Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - New to the Game?

OOTP 20 - New to the Game? If you have basic questions about the the latest version of our game, please come here!

Old 05-26-2019, 09:52 AM   #1
oogieboo
Bat Boy

Unhappy Impression: 10% Me, 90% Good Old Pure Luck

Team:
Bullpen is balanced on LvR 1:2, FBvGB, and PowervFinesse and normal. All are 4 stars Overall+ according to my Scouting Director
C Reese McGuire (4o5p)
1B Jake Lamb (3.5o3.5p)
2B Bo Bichette (4o5p)
3B Vlad Guerrero Jr. (5o5p)
SS Didi Gregorius (3.5o3.5p)
LF Marcell Ozuna (3o3p)
CF George Springer (4o4p)
RF Tyler O'Neil (3.5o3.5p)
Rotation:
Zack Wheeler (3.5o3.5p)
Kevin Gausman (3o3p)
Mike Soroka (4o4.5p)
Trevor Bauer (4o4p)
Aaron Sanchez (3o3p)

Team Morale is suffering due to terrible season after terrible season, but I have 2 captains, a leader, a sparkplug, and a prankster, so it still isn't terrrible. I have no disruptive players, no outspoken players, no unmotivated players, and no selfish players. All players (including bench players) are happy with their role on the team, and my bench is actually versatile enough to cover every position when my players are tired without even dipping into my stacked minor league.

My GM rating is "Legendary" and my Scouting Director is "Legendary".

From this, I've created a team that is balanced hitting-wise for everything but speed. They are all decent defenders, too (except Bo...), and I even have a hitting coach who enjoys many of their characteristics. My rotation isn't perfect, but I had a good blend of all types of pitchers to keep opponents guessing. However, I went 68-94 this season. They drop every game, don't score, and our ERA is just under 5. Obviously, in any real-world situation, this just wouldn't happen 99% of the time. My best players are still young and developing, but that's really no excuse, and if that is the reason, OOTP needs to change the factor by which they lower younger players' capabilities.

My conclusion is that this game is not based nearly as much on how I do, but rather on how my players perform, which is based purely on luck and the computer's random simulation. I have done all I can to get the right personnel to teach them, but time and time again, my players underperform during the regular season. Is there something I'm doing wrong? It seems like, in the MLB, my team would win the world series this year and every year. No team in the league stacks up to mine at all. To say I'm a little "unmotivated" to keep playing this game wouldn't really be a stretch at this point. I don't want to dive into something like this just to realize my actions don't affect much. I'm still fairly new to OOTP(20). I played the last one for a few seasons, but that is all, so this entire post could be flawed. Any assistance is much appreciated.
oogieboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 09:59 AM   #2
slugga27
All Star Starter

With all due respect, that’s kind of the idea. The seemingly most-talented team doesn’t always live up to the expectations (see: 2012 Red Sox).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
slugga27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 08:53 PM   #3
olivertheorem
All Star Starter

What was your run differential that season?
olivertheorem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 12:46 AM   #4
endgame
Hall Of Famer

It's said that God does not play dice.
Old 05-27-2019, 02:41 PM   #5
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

most 3 and 4 star guys don't perform like all-stars. 3 stars are just average players... ~3 probably hits close to average, for example (average is actually better than >50% of players, so a ~3star is going to be ~league average)

the overall rating is a horrible way to judge pitchers, and a poor way to judge batters -- but much stronger correlation with batters. with batters you just assess obp / power skills and it's fairly easy to see. pitchers are a clusterf%$ of factors.

you make the decisions and the odds play out in this game. choosing the best odds is the best you can do. best player evaluation will provide best results etc... even if you lose while doing the 'best' thing, that's all you can do.

in mlb the show or similar, your hand-to-eye coordination can augment players and improve outcomes even with a crappy team.

i'd say you either had really bad luck with your pitching, or it isn't nearly as good as you perceive it to be. i don't see a consistent 100+ win team here. i am not as familiar with the names and ratings as i have been in the past.

i see mostly pitchers that are capable of a good year, but won't consistently do so, or at least difficult to bet on in any 1 year that 3-4 out of 5 have great years.

a few batters i don't recognize by ratings... ltm default cause an offensive league, so if you aren't clearing 800+ RS, it's likely a mediocre offense.

offense is a bit easier to guesstimate based on one year's results. if you aren't easily a ~Top-5 or so offense each year, you are overestimating your offense too. (ignore the 800rs #, make it relative to league - top5/10 or so depending on range of values.)

even with the defualt mlb LTM resulting in a ~4.30-4.50 era league, ~5 era is still bottom 1/3rd or worse, i'd bet, but 800RS isn't as difficult as 2-3 years ago in ootp, either.

if you see a lot of off-years, i could easily be wrong. if it's more of the same for most of the players, then you just don't have a good team. that's all. not enough info given to be sure, but dig deeper and make some decisions if you think it's not an anomaly.

i'm leaning toward -- maybe those pitchers aren't so good as perceived in spite of their overall ratings. i'd wager that offense is middle of the road, give or take, at best. so a bottom third pitching staff and a middling offense... that record seems reasonable.

i think the best advice i'd give is adjust a bit what you think a good pitcher is, and remove the "Name" column anytime you are assessing players' value.

Last edited by NoOne; 05-27-2019 at 02:43 PM.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 11:26 AM   #6
Ty Cobb
Hall Of Famer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBgGaGUnvA0

“What’s the most you ever lost on a coin toss?”

“Everyone is an atheist until Templars begin marching in the rain.”
Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.
Society's tolerance for violent criminals is dumbfounding.
Ty Cobb is offline   Reply With Quote