Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager 2 > FHM 2 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-03-2016, 12:40 PM   #1
joejccva71
Minors (Double A)

Stats realistic?

In my first season that I played with the Bruins, Stamkos of TB scored 68 goals and Ovechkin 63 goals.

Is that realistic? I know Gretzky with his 92 goals in the '81-82 season but still. Hasn't hockey changed in the years where getting more than 60 goals in one season is extremely difficult now?

Are these stats realistic? Have any of you played multiple seasons and are seeing inflated season stats?

Thanks.
joejccva71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 02:02 PM   #2
Adam B
Hockey Community Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by joejccva71 View Post
In my first season that I played with the Bruins, Stamkos of TB scored 68 goals and Ovechkin 63 goals.

Is that realistic? I know Gretzky with his 92 goals in the '81-82 season but still. Hasn't hockey changed in the years where getting more than 60 goals in one season is extremely difficult now?

Are these stats realistic? Have any of you played multiple seasons and are seeing inflated season stats?

Thanks.
In the past nine years, Ovechkin has scored 65, and Stamkos has scored 60 in a season. While getting to 68 and 63 is...not incredibly likely, it's not out the realm of possibility.

Both are elite scorers, and there's a number of circumstances that could help improve their numbers - were they facing backups, who were they playing with, how many on the PP, etc.

Time is changing again, and we're starting to see the elite level players be a little more elite again. Whether we ever get back to the 80s and early 90s level of points I'm not sure that'll happen, but someone having 70 goals in a season is by no means out of the question.
Adam B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 11:07 AM   #3
redtiger7
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by joejccva71 View Post

Thanks.
Welcome to the dead puck area. Scoring's been down for awhile now in real life NHL.
redtiger7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 07:55 PM   #4
dave1927p
FHM Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by redtiger7 View Post
Welcome to the dead puck area. Scoring's been down for awhile now in real life NHL.
Not quite the dead puck era but pretty close. We are seeing now more shared point production from players. 3rd liners are producing more then they were in the dead puck era and have the ability to shut down others defensively much better too. At least there's no 1-2-2

FHM's point production for the most part is pretty accurate. If Stamkos gets 68 goals the next season in your game redtiger than yes i would consider it unrealistic. I can't say I've seen him do that in my game though no doubt he and Ovechkin keep winning the Cy Young Award
Old 07-05-2016, 12:46 AM   #5
Adam B
Hockey Community Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1927p View Post
Not quite the dead puck era but pretty close. We are seeing now more shared point production from players. 3rd liners are producing more then they were in the dead puck era and have the ability to shut down others defensively much better too. At least there's no 1-2-2

FHM's point production for the most part is pretty accurate. If Stamkos gets 68 goals the next season in your game redtiger than yes i would consider it unrealistic. I can't say I've seen him do that in my game though no doubt he and Ovechkin keep winning the Cy Young Award
Winning the Cy Young Award?

That IS an impressive feat.
Adam B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 12:39 PM   #6
dave1927p
FHM Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam B View Post
Winning the Cy Young Award?

That IS an impressive feat.
lol yes, officially it would be. But the player with the most goals in comparison to assists is what some like to poke fun as the Cy Young Award. Now that I think about it...it would make much more sense if it was named after a soccer (football) award than baseball. Alexander the Great won it this year with 50 goals and 21 assists.

Last edited by dave1927p; 07-05-2016 at 12:42 PM.
dave1927p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 02:41 PM   #7
Hank1974
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by redtiger7 View Post
Yup.
Coaches don't want 50 goal scorers anymore.
They'd rather have 12, 200-foot players who act and play like robots while spewing out cliches "Play a full 60 minutes".
Remember when Ovie was a fun quote?
The hockey establishment took care of that.

Everyone's supposed to play and act like Mr. Beige himself, Jonathan Toews.
Hank1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 10:10 PM   #8
omjo
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank1974 View Post
Yup.
They'd rather have 12, 200-foot players who act and play like robots while spewing out cliches "Play a full 60 minutes".

I remember the trouble Yak's celebration caused in his first game of his career.

The NHL wants New Jersey Devil hockey. For everybody. And it's working. But now you have ideas floating around of decreasing goalie equipment size and increasing the size of nets.

This is the same league who, instead of removing shootouts, decided to introduce a 3v3 OT gimmick to lower the number of shootouts that occur. This is pond hockey stuff. Nothing wrong with 4v4 or 5v5 and then a tie. But that would be boring. Unlike... NJD hockey? Because logic.
omjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 04:22 PM   #9
Romagoth
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank1974 View Post
Yup.

Hey now, it's all about "the process" and character guys and sacrificing for the team. Seriously, though. While there is definitely a place for all of those things (and the 200' player), the NHL has become incredibly dull and starless. Crosby, Datsyuk (before he went back to Russia), Ovechkin, and others should be marketed by the NHL, not hidden away.

SMH at Gary Bettman.
Romagoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 05:16 PM   #10
omjo
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romagoth View Post
Hey now, it's all about "the process" and character guys and sacrificing for the team. Seriously, though. While there is definitely a place for all of those things (and the 200' player), the NHL has become incredibly dull and starless. Crosby, Datsyuk (before he went back to Russia), Ovechkin, and others should be marketed by the NHL, not hidden away.

SMH at Gary Bettman.
I don't know how many people watch wrestling, but the NHL is pretty much in the PG Era of the WWE. Lacklustre product to appease a new demographic. The NHL wants more American viewers (also known as big TV deals) and as such, the good ole hockey game is being changed to better suite the new demographic of hockey fans.

So you'll have less exciting hockey on the ice, but more gimmicks like shootouts and 3v3 overtime.

I miss real rivalries. Ovi vs Crosby was the last great player rivalry and the NHL dropped it after Crosby won his first cup. Could have had Hall and Seguin, but nope. McDavid-Eichel? We'll see, but probably not. And team rivalries lack much punch outside of the playoffs because players aren't allowed to sneeze in the direction of another player without backlash by the new demographic of hockey fan.

As long as the league makes money, the NHL will continue down the path of mediocrity. Because let's face it, who is there to compete with them? Exactly. We need a WCW for hockey lol.
omjo is offline   Reply With Quote