Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions General chat about the game...

Old 08-06-2012, 01:22 PM   #1
ovccsteve
All Star Reserve

League on Its Last Legs

I've got a fictional universe in its 81st season, which has spread over six "human" years and probably at least four computers. Unfortunately, I think it's about ready to die, crashing frequently. My question, is there any way to clean up the files to make it more stable, or at least any suggested tweaks to help it survive a couple more seasons? (Career leader in HR, RBI and Runs is active an I'd like for him to finish it our.)
ovccsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 03:20 PM   #2
polydamas
All Star Reserve

Do you create an almanac every season or so?
polydamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 07:05 PM   #3
ovccsteve
All Star Reserve

I've done a few. They eat up a lot of memory and take a ton of time.
Old 08-06-2012, 08:29 PM   #4
1998 Yankees
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovccsteve View Post
I've got a fictional universe in its 81st season, which has spread over six "human" years and probably at least four computers. Unfortunately, I think it's about ready to die, crashing frequently. My question, is there any way to clean up the files to make it more stable, or at least any suggested tweaks to help it survive a couple more seasons? (Career leader in HR, RBI and Runs is active an I'd like for him to finish it our.)
First, I would make sure it's not your game installation, rather than your league, as this fellow found out: http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...safe-mode.html

Back up your league, uninstall the game, scrub your computer including defrag, check anti-virus and firewall settings, and reinstall. Copy your league back where it belongs.

If you're still having problems, perhaps you can clean out the news .html and .txt files; the only ones that I consider indispensable are \Documents\Out of the Park Developments\OOTP Baseball 13\saved_games\Millennium League Baseball.lg\news\txt\players.

Also messages, but you will lose any linked articles in player profile histories. That folder is \Documents\Out of the Park Developments\OOTP Baseball 13\saved_games\Millennium League Baseball.lg\messages and you should also delete messages.dat if you do clean out messages. The game builds another messages.dat file the next time it gets started.

But, if the ultimate problem is that your .dat files have gotten too large for your computer's memory or they've been corrupted somehow, you may be SOOL.

Last edited by 1998 Yankees; 08-06-2012 at 08:31 PM.
1998 Yankees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 09:29 PM   #5
ovccsteve
All Star Reserve

Thanks! I'll definitely give those a shot.
Old 08-07-2012, 08:13 AM   #6
cody8200
Hall Of Famer

There are a few additional items that can be done that may help but they are more technical and can cause issues. Let us know how the other stuff works out.
Old 08-07-2012, 09:22 AM   #7
polydamas
All Star Reserve

Someone suggested this when a few of us were having trouble a few months ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by RchW View Post
Take the text below, copy and paste into a text editor, then save it in "your league.lg" folder with the extension bat. I call it boxlogdelete.bat. This batch file will delete the specified files. Do this with the game off.

Use at your own risk.
Backup before doing this.
After running the batch file manually delete the messages.dat file. Otherwise the deleted messages will be regenerated.

Quote:
del .\news\txt\leagues\log_*.txt
del .\news\html\box_scores\*.html
del .\news\html\game_logs\*.html
del .\replays\*.rpl
del .\messages\message*.txt
polydamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 11:43 AM   #8
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Thanks for posting that. Deleting these files should be done yearly especially if you generate an Almanac. Back up the league on Jan 1 each year then manually delete the Almanac and dump folders. This does nothing for dat files other than messages.dat.

It's also a good idea to check the box to delete players that don't make the majors.

I thought Markus published a procedure by which players.dat and/or retired.dat file could be purged?

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote