Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Out of the Park Developments > Talk Sports

Talk Sports Discuss everything that is sports-related, like MLB, NFL, NHL, NBA, MLS, NASCAR, NCAA sports and teams, trades, coaches, bad calls etc.

Old 08-06-2012, 07:11 PM   #101
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGH-Adfabre View Post
Just finished it, I missed the 1st half. The handball call was atrocious. Other than that the rest of the game I saw did not look poorly called. Too bad the handball was such a significant play in the game.
The indirect free kick in the box leading to the handball and penalty was called on the 6 second rule. I've watched thousands and played in hundreds of football matches and never seen it called. It's all about context.

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 07:50 PM   #102
TheWrightWay
Minors (Double A)

Usain Bolt is still the fastest man in the world! How much does he have left in the tank?

Will US soccer win the gold?
TheWrightWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 09:18 PM   #103
bubba22plus
All Star Reserve

I agree, the handball call was terrible.

But even if the handball wasn't called, there was still a lot of game time left, USA could have scored a goal to tie the game at any point, and the game winning goal came in the 122nd minute, some 50-60 minutes after the equalizer.

Canada had every opportunity to win the game regardless.
Old 08-06-2012, 09:43 PM   #104
TGH-Adfabre
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RchW View Post
The indirect free kick in the box leading to the handball and penalty was called on the 6 second rule. I've watched thousands and played in hundreds of football matches and never seen it called. It's all about context.
You are correct, I have not played or watched as much soccer but I agree. I do not know why I left that out, I feel the need to blame it on my kids.
Old 08-06-2012, 09:44 PM   #105
TGH-Adfabre
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWrightWay View Post
Will US soccer win the gold?
I watched the W.C. vs Brazil and Japan last year. I am definately watching these finals.
I wish the men had made it.
Old 08-06-2012, 11:51 PM   #106
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba22plus View Post
I agree, the handball call was terrible.

But even if the handball wasn't called, there was still a lot of game time left, USA could have scored a goal to tie the game at any point, and the game winning goal came in the 122nd minute, some 50-60 minutes after the equalizer.

Canada had every opportunity to win the game regardless.
The handball call was not wrong. It should have never occurred except for a very bizarre 6 second call leading to an inside the box indirect FK. That call changed everything.

There was less than 10 minutes left. Considering that it took the US almost 40 minutes to score you have no basis to assume they would inevitably have scored in the last 10 min down by 1 goal. The tactics and push needed when down are very different than when tied.

Hey I know it's sour grapes but I just wish such a good game was won by either side on legitimate better play; not a completely game changing decision that baffled some very experienced football observers.

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
Old 08-07-2012, 01:57 AM   #107
ukhotstove
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RchW View Post
Like most rules when they are brought in the 6 second rule used to be enforced, mostly now the course of action is to book the goalkeeper and like you state you can watch a 1,000 games and probably see it enforced once if your lucky, personally I wouldn't have given a free kick nor a penalty.
ukhotstove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 02:43 AM   #108
The Funk
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukhotstove View Post
Think the moment got to Robson, if her serve had been just average they'd be wearing gold.
I think her first serve looks pretty good at times, but it's inconsistent, her second even more so, she messes up quite a lot of ball tosses. Don't think she's got the mechanics quite right yet. Same story with her ground strokes really, she strikes them nicely but just overhits or nets too often. I hope she keeps improving, seems like a nice girl.

And I'm genuinely pleased for Murray. I hope this becomes a bit of a watershed moment for him in finals.

Really annoyed I just got home from work after the women's elimination race. Laura Trott v Sarah Hammer (amazing cycling name). One of the most exciting events in the whole olympics.

The Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 06:17 AM   #109
ukhotstove
Hall Of Famer

Laura Trott's impressed me even more since I read this.

BBC Sport - 100 Team GB contenders for London 2012: Laura Trott
Old 08-07-2012, 06:21 AM   #110
ukhotstove
Hall Of Famer

Interesting.

BBC News - Olympic success: How much does a gold medal cost?
Old 08-07-2012, 01:23 PM   #111
1998 Yankees
Hall Of Famer

Beating a dead horse alert!

And I intend to keep on flogging it for as long as I want to, as is my OOTPC-given right!

