Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 02-10-2020, 09:02 PM   #41
BradS
Minors (Double A)

I'd like to take exception to my owners emails and reply back.
BradS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 02:58 AM   #42
itsmb8
All Star Starter

After getting back into Football Manager, Id like to see OOTP look really, REALLY hard at that game and try to model as much of it as they can into baseball terms. We can have ratings for facilities like Spring Training Complex, your stadium's field, clubhouse, stands, amenities, etc. and can add in ratings for travel methods and road trip lodging that affect things like a player's development, stamina/fatigue, morale, injury frequency, etc.

The amount of detail that game has is insane, and a true baseball version of Football Manager matching that level of depth would be absolutely unreal.
itsmb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 06:38 AM   #43
jimmysthebestcop
Banned

Infractions: 0/2 (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewdodd82 View Post
Ive been playing this game for about 7 years now and its come a long way but this year i barely played due to its stagnation...

I'd love to see expanded player development. Ability to coach players on certain areas of their game. Some players are better at being coached than others, some coaches do a better a better job etc. Theres so much you can do on this level. See ratings change over time and players blossom under the right mentorship and others fall by the way side if you're coaching them wrong.

Also bigger front offices. Seriously Assistant GM and a few coaches, come on now. Wheres my analytic department and scouts. All this can feed back into the player dev side of the game. Football Manger anyone?

3D graphics are such a none factor for me. Its all about the deals, roster management, finances and building winners rather than watching tiny figures slide into first base from half way up.
I actually played Perfect Team more in XX then the base game. Just because it was a breathe of fresh air and that was after hating PT in ootp19.

Just mentioned in another thread I think OOTP is the best baseball sim ever and top 5 sports sim ever. But sometimes it fails at the video game aspect.

I am certainly not a die hard baseball fan but I am die hard gamer and XX just wasn't any fun. Its been there and done that. Yes XX was the best OOTP ever but it still plays like 90% of all the other OOTP titles. And it did feel stale and boring to me. Which is why I switched to PT. Even thoguh I never bought a single card with real money I have a ton of fun playing PT.

I think OOTP could improve upon the entire front office, financial and actual mlb committee type of things.

Like the above person said about adding a minor league level. If your in "godmode" it should be a couple of clicks just like it is. But in challenge mode it doesn't exist. It should actually be part of the game in challenge mode. Using whatever real rules are in place to get another minor level team or change uniforms or change location.

Whether that is owner votes, a committee, some kind of politics whatever.

The entire fanbase and marketing in OOTP bothers me too. That should be part of the game. Whether its getting marketable players, bobble head days, dollar dog days, new stadium new jumbo tron whatever.

OOTP does its job as a gm who builds rosters and staff, a manager day to day operations of setting lineups etc.But it doesn't do anything for higher end functions of baseball.

There are options to do all of that stuff in the game but again its owner more or god mode. It should be a part of the sim. Where fan base and marketing is important. Money, stadiums, sponsors, commercials, personalities are important.

Love the clubhouse mood and relationships but it even needs to go further into all of that.

For everyone that doesn't like it and just wants the sim well there will be toggles to turn it all off like a lot of players do currently.

In my eyes OOTP needs to get better at being a being video game to go beyond best sports simulation, to best sports game, or even best video game sim.

I'm going to buy 21. Def play PT. Probably play several seasons of basegame. But then I'll probably drift away from it when the next big game comes out and forget about it. Unless 21 just Wows me. And I'm just not sure if it does enough video game things to wow me anymore.
jimmysthebestcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 09:01 AM   #44
pauwoo
Hall Of Famer

It’d be cool to be able to import players from one fictional league to another. In an easy way similar to how you can import a historical player into a fictional universe.

the Portland Pioneers | the Los Angeles Leopards
pauwoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 09:37 AM   #45
AKAthatoneguy
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauwoo View Post
It’d be cool to be able to import players from one fictional league to another. In an easy way similar to how you can import a historical player into a fictional universe.
Yes, and export fictional teams as they were at x point in time for use in other modes, etc. I'd like to see whether the best teams in my fictional league could hang with top teams from MLB history or how teams from different eras in my league would do against one another.
AKAthatoneguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 11:26 AM   #46
Orioles1966
Hall Of Famer

I know that you can freeze current roster's of one team or all of the teams in a league but can you freeze individual player's from being moved from the current playing roster?

If no then I would like to see that feature.
Orioles1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 11:56 AM   #47
BirdWatcher
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKAthatoneguy View Post
Yes, and export fictional teams as they were at x point in time for use in other modes, etc. I'd like to see whether the best teams in my fictional league could hang with top teams from MLB history or how teams from different eras in my league would do against one another.
I had never even thought about this but what a fun idea!

