Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 19 > Perfect Team
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Perfect Team Discover the new amazing online league competition & card collecting mode of OOTP!

Old 01-03-2019, 06:10 PM   #81
mcdog512
Hall Of Famer

Location: Pack Robert Gibson; November 9, 1935 – October 2, 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddox View Post
Man, I feel like if I could get my pitchers to perform up to snuff that I could be more competitive. The thing is that I don't feel like the starters and at least the top of my bullpen is that bad but they consistently rank near the bottom of the conference.

My offense more than holds their own. Although someone needs to explain how Hack Wilson is a .208 hitter? How hack Wilson, with 85 power and 69 contact can only have 10 home runs while Tom Herr with 32 power and 66 contact has 7?

As I recall wasn't Herr a switch hitter? What do his L/R splits look like?
mcdog512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 06:18 PM   #82
DonkeyKongSr
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdog512 View Post
Holy cows, Saw a Nap Lajoie card in the auction house. Had to have it. That dude has some crazy contact and gap. Got him for 75k buy it now but it’s gotta be worth more although it’s hard to want to sell a card like that.
Yeah, I believe he's the highest rated Contact and Gap. Some of those Dead Ball guys (he, Gavvy Cravath, King Kelly) are insanely high-rated hitters due to their quality of competition more than anything. I'm betting many modern high school players are actuallly better players than any of them.

EDIT: Just reread and realized you actually snagged him for 75K. Damn, lesser hitters (maybe more well-rounded players) are going for 6 figures.

EDIT: 2nd in Contact to Cobb, but 1st vs. LHP.

Last edited by DonkeyKongSr; 01-03-2019 at 06:49 PM.
DonkeyKongSr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 06:25 PM   #83
mcdog512
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonkeyKongSr View Post
Yeah, I believe he's the highest rated Contact and Gap. Some of those Dead Ball guys (he, Gavvy Cravath, King Kelly) are insanely high-rated hitters due to their quality of competition more than anything. I'm betting many modern high school players are actuallly better players than any of them.

They faced some pretty ****ty pitchers all right.
Old 01-03-2019, 06:26 PM   #84
mcdog512
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

EDIT: Just reread and realized you actually snagged him for 75K. Damn, lesser hitters (maybe more well-rounded players) are going for 6 figures.

Yea, I had to buy some points and get him for 75k. I really really never intended to spend so much money but OOTP guys gotta be giggling as to how this mode is going.
Old 01-03-2019, 06:29 PM   #85
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I am willing to bet that Nap Lajoie is better than any high school player that ever lived. Set up the contest and let me know when it is ready.
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 06:34 PM   #86
mcdog512
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcin View Post
I am willing to bet that Nap Lajoie is better than any high school player that ever lived. Set up the contest and let me know when it is ready.

Deadball haters!

Yea, he set the standard although Rodgers Hornsby was a pretty good second baseman......He was actually available in the auction house too for 85k but man, Napoleon was just too good to pass up at a cheaper price.

Last edited by mcdog512; 01-03-2019 at 06:35 PM.
Old 01-03-2019, 06:35 PM   #87
Zorro
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Holy cows, Saw a Nap Lajoie card in the auction house. Had to have it. That dude has some crazy contact and gap. Got him for 75k buy it now but it’s gotta be worth more although it’s hard to want to sell a card like that.
Yes, I had to get him also when I saw him. I had to move Hornsby to DH to accommodate him..
Zorro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 06:40 PM   #88
mcdog512
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorro View Post
Yes, I had to get him also when I saw him. I had to move Hornsby to DH to accommodate him..

lol, I had to move Betts to Third which he has never played for the same reason. Poor Richie Allen now relegated to the bench.

edit: Still not sure which was the better card, Lajoie or Hornsby.....super duper stud 2nd baseman.

edit edit: I did get the joke by the way...:^)

Last edited by mcdog512; 01-03-2019 at 06:46 PM.
Old 01-03-2019, 06:46 PM   #89
DonkeyKongSr
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Well, the only contest that can somewhat replicate that is OOTP PT, so I guess you win since the system says he's a better contact+gap hitter than anyone else while rarely, if ever, seeing a 90+ MPH ball thrown his way in real life.
Old 01-03-2019, 06:50 PM   #90
mcdog512
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Well, the only contest that can somewhat replicate that is OOTP PT, so I guess you win since the system says he's a better contact+gap hitter than anyone else while rarely, if ever, seeing a 90+ MPH ball thrown his way in real life.

