Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions

Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions General chat about the game...

Old 03-28-2008, 06:33 AM   #1
battists
Hall Of Famer

Exclamation OOTP 9 Update - March 28

Hi everyone,

Well, the MLB regular season is underway, and everyone's probably wondering where OOTP 9 stands, so we thought we'd give you an update.

OOTP 9 is in development and just about to begin beta testing. At this point, we expect OOTP 9 to be released some time around May. Yep, it's true, we're well behind where we wanted to be. Here's why:

Frankly, OOTP 8 took much longer than we hoped to get out the door. As we've mentioned before, when you're only 2.5 people, it's tough to focus efficiently on multiple things at once, so the plan was to get OOTP 8 out the door in the early fall, and get that completely squared away before beginning development on OOTP 9. But between the CATO converter, some illnesses, and a few other things, OOTP 8 didn't go out until December. As a result, we didn't even get started on our new development cycle until after the New Year. If you figure we lost two months there, then you can understand why we are now planning on releasing two months into the new season. We simply weren't willing to compromise quality to get this out on Opening Day.

We're committed to making OOTP 9 a great game. As in years past, there will be some features that everyone can appreciate, and some features that are targeted for specific audiences: online, historical, in-game devotees, etc.

As a thanks to everyone for their patience, here is a quick tidbit for you to whet your appetite. We have completely revamped the scouting system for OOTP 9, with the goal of making scouting a lot more attractive to a wider range of users. We've simplified it greatly, eliminating a lot of the micromanagement and making it a closer approximation of what a true general manager might need to deal with. An old fan favorite, written scouting reports, will return too, and these will use the XML text engine, so there will be a much greater flexibility in scouting reports than you might have seen back in OOTP 6.5!

As we get closer, of course, we'll embark on a "road to release" much like Marc Duffy did with SI, and we can't wait to share some of that with you. At that time we'll also try to nail down a release date more closely. By the way, we recently learned that OOTPB 2007 / OOTP 8 will be named one of the Games of the Year in an upcoming issue of PC Gamer magazine! OOTP 9 will be building upon that foundation, so we think it will be worth the wait.

So, while we understand that some of you may be disappointed with this news, we're confident that OOTP 9 will improve on an OOTP 8 platform that won critical acclaim and great feedback from you guys!

Thanks, everyone!

The OOTP Development Team
battists is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 06:49 AM   #2
Tony M
Global Moderator

Htanks for the update Steve...
Old 03-28-2008, 07:02 AM   #3
whitesocks
Minors (Single A)

Thank You...

Thank you for the update and a general release date. Makes the wait a little easier. Can't wait for the release...
whitesocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 07:12 AM   #4
Simmo13
All Star Reserve

Steve, Many thanks for the update. Really looking forward to the new version.Or even
Simmo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 07:14 AM   #5
Simmo13
All Star Reserve

Have just realised that my previous post made me a major leaguer. Certainly the nearest i'll ever get......
Simmo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 07:22 AM   #6
Raidergoo
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmo13 View Post
Have just realised that my previous post made me a major leaguer. Certainly the nearest i'll ever get......
You'll be an All Star yet, Simmo13.
Raidergoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 07:52 AM   #7
towerofpower
Minors (Single A)

Thanks for the update! Good luck with the beta stage of testing.

And if there's anyway to give some sort of "how we're doing" update on a semi-regular basis that would be great. I mean, really, I think all we'd need to see is a post saying "testing is going along as planned" and everyone would be happy just to hear something.

Of course if you also wanted to add a little "tease" in the post, well that would be gravy, but I'd be happy with just a quick update on the progress.

Oh and congrats on being named a game of the year. Very impressive work and it's good to see the team get the recognition it deserves.
towerofpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 08:04 AM   #8
ctorg
Global Moderator

Thanks for the update. I'm not surprised at all about the delay. Official communication has been too quiet for the game to be in the final stages before release.

I'd rather wait and get a better product.

"When the trees blow back and forth, that's what makes the wind." - Steven Wright

Fjord emena pancreas thorax fornicate marmalade morpheme proteolysis smaxa cabana offal srue vitriol grope hallelujah lentils
ctorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 08:28 AM   #9
treedom
Hall Of Famer

Thanks for the update. I can't say I'm disappointed by the delay. It's the features included in the new version that will decide things for me. Other than Markus' wink-wink about the pitching model in the last thread, I haven't really seen anything to excite me yet. Hopefully, though, the scouting overhaul isn't the centerpiece of the release. That would disappoint me.
Old 03-28-2008, 08:30 AM   #10
Honorable_Pawn
Hall Of Famer

I can't believe this!!!

May he says...MAY!!!

Honorable_Pawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 08:31 AM   #11
falkonisback
All Star Reserve

Thanks for the update Steve!! I can definitely wait a couple more months. Better to make sure the game is working properly than to rush a release and it be filled with bugs. Hell, I say don't release until the bugs are gone and the game is working as intended. I can't wait!!!!
falkonisback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 09:20 AM   #12
akw4572
Hall Of Famer

Thanks for the update, looking forward to it.
akw4572 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 09:25 AM   #13
PotatoPeeler
Hall Of Famer

Will we be able to use the scroll wheel on a Mac?

I have never taken a lesson on how to talk on TV in my life.
- Tim McCarver

Guns have only two enemies; rust and liberals.

The world is a comedy to those that think; a tragedy to those that feel.
PotatoPeeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 10:08 AM   #14
SMFXR01
All Star Starter

I'd be happy to wait until the All-Star break if it meant a product with no/few bugs.
Although having said that, releasing it earlier means that a larger audience might identify problems that were not identified in Beta-testing.Thus providing earlier more comprehensive patches.

Last edited by SMFXR01; 03-28-2008 at 11:20 AM. Reason: spelling
SMFXR01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 10:20 AM   #15
ctorg
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMFXR01 View Post
Although having said that, releasing it earlier means that a larger audience might identify problems that were not identified in Beta-testing.Thus providing earlier more comprehensice patches.
That's the key. You can only beta test something for so long. Eventually you have to put it out there, and there will be errors that beta testers didn't find. And then you patch them. But you don't want it to be so many errors that people get unhappy.

In the past, there have been times when OOTP was released too early, IMO. I think it's better that they wait if it's not ready.

"When the trees blow back and forth, that's what makes the wind." - Steven Wright

Fjord emena pancreas thorax fornicate marmalade morpheme proteolysis smaxa cabana offal srue vitriol grope hallelujah lentils
ctorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 10:37 AM   #16
DWK
All Star Reserve

Thanks for the update
DWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 10:50 AM   #17
cibl commish
All Star Reserve

Thanks for the update.. I have a feeling this will be well worth the little extra wait.
Old 03-28-2008, 11:00 AM   #18
ootp3to6
Hall Of Famer

Smile

Thanks for the update. Pleasant surprise.
The wait will be definitely worth it.
ootp3to6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 12:16 PM   #19
gord
Major Leagues

Nice little birthday present this morning. Anxiously awaiting the new OOTP!
gord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 12:27 PM   #20
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

Good news...I agree, wait until it is ready. Could you possibly delve in a bit more regarding scouting, and exactly how it will function?
PSUColonel is offline   Reply With Quote