Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 15 > OOTP 15 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 15 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2014 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 01-01-2015, 01:18 AM   #221
canadian content
Minors (Triple A)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ3K View Post
I leave fielding rating on 1-5 because I am not well versed on defensive metrics.
So, will the defensive ratings be 100% accurate?
canadian content is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 04:46 AM   #222
darkcloud4579
Hall Of Famer

I have them turned on, because I figure like real life they're just a crapshoot and then teams can spend a ton to get them and they can perform or not, but I like the idea of having them. Not always, though. It's a seasonal thing, but I like the roll of the dice element
darkcloud4579 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 09:01 AM   #223
saturn2187
All Star Reserve

I still haven't figured out how to leave ratings on for just one category (defense), or maybe speed.
saturn2187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 11:37 AM   #224
MBarrett
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturn2187 View Post
I still haven't figured out how to leave ratings on for just one category (defense), or maybe speed.
You can't do just one, but you can leave Defense & Speed on. League Options -> Global Settings -> "Other Player Ratings Scale"
MBarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 01:13 PM   #225
Mr. Marlin
All Star Starter

Here is the benefits of stats only.

Let me tell you the story of fictional player Jason Padgett. He was a middle of the road, power hitting first baseman who went through 3 full seasons in college with an OPS over 1.00 and a batting average south of .260. My scout didn't think much of him as a prospect but I had him as the #2 infielder in that draft pool. However my first priority in that draft was starting pitching so when my 5th round pick rolled around I was pleasantly suprised to see he was still on the board. So I took him.

The Rookie league manager didn't think much of hime either, I had to Force Start him. He didn't do much so by the end of the season I figured I had just whiffed on that one. I promoted him to A because I promote all rookie leage players to A after 1 season ( after that it's up or out) and he started hitting the ball. He spent 1 season in each level up to AAA and there he hit 28 HR and was the leading hitter in the PCL. And STILL my scout insisted he didn't have a major league makeup. I got curious and turned rating on just to see, OSA didn't like him much better. On the 2 to 8 he was a 3-4. I promoted him last season. This season he's leading the league in SLG & RBI and has hit 54 HR. My league record going back 38 seasons is 58 and there are 5 games to go so it's a good possibility the 1st baseman my scout didn't want will be the next HR king.

Oh the scouts love him now. They are calling him an elite offensve player. The moral of the story is, numbers talk, ratings walk!

Last edited by Mr. Marlin; 01-02-2015 at 01:14 PM.
Mr. Marlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 01:50 PM   #226
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Marlin View Post
Here is the benefits of stats only....
The moral of the story is, numbers talk, ratings walk!
Your story is the same with ratings on. The only difference is that you would make a choice to ignore mediocre or bad ratings and draft/play the player over the objections of your minor league manager and scout. You would do it for the same reasons, i.e. because you like something about the stats or the player's attributes. I do it a lot. I play with ratings on, but I don't ignore stats. That would be stupid. The two sets of data are not mutually exclusive. You can have both, and still have the same decision to make. Actually, it's a harder decision with the ratings on.

No one has yet produced a compelling argument to support stats only being more challenging or harder than playing with ratings on. It is simply different. Perhaps it is more fun for some - that's a matter of personal taste. But harder? Nope.
Orcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 01:58 PM   #227
Lockdog
Minors (Triple A)

It's not necessarily harder to play stats-only, but in a way more tedious. Going through and reading scouting reports takes a long. A shortcut to scouting report when you right-click on a player would makes things much more convenient.
Lockdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 02:11 PM   #228
The Wolf
Hall Of Famer

Infractions: 0/1 (1)
I go on vacation and come back and Orcin is still here spouting lies.

Stats only is far more challenging than vanilla OOTP. Having ratings on is video game mode in comparison.

If anyone out there has any doubts about this, just try it out for yourself and you can prove that it is more difficult. Seriously, play one stats only league following my guidelines on the first page and you'll KNOW it's more difficult.
Well, the average OOTP user...downloads the game, manages his favorite team and that's it.
According to OOTP itself, OOTP MLB play (modern and historical) outnumbers OOTP fictional play three to one.

Five thousand thanks for a non-modder? I never thought I'd see the day. Thank you for your support.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 02:16 PM   #229
Mr. Marlin
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcin View Post
Your story is the same with ratings on. The only difference is that you would make a choice to ignore mediocre or bad ratings and draft/play the player over the objections of your minor league manager and scout. You would do it for the same reasons, i.e. because you like something about the stats or the player's attributes. I do it a lot. I play with ratings on, but I don't ignore stats. That would be stupid. The two sets of data are not mutually exclusive. You can have both, and still have the same decision to make. Actually, it's a harder decision with the ratings on.

No one has yet produced a compelling argument to support stats only being more challenging or harder than playing with ratings on. It is simply different. Perhaps it is more fun for some - that's a matter of personal taste. But harder? Nope.
Knowing me his low potential ratings combined with poor AVG I probably would havre relased him in A ball.When I used ratings I was very predjudiced by them. Based solely on number he deserved promotion but I would have been distracted by the red and yellow bars. Turning them off has made ME a better player.