How did they measure speed back then anyway to even know how hard they threw?
Old 01-03-2019, 07:02 PM   #91
DonkeyKongSr
All Star Reserve

Quote:
How did they measure speed back then anyway to even know how hard they threw?
Scientific methods like racing horses and motorcycles.

Come on guys, I know some of you are old, but not so old to really think that guys who played 100+ years ago are even comparable athletes to modern MLB players. Versus their competition, they were elite. Versus modern pitching & hitting, they'd struggle mightily.

EDIT: I'm 41, so I'm semi-really old.

Last edited by DonkeyKongSr; 01-03-2019 at 07:08 PM.
Old 01-03-2019, 07:05 PM   #92
mcdog512
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Scientific methods like racing horses and motorcycles.

Come on guys, I know some of you are old, but not so old to really think that guys who played 100+ years ago are even comparable athletes to modern MLB players. Versus their competition, they were elite. Versus modern pitching, they'd struggle mightily.
No, and those guys also did not have the training methods of modern athletes so it goes both ways. I get guys are naturally getting bigger but had these guys been training the same way, where would they stack up? You don't know. So we judge players on how they competed against their peers since they really had no option to warp into the future and work out like demons.

edit: Yea, I guess that would be semi old Donkey...maybe on the low side though.

Last edited by mcdog512; 01-03-2019 at 07:13 PM.
Old 01-03-2019, 07:12 PM   #93
DonkeyKongSr
All Star Reserve

Quote:
No, and those guys also did not have the training methods of modern athletes so it goes both ways. I get guys are naturally getting bigger but had these guys been training the same way, where would they stack up? You don't know. So we judge players on how they competed against their peers since they really had no option to warp into the future and work out like demons.
Yeah, maybe if the game was "What of Nap Lajoie was born in 1990?", then yeah, the ratings could make sense. So, I'll just go with that, because using the "What if Nap Lajoie went in a time machine to play in 2018?" methodology doesn't jive with the ratings.
Old 01-03-2019, 07:16 PM   #94
mcdog512
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Yeah, maybe if the game was "What of Nap Lajoie was born in 1990?", then yeah, the ratings could make sense. So, I'll just go with that, because using the "What if Nap Lajoie went in a time machine to play in 2018?" methodology doesn't jive with the ratings.

That really is the bottom line. Do you rate every modern guy way better because they trained better? I wouldn't and they didn't but you seem to disagree. That's cool, we all have our opinions.
Old 01-03-2019, 08:01 PM   #95
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Come on guys, I know some of you are old, but not so old to really think that guys who played 100+ years ago are even comparable athletes to modern MLB players. Versus their competition, they were elite. Versus modern pitching & hitting, they'd struggle mightily.
Take your pampered athlete from today, put him on trains all night, give him no personal trainer, no weight room, no supplements, no film study, no hitting coach, and subject him to Ty Cobb coming in on a double play ball... then tell me modern players are better.
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 08:04 PM   #96
mcdog512
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Take your pampered athlete from today, put him on trains all night, give him no personal trainer, no weight room, no supplements, no film study, no hitting coach, and subject him to Ty Cobb coming in on a double play ball... then tell me modern players are better.

LOL, or Ty Cobb period.

Back on topic in this 5th season one of the discussion points is Nappy Lajoie and he's now 1 for 9.

edit: I guess he got a couple of hits while I was playing a little Marvin Gaye on my bass on Rocksmith. Now he's hitting .238 - small sample size.

Last edited by mcdog512; 01-03-2019 at 08:09 PM.
Old 01-03-2019, 08:16 PM   #97
Maddox
All Star Reserve

Quote:
As I recall wasn't Herr a switch hitter? What do his L/R splits look like?
.270 against lefties
.293 against righties
Maddox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 10:19 PM   #98
makinitmine
Minors (Rookie Ball)

I really thought I'd like this game mode, but tbh it doesn't hold my attention. I check it maybe a few times a week, see how much PP I have and maybe get something off auction or open packs....other than that I don't touch it.
Old 01-03-2019, 11:46 PM   #99
scott1964
Hall Of Famer

This is ridiculous No offense or pitching

PETA.....People Eating Tasty Animals.

scott1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 11:52 PM   #100
Morug
Major Leagues

June was a good month but july is just ridiculously bad, maybe my worst month to date in PT with 3-21. I only change one pitcher, Max Scherzer but that was not a good idea...0-4 with 8,01. I think PT dont like we change pitcher in the middle of a season. Hope I dont stay in Diamond league one more season.
Morug is offline   Reply With Quote