Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > Talk Sports

Talk Sports Discuss everything that is sports-related, like MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, MLS, NASCAR, NCAA sports and teams, trades, coaches, bad calls etc.

Old 10-20-2013, 05:31 AM   #1
RandyTiger
Hall Of Famer

Detroit Tigers 2013-14 Off-season thread

All information on the Rosters and Organization has been moved to the Detroit Tigers 2014 Season Thread.

Last edited by RandyTiger; 03-29-2014 at 01:56 PM. Reason: Updated information.
RandyTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 06:34 AM   #2
RandyTiger
Hall Of Famer

Over the next few weeks, I'll be going through the roster player-by-player, giving each one a going-over and looking at their strengths, weaknesses, and how they contributed to the Cats this year.
Old 10-20-2013, 08:15 PM   #3
cephasjames
Hall Of Famer

Free agents: Benoit, Peralta, Infante, Pena, and Santiago... not to mention Leyland's contract is up.

Who stays, who goes?
Gone: Peralta, Santiago, Infante
Resigned: Benoit
Unsure: Pena, Leyland
Pre-OOTP 23 Custom Cap & Jersey Template v3.0 by Deft and NoPepper (with layers from other various artists) that I use: Caps, Jerseys
cephasjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 09:42 PM   #4
RandyTiger
Hall Of Famer

I think Pena will be re-signed. He's more than a capable backup, and with the way Avila gets banged up, they need someone.

Plus, Holaday isn't ready for prime time, his stint with the team earlier this year displayed a weak bat.

Leyland, I'd highly prefer he just retire and go away, along with the hitting coach.

The only one from the coaching staff I'd retain is Jeff Jones (pitching). He's done a superb job with the starters, and it's not his fault the bullpen wound up being so weak. Solid relief pitchers are difficult to find.

Don't forget the Tigers have a whole crop of arbitration-eligible guys, including Scherzer. Not sure if they can afford what it will cost to retain him, there's rumbles he might be traded this off-season.
Old 10-21-2013, 07:17 AM   #5
cephasjames
Hall Of Famer

Arbitration eligible: Scherzer, Porcello, Fister, Jackson, Avila, Coke, Kelly, Dirks, Albuquerque.

Scherzer will win big. Porcello and Fister will also do well, but not anywhere near as well as Max. The rest will be so-so.

With three of the starting five doing so well I can understand why there would be rumbling that Max could be traded. I'd rather see Fister (whom I like a lot) go before Max. But we would probably get a better deal with Max being traded. I'd like to see none of them gone overall though.
Pre-OOTP 23 Custom Cap & Jersey Template v3.0 by Deft and NoPepper (with layers from other various artists) that I use: Caps, Jerseys
Old 10-21-2013, 10:34 AM   #6
RandyTiger
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cephasjames View Post
Arbitration eligible: Scherzer, Porcello, Fister, Jackson, Avila, Coke, Kelly, Dirks, Albuquerque.

Scherzer will win big. Porcello and Fister will also do well, but not anywhere near as well as Max. The rest will be so-so.

With three of the starting five doing so well I can understand why there would be rumbling that Max could be traded. I'd rather see Fister (whom I like a lot) go before Max. But we would probably get a better deal with Max being traded. I'd like to see none of them gone overall though.
Hopefully, they will not tender an offer to Coke, but given Dombrowski and Leyland's "fondness" of the guy, chances are they'll keep him, and he'll get a raise.
Old 10-21-2013, 10:38 AM   #7
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Detroit news---Ken Rosenthal is reporting that Jim Leyland is stepping down as manager of the Tigers. Say's it's time for someone younger to do the job. I have mixed feelings about this.
David Watts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 11:56 AM   #8
cephasjames
Hall Of Famer

Tigers trade rumors: Max Scherzer on the block? - SBNation.com
Old 10-21-2013, 01:06 PM   #9
RandyTiger
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Watts View Post
Detroit news---Ken Rosenthal is reporting that Jim Leyland is stepping down as manager of the Tigers. Say's it's time for someone younger to do the job. I have mixed feelings about this.
Team's official Twitter feed is confirming Leyland is stepping down to take another position with the club.
Old 10-21-2013, 02:58 PM   #10
RandyTiger
Hall Of Famer

Apparently, Miggy has been playing with a "Grade 2 or 3 tear" groin injury, and will require surgery, possibly as soon as this week.

He really gets my respect for playing through all that pain.

Also, Rondon visited the famous orthopedic surgeon Dr. James Andrews for an evaluation, and he will not require surgery; it's a flexor muscle-strain issue and should heal normally.

[Source: Detroit News/John Niyo]
Old 10-21-2013, 03:10 PM   #11
TribeFanInNC
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cephasjames View Post
Not really following the Tigers beyond this thread, my initial reaction to posting this link was, "Why in Sweet Fanny Adams would they do that?" But I guess under the paradigm that he would be a fourth player making $20mil+ (and the most palatable by a trading partner), it does make some sense.

That said, it doesn't seem like a move the Tigers would make.
TribeFanInNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 03:17 PM   #12
CONN CHRIS
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TribeFanInNC View Post
Not really following the Tigers beyond this thread, my initial reaction to posting this link was, "Why in Sweet Fanny Adams would they do that?" But I guess under the paradigm that he would be a fourth player making $20mil+ (and the most palatable by a trading partner), it does make some sense.