You know Orcin you're like an atheist in church in this thread. No one is trying to convince you of anything.
Old 01-02-2015, 02:26 PM   #230
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Knowing me his low potential ratings combined with poor AVG I probably would havre relased him in A ball.When I used ratings I was very predjudiced by them. Based solely on number he deserved promotion but I would have been distracted by the red and yellow bars. Turning them off has made ME a better player.

This is precisely my point. Turning ratings off has made the game easier for you by eliminating a contradictory data set.
Old 01-02-2015, 03:01 PM   #231
Mr. Marlin
All Star Starter

Ok, I'll buy that. In this one particular instance playing stats only did make the decision to promote him easier because there was no distraction from conflicting data. But I picked him out of a pool of 300+ players before the draft ever started based solely on stats becase even if his ratings were visible he would have been eliminated by any filter I'd have used. So based on stats only I found a diamond in the rough. It's easy to sort a draft pool by potential ratings. Especially if you are not using feeders and have nothing else to go on. It's harder at draft time without ratings.

After that if a player has history you can make as informed a decision on any player as your scout can ratings or stats. I guess there is not as much difference then. Stats only is much more challenging on Draft Day. On every other day it's a little more challenging. But championship teams are built on Draft Day.

Unless you're the Yankees.
Old 01-02-2015, 03:05 PM   #232
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
But I picked him out of a pool of 300+ players before the draft ever started based solely on stats becase even if his ratings were visible he would have been eliminated by any filter I'd have used. So based on stats only I found a diamond in the rough. It's easy to sort a draft pool by potential ratings. Especially if you are not using feeders and have nothing else to go on. It's harder at draft time without ratings.

You say it's harder to draft without ratings. Yet you also say that you would have eliminated this good prospect because of ratings, and you picked him (and thereby benefited) from using stats only. You don't see the contradiction here?
Old 01-02-2015, 05:01 PM   #233
jpeters1734
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
You know Orcin you're like an atheist in church in this thread. No one is trying to convince you of anything.
lol I think everyone is trying to convince him. I am with orcin on this. Stats only is more tedious but definitely not harder. It's just different. Apples and oranges. Vanilla and chocolate. Stats only can be chocolate just for wolf. Btw, no one answered my question.

"the thing that confuses me about stats only is even if you change the ai evals to 50/33/17, you can take a guy, jack up his ratings, have the computer set up the whole system, and boom he's in the major leagues. how is this so if there are no stats? I even tried this for a career minor leaguer with crappy career stats and the same thing happened.

Now editing ratings is not the way I want to play, but the point is the computer uses ratings regardless of your settings"

Founder and League Caretaker of the Professional Baseball Circuit, www.probaseballcircuit.com

An Un-Official Guide to Minor League Management in OOTP 21

Ratings Scale Conversion Cross-Reference Cheat Sheet
jpeters1734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 05:41 PM   #234
md5423
All Star Reserve

Even if stats only is not harder, I feel like it is the more realistic and immersive way to play. Can we all agree on that?
md5423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 05:55 PM   #235
jpeters1734
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by md5423 View Post
Even if stats only is not harder, I feel like it is the more realistic and immersive way to play. Can we all agree on that?
Immersive, sure. Realistic no. GMs have more info than stats to make decisions from

Founder and League Caretaker of the Professional Baseball Circuit, www.probaseballcircuit.com

An Un-Official Guide to Minor League Management in OOTP 21

Ratings Scale Conversion Cross-Reference Cheat Sheet
jpeters1734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 10:24 PM   #236
BIG17EASY
Hall Of Famer

What's harder for everyone is different. Not sure why people are trying to impose their opinions on others. Wish there was less of that around here.
BIG17EASY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 11:16 PM   #237
Orcin
Hall Of Famer

I agree. People should stop imposing their opinions on others. This thread was very productive until people started throwing around statements like "stats only is the ideal to strive for" and using ratings is like "playing the game on easy mode". Let's just talk about the methods and techniques for this style of play and stop trying to claim elite status for playing the game one way or another.
Old 01-03-2015, 09:37 AM   #238
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Ok, I'll buy that. In this one particular instance playing stats only did make the decision to promote him easier because there was no distraction from conflicting data. But I picked him out of a pool of 300+ players before the draft ever started based solely on stats becase even if his ratings were visible he would have been eliminated by any filter I'd have used. So based on stats only I found a diamond in the rough. It's easy to sort a draft pool by potential ratings. Especially if you are not using feeders and have nothing else to go on. It's harder at draft time without ratings.

After that if a player has history you can make as informed a decision on any player as your scout can ratings or stats. I guess there is not as much difference then. Stats only is much more challenging on Draft Day. On every other day it's a little more challenging. But championship teams are built on Draft Day.

Unless you're the Yankees.

Are you using scouting? Did you read the report? IF, so what's the difference?
PSUColonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 09:52 AM   #239
darkcloud4579
Hall Of Famer

I'm currently playing stats only and never play with scouts or coaches on.
darkcloud4579 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 12:16 PM   #240
PSUColonel
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkcloud4579 View Post
I'm currently playing stats only and never play with scouts or coaches on.
OK...that is consistent
PSUColonel is offline   Reply With Quote