Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 17 > OOTP 17 - General Discussions

OOTP 17 - General Discussions Everything about the latest Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 03-19-2016, 08:06 AM   #1
FSUKegman
Minors (Triple A)

How to change the announcer

I am running windows 10 and have changed my default text to speech to Zira but when I am playing out a game I keep hearing the default voice. What am I doing wrong? Thanks in advance!
FSUKegman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 08:20 AM   #2
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

No idea, this feature is experiemental. I don't think you can change anything here.
Markus Heinsohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 09:34 AM   #3
mgom27
Hall Of Famer

He might want to here like Scully or so on.
Old 03-19-2016, 09:53 AM   #4
Giants44
Hall Of Famer

in my heaven - Vince Scully narrates EVERYTHING and I am a Giants fan, that is how good Vince Scully is.

"Judge a man not by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character"
-Martin Luther King

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."
-Einstein

"The man who views the world at 50 the same as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life."
-Muhammad Ali

"Baseball statistics are like a girl in a bikini. They show a lot, but not everything."
-Toby Harrah
Giants44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 05:17 PM   #5
Bengal57
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Is there a way to get Ernie Harwell? I know there is a different game I saw a video of on YT where Ernie is announcing...So I know it must be possible,I am surprised that no one with the know-how has not made an announcers software that is compatible with games. What is the voice now just the reader voice that is with the version of windows tts? So if say I buy software like naturally speaking it can give a better sounding voice than old Dave? Man have Ernie do the games would be the ultimate for me, used to listen to his voice do Tiger games for years. Does anyone have the latest information on anything like tts ?
Old 03-04-2017, 06:20 PM   #6
NoOne
Hall Of Famer

lol, i thought that was an x-files related comment. i didn't even wacth the tv series. that other game likely paid harwell, not synthesized his voice from scratch.

i'm sure google has some reading material for your curiousity.
NoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 06:24 PM   #7
pstrickert
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengal57 View Post
Is there a way to get Ernie Harwell? I know there is a different game I saw a video of on YT where Ernie is announcing...So I know it must be possible,I am surprised that no one with the know-how has not made an announcers software that is compatible with games. What is the voice now just the reader voice that is with the version of windows tts? So if say I buy software like naturally speaking it can give a better sounding voice than old Dave? Man have Ernie do the games would be the ultimate for me, used to listen to his voice do Tiger games for years. Does anyone have the latest information on anything like tts ?
Yes, you can install another voice. IVONA has some good choices. About $45 (US) a pop.
pstrickert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 06:28 PM   #8
pstrickert
Hall Of Famer

If you're running Windows 64-bit, you may need to enter this string in the "run" command. Then you'll be able to choose a different narrator.

%windir%\syswow64\speech\speechux\sapi.cpl
Old 03-04-2017, 09:24 PM   #9
FSUKegman
Minors (Triple A)

I have switched the default voice for my windows 10 but keep getting the same robotic voice in the game. What gives??
Old 03-04-2017, 11:18 PM   #10
pstrickert
Hall Of Famer

Which default voice? What did you switch it to?
Old 03-05-2017, 12:52 PM   #11
FSUKegman
Minors (Triple A)

I am in the "Speech Properties" and have I have 2 options, David or Zira and have changed to both but in the game the voice doesn't change. Not sure what I'm doing wrong.
Old 03-05-2017, 01:27 PM   #12
pstrickert
Hall Of Famer

Are you running the 64-bit version of Windows?
Old 03-05-2017, 01:31 PM   #13
FSUKegman
Minors (Triple A)

64 bit. I have opened my run command box and put in the above command that you posted. It brings up the speech tab and even though I change the voice it won't do it in game.
Old 03-05-2017, 01:41 PM   #14
pstrickert
Hall Of Famer

Then I'm at a loss.
Old 03-05-2017, 06:18 PM   #15
FSUKegman
Minors (Triple A)

No problem. Thank you so much anyway
Old 03-10-2017, 01:25 PM   #16
AustinJames209
Bat Boy

In the next couple of years would be really cool to be a way to pick our own announcers through this idea.
Old 03-26-2017, 06:41 AM   #17
pincaviglia86
Bat Boy

Experimental...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Heinsohn View Post
No idea, this feature is experiemental. I don't think you can change anything here.
Action pc has this narrator stuff down to a science...and has for years. They are a tiny game based on old technology...and this is experimental for you?

Without the immersion of good sound...all the eye candy is just that...eye candy. You can do something as complex as face gen and a little 35 meg game beats you on narrator (it even has narrator word editing) and has had fielding animation since before you even thought of it. Do all the eye candy in the world and set a world record in stats.... but put ernie harwell in the game and i guarantee you will double your sales. Without the immersion it breaks down to boring spreadsheets. Learn from your customers.

Last edited by pincaviglia86; 03-26-2017 at 06:43 AM.
pincaviglia86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 11:44 AM   #18
kit444
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bengal57 View Post

APBA's Baseball for Windows had Ernie Harwell call the pbp. That was about 20 years ago.
kit444 is offline   Reply With Quote