Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions General chat about the game...

Old 08-04-2012, 12:45 AM   #1
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

How long...

should you be allowed a player who is clear to return to duty from the DL to wallow simply because you don't have room on a roster, whether it's the active roster, AAA, AA or etc? Seems like a cheat to me. You can just let a player sit there until another injury comes along and you need him
PSUColonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 01:05 AM   #2
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUColonel View Post
should you be allowed a player who is clear to return to duty from the DL to wallow simply because you don't have room on a roster, whether it's the active roster, AAA, AA or etc? Seems like a cheat to me. You can just let a player sit there until another injury comes along and you need him
That's very strange. The game will not let me advance if the player is no longer injured and finished the DL stint.

Do you have a different setting?

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 11:40 AM   #3
1998 Yankees
Hall Of Famer

It may depend upon the time of year. During the regular season, no. But offseason and preseason, maybe. Also during playoffs, oddly, but that would be because the playoff rosters must be set until series-end.
1998 Yankees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 11:42 AM   #4
endgame
Hall Of Famer

Are you in commish mode?
Old 08-04-2012, 11:47 AM   #5
1998 Yankees
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by endgame View Post
Are you in commish mode?
Good point, but I play as commish (I'm a spineless person, yes, but it's also for editing convenience; I try to stay within my budgets! Why did you have to bring this up and make me feel guilty all over again. Why? Why? ) and the game stops me when I have a player coming off DL. During the season, for sure.
Old 08-04-2012, 11:55 AM   #6
endgame
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1998 Yankees View Post
Good point, but I play as commish (I'm a spineless person, yes, but it's also for editing convenience; I try to stay within my budgets! Why did you have to bring this up and make me feel guilty all over again. Why? Why? ) and the game stops me when I have a player coming off DL. During the season, for sure.
Well, it's obvious you are working through some OOTP neuroses over the last few days. Been there; done that, with the exception I never really worked through any of it. Ha!

I mention it because there was an issue some time back, wherein if you were in commish mode it would let you idle those players, but I thought we'd fixed it, and your comment indicates it was, so another factor may be at work, as you've suggested. I'm in commish, as well, and always am prompted to move the players. Well, I take that back. I know I receive the prompt to move them off DFA, but I think when I receive the message that a player is ready to be activated, I simply do. I don't know, if I ignore the message, if it would remind me again or not.
Old 08-04-2012, 04:59 PM   #7
OBSL Commish
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Well, it's obvious you are working through some OOTP neuroses over the last few days. Been there; done that, with the exception I never really worked through any of it. Ha!

I mention it because there was an issue some time back, wherein if you were in commish mode it would let you idle those players, but I thought we'd fixed it, and your comment indicates it was, so another factor may be at work, as you've suggested. I'm in commish, as well, and always am prompted to move the players. Well, I take that back. I know I receive the prompt to move them off DFA, but I think when I receive the message that a player is ready to be activated, I simply do. I don't know, if I ignore the message, if it would remind me again or not.
The game lets me keep players idling on the DL when I play in commish mode, too. I have the latest patch as well.
OBSL Commish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 05:49 PM   #8
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RchW View Post
That's very strange. The game will not let me advance if the player is no longer injured and finished the DL stint.

Do you have a different setting?
Minor league players
Old 08-04-2012, 11:30 PM   #9
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Minor league players
Oh, you said active roster.

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 12:47 PM   #10
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

You are correct, you are forced to bring players back to the active roster, but not in the minor leagues. Shouldn't the same apply for minor league rosters though?
Old 08-05-2012, 01:09 PM   #11
1998 Yankees
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
You are correct, you are forced to bring players back to the active roster, but not in the minor leagues. Shouldn't the same apply for minor league rosters though?
Now we're getting someplace. I never see malingerers on my minor league DL, but I have these manager options set. Perhaps, if you are managing these things instead of minor league managers, the game is allowing you to proceed without notifiying you that they are ready for activation. In that case, it probably is just a programming oversight.
Attached Images
Old 08-05-2012, 01:38 PM   #12
1998 Yankees
Hall Of Famer

Because, yes, surer than heck, I cannot advance with a healed big league guy still on the DL, I play as weenie commish, and it's the offseason:

EDIT: Wait a minute, hold that thought. I just cleared the message and didn't do anything and the game is allowing me to advance. I'm going to leave him on the DL and see what happens by Preseason, ST, and Opening Day. (I hate the bastard anyway. He dissed me during the season for our .440 winning percentage and now I'm going to Steinbrenner him. As a matter of fact, if you notice, we improved when he went on the DL as shown by our final .500 record! )
Attached Images

Last edited by 1998 Yankees; 08-05-2012 at 01:42 PM.
Old 08-05-2012, 02:02 PM   #13
1998 Yankees
Hall Of Famer

Yup, the Colonel is correct. The game allowed me to advance well into the regular season with the healed player still on the DL, because I was the commissioner. Only when I turned that option off briefly did the game clamp down and refuse to advance until I resolved the situation.

EDIT: Which is making me rethink the playing as commissioner all the time. Too many inadvertent opportunities to cheat. Besides, there's always the Cannot Be Fired option to allay my fears!
Attached Images

Last edited by 1998 Yankees; 08-05-2012 at 02:08 PM.
Old 08-05-2012, 03:53 PM   #14
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

It is a cheat because you could theoretically "stash" players on the DL until you might need them to replace other injured players. You SHOULD have to make a decision about potentially waiving demoting, or promoting another player to make room on a roster.
Old 08-05-2012, 04:34 PM   #15
CanadaCajanek21
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
It is a cheat because you could theoretically "stash" players on the DL until you might need them to replace other injured players. You SHOULD have to make a decision about potentially waiving demoting, or promoting another player to make room on a roster.
Could also use that exploit in the Rule 5 draft. If there's a decent player, but hurt. You could draft him but stash him on the 60 day DL, therefore not impacting the 40-man roster and leaving him until like August, when you could send him to rehab and then the big club when rosters expand.
CanadaCajanek21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 05:55 PM   #16
endgame
Hall Of Famer

Okay, I've officially logged both this issue and the Cras-standing issue in our reports. I hope both will see a response soon.

On this one, however, I've also inquired if this is by design or not. IMHO, it shouldn't be, but you never know. IMO, the commish mode should allow unlimited ability to change, edit, redo, undo, etc.... but should never be above the rules automatically.

Update you went I know more than I do. Thanks for the comments, guys.
Old 08-06-2012, 09:48 AM   #17
endgame
Hall Of Famer

Answer: That's by design. Commishes are allowed to move on.
Old 08-06-2012, 09:54 AM   #18
ootpFox07
All Star Starter

Quote:
This makes sense for Online League where the commish might be like Corsairs, an impartial commish only. Maybe it should be tweaked so that when your a commish and the game is not in online league mode you have to make the roster update or it stops cold.
Old 08-06-2012, 09:57 AM   #19
Bluenoser
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Which is exactly the way it should be.

If one chooses to play in Commish mode, then one should also choose to police oneself on these sort of things.
Bluenoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 11:03 AM   #20
BeancheBlanco
Minors (Double A)

Quote:
If it really concerns you, you can always just force yourself to activates players who done with the DL, even if it isn't a built-in rule. I agree that there's no reason for it not to be implemented, but not too big of a deal.
BeancheBlanco is offline   Reply With Quote