The Denver Brewers of the W.P. Kinsella League--
The fun starts here(1965-1971: https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...d.php?t=289570
And continues here (1972-1976): https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...d.php?t=300500
On we go (1977- 1979): https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...d.php?t=314601
For ongoing and more random updates on the WPK:https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...d.php?t=325147, https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...d.php?t=330717
BirdWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 02:02 PM   #48
wallewalls
All Star Reserve

Don't get me wrong, I played a lot of OOTP this year, i just haven't played as much of it since September, whereas in the past I played right up into the next game. Some of that is stuff that's been happening in my personal life, and some of it is fatigue-related. But as we enter a new season, I'm starting to get that usual craving I get every year at this time for more OOTP. I'd like to see the game incorporate some of the new, modern things that baseball FO bring to the game these days. New and improved stats (there should be xFIP and SIERA at this point). Basically give me the FanGraphs player pages (for Major Leaguers at least). Staffs should be expanded, player development, organizational philosophies (ex: my player development staff focuses more on developing velocity than control), improved AI and financial stuff. I'd love to be able to trade for IFA pool money so I can get that hotshot prospect. I don't personally care about 3D or a ballpark creator, it's all cosmetic and i only play out the playoffs anyway, so I hardly use it.

OOTP is not going to be an auto-buy for me this year. I need to see what's different on the actual GM-side of things. If it's more of the same, I will probably just wait for a sale before I buy.
wallewalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 01:21 AM   #49
One Post Wonder
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmysthebestcop View Post
bobble head days, dollar dog days
I'm pretty sure it used to have that. I could be thinking of another game but I'm pretty sure it was the early OOTP's, like OOTP3 and 4 which would have a bobble head day, etc. The problem was that it was just repetitive and you set up the same things as much as you could. It didn't really add to the game.

IMO the OOTP game is stagnant lately exactly because the development emphasis is on PT. I skipped OOTP XX, which is the first version I've missed in a long time, because it really had no updates that interested me. I'm just hoping that since PT is entrenched now, 21 will be back to upgrading the main game, especially in the area of AI coaches and managers which has been half finished for years now - in fact actually gone backward when it comes to coaches, since you get less info about pitching/batting coaches in recent versions than you did in titles like OOTP 11.

Last edited by One Post Wonder; 02-14-2020 at 01:23 AM.
One Post Wonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 07:27 AM   #50
jimmysthebestcop
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Post Wonder View Post
I'm pretty sure it used to have that. I could be thinking of another game but I'm pretty sure it was the early OOTP's, like OOTP3 and 4 which would have a bobble head day, etc. The problem was that it was just repetitive and you set up the same things as much as you could. It didn't really add to the game.

IMO the OOTP game is stagnant lately exactly because the development emphasis is on PT. I skipped OOTP XX, which is the first version I've missed in a long time, because it really had no updates that interested me. I'm just hoping that since PT is entrenched now, 21 will be back to upgrading the main game, especially in the area of AI coaches and managers which has been half finished for years now - in fact actually gone backward when it comes to coaches, since you get less info about pitching/batting coaches in recent versions than you did in titles like OOTP 11.
Yeah a lot gets repetitive in any game but if its still fun some how then its worth. The problem is making it fun over and over.

I'll probably buy 21 anyway but if it doesn't wow me then all future versions are a wait and see approach.

See to me even if they improve the AI and the simulation aspect 200% it will still play almost exactly the same as all the other versions.

I think they were onto something with "challenge mode" i really liked in in 19. But then after a couple of universes it feels like challenge mode is only half complete.

There are no game mechanics in challenge mode to get anything accomplished on the owner/mlb type of level. Since that is considered "god mode" and straight disabled in challenge mode.

I don't things outside of difficulty and setup settings should be disabled but proper mechanics needs to be built. You want to change the draft, or the league, or international stuff, then have a game mechanic built in to get it done.

I would use "challenge mode" in addition to something like a "normal campaign" from your standard video games. Where that game type was always opening day full universe setup for MLB. But it would have built in mechanics to get things changed on the universe level whether that was some kind of voting system, financial system, players union and commissioner committee whatever.

It would still have all the current modes for people who don't like all that extra video game stuff and just want a straight present day sim, or fictional sim, or historical sim.

OOTP just needs something to shake the staleness off. I actually enjoyed PT more then the base game in XX. Just because it felt fresh and I had fun playing it.

But from a video game perspective there is a lot missing. Like its great there are all these graphic and stadium mods but that is because there is no in game mechanic.

And honestly splitting OOTP sales point on multiple store fronts hurts the video game aspect even more. That is why no one uses the steam workshop for it. But even Motorsport Manager had several hundred assets on the steam workshop. The game was released in 2016 and people are still updating their assets and making new ones on the steam workshop and that game is out of production and there isn't even a sequel planned.

Yes OOTP has the workshop but no one will use it because it has independent mods for the non steam version of the game. But then you are only going to attract baseball and sports fans and not fans from the larger video game community.

