim Harrington is another crony of Egan's whose our owner's eyes and ears in the dugout and clubhouse. Pitching coach Buster Wertman and hitting coach Fred "Killer" Burke are Duffy's hires and presumably loyal to him. Can't complain about the jobs Wertman and Burke have done this season especially the job Wertman has done with Jack Powell.

Anyway, the team is now 43-23 and second in the AL, two games behind those Bahstan Pootbeaners. We're heading east for thirteen games. The train is waiting.
Old 09-11-2019, 02:57 PM   #19
Buster Cherry
Minors (Triple A)

The Truth Will Out

Finally discovered the truth behind the situation where my backup 2b, Dick Padden, bad-mouthed rookie RF Davy Jones in the media. It seems as though Padden was put up to the deed by none other than our bench coach, Big Tim Harrington. Harrington overheard Jones making a joke about his girth and this was his way of teaching Jones a lesson. He's also been telling owner Jimmy Egan that there's no leadership in the clubhouse. To my way of looking at things, a 43-23 record proves that somebody somewhere has been doing some leading.

Once we get back from this east coach road trip, I'm going to sit down with Mr. Egan and have a long talk about Mr. Harrington. I know Egan and Harrington have been drinking buddies for quite a while and I know Harrington is Egan's snitch in the clubhouse but I want to cut bait with Big Tim after the season. Egan will understand. They don't call him the Rat for nothing.

You see, I have my locker room snitches on the club too.

Last edited by Buster Cherry; 09-11-2019 at 07:06 PM.
Old 09-14-2019, 10:19 AM   #20
Buster Cherry
Minors (Triple A)

Getting ready to pull into Philly with a 59-37 record which is good enough for 2nd place 5 and a half games behind the Bahstan Pootbeans. The A's are two and a half games behind us in third so this series is a chance for them to make up some ground. Jack Powell, who started off the season 15-2 has now cooled down and is 17-7. Two of my other starters, Rube Waddell and Red Donahue, are pitching well but not getting much run support. The Rube is only 12-8 but he's leading the league in strikeouts. The boy is still a raw talent who needs more seasoning. Can't complain about my lineup. Even my moderately talented 3b is beginning to pull his weight at the plate. He's up to almost .250 now after spending much of the season around .200. Turkey Mike Donlin is back up to .349 and Jesse Burkett is just over .400.

As for the pennant race itself, we're still in it but can't seem to make up much ground on those Pootbeaners. We still have six games remaining with them so if we can somehow take 4 of 6 we might have a chance. Lots of double headers for us in September so it's gonna be rough. I just don't fancy our pennant chances right now looking at our schedule unless Bahstan goes into a major slump.