Home | Webstore
Latest News: OOTP 25 Available - FHM 10 Available - OOTP Go! Available

Out of the Park Baseball 25 Buy Now!

Go Back   OOTP Developments Forums > Prior Versions of Our Games > Out of the Park Baseball 14 > OOTP 14 - General Discussions

OOTP 14 - General Discussions Discuss the new 2013 version of Out of the Park Baseball here!

Old 01-30-2014, 12:18 PM   #41
tejdog1
All Star Starter

It's pretty much like... you have to CHOOSE to actively cheat in order to exploit this, though.
How I turn my head and lose it all

And it's unnerving
How just one move puts me by myself
There you go just trusting someone else
Now I know I put us both through hell

~Matchbox 20, "Leave"

Everyone knows it's spelled "TRAID", not trade
tejdog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 12:42 PM   #42
BIG17EASY
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tejdog1 View Post
It's pretty much like... you have to CHOOSE to actively cheat in order to exploit this, though.
Like Barry Bonds basically said, is it really cheating if I don't know what I'm doing? Online players could use the "Oh hey, what does this button do?" defense.
BIG17EASY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 01:08 PM   #43
le receveur
All Star Starter

Quote:

paraphrasing an illustrious forum member: "if the button is there, it's not cheating"
le receveur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 01:56 PM   #44
DelinoDeShields
Minors (Single A)

Hopefully he's saying he loved this hidden gem in the draft?

Scouting draft classes by your own wherewithal is beautiful and great.

Build your team.

Nobody's listening if you're saying computer drafted this game thus this game too easy.
DelinoDeShields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 02:15 PM   #45
Fyrestorm3
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DelinoDeShields View Post
Hopefully he's saying he loved this hidden gem in the draft?

Scouting draft classes by your own wherewithal is beautiful and great.

Build your team.

Nobody's listening if you're saying computer drafted this game thus this game too easy.
Er... What?

Either this was meant for another thread (though I can't see which one), or you missed the point entirely.
Fyrestorm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 02:24 PM   #46
le receveur
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrestorm3 View Post
Er... What?

Either this was meant for another thread (though I can't see which one), or you missed the point entirely.
good. i thought i was alone...

not sure getting a point is a goal in these interventions
Old 01-31-2014, 05:24 PM   #47
Honorable_Pawn
Hall Of Famer

All PBA games broadcast live on Steam.
Honorable_Pawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 07:25 AM   #48
Bowtie
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowtie View Post
Since this qualifies as a high priority in our Bug Reporting tool, I'm going to send Markus an email pointing him to the Project Tool (PT) report.
After giving this thread a bit more time to evolve thus allowing more facts to be posted I've decided against sending Markus the email - for now. Initially, I thought this may be something to possibly have fixed in OOTP 14 but after reading some posts I think it would be best if we fixed this in OOTP 15 - given that you have to use feeders and you also have to play in commish mode - two things that most either do not use (feeders) or will not play in (commish mode).

Cheers,
Bow

Bowtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 11:43 AM   #49
le receveur
All Star Starter

Quote:
After giving this thread a bit more time to evolve thus allowing more facts to be posted I've decided against sending Markus the email - for now. Initially, I thought this may be something to possibly have fixed in OOTP 14 but after reading some posts I think it would be best if we fixed this in OOTP 15 - given that you have to use feeders and you also have to play in commish mode - two things that most either do not use (feeders) or will not play in (commish mode).

Cheers,
Bow

no problem, but if you read post #39, I was able to get the same access to the player WITHOUT commish mode.
Old 02-01-2014, 11:56 AM   #50
BIG17EASY
Hall Of Famer

Quote:

Cheers,
Bow
You don't have to be in commish mode for this bug to be present, as confirmed earlier in the thread.
Old 02-01-2014, 12:06 PM   #51
le receveur
All Star Starter

related

the problem seems to be through the mailing interface system. Here is a guy who just had a career ending injury, and the announcement. Since he is not under contract with anyone your get a button Offer Contract

Name:  injur.JPG
Views: 266
Size:  92.9 KB

obviously on this case, the player tells you he is no longer playing baseball, so won't accept a contract...

(note: NOT in commish mode)
Old 02-01-2014, 12:16 PM   #52
BIG17EASY
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by le receveur View Post
the problem seems to be through the mailing interface system. Here is a guy who just had a career ending injury, and the announcement. Since he is not under contract with anyone your get a button Offer Contract

Attachment 323648

obviously on this case, the player tells you he is no longer playing baseball, so won't accept a contract...

