Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > Perfect Team
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Perfect Team Discover the new amazing online league competition & card collecting mode of OOTP!

Old 02-07-2019, 12:00 PM   #1
captainbuttercream
Minors (Double A)

Question Does anyone have a spreadsheet or formula for estimating OPS?

I think I have an OK idea just looking at players ratings what their OPS could be but I was wo dering if anyone was willing to share a spreadsheet they've made for estimating?

I'd like to be able to get a general idea before dumping a bunch of points on a player, and it would be a good way to test my own judgment.

EDIT: This somehow got posted twice.

Last edited by captainbuttercream; 02-07-2019 at 01:06 PM.
captainbuttercream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 01:10 PM   #2
DonkeyKongSr
All Star Reserve

Here's the formulas straight from my spreadsheet. You'll have to convert to columns for your spreadsheet. And the rows of course...if you drop this on your spreadsheet on row 3 and initially place the ratings columns in AK to AN, you don't have to worry about changing the formulas, then can add and subtract columns while Excel converts the references for you.

OBP:
=((IF(AK3>50,1.089*(AK3*2-100)/2+146,11.08*(AK3/5)+35))+(IF(AN3>50,(AN3-1)*2-50,AN3))+1)/(550+(IF(AN3>50,(AN3-1)*2-50,AN3))+1)

SLG:
=((IF(AK3>50,1.089*(AK3*2-100)/2+146,11.08*(AK3/5)+35))+(0.95*(((AL3)*2-125)/25*7+34.5))+(0.05*(((AL3)*2-125)/25*7+34.5))*2+(IF(AM3>51,(AM3*2-125)/25*8.5+24.5,2*AM3*0.15818182))*3)/550

AK = CON
AL = GAP
AM = POW
AN = EYE

Credit goes to whoever I stole it from on Reddit who stole it from someone on here.

Last edited by DonkeyKongSr; 02-08-2019 at 01:16 PM.
DonkeyKongSr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 01:28 PM   #3
chazzycat
All Star Starter

OPS is a pretty bad stat though. How about an wRC+ formula
chazzycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 06:37 PM   #4
zrog2000
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonkeyKongSr View Post
Here's the formulas straight from my spreadsheet. You'll have to convert to columns for your spreadsheet. And the rows of course...if you drop this on your spreadsheet on row 3 and initially place the ratings columns in AK to AN, you don't have to worry about changing the formulas, then can add and subtract columns while Excel converts the references for you.

OBP:
=((IF(AK3>50,1.089*(AK3*2-100)/2+146,11.08*(AK3/5)+35))+(IF(AN3>50,(AN3-1)*2-50,AN3))+1)/(550+(IF(AN3>50,(AN3-1)*2-50,AN3))+1)

SLG:
=((IF(AK3>50,1.089*(AK3*2-100)/2+146,11.08*(AK3/5)+35))+(0.95*(((AL3)*2-125)/25*7+34.5))+(0.05*(((AL3)*2-125)/25*7+34.5))*2+(IF(AM3>51,(AM3*2-125)/25*8.5+24.5,2*AM3*0.15818182))*3)/550

AK = CON
AL = GAP
AM = POW
AN = EYE

Credit goes to whoever I stole it from on Reddit who stole it from someone on here.
Interesting that Avoid K isn't present in the OBP formula.
zrog2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 06:46 PM   #5
chazzycat
All Star Starter

avoid k has no effect on offensive output as far as most stats are concerned, which don't count things like moving runners over, or getting on base from a fielding error.
Old 02-08-2019, 06:50 PM   #6
RchW
Hall Of Famer

LOL what is the correlation of estimated OPS to actual performance?

RichW

If you’re looking for a good cause to donate money to please consider a Donation to Parkinson’s Canada. It may help me have a better future and if not me, someone else. Thanks.

“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.” Frank Wilhoit
RchW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 07:04 PM   #7
zrog2000
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RchW View Post
I'm taking it as relative to each other, not actual estimated anything. Or maybe you could subtract 250-300 points for perfect leagues.
Old 02-08-2019, 07:08 PM   #8
Dogberry99
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chazzycat View Post
avoid k has no effect on offensive output as far as most stats are concerned, which don't count things like moving runners over, or getting on base from a fielding error.
As I understand it, avoid k is one of several ratings used to construct the contact rating. As such, it does have an effect, but it is baked into the contact rating, so including avoid k's would potentially overrepresent its effect.

Primary Team

Collection Rewards (Cards & Packs) F2P Theme Team

Movers F2P Theme and Adam Schlesinger Memorial Team
Dogberry99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 07:10 PM   #9
joehart
All Star Starter

While the actual OPS prediction is way too high and not accurate, it gives a general sense of who will be a good player (confirming the simple eye test).

However, once you apply actual results, ballpark adjustment, platoons... you can further adjust the top list for all the positions.

I assume this is what the initial poster was looking for....matching numbers with his eye test. In this regard, it works well enough.

joehart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 07:12 PM   #10
chazzycat
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogberry99 View Post
As I understand it, avoid k is one of several ratings used to construct the contact rating. As such, it does have an effect, but it is baked into the contact rating, so including avoid k's would potentially overrepresent its effect.
That may be true, because contact rating certainly does matter. But I can tell you that I looked at the data from half a million ABs sample size and Avoid K had zero correlation with OPS, wOBA, wRC+ or anything else I could think of.
Old 02-08-2019, 07:32 PM   #11
DonkeyKongSr
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by RchW View Post
Not totally uncorrelated. Below are all the batters in my 3 leagues (Perfect + 2 Diamonds). Like cards have been combined with stats recalculated for the new combined player.

