Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Franchise Hockey Manager 3 > Franchise Hockey Manager 3 - General Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Franchise Hockey Manager 3 - General Discussion Talk about our latest hockey manager game, officially licensed by the NHL!

Old 11-04-2016, 03:17 PM   #1
Templer
Minors (Triple A)

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
Question The Path to Glory mode - How do you like it?

It's a lot of fun to me.
Templer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 03:49 PM   #2
Torgonius
All Star Reserve

I've played it, and it has a lot of potential, but I'm not going to really dive into it until the DB get sorted out more. Once the minor issues are cleared up, I'm looking forward to giving it a good workout.

Because of the new tactics system, my wife has had to remind me that she's still around. It's an incredible start, and I can't wait to see how they fine tune it.

I'm sticking with Sandbox/commissioner mode for now. Have sent Jeff a PM offering my services to help take the DB from 99% to 99.9%.

Last edited by Torgonius; 11-04-2016 at 03:59 PM.
Torgonius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 09:05 PM   #3
AlpineSK
All Star Starter

Not a fan. You can't dictate development and the trade logic is a crapshoot. Also I can't fire my head coach when I take over the team to bring in "my guys" if you will.

More times than not I find myself just clicking to the next day and not doing anything.

Sandbox has all of the same good features of the game without a few of the other annoyances.

2013 Boston Red Sox

Or my blogs:

http://www.medicsbk.com

The Sports Medic
AlpineSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 07:02 AM   #4
Sebastian Palkowski
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineSK View Post
Not a fan. You can't dictate development and the trade logic is a crapshoot. Also I can't fire my head coach when I take over the team to bring in "my guys" if you will.

More times than not I find myself just clicking to the next day and not doing anything.

Sandbox has all of the same good features of the game without a few of the other annoyances.
It is still the mode that will see the most attention from us going forward.
Old 11-05-2016, 07:59 AM   #5
julius
Minors (Single A)

Unfortunately, for reasons described in other posts, that would be a big mistake. Removing user flexibility and options is never a winning proposition. Your marketing of PtG as an exciting new feature is, frankly, misleading.
julius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 08:20 AM   #6
Nino33
Major Leagues

IMO previous attempts by FHM to include significant "user flexibility and options" hurt way more than helped, and I applaud the idea of first focusing resources on producing a high quality hockey GM/Head Coach simulation (I think this should have been the approach from day 1)
Nino33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 08:25 AM   #7
Sebastian Palkowski
Developer

And that is exactly what we gonna do: concentrate on the real world scenario including more realistic existing leagues/tournaments and the real world GM/Coach day to day operations. That is more then enough work for such a small team.
Old 11-05-2016, 09:32 AM   #8
Smetana
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torognius View Post
I've played it, and it has a lot of potential, but I'm not going to really dive into it until the DB get sorted out more. Once the minor issues are cleared up, I'm looking forward to giving it a good workout.

Because of the new tactics system, my wife has had to remind me that she's still around. It's an incredible start, and I can't wait to see how they fine tune it.

I'm sticking with Sandbox/commissioner mode for now. Have sent Jeff a PM offering my services to help take the DB from 99% to 99.9%.
What issues are you having with the database? If it's the NHL you're concerned about, I'm always open to suggestions and critique. Shoot me a PM or post your concerns.
Old 11-05-2016, 09:55 AM   #9
Torgonius
All Star Reserve

PM sent. It isn't anything NHL related. Just some minor issues that caused a specific hangup for me, that would not qualify as a high priority thing for the game in general. I'm very glad to be able to help get it fixed.
Old 11-05-2016, 10:07 AM   #10
Benexcelsior
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastian Palkowski View Post
And that is exactly what we gonna do: concentrate on the real world scenario including more realistic existing leagues/tournaments and the real world GM/Coach day to day operations. That is more then enough work for such a small team.
I understand that some people are resistant to change. Path to Glory is a cool idea and I find it exciting to play more realistic existing leagues and real world GM/Coach day to day operations.

But right now I feel that PtG is not ready. (personal opinion)
- The trade AI, waiver wire and the FA signing is killing the realism for me right now.
- As a GM, there is not much to do day to day, I would like to keep my player happy but I don't even know why there unhappy most of the time.
- As a GM, the only option you have in team control settings is Scouting. The only control I have over my team is the scouting?
- As a GM you can't even decide what type of team you want to build because the head coach is in charge of the tactical system. If there was a way to choose a Team Mentality, this way you know a little bit more about the other teams and make it easier for AI team to focus on a type of play instead of patching holes in the line up.
- As a coach, I cannot win the Jack Adams trophy, which kills a part of the realism again.
- If I hire a new assistant coach, I cannot assign him to a new job...he is just listed as an assistant coach on the team I now don't have any offensive coach for example.

These are some examples of my gameplay experience.

I really like the idea of a Path to Glory mode. It seems to be your main focus for years to come and I understand that you stick to your gun. I just feel like still playing a beta version game. Don't get me wrong, there are ways to enjoy this game, but it feels incomplete in many ways.