So far, THIS is the highlight of the Olympics for me. And I take more pride in the accomplishment and pleasure in the joy of this American than Michael Phelps or any of the ridiculously over-qualified professionals of the basketball or tennis teams.
Attached Images

Last edited by 1998 Yankees; 08-07-2012 at 01:43 PM.
1998 Yankees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 01:52 PM   #112
1998 Yankees
Hall Of Famer

On the other hand, this makes my scalp itch:
Attached Images
Old 08-07-2012, 04:01 PM   #113
jaxmagicman
Hall Of Famer

Location: Retired defloration-maker living in Myrtle Beach, SC
I find it very funny that a Yankees fan would not like people who do well at the olympics. I figured Michael Phelps would be the go-to guy for Yankee Fans. As for putting an all-star team together to play in the olympics...I will let you see the irony in that.

Major League Baseball trademarks and copyrights are used with permission of MLB Advanced Media, L.P. Minor League Baseball trademarks and copyrights are used with the permission of Minor League Baseball. All rights reserved.
jaxmagicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 04:13 PM   #114
1998 Yankees
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxmagicman View Post
I find it very funny that a Yankees fan would not like people who do well at the olympics. I figured Michael Phelps would be the go-to guy for Yankee Fans. As for putting an all-star team together to play in the olympics...I will let you see the irony in that.
I don't see irony in this. I do see narrow-mindedness and stupidity, however. But, whatever. Got to have a tough skin around here, you know.
Old 08-07-2012, 04:39 PM   #115
jaxmagicman
Hall Of Famer

Location: Retired defloration-maker living in Myrtle Beach, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1998 Yankees View Post
I don't see irony in this. I do see narrow-mindedness and stupidity, however. But, whatever. Got to have a tough skin around here, you know.
You don't see the irony in railing against something that is popular because of winning. You don't see the irony of wanting smaller stories to be shown on TV over the popular ones?

Major League Baseball trademarks and copyrights are used with permission of MLB Advanced Media, L.P. Minor League Baseball trademarks and copyrights are used with the permission of Minor League Baseball. All rights reserved.
jaxmagicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 06:20 PM   #116
1998 Yankees
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxmagicman View Post
You don't see the irony in railing against something that is popular because of winning. You don't see the irony of wanting smaller stories to be shown on TV over the popular ones?
You haven't been following the points that I have been making (or trying to make) in this thread. It's not the winning Americans. It's the conceit and hype that we make over winning Americans. To the point where other winners, Americans or not, are overshadowed by the media and by the money that is being made from professionals who have taken over the Olympics.

Regarding your comment about my being a fan of the Yankees, you make the same mistake that many make here. That is, assuming all Yankees fans, and all New Yorkers, are the same. Take a close look at the 1998 Yankees team. I revere them not just because of the championship and the 125 wins but because of who they were and how they were assembled into winning team. They were not high-priced free agents. The team and the championship were not bought by George Steinbrenner, although he did pay their salaries, granted.

I live in New York. I need a baseball team to follow besides the Long Island Ducks. The Mets are out, and I have followed the Yankees since since I was 12 years old, long before Steinbrenner was ever heard of in New York.

There are many Yankees fans who do not fit your image of loud-talking, vulgar slobs who hate everybody and flaunt 27 championships in peoples faces. For that matter, there are many of us who don't like the Steinbrenners and never have.

Now, if you please, let's get back to the Olympics.
Old 08-07-2012, 06:55 PM   #117
Teddyballgame
Major Leagues

I don't follow the Phelps-Yankees comparison. Quite frankly, people who know nothing about the sport complaining about the hype and conceit of Phelps is silly. If you don't enjoy swimming, I can see that. But, Phelps absolutely and undeniably changed swimming and his accomplishments are deserving of the marvel they receive. Do other deserving, hard-working athletes not get attention because of this? Well sure. But to begrudge Phelps that is silly and asinine.
Old 08-07-2012, 06:56 PM   #118
Kobie
Minors (Triple A)

Rowers need to wear looser shorts.
Old 08-07-2012, 07:14 PM   #119
Déjà Bru
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobie View Post
Rowers need to wear looser shorts.
So do some posters in this thread!

- Bru

Déjà Bru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 07:29 PM   #120
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Déjà Bru View Post
So do some posters in this thread!
I like your splits.

RichW