The real question is whether OBP/OPS correlate with a winning team.
Attached Images
Image Image Image 
Old 02-08-2019, 07:46 PM   #12
DonkeyKongSr
All Star Reserve

And while we are at it, here's some very strong correlations...
Attached Images
Old 02-08-2019, 07:48 PM   #13
chazzycat
All Star Starter

yeah strikeouts vs Avoid K I think has the highest correlation of anything, IIRC.

makes 100% perfect sense considering that strikeouts are the first statistic to "stabilize".

https://library.fangraphs.com/principles/sample-size/

these guys know their baseball.
Old 02-08-2019, 07:50 PM   #14
DonkeyKongSr
All Star Reserve

And another one. The game's ratings are pretty much indicative of what they say. Contact is tougher to see any correlations, because as said above, it involves way more factors.
Attached Images
Old 02-08-2019, 09:26 PM   #15
DonkeyKongSr
All Star Reserve

While I'm at it, here's charts I did for pitchers last season in my Perfect League. This is individual players, not combined like cards. As you can see, all 3 ratings have a correlation to what you'd expect:
Attached Images
Old 02-09-2019, 09:45 PM   #16
pgjocki
All Star Starter

I ran this against my team currently in Gold and everyone of my guys actual performance numbers is under this total by 30 to 75 points. Interestingly enough my Trout card has a lifetime OPS of .416 and this calculation was .456 but Trout was my highest card and has the highest OPS over the last 4 seasons.

Now, I don't know if I would build a team around this yet but I will definitely use it to choose between spending 5,000 PP or 20,000 PP for my next upgrade.

Edit: I'm dense and was looking at OBP and not OPS which the numbers are then WAY off.

Last edited by pgjocki; 02-09-2019 at 09:46 PM.
pgjocki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 06:43 AM   #17
2002halos
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zrog2000 View Post
I'm taking it as relative to each other, not actual estimated anything. Or maybe you could subtract 250-300 points for perfect leagues.
Yeah, these formulas will just get you expected numbers in average leagues, probably not taken from Perfect Team play, so good for relative comparisons but not much more.

To really predict/estimate, you need to include the expected environment in the formula, by which I mean the expected STU, MOV and CON of the average pitcher faced (which obviously increases dramatically at higher levels), as well as the park factors, and probably average defense faced. This would be more useful as it would help set lineups for a full season or a postseason series. And it could be used in reverse (pitcher ratings vs environment average hitter ratings) to make pitching rotation and bullpen decisions.

I'm working on such a formula, but have a long ways to go, as the data prep is slow (determining average environment faced by each team takes a while).

Last edited by 2002halos; 02-11-2019 at 06:44 AM.
2002halos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 10:24 AM   #18
Echo127
Minors (Single A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chazzycat View Post
I thought this for a long time, but just this weekend I set up a "test" league to investigate stuff like that, and it turns out that Avoid K *does* have an impact on offensive output beyond raising the value of the Contact rating and and converting strikeouts to ground/fly outs.

I made 2 teams in which every player on each team was identical, then tweaked 1 player to have a higher Avoid K but a lower BABIP (so that his resulting contact rating was identical to the other players). I then ran a handful of 10,000 game seasons via the simulation module and found that the high Avoid K player was consistently the best player in the league. I don't have the #'s in front of me, but IIRC he typically had an OPS 20pts higher than the rest of the league.

My theory is that every time the higher Avoid K stat turns a strike 3 into a foul ball (rather than a ball in play) that player has an extra chance at a hit that he wouldnt have gotten if his contact rating was BABIP-driven rather than Avoid K-driven.
Echo127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 10:30 AM   #19
zrog2000
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echo127 View Post
I thought this for a long time, but just this weekend I set up a "test" league to investigate stuff like that, and it turns out that Avoid K *does* have an impact on offensive output beyond raising the value of the Contact rating and and converting strikeouts to ground/fly outs.

I made 2 teams in which every player on each team was identical, then tweaked 1 player to have a higher Avoid K but a lower BABIP (so that his resulting contact rating was identical to the other players). I then ran a handful of 10,000 game seasons via the simulation module and found that the high Avoid K player was consistently the best player in the league. I don't have the #'s in front of me, but IIRC he typically had an OPS 20pts higher than the rest of the league.

My theory is that every time the higher Avoid K stat turns a strike 3 into a foul ball (rather than a ball in play) that player has an extra chance at a hit that he wouldnt have gotten if his contact rating was BABIP-driven rather than Avoid K-driven.
I'm also inclined to believe that Avoid K is more than just an almost meaningless rating that is already baked into the Contact rating. Thanks for doing the work on that.
Old 02-11-2019, 01:14 PM   #20
chazzycat
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echo127 View Post

Very interesting! I'm not quite sure how to explain the data I saw in that case. Will have to keep looking into it.

BTW how do you access that "simulation module"?