Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > Perfect Team

Perfect Team Perfect Team 2.0 - The online revolution continues! Battle thousands of PT managers from all over the world and become a legend.

Old 04-22-2019, 11:42 AM   #1
Mudster
Major Leagues

So this just happened....

Aside from a couple defensive bronze cards, I've been a non cash, all pack player in ootp20. One team has had a few better pulls than the other and squirted it's way into Diamond for this week. Anyways, I wake up to 1005 pts, which always makes me smile because packs, albeit usually frustrating, are still fun. I pulled this.....
Attached Images
Mudster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 11:44 AM   #2
Mudster
Major Leagues

the question is....do i enjoy the ride of my best pull i've had between two seasons or do i auction him off and load up with a thought out team from the AH or just a few diamonds as I have a few holes and 3rd wasn't really one of them.....
Old 04-22-2019, 12:15 PM   #3
CrazyWR
All Star Reserve

what is his going rate? there is a 3rd option of selling him and loading up on more packs. I'd say keep though, if you want a pack only team, you gotta stick with what ya get

EDIT: you can always move him to 1b or DH or something
CrazyWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 12:41 PM   #4
stl jason
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyWR View Post
what is his going rate? there is a 3rd option of selling him and loading up on more packs. I'd say keep though, if you want a pack only team, you gotta stick with what ya get

EDIT: you can always move him to 1b or DH or something

nice pull... echoing the above advice... he should train up to a solid defender at 1B or 2B if you have holes there.. just have to get through the growing pains of training time to get there
stl jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 12:49 PM   #5
CurlyKarkovice
Minors (Triple A)

What level league are you in? IMO it's a long summer, use him for at least a few seasons(weeks real time). If you don't "like" him with his on field play or the way he fits into your team's style then unload him. I don't think this is a card people pull a lot where it's value will diminish as the year progresses.
Old 04-22-2019, 12:51 PM   #6
Mudster
Major Leagues

His AH value is 75k the last 7 and 85k overall....
Old 04-22-2019, 12:57 PM   #7
pappyzan
All Star Reserve

Echoing the option to sell, but then maybe buy a similar card, diamond Tulowitzki for about 15k. Better defense, but a little less power and walks.
pappyzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 01:01 PM   #8
Mudster
Major Leagues

I was promoted to Diamond after winning my division at Gold. This is not a Diamond Level team. They will be lucky to go .400
Attached Images
Image Image 
Old 04-22-2019, 01:13 PM   #9
Mudster
Major Leagues

This team isn't dedicated to packs...it's just been that way so far with the exception of a couple early buys, of which Jankowski is the only one still on the roster. Selling Schmidt would probably net me 6-10 serious upgrades, but I also might not see a card of that level again.
Old 04-22-2019, 01:22 PM   #10
Matt Arnold
OOTP Developer

Yeah, that's the tough balance. To me, if the card was like a 400k sale value, then it's a no-brainer to sell it since with that much return, you can definitely find enough talent to replace him. I had the same thing when I pulled a Trout card a few weeks ago - I tried selling it for like 80-100k back then (was a bit higher than its last few sales), but after a few days or a week of trying, it never sold, so I just kept it. It is nice to have one spot in the lineup which you can trust fully, who has virtually no flaws.

*to add, for anyone saying to play the card at 1B, to me that's a total waste. At 1B he'd only be a little better than some of the cards for Killebrew or Greenberg, so if I needed him to fill 1B, I sell him for 75, and can buy a better offensive 1B for 5-10k, and then have another ton of money to either open more packs or scour the rest of the auction house to fill up the rest of the lineup/pitching staff. Although now that we see the lineup, he heeds that even less, since Carew to me is a great value buy at 1B already.

Last edited by Matt Arnold; 04-22-2019 at 01:25 PM.
Matt Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 06:53 PM   #11
Dogberry99
All Star Starter

Some things to consider that have not yet been mentioned...

I am of the opinion that some cards are more likely than others to retain value (or even increase, if we're lucky). Some obvious examples are the elite defenders at positions like Catcher and Shortstop and the elite contact hitters.

While the card's rarity will help it retain value, I do not know if this is the kind of card that is well positioned to retain as much as others. This card is not an elite level defender, nor is 3B a position where elite defense is in extreme demand. The power and eye are elite, but the contact (and to a lesser extent the avoid k) may not be high enough for many prospective buyers. If it comes with large splits that make him below average from one side of the plate, this could further depress the value. I hope he retains his value, but as players hone in on the specific players they want, I fear that Schmidt may find himself rather unwanted.

