Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Earlier versions of Out of the Park Baseball > Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions General chat about the game...

Old 04-24-2008, 01:36 AM   #61
Sdpm100
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spark240 View Post
The word on pricing from last time, available right here on this site with a few seconds on the search utility...

There's certainly a "location advantage" for the Europeans.
Not if you want to talk about the game or baseball in general there isn't a "location advantage".
There was an even better thread for OOTP2006. It got a bit heated shall we say.

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...s-dollars.html
Sdpm100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 01:46 AM   #62
Long_Long_Name
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spark240 View Post
The word on pricing from last time, available right here on this site with a few seconds on the search utility...

There's certainly a "location advantage" for the Europeans.
I did mention the tax, and mentioned it was acceptable, in my opinion, because it's ut of their control.

As for the first part you quoted, shouldn't it lead to higher prices in the USA and lower prices in Europe? If you used to make 40 euros on a game sold in the USA and now make 24 or so while always making 35 euros off it, why would you lower the US price? Shouldn't you raise it if you want to raise the income per US copy? I persist to think it is not equitable - if Markus wanted to make a certain amount of euros for each copy sold, there is nothing easier than charging everyone in euros, right? Or, if he really wanted to have a US price, to make it somewhat equivalent to the Euro price instead of even lower? Europeans and Canadians didn't get a break when their currencies weren't worth as much, I don't see why Americans should now. It's not a patriotic thing (I'm as apatriotic as can be), I don't see how it can be equitable that two people, based on location alone, will get the same product, which cost the same to make and deliver, for a hugely different price (other than factors they have no control on, like taxes).

I guess what bugs me most about it is that newsletters and official ads show a price in American dollars... and does not specify that the price varies depending on location. If, at least, the newsletter made it clear that it cost X amount in France and Y amount in Japan and Z amount in Canada, it wouldn't be as bad. I know I'd be pissed if I got a letter saying something will cost me 25 bucks and I end up having to fork over 25 euros instead.
Old 04-24-2008, 01:52 AM   #63
Sdpm100
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long_Long_Name View Post
I did mention the tax, and mentioned it was acceptable, in my opinion, because it's ut of their control.

As for the first part you quoted, shouldn't it lead to higher prices in the USA and lower prices in Europe? If you used to make 40 euros on a game sold in the USA and now make 24 or so while always making 35 euros off it, why would you lower the US price? Shouldn't you raise it if you want to raise the income per US copy? I persist to think it is not equitable - if Markus wanted to make a certain amount of euros for each copy sold, there is nothing easier than charging everyone in euros, right? Or, if he really wanted to have a US price, to make it somewhat equivalent to the Euro price instead of even lower? Europeans and Canadians didn't get a break when their currencies weren't worth as much, I don't see why Americans should now. It's not a patriotic thing (I'm as apatriotic as can be), I don't see how it can be equitable that two people, based on location alone, will get the same product, which cost the same to make and deliver, for a hugely different price (other than factors they have no control on, like taxes).

I guess what bugs me most about it is that newsletters and official ads show a price in American dollars... and does not specify that the price varies depending on location. If, at least, the newsletter made it clear that it cost X amount in France and Y amount in Japan and Z amount in Canada, it wouldn't be as bad. I know I'd be pissed if I got a letter saying something will cost me 25 bucks and I end up having to fork over 25 euros instead.
I think it was in that thread I linked to that I did a calculation if they assume a certain amount of customers would pay by dollars, and the rest played in euros, that they could charge one price and get the same income overall.
I think it came to be like $3 more at that time.
But let's just say it didn't get a good response either from Duffy or from the dollar payers who said they wouldn't pay that extra amount. So it got pretty short thrift.

EDIT - No it wasn't as much a difference as I thought.
http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...ml#post1550192

Last edited by Sdpm100; 04-24-2008 at 01:54 AM.
Sdpm100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 01:54 AM   #64
spark240
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long_Long_Name View Post
As for the first part you quoted, shouldn't it lead to higher prices in the USA and lower prices in Europe? If you used to make 40 euros on a game sold in the USA and now make 24 or so while always making 35 euros off it, why would you lower the US price?
To keep your customers, of course.
spark240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 03:24 AM   #65
Marc Duffy
SI Marketing Wizard

Interesting to see this debate crop up again
Marc Duffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 03:26 AM   #66
Markus Heinsohn
Developer OOTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Duffy View Post
Interesting to see this debate crop up again
Well, that's just the way it is...

I wish I could order music in the iTunes store for $ instead of €
Markus Heinsohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 03:35 AM   #67
Marc Duffy
SI Marketing Wizard

...and I just spent 20 mins skim reading 17 pages from the old thread. What fun
Marc Duffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 11:55 AM   #68
BoofBonser26
Major Leagues

The new feature list looks excellent. I'm psyched for all the great features for online leagues!
BoofBonser26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 12:06 PM   #69
RchW
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Duffy View Post
...and I just spent 20 mins skim reading 17 pages from the old thread. What fun
Not busy these days?

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 01:04 PM   #70
1998 Yankees
Hall Of Famer

I can think of a few folks here, myself included, who are going to love this item:
Quote:
More News Stories: OOTP's news gets even more variety, as we have added even more news stories to the game, including news about individual hitting streaks, team winning streaks, and playoff clinching, and more.
1998 Yankees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 01:19 PM   #71
Ambermonk
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Heinsohn View Post
Well, that's just the way it is...
Through your game, Markus, you allow us to control many many aspects of a baseball universe. You can't be expected to control politics & economics in the real world.

If you can give us a constantly improving baseball game, then you have more than adequately done your job. The real world will just have to sort itself out.