Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - General Discussions

OOTP 14 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2013 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 11-02-2013, 08:26 PM   #1
Accipiter
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Changing a player position doesn't result in rating for that position

I'm having an issue; I've come across it several times. Let's say I have a player that only plays 1B; I decide to switch him to 3B while he's in the minors. He plays there for a year, comes to the majors and plays there all spring...gets experience at the position, I've changed his position to 3B via the 'set position to' button, even gone into the editor to make sure it says 3B there....yet on his fielding ratings it still only shows 3B.

Is there any way to change this? I understand if I was trying to convert a SS to a C or something, but this is a bit absurd.

edit: and just to be clear, I've tried having guys for YEARS at a new position and they never get a rating there

Last edited by Accipiter; 11-02-2013 at 08:29 PM.
Accipiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 08:51 PM   #2
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accipiter View Post
I'm having an issue; I've come across it several times. Let's say I have a player that only plays 1B; I decide to switch him to 3B while he's in the minors. He plays there for a year, comes to the majors and plays there all spring...gets experience at the position, I've changed his position to 3B via the 'set position to' button, even gone into the editor to make sure it says 3B there....yet on his fielding ratings it still only shows 3B.

Is there any way to change this? I understand if I was trying to convert a SS to a C or something, but this is a bit absurd.

edit: and just to be clear, I've tried having guys for YEARS at a new position and they never get a rating there
There is a minimum threshold of skills. A low rated 1B should never be able to generate much at 3B. What were his skill ratings at 1B

I hope you meant 1B above. If not then I'm

RichW

#stopthestupid

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 09:30 PM   #3
Accipiter
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RchW View Post
There is a minimum threshold of skills. A low rated 1B should never be able to generate much at 3B. What were his skill ratings at 1B

I hope you meant 1B above. If not then I'm
His rating at 1B is 63, so he's above average. I've done it before with other positions; tried converting an SS to a 2B, a LF to a RF, and a 3B to a 1B, in each case after several years at their new position they still didn't generate a rating for that new position, and all of them were above average fielders at their old one.
Old 11-02-2013, 09:44 PM   #4
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
His rating at 1B is 63, so he's above average. I've done it before with other positions; tried converting an SS to a 2B, a LF to a RF, and a 3B to a 1B, in each case after several years at their new position they still didn't generate a rating for that new position, and all of them were above average fielders at their old one.
That's a position rating. What were his skills? If he can't throw he can't play 3B.

RichW

#stopthestupid

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
Old 11-02-2013, 09:51 PM   #5
snepp
All Star Starter

See the following thread, there's a link there to the minimum skills required for each position.

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...ve-rating.html
snepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 10:05 PM   #6
Accipiter
Minors (Rookie Ball)

oooooooooooooooooh ok, yeah I checked that link, that's why, he doesn't have enough arm

edit: hmmm or not....just upped his ratings in the editor, gave him some experience.....and nothing. Tried rescouting him, still nothing

edit2: tried messing around with the ratings some more, that chart in the link doesn't appear to apply anymore, it appears to be some amalgamation or average of all the IF ratings, if I set one to 200 another to 200 and then the others to 0 I still got a 3B rating out of him....weird

Last edited by Accipiter; 11-02-2013 at 10:13 PM.
Old 11-03-2013, 12:10 AM   #7
The Game
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
oooooooooooooooooh ok, yeah I checked that link, that's why, he doesn't have enough arm

edit: hmmm or not....just upped his ratings in the editor, gave him some experience.....and nothing. Tried rescouting him, still nothing

edit2: tried messing around with the ratings some more, that chart in the link doesn't appear to apply anymore, it appears to be some amalgamation or average of all the IF ratings, if I set one to 200 another to 200 and then the others to 0 I still got a 3B rating out of him....weird
what chart are you talking about? Screenshot the player also check him with 100% scouting and/or OSA. You r scout may be Legendary and not have him scouted properly.
Here is a custom 3B who is on the decline defensively.
I use 100% scouting for this league.
Attached Images
Image Image 
Don't bottle your emotions till they crack and fill a couple just sorrows
Take your mind and refocus go get a paper write your goals out
Throw your middle fingers to all your haters

"Stay Strong"

The Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 01:04 PM   #8
Fyrestorm3
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Game View Post
what chart are you talking about?
The chart in the link in the thread that snepp posted. I'd be interested to find out if those standards really are out-dated or not.
Fyrestorm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 04:53 AM   #9
The Game
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrestorm3 View Post
The chart in the link in the thread that snepp posted. I'd be interested to find out if those standards really are out-dated or not.
Thats right I tried logging into Google drive to view it but it wasn't accepting my PW.

