Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 15 > OOTP 15 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 15 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2014 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 04-23-2014, 07:12 PM   #201
stevens84
Minors (Double A)

I know it was mentioned up thread somewhere, but maybe adding Tracy McGrady to the roster set should be re-discussed?

https://twitter.com/ChrisCotillo/sta...22290639155200
stevens84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 07:18 PM   #202
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevens84 View Post
I know it was mentioned up thread somewhere, but maybe adding Tracy McGrady to the roster set should be re-discussed?

https://twitter.com/ChrisCotillo/sta...22290639155200
Probably so
Lukas Berger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 07:18 PM   #203
mgom27
Hall Of Famer

You beat me to it and he is a Pitcher maybe he will make it.
Old 04-23-2014, 07:19 PM   #204
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by frangipard View Post
Also, don't know if this is a roster issue, but just putting it in this thread -- the ratings for international coaches (Taiwan, Italy, Mexico in particular) are insane.
It is a roster issue. They were game generated fictional guys who got added to the rosters for some reason. I've gotten rid of most of the Taiwanese guys. Working on the rest as well.
Old 04-23-2014, 07:23 PM   #205
rancer890
Minors (Rookie Ball)

In the latest roster set, Dustin McGowan's 2015 salary is $4 mil guaranteed. IRL, it's a team option with a $500k buyout.

Source: BR
rancer890 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 11:37 PM   #206
AirmenSmith
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rancer890 View Post
In the latest roster set, Dustin McGowan's 2015 salary is $4 mil guaranteed. IRL, it's a team option with a $500k buyout.

Source: BR
Now that is how to request a change IMO. Showing a source....good job

AirmenSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 07:52 AM   #207
smegma
Minors (Rookie Ball)

I haven't read past the first few pages, and I understand this sort of lobbying is precisely what you're not looking for.

However. Objectively, I take real umbrage with the potential ratings of two marquee players. Two of the most recognizable faces of the MLB, mainstays in almost every OOTP 15 dynasty that will be played. It's not a contract typo, but I'd sooner pain to do them justice. I have little doubt that you're each going to hiss and spit at me in unison for this, but it bears mentioning somewhere...:

(If, in fact, PECOTA also churns out potential ratings, well, here's some Bryce Harper sycophantism.)

Could someone who's not dismissing me out-of-hand please briefly address the potential ratings of Bryce Harper and Yasiel Puig, relative to one another?

'Cause

Last season, Puig was 22 years old and hit .319 off the strength of an exorbitantly lucky .383 batting average on balls in play. (This is second among everyone with 300 plate appearances — a tick above that Michael Cuddyer, who now and forevermore owns a batting title.) Harper was 20. With a decreased, pedestrian, perhaps unlucky .306 BABIP, Harper hit .274.

Substitute one BABIP for the other and Puig hits .265; Harper .330. The point at which Puig bats .274 is a BABIP of .318 — right in line with the career numbers of Cano, Tulowitzki, and Adrian Gonzalez. Harper, you'll remember, was hobbled for weeks, and is two formative years' Puig's junior.

Yasiel's real fast and licks the ball alright, so he may stand to BABIP higher. But OOTP gives me this

for him and Harper respectively, which seems emphatically disingenuous. Their 2013 numbers indicate that 22-year-old Puig made perhaps slightly better contact than did 20-year-old Harper. (Bryce, for his part, struck out 16% less often and walked about 50% more.) Yet Puig projects to hit .335 and Harper .306.

If nothing else, I question how one of the absolute best 19-year-olds in league history can make discernable strides in virtually every facet of the game and still warrant

this sort of regression. Who here believes Mondo's ceiling is .305 / 35 HR / 35 2B? This is important!

(Though on reflection, it might help combat his inevitable transformation into the Hulk during year three.)

But anyway. Thanks for everything. '15 and every iteration of OOTP is simply tremendous; this bit me, literally my only qualm. If I'm actually arguing with PECOTA, then I suppose I'm just a dummy.

Edit: Ammunition: Harper hit more line drives at a higher clip, meanwhile. 19.9% line drives for Bryce Harper, down from 22.5% in his rookie year (23.5% thus far in 2014 ahem injury); Yasiel Puig hit line drives 19.1% of the time. His bloody fly ball percentage was higher too. tl;dr: Augment and rectify Bryce Harper's potential ratings. Or don't.

Last edited by smegma; 04-24-2014 at 09:08 AM.
smegma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 10:25 AM   #208
OBSL Commish
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukasberger View Post
Sanatana is a problem for us. If we give him a catcher rating, the game won't start him at 3B or carry a third catcher for Cleveland.

