Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > Perfect Team
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Perfect Team Perfect Team 2.0 - The online revolution continues! Battle thousands of PT managers from all over the world and become a legend.

Old 02-26-2019, 11:11 AM   #1
professor ape
All Star Starter

Very exciting

I’ll be anxious to see the evolution of Perfect Team. As a sample of one, I am someone who started with OOTP back in Version 6. I sank many hours into building detailed fictitious leagues. My activity trailed off over the last 5-6 years somewhat ironically because of the depth of content. If I couldn’t invest the time to fully unleash the capabilities of the game, I didn’t want to half-ass it.

Perfect Team has been an injection for me as it is a way to play the game without feeling the need to dive in as deeply. I only started up a few weeks ago and quickly built an adequate team which dominated the Bronze and Silver levels. Admittedly, I think I got lucky with three early Diamond card pickups. My one concern now is that my team is going to be slow to improve further which could make the experience a bit static. I’m not one to buy points (sorry Markus) and the pace of earning points is such that my roster will only have maybe one change a week. I hope that the tournaments and other tweaks keep the experience more dynamic.
professor ape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 12:12 PM   #2
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

Yes, tournaments should be tons of fun, and the exclusive cards you can win will be highly sought after
Markus Heinsohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 01:49 PM   #3
cavacom
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Heinsohn View Post
Yes, tournaments should be tons of fun, and the exclusive cards you can win will be highly sought after
Buried the lead. THIS is EXCITING!!!
cavacom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 03:04 PM   #4
SodoMojo
Minors (Double A)

Nice Professor Ape.

I for one am quite hooked on Perfect Team and for a first run I'm impressed with how it all worked so well.

The UI is intuitive...the presentation is well done and man is it addicting and a lot of fun. I have spent countless hours scouring the auction house, analyzing other teams and toying with my lineups.

To see little touches like better AH search functions, a deeper pool of cards, tournaments and so on has me feeling like Christmas morning when I was a kid.
SodoMojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 11:24 PM   #5
professor ape
All Star Starter

Following on my initial comment about the potential for the game to get a bit static due to the points needed to continue to improve your team once you have a solid base, one thought would be to have the points you earn for achievements increase as you move up levels. Start with the base points in the Iron level and then apply multipliers as you move up. Bronze could be x1.5, Silver at x2.0, x3.0 for Gold, Diamond at x4.0, and x5.0 at Perfect level. What do you think?
Old 02-28-2019, 11:37 AM   #6
cavacom
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by professor ape View Post
Following on my initial comment about the potential for the game to get a bit static due to the points needed to continue to improve your team once you have a solid base, one thought would be to have the points you earn for achievements increase as you move up levels. Start with the base points in the Iron level and then apply multipliers as you move up. Bronze could be x1.5, Silver at x2.0, x3.0 for Gold, Diamond at x4.0, and x5.0 at Perfect level. What do you think?
I suggested this multiple times and it appears the idea was not received well. They absolutely do not want to apply this idea.
cavacom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 12:15 PM   #7
professor ape
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavacom View Post
I suggested this multiple times and it appears the idea was not received well. They absolutely do not want to apply this idea.
Obviously Markus and the team have thought through this much more than I have but that is a bit surprising to me. Part of locking people into a game is to trigger larger rewards as a player progresses so that the endorphins keep pumping through our monkey brains.
This is all the more important in Perfect Team as it actually gets harder to trigger point generating achievements in higher league levels. Therefore in the current state the same team will earn less points in a gold league than it will in a silver league while it takes more points to improve your team to succeed in the higher leagues than it does in the lower ones.
I get that part of the strategy is to get people to spend money on points, but the game needs to stay interesting for those who want to build teams au natural.
Old 02-28-2019, 01:27 PM   #8
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
This is all the more important in Perfect Team as it actually gets harder to trigger point generating achievements in higher league levels. Therefore in the current state the same team will earn less points in a gold league than it will in a silver league while it takes more points to improve your team to succeed in the higher leagues than it does in the lower ones.
This is not true. I have tracked every achievement point since the beta. Some of my best seasons have come in Perfect Leagues, and my highest was in Diamond. My second-worst was in Gold.
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 01:53 PM   #9
professor ape
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcin View Post
This is not true. I have tracked every achievement point since the beta. Some of my best seasons have come in Perfect Leagues, and my highest was in Diamond. My second-worst was in Gold.
Granted I have a small sample but my points earned have dropped as I move up. It just makes sense because points are (for the most part) tied to positive results such as multi-HR games, making the playoffs, shutouts with under 100 pitches, etc. Logic says that you will have less of those achievements as you face tougher competition. You can get a jolt of points for an outlier event like a perfect game but overall I don’t see how the same team would be expected to get the same or more achievements against stronger opponents.

