Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager 4 > Franchise Hockey Manager 4 - General Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Franchise Hockey Manager 4 - General Discussion Talk about the latest FHM, officially licensed by the NHL!

Old 05-17-2018, 01:03 PM   #1
kstepanian
Minors (Single A)

Injuries in historical mode

I've been playing some historical games and see that there are a significant number of times when a player will get injured on an off day. So much so that I've turned injuries off. I tried just turning it on when I played games but (a) that was annoying and (b) the first 3 times I did it a player, or multiple players, got hurt. The injuries aren't always long, but the sheer number was out of control, especially for an era when pretty much everyone played every day unless they were almost dead.

I also wonder if in FHM 4 the frequency with which goalies get injured has been turned up. In FHM 3 I almost never saw a goalie get injured, but I see it happen multiple times a season now throughout the league, Much more, it seems, than I see injuries to goalies in real life.

I don't know if the injury engine is "tuned" to expect a lot more games (today's schedule v. older schedule of 50 games), but it seems to need some tuning.

Also, the number of times I see that some player got hurt falling off a room or down the stairs is ridiculous. I know the sensitivity of how injuries are determined has been a bit of an ongoing topic, but it still seems to really need some work.
kstepanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 01:08 AM   #2
JeffR
FHM Producer

Could you upload the save? It sounds like some of these may be from the storyline engine, if that's creating excessive injuries in some years that'll have to be looked at. It's separate from the regular injury procedures.

There haven't been any specific changes to goalie injuries in FHM4. Some of the injuries that typically affect goalies may have had their frequency adjusted one way or the other, but not anything that should've made a wholesale change to goalie injury frequency.
JeffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 04:26 PM   #3
George_Bell
All Star Starter

There are way too many of these falling off a ladder, getting injured in a bbq accident, car accident injuries. WAY TOO MANY.

It absolutely takes away from the realism from the game.
George_Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 05:46 PM   #4
kstepanian
Minors (Single A)

I've uploaded the save: "Kirk Stepanian - original 6" is the name of the file.
Old 05-21-2018, 02:40 AM   #5
JeffR
FHM Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kstepanian View Post
I've uploaded the save: "Kirk Stepanian - original 6" is the name of the file.
Got it, but for this one I need the "messages" folder, too - if it's the storylines that are creating too many injuries, the evidence will be in there.
Old 05-21-2018, 09:03 AM   #6
SharksAttack
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by George_Bell View Post
There are way too many of these falling off a ladder, getting injured in a bbq accident, car accident injuries. WAY TOO MANY.

It absolutely takes away from the realism from the game.

I agree. Someone falls off the ladder or gets to a car accident way too often.

I have had more goalie injuries than in FHM3 but not too many.
SharksAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 04:46 PM   #7
kstepanian
Minors (Single A)

I've uploaded a new version of the file (same name) that includes the messages folder.

Today even though I'm running with injuries turn off I got one of those "Player X fell down the stairs and is out for a month" messages. Of course, the player is not out because the injuries are turned off, but it seems like under the covers something is still being triggered. Maybe this is the storyline piece you're referring to.
Old 05-23-2018, 02:29 AM   #8
JeffR
FHM Producer

It looks like what's happening is the usage restriction for some storylines is being ignored. The falling off ladder/roof/taking out the garbage stories (and a couple of others) are variants of a single storyline, and that storyline is supposed to be limited to happening once every 5-6 years. So, with five variants, you should only see the ladder thing, for example, an average of about 4 times over the course of 100 years of game time. Obviously, it's happening much more often than that, so we have to see what's going wrong.

The strange thing is, the timing restrictions are working properly in some cases - the "Flu" event in 1919 has a 3-day minimum interval set, and it works as it's supposed to. So now the trick is figuring out why it works for some storylines and not others.