Last edited by Benexcelsior; 11-05-2016 at 10:10 AM.
Benexcelsior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 10:15 AM   #11
penguino2009
Minors (Rookie Ball)

I like it but it still needs some work. There is no training camp, which was one of my favorite features in EHM. I think the roster limit should not be enabled until the same time when waivers are enabled, so that we can pull up some of our fringe players to battle for a spot without sending someone else down, as it is a hastle and often makes my players unhappy. I also think signing Unsigned Draftees and unsigned RFA's should be possible until December 1st as it is in real life, as opposed to Aug 31. And whenever I keep someone foreign up for a while before sending them to juniors I always get an error msg saying the 'foreigner limit has been exceeded'. IRL the junior teams make room for foreigners, instead of doing nothing. and with the removal of commish mode I can no longer edit the players nationality, so this needs to be fixed.
penguino2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 11:32 AM   #12
Sebastian Palkowski
Developer

I don´t say it is perfect (what game is?) but every great game series (like OOTP or FM) grew over time (in both cases almost/more then 20 years). We will continue to grow the FHM series with every update and new version, using our time and resources to make this mode better and better over time.
Old 11-05-2016, 12:19 PM   #13
Benexcelsior
Minors (Rookie Ball)

I totally agree with you Sebastian and I wish you guys all the success possible.

I just believe that this game has gotten very big and maybe some gameplay elements got lost during the making of the game.

In March, you wrote on TBL : "Immersion is something we want to improve greatly. We will make events like the draft or trading deadline day more interesting and of course work on the pre-season."

I believe that focusing on these elements would greatly improve the overall experience, but there is actually nothing special happening on these particular days. You actually BUMP into the draft while clicking next day. Next thing you know you have to pick a player and didn't even realise it was Draft Day! Moreover, there is no training camp, wich means no focus on pre-season either.

I do believe immersion is the key element missing on PtG. A lot of people, including myself, will continue supporting FHM products, but all I can do with this game right now is waiting for an update hoping it will solidify the game experience.

Ben

Last edited by Benexcelsior; 11-05-2016 at 12:28 PM.
Benexcelsior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 12:29 PM   #14
Sebastian Palkowski
Developer

Of course we want to improve those things but many other things need to be added/tweaked as well. It will come over time. That`s why we concentrate on mostly one mode (the one we see the biggest potential), so we can further improve it as quickly as possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benexcelsior View Post
I totally agree with you Sebastian and I wish you guys all the success possible.

I just believe that this game has gotten very big and maybe some gameplay elements got lost during the making of the game.

In March, you wrote on TBL : "Immersion is something we want to improve greatly. We will make events like the draft or trading deadline day more interesting and of course work on the pre-season."

I believe that this focus would greatly improve the overall experience, but there is actually nothing special happening on these particular days. You actually BUMP into the draft while clicking next day. Next thing you know you have to pick a player and didn't even realise it was Draft Day! Moreover, there is no training camp, wich means no focus on pre-season either.

I do believe immersion is the key element missing on PtG. A lot of people, including myself, will continue supporting FHM products, but all I can do with this game right now is waiting for an update hoping it will solidify the game experience.

Ben
Old 11-05-2016, 01:09 PM   #15
tem316
Minors (Triple A)

I love it. I started unemployed, and took a job in Junior. I had finished a complete year and managed to get my team to the playoffs. However, I lost that entire season when FHM3 crashed this morning. Even with saves, it was gone. Two attempts to start new career have so far failed (and I am currently downloading the .65 update hoping to get my new career off the ground.
ONE SUGGESTION...when starting a career, it would be nice to be able to access the League Rules for the League prospective teams are in. You can see roster, but not rules.
tem316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 01:11 PM   #16
tem316
Minors (Triple A)

Does Path for Glory ever have the NHL Expansion for next year, or will I need to go to the Sandbox Mode for that? Also, Sim GM's never ask my teams to trade. Do they ever? I see trades between the Sim GM's, but not on trade offer.

Last edited by tem316; 11-05-2016 at 01:23 PM.
tem316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 01:42 PM   #17
Wan6Tent
Bat Boy

I dont like that we can only sim for a day at a time. If your not coaching then not much happens most days. I wish we could do 3 days at a time if we wanted.
Wan6Tent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2016, 02:28 PM   #18
Torgonius
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by tem316 View Post
Does Path for Glory ever have the NHL Expansion for next year, or will I need to go to the Sandbox Mode for that?
The NHL still hasn't nailed down exactly how expansion is going to work yet, so the game can't simulate it. The devs have talked about putting that in either an update once the plans are known, or in FHM4 if the NHL hasn't figured things out in time. They haven't' even picked a name for the team yet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tem316 View Post
Also, Sim GM's never ask my teams to trade. Do they ever? I see trades between the Sim GM's, but not on trade offer.
Do you have any players up on the trade block? Once you get one or two players up there, you should see offers start to trickle in.
Old 11-05-2016, 02:29 PM   #19
Torgonius
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wan6Tent View Post
I dont like that we can only sim for a day at a time. If your not coaching then not much happens most days. I wish we could do 3 days at a time if we wanted.
I usually do one day at a time, even in sandbox, and I know the devs have stated repeatedly that PtG is not meant to be a fast sim game, but maybe there is a compromise available in the form of simming to the next game.
Old 11-05-2016, 02:43 PM   #20
SlyBelle
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torognius View Post
The NHL still hasn't nailed down exactly how expansion is going to work yet, so the game can't simulate it. The devs have talked about putting that in either an update once the plans are known, or in FHM4 if the NHL hasn't figured things out in time. They haven't' even picked a name for the team yet.

Do you have any players up on the trade block? Once you get one or two players up there, you should see offers start to trickle in.
I have received offers, even without people on trade block...maybe nothing worth trading for on your team
SlyBelle is offline   Reply With Quote