In the end we decided that the best solution was to eliminate his C rating.
Why not just give him a C rating but platoon him to play every 5th game at C? That seems to be a good split since he's played 4 games out of 20 at C so far this season:

Carlos Santana Statistics and History - Baseball-Reference.com
OBSL Commish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 11:36 AM   #209
bwburke94
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBSL Commish View Post
Why not just give him a C rating but platoon him to play every 5th game at C? That seems to be a good split since he's played 4 games out of 20 at C so far this season:

Carlos Santana Statistics and History - Baseball-Reference.com
Because the AI will overwrite those settings.
bwburke94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 11:38 AM   #210
mgom27
Hall Of Famer

Also if you give him a Catcher rating they make hi the stating Catcher.
Old 04-24-2014, 12:20 PM   #211
rancer890
Minors (Rookie Ball)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirmenSmith View Post
Now that is how to request a change IMO. Showing a source....good job
Reminds me of my prof.

I wrote a lot of uni essays this year. It was just natural to have sources for information.
rancer890 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 12:37 PM   #212
bwburke94
Hall Of Famer

Seattle's VSL team is "Seattle (VSL)" with two spaces instead of one.

EDIT: Same thing with Detroit (VSL).

Last edited by bwburke94; 04-24-2014 at 12:39 PM.
bwburke94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 04:10 PM   #213
OBSL Commish
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwburke94 View Post
Because the AI will overwrite those settings.
Even if you force start him at 3B but give him the platoon split at C?
Old 04-24-2014, 04:27 PM   #214
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by smegma View Post
I haven't read past the first few pages, and I understand this sort of lobbying is precisely what you're not looking for.

However. Objectively, I take real umbrage with the potential ratings of two marquee players. Two of the most recognizable faces of the MLB, mainstays in almost every OOTP 15 dynasty that will be played. It's not a contract typo, but I'd sooner pain to do them justice. I have little doubt that you're each going to hiss and spit at me in unison for this, but it bears mentioning somewhere...:

(If, in fact, PECOTA also churns out potential ratings, well, here's some Bryce Harper sycophantism.)

Could someone who's not dismissing me out-of-hand please briefly address the potential ratings of Bryce Harper and Yasiel Puig, relative to one another?...
Not going to dismiss you, you make some excellent points. Potential ratings are not set by PECOTA, so some discussion regarding them is certainly acceptable, especially when done as thoroughly and factually as you have.

The deal with Harper is that we had to lower his potential ratings during beta. They were awfully high and he was essentially filling them out entirely during the 14 season.

As a result, he was hitting 50+ HR's and batting .330 in most 2014 season sims. So we lowered his potentials to prevent that from happening. We may have lowered them too much, and/or Puig's may be too high.

I'm all for taking another look at this. Do you agree Howard?

EDIT: Just going to add that this is the perfect example of the proper way to make a ratings related argument and get our attention.

Last edited by Lukas Berger; 04-24-2014 at 05:42 PM.
Old 04-24-2014, 04:30 PM   #215
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBSL Commish View Post
Even if you force start him at 3B but give him the platoon split at C?
We can't do that, don't have control over it. You can, if you want to, but we can't make the default rosters do that.
Old 04-24-2014, 09:01 PM   #216
Storm
Minors (Triple A)

Don't know if this has been reported -

C Brandon Brown is listed in the international amateur free agent pool at the start of the game; problem is, he was born in America.

Also, Luis Severino of the Yankees may be overrated. As is, he's generated as a top 20 prospect when he's not anywhere close to that in real life.
Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 10:26 PM   #217
haveband
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm View Post
Don't know if this has been reported -

C Brandon Brown is listed in the international amateur free agent pool at the start of the game; problem is, he was born in America.

Also, Luis Severino of the Yankees may be overrated. As is, he's generated as a top 20 prospect when he's not anywhere close to that in real life.
And apparently Brandon Brown doesn't even play ball anymore

http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats...pbp&pid=645167

I'll have a look at Severino a bit later
haveband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 10:29 PM   #218
OBSL Commish
All Star Reserve

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukasberger View Post
We can't do that, don't have control over it. You can, if you want to, but we can't make the default rosters do that.
Gotcha!
Old 04-24-2014, 11:17 PM   #219
Lukas Berger
OOTP Developments

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm View Post
He's not really rated like a top 20 prospect

He definitely a top 75-100 type prospect though and even higher on some lists.

Possible explanation: I've noticed the latest builds seem to rank pitchers with mid to high 90's stuff much higher than their overall ratings would indicate they should be. We may need to re-rate a few of those guys to reflect that.

I did drop Severino a bit, will keep an eye on him and check again next build
Old 04-24-2014, 11:41 PM   #220
STLKyle
Minors (Double A)

In the Mexican League Carlos Elizade should be "Carlos Elizalde". Team is the Carmen Delfines.

***Nevermind I changed it myself in the editor***
STLKyle is offline   Reply With Quote