"Stay Strong"

Old 11-04-2013, 05:50 AM   #10
MrMuse
Minors (Double A)

A similar issue comes up if you rely on staff to make the team selection. You can trade for a player for a specific role but the a.i. will consistently place him in another position. For instance, I bought a 1B that the computer always plays as DH even after I have altered his position to play him at 1B previously.
MrMuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 10:40 AM   #11
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Game View Post
Thats right I tried logging into Google drive to view it but it wasn't accepting my PW.
The file doesn't exist.

RichW

#stopthestupid

Old 11-04-2013, 10:45 AM   #12
beorn
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMuse View Post
A similar issue comes up if you rely on staff to make the team selection. You can trade for a player for a specific role but the a.i. will consistently place him in another position. For instance, I bought a 1B that the computer always plays as DH even after I have altered his position to play him at 1B previously.
Under set game strategy you can choose to force the player to start at a position, if that is what you want. I don't think I've ever seen the AI (ask the staff) overrule that.
beorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 01:16 PM   #13
tds7887
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Do you have scouting on? Is it possible your scout doesn't see any changes even if they are there?
Old 11-04-2013, 04:02 PM   #14
Fyrestorm3
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RchW View Post
The file doesn't exist.
There's two links in that thread, one right below the other. The second one is the one that works.
Old 11-04-2013, 06:04 PM   #15
Accipiter
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tds7887 View Post
Do you have scouting on? Is it possible your scout doesn't see any changes even if they are there?
I tried setting it to perfect, same issue. I don't like 'meddling' but I just bumped up his ratings to the bear minimum to get him a 3b rating, and then left it at that. So odd
Old 11-04-2013, 10:54 PM   #16
The Game
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I tried setting it to perfect, same issue. I don't like 'meddling' but I just bumped up his ratings to the bear minimum to get him a 3b rating, and then left it at that. So odd
Can you take a screen shot of his Editor page?
or whats his arm? Range? DP? 3B rating? in the editor.

"Stay Strong"

Old 11-05-2013, 04:38 PM   #17
MrMuse
Minors (Double A)

It seems to me that the whole star rating thing has little effect on how players play anyway. I've started to go through my entire ML roster including players in the minors at the start of a new season checking the 'on paper' stats for every player and demoting or releasing accordingly (It simplifies things if you ignore the played stats such as averages if you are going to do this). Contact and Eye seem the most important stat for any player at bat with homer power being a bonus and steals and base running a secondary consideration. Obviously at-position ratings (e.g. short stop for a short stop) have to be important too. There are enough players in the game that you shouldn't generally have to completely change their position even for rookies and the only time I take secondary positional stats into consideration is if I'm left with a gap due to injuries or other unforeseen events.

My Yankees that were previously built around 4 and 5 star players often losing to teams like Tampa who were largely made up of 2 and 3 star players led me to these conclusions.

p.s. I also tend to get rid of anyone with a lazy or selfish type comment on their sheet.

Last edited by MrMuse; 11-05-2013 at 04:48 PM.
MrMuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 10:13 PM   #18
Fyrestorm3
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMuse View Post
It seems to me that the whole star rating thing has little effect on how players play anyway.
That's because star ratings are affected by your AI evaluation settings; they're not "ability" ratings, like contact, power, and the like. In fact, if you set the AI evaluation to ignore ratings entirely, you'd see wild fluctuations in star ratings every time the game re-scouts, since they will be based solely on how the player is currently performing. They're more of a stat than a rating, in that way.

Think of it this way: a player's "ability" ratings affect his play on the field, which affects his star/overall ratings.