Last edited by professor ape; 02-28-2019 at 02:15 PM.
Old 02-28-2019, 01:57 PM   #10
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Granted I have a small sample but my points earned have dropped as I move up. It just makes sense because points are (for the most part) tied to positive results such as multi-HR games, making the playoffs, shutouts with under 100 pitches, etc. Logic says that you will have less of those achievements as you face tougher competition. You can get a jolt of points for an outlier event like a perfect game but overall I don’t see how the Same team would be expected to get the same or more achievements against stronger opponents.

If you keep the same team, you will never reach the higher levels anyway.
Old 02-28-2019, 01:59 PM   #11
eldur00
All Star Reserve

Quote:

Not true TO YOU. You're only one person, and fall into the "small sample size" bucket. You can't discredit one person's observations with such limited data.

My educated guess is that PP generation would be all over the place because there are too many variables in play and the seeding system is such that quality of the team is irrelevant to the tier of league they play in. So in instance, you've been seeing good results higher up, but it could be tied to quality of teams you've faced, their ballparks factors etc. while the OP might have faced tougher opponents. So somebody that would constantly get seeded in a league with the best of the best teams would indeed feel like points are tougher to come by. Their interpretation would not be false, just different than what your sample data shows.
eldur00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 02:01 PM   #12
professor ape
All Star Starter

Quote:
If you keep the same team, you will never reach the higher levels anyway.
Of course that is true but it takes exponentially more points to improve a more developed team.
Old 02-28-2019, 02:13 PM   #13
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldur00 View Post
Not true TO YOU. You're only one person, and fall into the "small sample size" bucket. You can't discredit one person's observations with such limited data.
Since I have played every season, my sample size is the largest possible.
Old 02-28-2019, 02:53 PM   #14
eldur00
All Star Reserve

Quote:

So are you implying you're the only one playing the game, or are you implying only your data matters ?
eldur00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 03:02 PM   #15
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldur00 View Post
So are you implying you're the only one playing the game, or are you implying only your data matters ?
Neither.
Old 02-28-2019, 06:50 PM   #16
bailey
Hall Of Famer

You can tailor your team to make more PP, and in 19 that means focusing on hitting. A team that scores 1000 runs and allows 900 will win roughly the same number of games as a team that scores 700 and allows 600, but the 1000 run team will make far more PP on the average. (Any team can get lucky with gold achievements). This theory is based on my observations of my 2 teams @ 10 weeks each. Warning: small sample size!!! YMMV

bailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 07:21 PM   #17
professor ape
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bailey View Post
You can tailor your team to make more PP, and in 19 that means focusing on hitting. A team that scores 1000 runs and allows 900 will win roughly the same number of games as a team that scores 700 and allows 600, but the 1000 run team will make far more PP on the average. (Any team can get lucky with gold achievements). This theory is based on my observations of my 2 teams @ 10 weeks each. Warning: small sample size!!! YMMV
Sucks that my team happens to be pitching dominated. 😉
Old 03-01-2019, 04:20 AM   #18
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

Quote:
No, this would throw the whole economy off balance and hence will never happen.
Markus Heinsohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 07:43 AM   #19
professor ape
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Heinsohn View Post
No, this would throw the whole economy off balance and hence will never happen.
Thanks boss. I sense that the new tournaments will be a vehicle to keep the experience fresh for those who have developed their core team to the point where improvements are slower to come by.
Old 03-06-2019, 04:49 PM   #20
professor ape
All Star Starter

Quote:
My team is in a Gold league and has not earned a single point in 22 simulation days. My team isn’t outstanding but I am in first and have gone 9-11 during that period. Granted, that is a small sample but my team has been over .500 for the last season and a half but has struggled to earn points. It is making the experience very static at this point.