Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - General Discussions
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

OOTP 14 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2013 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 02-06-2014, 10:02 PM   #1
BennyTheMarlin
Minors (Double A)

For those who have played Hall-of-Fame/Legends Leagues

I'm planning on setting up a Hall of Fame League this weekend. I've got rosters set and plan on a non-aging/non-developing setup, basically a Field of Dreams with Ty Cobb invited. I'm curious how others have set up similar leagues with regards to player importing. As of now, I'm looking at trying to pick out a peak season of each HOF'er to import. This seems like the obvious method, but it may give unfair advantage to those with big seasons over those with consistent excellence (Dazzy Vance maybe rated better than Maddux or Spahn, for example). Has anyone tried other methods like taking a 2nd or 3rd-best season? 5th? How have you picked from players with multiple peaks like early Bonds vs. late? (whoops, Bonds is no hall-of-famer).

Also, I'd just like to hear more generally what has worked best for people in this style of game.

Thanks.
BennyTheMarlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 07:19 AM   #2
pjh5165
Major Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyTheMarlin View Post
I'm planning on setting up a Hall of Fame League this weekend. I've got rosters set and plan on a non-aging/non-developing setup, basically a Field of Dreams with Ty Cobb invited. I'm curious how others have set up similar leagues with regards to player importing. As of now, I'm looking at trying to pick out a peak season of each HOF'er to import. This seems like the obvious method, but it may give unfair advantage to those with big seasons over those with consistent excellence (Dazzy Vance maybe rated better than Maddux or Spahn, for example). Has anyone tried other methods like taking a 2nd or 3rd-best season? 5th? How have you picked from players with multiple peaks like early Bonds vs. late? (whoops, Bonds is no hall-of-famer).

Also, I'd just like to hear more generally what has worked best for people in this style of game.

Thanks.
I've personally never played this way, but I think using the season that is closest to their career averages would be a good way to go about it.
pjh5165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 08:11 AM   #3
The Game
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyTheMarlin View Post

Thanks.
When I import I use based players performance on remaining years and I import them as rookies, I use fielding and pitching for career. This gives a player like Tim Raines the ability to play both 2B & LF
I have had no luck with Spahn in 3 different leagues. If you import him from 1942 he tends to become a reliever for his entire career. Gotta use Peak Seasons for him otherwise after 2-3 years he will also become a MR. and import him from 1946.
The guy attached is a clone of Spahn, so things are litle different then the actual player but this is basically what Spahn did in my All time Greats league from his rookie year on. i have edited Spahns best seasons for this guy the last 3 years and the Mets pitching is stacked.
Attached Images
Don't bottle your emotions till they crack and fill a couple just sorrows
Take your mind and refocus go get a paper write your goals out
Throw your middle fingers to all your haters

"Stay Strong"

The Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 09:32 PM   #4
Ike348
All Star Starter

For those who have played Hall-of-Fame/Legends Leagues

I look them up on BB-ref and pick their best season in terms of WAR, but now that I've read what you said, I might have to pick a different way.

However, the only outliers I've seen are the relievers that aren't rated highly because their best season in WAR might be early in their career as a decent starter, not as a dominant closer. But I'm kind of OCD, so I stick with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike348 View Post
Even in a parallel universe, the Astros don't make the playoffs.
Ike348 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 10:38 AM   #5
canaveral
Minors (Double A)

I personally don't like full all-star leagues; however, I have run leagues where I imported 2 or 3 players from the past per team and I always went with what looked to be their 3rd best seasons.
canaveral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 05:26 PM   #6
FunkyBike1
Minors (Double A)

In non-developing HoF leagues, I tend to go with the 2nd best season. Reflects peak performance without making one-year wonders too good. My upcoming league will use best seasons though.

Last edited by FunkyBike1; 02-09-2014 at 05:29 PM.
FunkyBike1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 10:37 AM   #7
bwburke94
Hall Of Famer

I tend to go with the season closest to their average performance.

For pitchers, I only count SP stats for starters and RP stats for relievers. So Pedro Martinez's brief ineffective stint as a reliever doesn't hurt his averages as a starter.
bwburke94 is offline   Reply With Quote