(note: NOT in commish mode)
This IS NOT the bug that was reported by the OP. Let's not confuse Markus's team with mis-information. The bug deals with players from a feeder league who have been drafted who win an award in their feeder league.
Old 02-01-2014, 12:26 PM   #53
le receveur
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG17EASY View Post
This IS NOT the bug that was reported by the OP. Let's not confuse Markus's team with mis-information. The bug deals with players from a feeder league who have been drafted who win an award in their feeder league.
not totally true. player from feeder leagues who win Gold Gloves(another major award) DO NOT offer the opportunity, because the EMAIL does not have to box at the bottom, since it lists more than one player

so the bug does not appear to be from winning an award, but from the email.
Old 02-01-2014, 12:36 PM   #54
BIG17EASY
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by le receveur View Post
not totally true. player from feeder leagues who win Gold Gloves(another major award) DO NOT offer the opportunity, because the EMAIL does not have to box at the bottom, since it lists more than one player

so the bug does not appear to be from winning an award, but from the email.
Yes, but it has nothing to do with players who suffer a career-ending injury, so the screenshot you posted is very misleading and not relevant in any way.
Old 02-01-2014, 01:30 PM   #55
le receveur
All Star Starter

Quote:
Yes, but it has nothing to do with players who suffer a career-ending injury, so the screenshot you posted is very misleading and not relevant in any way.

I thought this example showed it has to do, with a FA and e-mails. this was just another example, so that the programmer can focus on the source. (instead of for example focussing of Feeder leagues, or award winners which I have seen quoted, as is not true as the GG clearly shows)..

if the programmer don't need the info, they can disregard it. was just trying to help them focus on the Source of the error, which seems to be FA and Email.

even this one, why would a retired guy, have a Offer Contract button. obviously it can't be abused, but it is still wrong, as he would likely be protected to his original team in RL.
Old 02-01-2014, 02:01 PM   #56
endgame
Hall Of Famer

Admittedly, I haven't explored the issue, but I will. I am however, drawn instinctively to the timing issues of events. IIRC, I was a bit befuddled by the OP when he mentions stealing the draft pick of such and such... Well, that means that the draft took place, the league drafted from, e.g. College, continues to play its season and generate stats and consequently awards. I'll have to look at my own league as it is right now, but it seems to me the season's over by the time I run the draft, especially the HS league, using feeders. So I'm probably wrong, but there's something about the event timing that's compelling me to wonder about its contribution to the problem.
Old 02-01-2014, 02:24 PM   #57
le receveur
All Star Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by endgame View Post
Admittedly, I haven't explored the issue, but I will. I am however, drawn instinctively to the timing issues of events. IIRC, I was a bit befuddled by the OP when he mentions stealing the draft pick of such and such... Well, that means that the draft took place, the league drafted from, e.g. College, continues to play its season and generate stats and consequently awards. I'll have to look at my own league as it is right now, but it seems to me the season's over by the time I run the draft, especially the HS league, using feeders. So I'm probably wrong, but there's something about the event timing that's compelling me to wonder about its contribution to the problem.

had actually never tested what OP saw, I had only viewed and tested pre-draft. Just after the draft, the player is not signed yet, so still considered a FA by OOTP, so even though he was drafted, he still has the 'offer contract' button in email.

as soon as the team that drafted him signed him, the email changed and the button disappeared. until that point I was able everyday to go make him an offer and negotiate with him.

(not commish... only had one who qualified, and he signed with drafting team, not sure what happens if player doesn't sign)
Old 02-01-2014, 03:22 PM   #58
Fyrestorm3
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
I think it's perfectly relevant. It's the same concept: a player that you normally should not be able to offer a contract to has an "offer contract" button when you get an email about him.

What le receveur was doing was showing that the issue is not confined to undrafted players - it happens whenever you get an email about a specific player who is not currently under contract. So therefore the root of the problem is not the feeder system. That's very important information for anyone who's trying to nail down the bug.
Old 02-01-2014, 03:58 PM   #59
BIG17EASY
Hall Of Famer

The bug the OP stated has nothing to do with free agents. It pertains specifically to players who are drafted from a feeder league and have not signed a contract yet. Players who have been drafted but have not signed yet are not free agents, as someone said a few posts ago. They are under team control until the signing deadline passes.

Quote:
OK, so here's the deal. Shortlist a bunch of highly rated prospects in the draft pool, even if you'll never have a shot at drafting them.

If any of them happen to win a league award in their league (college/high school), you'll receive an email about it, and in their little stats box thing, you can click 'offer contract'. I just did this and stole away the Rangers 9th overall pick, lol. Don't worry, I'm going to commish mode him onto their rookieball team, but this is kinda huge.
Old 02-01-2014, 04:01 PM   #60
Fyrestorm3
Hall Of Famer

Quote:
The bug the OP stated has nothing to do with free agents. It pertains specifically to players who are drafted from a feeder league and have not signed a contract yet. Players who have been drafted but have not signed yet are not free agents, as someone said a few posts ago. They are under team control until the signing deadline passes.
Correct. But the status of the player doesn't matter; whether the guy is retired or recently drafted, it's the same bug - you shouldn't be able to offer him a contract.