Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 20 > OOTP 20 - General Discussions

OOTP 20 - General Discussions Everything about the newest version of Out of the Park Baseball - officially licensed by MLB.com and the MLBPA.

Old 01-25-2020, 12:11 AM   #1
Argonaut
All Star Starter

Outfield Shift in the Wrong Direction?

I've noticed this really ever since I started playing OOTP. Not sure if it's a bug or a visual glitch.

Oftentimes when a batter comes to the plate, the outfield will shift in the "wrong" direction. I.E. for a RHB, they'll shift more towards right field instead of left field. I've attached a picture to show what I mean.

Now, I checked Jack Clark and he's a spray hitter. But shouldn't that just put the outfield in a more neutral position? Or do some spray hitters actually hit the opposite way more often? Unfortunately I haven't checked a hitter's tendencies during an outfield shift until just this time with Clark.

I have to say I don't think I've never seen the outfield shift in the "right" direction before, so I don't know what's going on here. I have that kind of stuff set to the AI, and only do substitutions myself.
Attached Images
Argonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 07:46 AM   #2
Reed
All Star Starter

What confuses me is the batters widget where it says, GB Type. At one time I thought that meant the batters tendency and use to shift my outfielders accordingly but then in a post I was told it was just for their infield ground balls, not fly balls or hits to the outfield.
I realize that does not really answer you question but you do have a valid question IMO.
Reed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 01:09 PM   #3
Harry Hibbs
Minors (Double A)

Interesting. I set fielding manually but I always check the batter's spray chart. Sometimes a batter will hit a lot of ground balls to the pull side, but his fly balls will sometimes trend more to the opposite side. That might be a case for shifting the OF to play the batter 'away'.
Harry Hibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 01:12 PM   #4
Rain King
Hall Of Famer

Yea, this is actually a pretty typical real-life defensive setup these days. Players tend to pull the ball on the ground, but when they hit it in the air use all fields or even have reverse-pull data. This is partially why MLB players have tried to start hitting it in the air more...they can naturally use more of the field.
Rain King is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 01:13 PM   #5
Rain King
Hall Of Famer

Example: https://www.fangraphs.com/players/da...ype=battedball
Rain King is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 01:39 PM   #6
CBeisbol
Banned

Came to say what Rain King already said

There's also this

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/the-astr...utfield-shift/
Quote:
the above alignment against the left-handed-hitting Gregory Polanco represented an extreme swing to the left. It appeared counterintuitive, too, with the Astros playing Polanco as if he were an extreme right-handed pull hitter. In this case, the left fielder was near the left-field line, the center fielder shading toward left center, and the right fielder nearly in right center.

But the approach appears to be rooted in logic, too. While most ground balls are pulled, air balls are more evenly distributed, with batters often slightly favoring the opposite field.
Now, if this is actually in the game, who knows
CBeisbol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 02:51 PM   #7
Matt Arnold
OOTP Developer

Yeah, players tend to naturally have a slight opposite field approach to FB, and then some players are worse than others according to their tendencies
Matt Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 03:09 PM   #8
Dyzalot
All Star Starter

I love when OOTP devs can answer something that on its face may appear to be quite wrong, yet is shown to model closely to what we see in real life.
Dyzalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 04:18 PM   #9
CBeisbol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyzalot View Post
I love when OOTP devs can answer something that on its face may appear to be quite wrong, yet is shown to model closely to what we see in real life.
I agree that it's good that OOTP tries to use up to date information in their gsme.
CBeisbol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 11:50 PM   #10
Argonaut
All Star Starter

Interesting, I learned something new about baseball today. Thanks for the info in this thread.

By the way this makes some sense given that my testing has shown defense in RF is way way way more important than LF in OOTP. I thought it might have been solely due to the arm requirement, but if RHB are hitting more flyballs out there, then it starts to make more sense.
Argonaut is offline   Reply With Quote