Starting pitchers can wax and wain - tough to commit that kind of money to another one. They can slide Smyly into a starter's slot if they can get several quality bullpen arms in return.

I don't want to see him traded, but with a good deal that filled other holes well I could live with it.
Old 10-21-2013, 03:24 PM   #13
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyTiger View Post
Hopefully, they will not tender an offer to Coke, but given Dombrowski and Leyland's "fondness" of the guy, chances are they'll keep him, and he'll get a raise.
I'm not a Tigers fan, so don't follow them as closely as you guys, but my impressions of Coke are that he's a decent pitcher.

He can relive or even start in a pinch, puts up solid if not great numbers(though his walks were really high this year, that doesn't seem to be a trend) and is generally a decent arm to have on your team.

Am I missing something?
Lukas Berger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 03:26 PM   #14
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by TribeFanInNC View Post

Same reaction here. Given that the Tigers core isn't getting any younger I don't see how it'd make sense at all to trade Scherzer, especially if you were getting prospects in return. They're in win now mode and Scherzer's the perfect guy to help you win now.
Old 10-21-2013, 04:15 PM   #15
RandyTiger
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukasberger View Post
I'm not a Tigers fan, so don't follow them as closely as you guys, but my impressions of Coke are that he's a decent pitcher.

He can relive or even start in a pinch, puts up solid if not great numbers(though his walks were really high this year, that doesn't seem to be a trend) and is generally a decent arm to have on your team.

Am I missing something?
Stats this year: 0-5, 5.40 ERA, 1.67 WHIP, with 1 Save (2 Blown), 4 Holds, 30 K / 21 BB in 38.1 innings. His WAR this year is -0.2.

Opponents hit .291 against him this year, with a .370 OBP and a OPS of .809.

That is not the hallmark of a decent pitcher. Decent person, oh yes, but pitcher?

No.

Career: 17-25, 4.20 ERA, 1.40 WHIP, with 7 Saves (12 Blown), 75 Holds, 266 K / 127 BB in 340.1 innings.

Batting average against: .271. OBP: .337 OPS: .731.

He belongs at the AAA level. Only reason he isn't there now is because he's a lefty, and Dombrowski and (formerly) Leyland stick with players no matter what they do, like Inge and Raburn.

That's why he draws so much fan ire. He's not suitable for the Bigs.
Old 10-21-2013, 04:15 PM   #16
cephasjames
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Am I missing something?
His 2013 game logs show that he can be inconsistent. I am a bit surprised that, minus his last game in Sept., he pitched pretty well July-Sept. He started the year poorly and that stigma stuck with him. As someone who has followed him, he is just inconsistent and not trustworthy. He's the proverbial box of chocolates.

Or what Randy said.

Last edited by cephasjames; 10-21-2013 at 04:17 PM.
Old 10-21-2013, 04:58 PM   #17
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyTiger View Post
Stats this year: 0-5, 5.40 ERA, 1.67 WHIP, with 1 Save (2 Blown), 4 Holds, 30 K / 21 BB in 38.1 innings. His WAR this year is -0.2.

Opponents hit .291 against him this year, with a .370 OBP and a OPS of .809.

That is not the hallmark of a decent pitcher. Decent person, oh yes, but pitcher?

No.

Career: 17-25, 4.20 ERA, 1.40 WHIP, with 7 Saves (12 Blown), 75 Holds, 266 K / 127 BB in 340.1 innings.

Batting average against: .271. OBP: .337 OPS: .731.

He belongs at the AAA level. Only reason he isn't there now is because he's a lefty, and Dombrowski and (formerly) Leyland stick with players no matter what they do, like Inge and Raburn.

That's why he draws so much fan ire. He's not suitable for the Bigs.
This year was admittedly bad. But his performances leading up to this year were those of a decent, though hardly spectacular MLB pitcher.

For his career he's at 1.6 WAR in 340 ip. That's not great by any means, but it's not a AAA player either. He's a decent 10th-13th pitcher.

I can see where a contending team would want someone more consistent, but as a Mets fan, I can assure you that it's possible to get much, much worse performances out of bullpen guys.

Anyhow, if the Tigers dump him, I'll take him on the Mets. He can't be worse than the dreck they've been running out of the pen the last few years.
Old 10-21-2013, 05:05 PM   #18
David Watts
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
This year was admittedly bad. But his performances leading up to this year were those of a decent, though hardly spectacular MLB pitcher.

For his career he's at 1.6 WAR in 340 ip. That's not great by any means, but it's not a AAA player either. He's a decent 10th-13th pitcher.

I can see where a contending team would want someone more consistent, but as a Mets fan, I can assure you that it's possible to get much, much worse performances out of bullpen guys.

Anyhow, if the Tigers dump him, I'll take him on the Mets. He can't be worse than the dreck they've been running out of the pen the last few years.
Look at his WHIP. It's dreadful. He allows way too many batters to reach base.
David Watts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 07:13 PM   #19
RandyTiger
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I'll take him on the Mets. He can't be worse than the dreck they've been running out of the pen the last few years.
You can have him for the price of a 30th round draft pick, or 1 cent, whichever is more valuable at the moment.

I'll make it plain one last time:

I... want... him... gone.
Old 10-21-2013, 07:18 PM   #20
CONN CHRIS
Global Moderator

Quote:
Anyhow, if the Tigers dump him, I'll take him on the Mets.
Done! Nothing needed in return and I will bet that a quick pass of the hat around Tigers fans will bring enough dough to buy his plane ticket.