Another thing to consider regarding his defensive placement is the competition. At 1B, he should train up to approximately 94. This is rather elite by the standards at the position. It is possible that it could be enough to garner multiple Great Gloves, thereby giving better returns on the value. With a rating of 79 at 3B and plus/minus 82 at 2B, those awards (and the points they bring in) can't be counted on in the same way.

Primary Team

Collection Rewards (Cards & Packs) F2P Theme Team

Movers F2P Theme and Adam Schlesinger Memorial Team
Dogberry99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 11:26 PM   #12
Hawks 27
Minors (Single A)

Definitely recommend converting him to a 1B. He’s become an elite defender there for me and I get to keep his bat in the lineup.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 04-25-2019, 12:06 AM   #13
Mudster
Major Leagues

UPDATE....So I chose to sell him. Got the average sale price of 75k minus the vig. Was able to parlay the points into a much fuller lineup. Pulled in Betts (99), Travis Jackson (91), Dick Bartell (90), Francisco Cordero (90), Bob Hazle (90), Hank Aaron (89), Felix Hernandez (89), Rafael Soriano (86), Charles Nagy (84), and a couple other back end upgrades. For what I had as a team before and after, Mike Schmidt wasn't going to help me win any games. I believe I can actually make a run this year (might be too late) but will be very competitive from here on out. Thoughts?
Attached Images
Image Image 

Last edited by Mudster; 04-25-2019 at 12:08 AM.
Old 04-25-2019, 02:59 AM   #14
herbyhancok
Minors (Single A)

Definitely a huge upgrade overall. I like a good defensive infield as well, but training Bartell at 3B doesn't seem worthwhile for a card you'll probably eventually replace anyhow. If you're looking for a value project to train into an elite defensive 3B there are better options. Right now, gold Robin Ventura is probably a better defensive 3B option. He costs half as much, his overall bat is slightly better and he comes w/ a 90 rating out of the gate at 3B.
herbyhancok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 03:18 AM   #15
Tiger Fan
Hall Of Famer

I had the same dilemma yesterday when I pulled a 98 Jackie Robinson. Far and away the best card I ever got but after some debate I decided to sell him. Think it is the best decision I have made.

Got 80,000 for him and between picks and a couple of purchases have turned that into the following:

Bob Feller (92), Strasburg (89), Whitey Ford (88), Dave Steib (83) plus an 81 rated Joe Sambito and Sean Doolittle (82) for my pen. Big upgrade on Sonny Gray, Ralph Branca (75), Kenta Meada (75) and Michael Wacha (71) in the rotation plus Bruce Hurst (73) and Clay Bucholtz (69) in my pen.

Also was able to move Miguel Sano(78), Walt Dropo (73) and Tony Lazzeri (75) to the bench and insert Josh Donaldson (91), Hank Greenberg (86) and Mel Ott (84) in their places.

It allowed me to turn a lineup that had half a dozen guys rated in the mid 60's on active roster and a ton of low to mid 70s guys to a team that now has 19 guys rated at least 80.

The best part is I still have almost 40,000 points left to fill my remaining holes.

Last edited by Tiger Fan; 04-25-2019 at 03:28 AM.
Tiger Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 08:17 PM   #16
Chico Guilbault
All Star Starter

I never get perfect cards, but I did just pull my 4th Cody Bellinger...maybe I'll come at this a different way.

Chico Guilbault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 01:44 PM   #17
Chico Guilbault
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico Guilbault View Post
I never get perfect cards, but I did just pull my 4th Cody Bellinger...maybe I'll come at this a different way.
Okay, this works too...
Attached Images

Old 04-28-2019, 02:28 PM   #18
mcdog512
Hall Of Famer

Location: Pack Robert Gibson; November 9, 1935 – October 2, 2020
What does his card look like? Most of the lesser Mantles seem kind of bad.
mcdog512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 02:48 PM   #19
Chico Guilbault
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdog512 View Post
What does his card look like? Most of the lesser Mantles seem kind of bad.
I'm going to play him next week and see what we have here.
Attached Images

Old 04-28-2019, 02:49 PM   #20
Chico Guilbault
All Star Starter

And just for good measure...pulled this one right now.
Attached Images