So if you buy the steam version you are still forced to read the convoluted mod forum here and sift through a decades plus worth of info instead of the nice steam workshop.

And I think that leads to one of the problems OOTP wants to cater to its oldschool baseball sim hardcore fanbase while using PT to attract the wider audience while not using the basegame to attract the wider base.

OOTP XX all time peak user numbers are pretty low Motorsport as an example had 6x the peak user on steam and there is no way Motorsport was as popular as OOTP. But the majority of OOTP users don't get it from steam.

I would love to see Steam numbers vs base that just plays Perfect Team. My gut tells me PT is more popular with the Steam user base.
Old 02-14-2020, 06:57 PM   #51
Calvert98
All Star Reserve

For me, OOTPD has earned enough of my goodwill as a customer with its outstanding product and support over the years, that I am willing to pre-order & buy OOTP 21 and 22 and so forth, basically sight-un-seen at this point.

I like PT, but yea, for me the main focus was and always will be the main game.

I think we are getting close to some OOTP21 info; hopefully that will provide some more confidence to those folks who are on the fence about the direction and progress of the core game.
Calvert98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 04:18 PM   #52
andrewdodd82
Bat Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsmb8 View Post
After getting back into Football Manager, Id like to see OOTP look really, REALLY hard at that game and try to model as much of it as they can into baseball terms. We can have ratings for facilities like Spring Training Complex, your stadium's field, clubhouse, stands, amenities, etc. and can add in ratings for travel methods and road trip lodging that affect things like a player's development, stamina/fatigue, morale, injury frequency, etc.

The amount of detail that game has is insane, and a true baseball version of Football Manager matching that level of depth would be absolutely unreal.
Football Manager level of detail but in baseball! Its the dream
l
andrewdodd82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 08:08 AM   #53
jimmysthebestcop
Banned

I am def buying 21 no matter what. Even if I only get 30-50 hours out of a league it is worth it. If there is no freshness no new hook in 21 I would most likely be out for 22.

Even if 21 improves upon the baseball simulation 1000% I can't see me spending more time on it then I did XX. If a game is going to come out every year then I need something fresh to launch with it every year. Or whats the point of upgrading.

If there is a full version release each year then you have to give the players a freshness a hook or why upgrade? It can't be just to get a better baseball simulation.

Maybe I'm looking at OOTP too much like a gamer and not enough as baseball fan. I'm not sure.
Old 02-16-2020, 09:40 AM   #54
BradG223
Minors (Double A)

I would kill for a play index feature akin to Baseball Reference's.

I love the data dumps available, but I think some improvements could be made to those exports.
BradG223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 02:35 PM   #55
AESP_pres
Hall Of Famer

Same as usual...

I want real 19th century baseball and not a fake progression, if the game can disband team in the minor leagues I don't see why it can't in the major league.

I want the minor leagues before 1914, the players are in the database so I don't see what is the problem.

I want to play real transactions without being forced to use the real injury like it was before OOTP 20.

I want to play historical game with real transaction with minor league included.

The injury thing is why I won't pre-order this year since it's a deal breaker for me.

The complete set (1871 to 1959)

Just the update (1950 to 1959)
AESP_pres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 03:56 PM   #56
itsmb8
All Star Starter

I think once I get OOTP 21 Im going to manually suspend every player that was on the 2017 Astros playoff roster for 80 games to a year. Just to spice it up a bit.
itsmb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 10:39 PM   #57
dave1927p
FHM Moderator

I want Inside the Park Baseball in ootp. Sorry but I will say it every year...

Also want to see draft by team summary screen with major league statistical totals summarized for those players

Last edited by dave1927p; 02-16-2020 at 10:40 PM.
dave1927p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 01:21 AM   #58
sdw1000
All Star Reserve

Infractions: 1/1 (1)
I want a better way to schedule games especially since I play multi era games with only 16 games each. I have to hand write out a schedule each time and it becomes tedious. Especially since I only want each team to play each other once. I end up later getting 2 teams playing each 2x. Just let me input 24 teams for a 16 game season without any repeats.
sdw1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 10:22 AM   #59
falcon4e
Minors (Rookie Ball)

In-game schedule maker. If I want a 16 game season with every game on Sunday I want to be able to input it into a schedule maker and have it set up in seconds. I don't want to open up Excel sheets.

Features that are used in other sports leagues. Franchise player (NFL), non-guaranteed contracts w/ signing bonuses (NFL), Max contracts (NBA) etc.

Association mode that does what it is supposed to do.

Better feeder league integration? Ability to transition from HS-> Col-> MLB (don't know if this works as it could)

Ability to disable minor leagues and just have everyone in camps (kinda like the international complexes).
falcon4e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 12:38 PM   #60
naturaldopamine
Minors (Double A)

Dedicated servers so that online leagues don't suck anymore

"They don't think it be like it is, but it do."
Oscar Gamble
naturaldopamine is offline   Reply With Quote